Start by marking “Krispos Rising (The Tale of Krispos, Book One)” as Want to Read:
Krispos Rising (The Tale of Krispos, Book One)
Preview

Krispos Rising (Krispos #1)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  375 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Videssos was beset by enemies abroad and had fallen into decadence at home. But on his first night in the imperial capital, The Empires health mattered less to Krispos than finding a dry place to sleep.

Driven by crushing taxes from the farm where his family had lived -- and died -- Krispos had come to the. city seeking what fortune a good mind and a strong back could earn.
Published December 30th 2008 by Del Rey (first published January 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Krispos Rising, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Krispos Rising

L.
This book is, in my opinion, one of Turtledove's best. One of his problems is that many of the characters in his varied series are essentially the same; this does not happen here. The story too is relatively fresh. While it is a basic rags-to-riches plot, the execution is relatively flawless and the details are wonderful. The plot itself is loosely modeled on the rise of Byzantine Emperor Basil I (book two is largely based on Basil II) but the interaction of magic and other various details makes ...more
M.J.
"Krispos' Rising" is a fun, if superficial, fantasy novel that is not an essential read for anyone's list, but sufficiently achieves its aims.

I should disclose up front that this hardly qualifies as a real book review. This is more a trip through nostalgia. A retro review, if you will. When I was twelve each trip to the local library (before it moved and expanded) was met with a quick trip to the small fantasy section. I read this book multiple times. I can remember the countless creases in the
Fantasy Literature
The opening chapter of The Tale of Krispos really sucked me in. There is realism, which I'm always a fan of, and there are hardly any wasted words. At least that's how it is at first — but more on that later. Harry Turtledove does a great job of describing what is going on by working the information you need into the narrative in natural ways rather than just straight-out telling you certain facts.

The three books that make up The Tale of Krispos — Krispos Rising, Krispos of Videssos, and Krispos
Nathan
I read this book a long time ago, but I find myself thinking back to it regularly. I plan to finally read the next one soon.
Scott Gardner
First book was a good read , pity about the 2 that followed
Brentman99
Dec 07, 2013 Brentman99 rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who liked the Misplaced Legion series.
A really good series that I thoroughly enjoyed. Krispos rises through the ranks and the story of how he gets there is fun. I love the characters and Turtledove does a good job of keeping the world of Videssos alive. I enjoyed these books.
Kendra Schaefer
Meh. A passable take on the farmboy-becomes-king storyline, but nothing outstanding.
Peter
I really enjoyed this series. Typical fantasy series but well written.
Tavie
Not sure about this one, but we'll see.

...abandoned. Can't get into it.
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Jordan Carpenter
Jordan Carpenter marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
Jonathon Laudinsky
Jonathon Laudinsky marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
James Ledger
James Ledger marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
Neill
Neill marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
MXW
MXW added it
Mar 07, 2015
Jeremy
Jeremy added it
Feb 12, 2015
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Simon
Simon added it
Jan 26, 2015
Rob Olin
Rob Olin marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Michel Trépanier
Michel Trépanier is currently reading it
Jan 12, 2015
  • Memory Wire
  • Ambulance Ship  (Sector General, #4)
  • The Poison Master
  • Voyage of the Shadowmoon
  • Retief At Large
  • Orbital Decay (Near Space, #1)
  • Superluminal
  • Vengeance of the Dancing Gods (Dancing Gods, #3)
  • The Center of the Circle
  • The World Before (Wess'Har Wars, #3)
  • Die eisige Zeit (Das Spiel der Götter, #4)
  • Delusion's Master (Flat Earth, #3)
  • Lord Prestimion (Lord Prestimion, #2)
  • Brother Death (Matador, #8)
  • The Shuttered Room And Other Tales Of Horror
  • Nightside City
  • One King's Way (Hammer and the Cross, #2)
  • The Women And The Warlords
Dr Harry Norman Turtledove is an American novelist, who has produced a sizeable number of works in several genres including alternate history, historical fiction, fantasy and science fiction.

Harry Turtledove attended UCLA, where he received a Ph.D. in Byzantine history in 1977.

Turtledove has been dubbed "The Master of Alternate History". Within this genre he is known both for creating original sce
More about Harry Turtledove...

Krispos (3 books)
  • Krispos of Videssos (Krispos, #2)
  • Krispos the Emperor (Krispos, #3)
The Guns of the South In the Balance (Worldwar, #1) How Few Remain (Timeline-191, #1) Tilting the Balance (Worldwar, #2) Striking the Balance (Worldwar, #4)