Start by marking “Tales of Henry James” as Want to Read:
Tales of Henry James

Tales of Henry James

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  197 ratings  ·  13 reviews
"The Author on His Craft" again reprints James s critical essay "The Art of Fiction" and related passages from his notebooks, including a new passage on "In the Cage." "Criticism" has been entirely updated and includes ten new essays by critics who during the last twenty-five years have helped to establish the lines of debate about James s tales. An updated Selected Biblio ...more
Published November 21st 2002 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Tales of Henry James, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tales of Henry James

Dracula by Bram StokerFrankenstein by Mary ShelleyWuthering Heights by Emily BrontëThe Sound and the Fury by William FaulknerDubliners by James Joyce
Norton Critical Editions
85th out of 235 books — 40 voters
The Iliad by HomerThe Odyssey by HomerThe Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark TwainThe Education of Henry Adams by Henry AdamsConfessions of St. Augustine by Frank Sheed
Franklin Library 100
58th out of 100 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Sketchbook
Henry the Great. For those waiting to tackle his novels with
wandering sentences loaded w parentheses, I suggest starting
w his novellas & short stories -- 9 in this volume. James isn't
airport-dentist office reading. He demands focused hours, pillows, a brandy-soda. Hortense Calisher wrote: "He never for one moment underestimated the intelligence of his readers. There are some who will never forgive him for it."

In his essay, The Art of Fiction, includ. here, James asks what exactly is experien
Corinne  E. Blackmer
This is an intelligent and varied selection of the tales (or short stories) of Henry James, and it gives ample evidence as to why James is a canonical author. I enjoyed the selections, as well, as I had never read "The Pupil," and found its exploration of a sensitive, morally upright, and precocious young boy who, along with his tutor, is manipulated by his fraudulent con artist parents, immensely moving and convincing. There are other masterpieces as well: "Daisy Miller," "The Jolly Corner," "T ...more
Taylor
“The Aspern Papers” is a tour de force, really brilliant and creepy.
Oleg Kagan
I had read some of the stories in this book before and had admired Henry James for his acute observations of human nature. This time, I read some of the stories and admired James's ability to craft some of the best sentences in the English language. Unfortunately, those great sentences did not translate into great stories and after reading all but two of the stories here I've decided to put it down.

Simply put, I got tired of the 'society' James trumpeted, his droll characters, and the plots tha
Gavin
Henry James is probably a good deal better than I give him credit for, but I really only like him when I'm in academic mode. The rest of the time, he's interesting but he really dries me out.

Hilariously, Wikipedia suggests that William Faulker once called James "the nicest old lady I ever met". Yes. Henry James may have been somewhat revolutionary in technique for the time, but not morally enough so for my liking. In that sense, his writing is trapped in a grey room with no doors. His writing is
Michael Tabb
I really, really want to understand this better; but god, it's amazing how well James can write a sentence (and an entire short story) without depicting more than a curious smudge.
Steven
Not exactly easy reading. James goes a little overboard in trying to emulate continental European short fiction, but it's still definitely worth the read.
Zane
This pleasant collection of short stories really helped me to forget my awful experience with James' "The Ambassadors". I love The Pupil most of all, but all are worth reading. I like this particular edition because of the extensive commentary section in the back of the book, each interesting in its own right. These stories really highlight James' talents as a writer, and they are not insufferable. I highly recommend them to anyone who likes 19th century literature.
Tiffany
I knew nothing about Henry James before I read his short stories for a class. When I read them, I LOVED them. They're fun and personal (lots of stories about people's lives, loves, and regrets), and some are haunting (e.g. "The Beast in the Jungle").
Michael Pakkala
Didn't read all of the stories, but from what I read pretty good. By no means James masterpieces, but a mediocre James is still worth a read. Not as dense as Portrait by far.
Beth
I didn't realize until this course that I actually love Henry James. :) His stories are pretty incredible. "The Beast in the Jungle" in my favorite.
Timon Karnezos
A great collection of short fiction. "The Real Thing", "The Pupil", and "The Beast in the Jungle" are my favorites.
Pedro
All of us, let's hail to the king of Fiction.
John
John marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Heather Mitchell
Heather Mitchell marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Caitlin Machell
Caitlin Machell marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Brando Barrios robles
Brando Barrios robles marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
987643467881 marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Jared
Jared is currently reading it
Nov 23, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Monti
Monti marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Glenn Stewart
Glenn Stewart marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
  • Nathaniel Hawthorne's Tales
  • Leaves of Grass and Other Writings (Norton Critical Editions)
  • Great Short Stories by American Women
  • Roman Fever and Other Stories
  • Coleridge's Poetry and Prose (Critical Edition)
  • Typhoon and Other Tales
  • Mythologies
  • Critical Theory Today: A User-Friendly Guide
  • The Norton Anthology of Poetry, Shorter Fifth Edition
  • Joseph Andrews / Shamela
Henry James, OM, son of theologian Henry James Sr., brother of the philosopher and psychologist William James and diarist Alice James, was an American-born author, one of the founders and leaders of a school of realism in fiction. He spent much of his life in England and became a British subject shortly before his death. He is primarily known for a series of major novels in which he portrayed the ...more
More about Henry James...
The Portrait of a Lady The Turn of the Screw Daisy Miller The Wings of the Dove Washington Square