Start by marking “Madlenka Soccer Star” as Want to Read:
Madlenka Soccer Star

Madlenka Soccer Star

3.07 of 5 stars 3.07  ·  rating details  ·  100 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Madlenka--that cosmopolitan little girl whose city block is a world of its own--is back and ready to play! When she dribbles her brand new soccer ball out the door and around the corner, it seems that everyone wants to get in the game--the mailbox, a dog, even a parking meter, but especially all the neighborhood cats, and there are enough of them to make a team. But they'r ...more
Published September 28th 2010 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (first published September 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Madlenka Soccer Star, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Madlenka Soccer Star

The Wall by Peter SísThe Conference of the Birds by Peter SísThe Tree of Life by Peter SísKomodo! by Peter SísStarry Messenger by Peter Sís
Best of Peter Sis
8th out of 36 books — 4 voters
Science at Work in Soccer by Richard HantulaSoccer by Larry EdwardsThe Flea by Michael PartThe Keeper by Tim HowardWinners Never Quit! by Mia Hamm
Soccer - Youth (for Booked107)
7th out of 19 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Kevin Doyle
Feb 06, 2014 Kevin Doyle rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: girls aged 3 or up who LOVE soccer
I am a big fan of Mr. Sis's first (I assume) Madlenka book which is simply called "Madlenka". You can read my review of it here on Goodreads. The big, beautiful, artistic double page spreads in that book are captivating.

This one has the same quirky style showing these angular New York City buildings, but it's missing the super-detailed, canvas-worthy illustrations in "Madlenka".

However, I am a major soccer fan so I still dug this book. And really, that's all it's simply about - Madlenka and her
Melanie
Madlenka loves to play soccer. When she heads out in the morning with her soccer ball, dribbling through the neighborhood, everything she meets wants to play with her. The mailbox, parking meter, garbage can, cats... Wait. Cats? Cats like to play soccer? Yes they do!

Peter Sis ever mind-bending illustrations will give readers much to look at. Not recommended for storytimes as the pictures are very involved.
Allison
Jordan chose this book at our most recent library trip. Several weeks ago (after Sports Camp at our church) she started to show a lot of interest in soccer, and it was so neat to see her pick out a book off the beaten princess path because she wanted to read about the sport. Some of the themes were a little over her head (Madlenka is imagining that everything she meets is playing soccer with her. Jordan didn't quite get that Madlenka was pretending), but Jordan really enjoyed the parts with Madl ...more
Robynn
Adorable Madlenka plays soccer with her "friends".
Alice
I like Soccer (Football...no not the pigskin kind) This is my first Malenka sounds like a Russian name. Not that that is a problem, just the Russians have not been known for their superior Soccer Teams... Oh well, this was a nice enough book. It gets a 3 for me I liked it did not love it. The picture really emphasizes Madlenka. Everything is gray in the pictures except her. Let play some ball!
Kelly
Liked this one better than Madlenka. I liked how he put effort into drawing the people this time. I like how it shows flags and relates to the World Cup. I also enjoyed how she pretends to dribble around each thing on the street and they turn into people. Of course the building pictures look great.
Lindsey
Madlenka loves soccer. In her pretend play, she plays against a mailbox, a dog, and team of cats and is unstoppable.

Loads of easy to understand soccer terms, a nice history of soccer at the end of the book, and the word for "soccer" all across the world make this a nice book for ELLs.
The Library Lady
Sorry, Mr Sis, the whole world does NOT want to play soccer.
I don't, and neither do my daughters. Nor does my husband for that matter!
And much as I loved your other Madlenka books, this one left me as flat as a deflated soccer ball.
Eva Leger
What the hell is this? Where is the writing? Where is the text? Where the hell does the soccer even come in?
This was the first in out string of crappy kids books last week. So not worth bothering with.
Paula

Madlenka plays soccer in her city neighborhood--with the mailbox, a dog, a parking meter, and some cats. Includes facts about the game, and translations for the word "soccer" in various languages.
Kayla
Madlenka is a good book. At the end of the book it shows how soccer is played all over the world. While it was a good book, I wish they would have showed the culture of soccer more.
Mary Lee
"The whole world wants to play soccer."

Love the graphic at the end that tells the history of soccer, and how to say SOCCER in 45 different languages around the world.
Danie P.
Fun, quirky illustrations, easy sentence structure. Madelenka loves playing soccer with everyone in her neighborhood. Good for a preschool sports storytime.
I think this book will be more popular outsides the United States, where soccer seems more universal. It is cute, but not as good as the author's other works.
Peacegal
Awesome. This is what happens when you drop acid and play soccer.
Kathleen
Love the art in this one.
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2015
Tara
Tara marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
Shalina
Shalina marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Teresa
Teresa marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Ashley
Ashley added it
Mar 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
PETER SÍS is an internationally acclaimed illustrator, filmmaker, painter and author. Born in 1949 in Brno, Czechoslovakia, and grew up in Prague. He studied painting and filmmaking at the Academy of Applied Arts in Prague and the Royal College of Art in London. His animated work is in the permanent collection of the Museum of Modern Art. He came to America in 1982, and now lives in New York’s Hud ...more
More about Peter Sís...
The Wall: Growing Up Behind the Iron Curtain The Conference of the Birds Starry Messenger: Galileo Galilei Madlenka Tibet: Through the Red Box