Start by marking “Krispos Rising (The Tale of Krispos, Book One)” as Want to Read:
Krispos Rising (The Tale of Krispos, Book One)

Krispos Rising (Krispos #1)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  354 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Videssos was beset by enemies abroad and had fallen into decadence at home. But on his first night in the imperial capital, The Empires health mattered less to Krispos than finding a dry place to sleep.

Driven by crushing taxes from the farm where his family had lived -- and died -- Krispos had come to the. city seeking what fortune a good mind and a strong back could earn....more
Published December 30th 2008 by Del Rey (first published January 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Krispos Rising, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Krispos Rising

L.
This book is, in my opinion, one of Turtledove's best. One of his problems is that many of the characters in his varied series are essentially the same; this does not happen here. The story too is relatively fresh. While it is a basic rags-to-riches plot, the execution is relatively flawless and the details are wonderful. The plot itself is loosely modeled on the rise of Byzantine Emperor Basil I (book two is largely based on Basil II) but the interaction of magic and other various details makes...more
M.J.
"Krispos' Rising" is a fun, if superficial, fantasy novel that is not an essential read for anyone's list, but sufficiently achieves its aims.

I should disclose up front that this hardly qualifies as a real book review. This is more a trip through nostalgia. A retro review, if you will. When I was twelve each trip to the local library (before it moved and expanded) was met with a quick trip to the small fantasy section. I read this book multiple times. I can remember the countless creases in the...more
Fantasy Literature
The opening chapter of The Tale of Krispos really sucked me in. There is realism, which I'm always a fan of, and there are hardly any wasted words. At least that's how it is at first — but more on that later. Harry Turtledove does a great job of describing what is going on by working the information you need into the narrative in natural ways rather than just straight-out telling you certain facts.

The three books that make up The Tale of Krispos — Krispos Rising, Krispos of Videssos, and Krispos...more
Scott Gardner
First book was a good read , pity about the 2 that followed
Brentman99
Dec 07, 2013 Brentman99 rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who liked the Misplaced Legion series.
A really good series that I thoroughly enjoyed. Krispos rises through the ranks and the story of how he gets there is fun. I love the characters and Turtledove does a good job of keeping the world of Videssos alive. I enjoyed these books.
Kendra Schaefer
Meh. A passable take on the farmboy-becomes-king storyline, but nothing outstanding.
Peter
I really enjoyed this series. Typical fantasy series but well written.
Tavie
Not sure about this one, but we'll see.

...abandoned. Can't get into it.
Lily
Lily added it
Oct 14, 2014
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Laura added it
Aug 28, 2014
James
James marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
by Ax
by Ax marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Peter
Peter added it
Aug 15, 2014
Zapherot
Zapherot marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Nick
Nick added it
Aug 05, 2014
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
  • King and Emperor (Hammer and the Cross, #3)
  • Orbital Decay (Near Space, #1)
  • I fiumi della guerra (Le Cronache del Ghiaccio e del Fuoco, #6)
  • The Rival (The Fey, #3)
  • Vengeance of the Dancing Gods (Dancing Gods, #3)
  • Ambulance Ship  (Sector General, #4)
  • Brother Death (Matador, #8)
  • The Shuttered Room And Other Tales Of Horror
  • The Poison Master
  • Voyage of the Shadowmoon
  • The World Before (Wess'Har Wars, #3)
  • Soldier of Arete
  • Starfarers
  • The Changing Land
  • Dark Horse (Dark Horse #1)
  • The Face of Apollo (Book of the Gods, #1)
Dr Harry Norman Turtledove is an American novelist, who has produced a sizeable number of works in several genres including alternate history, historical fiction, fantasy and science fiction.

Harry Turtledove attended UCLA, where he received a Ph.D. in Byzantine history in 1977.

Turtledove has been dubbed "The Master of Alternate History". Within this genre he is known both for creating original sce...more
More about Harry Turtledove...
The Guns of the South In the Balance (Worldwar, #1) How Few Remain (Timeline-191, #1) Tilting the Balance (Worldwar, #2) Striking the Balance (Worldwar, #4)