Start by marking “Krispos Rising (The Tale of Krispos, #1)” as Want to Read:
Krispos Rising (The Tale of Krispos, #1)

Krispos Rising (The Tale of Krispos #1)

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  416 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Videssos was beset by enemies abroad and had fallen into decadence at home. But on his first night in the imperial capital, The Empires health mattered less to Krispos than finding a dry place to sleep.

Driven by crushing taxes from the farm where his family had lived -- and died -- Krispos had come to the. city seeking what fortune a good mind and a strong back could earn.
Published December 30th 2008 by Del Rey (first published January 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Krispos Rising, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Krispos Rising

Fantasy Literature
Sep 12, 2013 Fantasy Literature rated it liked it
The opening chapter of The Tale of Krispos really sucked me in. There is realism, which I'm always a fan of, and there are hardly any wasted words. At least that's how it is at first — but more on that later. Harry Turtledove does a great job of describing what is going on by working the information you need into the narrative in natural ways rather than just straight-out telling you certain facts.

The three books that make up The Tale of Krispos — Krispos Rising, Krispos of Videssos, and Krispos
L.
Oct 02, 2014 L. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is, in my opinion, one of Turtledove's best. One of his problems is that many of the characters in his varied series are essentially the same; this does not happen here. The story too is relatively fresh. While it is a basic rags-to-riches plot, the execution is relatively flawless and the details are wonderful. The plot itself is loosely modeled on the rise of Byzantine Emperor Basil I (book two is largely based on Basil II) but the interaction of magic and other various details makes ...more
M.J.
Dec 13, 2013 M.J. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, sf, nostalgia
"Krispos' Rising" is a fun, if superficial, fantasy novel that is not an essential read for anyone's list, but sufficiently achieves its aims.

I should disclose up front that this hardly qualifies as a real book review. This is more a trip through nostalgia. A retro review, if you will. When I was twelve each trip to the local library (before it moved and expanded) was met with a quick trip to the small fantasy section. I read this book multiple times. I can remember the countless creases in the
Jonathon
Jun 23, 2015 Jonathon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a pretty good read about a peasant farmer who ended up as Emperor.

I read the Kindle version which had some real glaring misspellings. Things like "mat" for "that" and "I V" for "I've" and what have you. Getting past that did not sour the reading of the book however. So if you enjoy the fantasy style books this is pretty good, although like most Turtledove books this can slow down in places and drag some. However his character building is very good as his world building I thought.
Nathan
Dec 27, 2014 Nathan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book a long time ago, but I find myself thinking back to it regularly. I plan to finally read the next one soon.
Scott Gardner
Aug 13, 2014 Scott Gardner rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
First book was a good read , pity about the 2 that followed
Brentman99
Dec 07, 2013 Brentman99 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who liked the Misplaced Legion series.
A really good series that I thoroughly enjoyed. Krispos rises through the ranks and the story of how he gets there is fun. I love the characters and Turtledove does a good job of keeping the world of Videssos alive. I enjoyed these books.
Kendra Schaefer
Meh. A passable take on the farmboy-becomes-king storyline, but nothing outstanding.
Peter
May 22, 2012 Peter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I really enjoyed this series. Typical fantasy series but well written.
Tavie
Not sure about this one, but we'll see.

...abandoned. Can't get into it.
Mike
Mike is currently reading it
Feb 08, 2016
Sara
Sara added it
Feb 07, 2016
Luck23
Luck23 added it
Feb 04, 2016
Chris Cook
Chris Cook rated it really liked it
Linda
Linda is currently reading it
M Sz
M Sz added it
Rick Ingersoll
Rick Ingersoll marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Tbfrank
Tbfrank rated it it was ok
Jan 28, 2016
Cynthia Nobles
Cynthia Nobles rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2016
Bengute
Bengute rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2016
Travis
Travis is currently reading it
Jan 24, 2016
Jan Bilski
Jan Bilski rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2016
Melodius
Melodius rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2016
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2016
Ron Williams
Ron Williams marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2016
Emesskay
Emesskay rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2016
Phillip Ruble
Phillip Ruble rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2016
Sam Williamson
Sam Williamson marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
  • Memory Wire
  • Orbital Decay (Near Space, #1)
  • The Poison Master
  • Ambulance Ship  (Sector General, #4)
  • Voyage of the Shadowmoon
  • Retief At Large
  • The World Before (Wess'Har Wars, #3)
  • The Gates Of Noon
  • Nightside City
  • The Women And The Warlords
  • The Face of Apollo (Book of the Gods, #1)
  • The Shuttered Room And Other Tales Of Horror
  • Brother Death (Matador, #8)
  • Lieutenant
  • The Center of the Circle
  • The Changing Land
  • Sir Stalwart (King's Daggers, #1)
  • Lord Prestimion (Lord Prestimion, #2)
Dr Harry Norman Turtledove is an American novelist, who has produced a sizeable number of works in several genres including alternate history, historical fiction, fantasy and science fiction.

Harry Turtledove attended UCLA, where he received a Ph.D. in Byzantine history in 1977.

Turtledove has been dubbed "The Master of Alternate History". Within this genre he is known both for creating original sce
More about Harry Turtledove...

The Tale of Krispos (3 books)
  • Krispos of Videssos (The Tale of Krispos, #2)
  • Krispos the Emperor (The Tale of Krispos, #3)