Big Hairy Drama (Joey Fly, Private Eye, Book 2)

Big Hairy Drama (Joey Fly, Private Eye #2)

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  56 ratings  ·  16 reviews
A cold snap has blown into town like an unwanted house pest. But there’sonly one guy in the bugcity with the power to put crime permanently on ice: Joey Fly, Private Eye. He’salways on the lookout for trouble, and he runs into it when he meets Harry Spyderson, proprietor of the Scarab Beetle Theatre and director of the much-anticipated Bugliacci.

Greta Divawing, the four-wi...more
Published November 23rd 2010 by Henry Holt and Compnay (first published August 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Big Hairy Drama, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Big Hairy Drama

IndyPL Kids Book Blog
Joey Fly, Private Eye, and his sidekick Sammy Stingtail are back solving another mystery in Bug City. This time they are hired by the tarantula Hairy Spyderson, owner of the Scarab Beetle Theatre. Hairy’s leading lady, Greta Divawing, is missing. No leading lady means no show and no show means no money. Hairy is desperate and says money is no object - he wants his lady back! Hairy hands Joey a downpayment for his detecting:

“It was a hefty wad of bread, the crusty European kind. With this kind of...more
Carmine
Sep 26, 2012 Carmine rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 3-5th graders, Chet Gecko fans
I've often wondered why there is so much 'noir' mystery for young kids- clearly the context for this style isn't something your average 3-4th grader has a background in. I once read the Dragnet lampoon "Web Files" by Margie Palatini to a class of 2nd graders and it fell flatter than a pancake under a steamroller, see?

But this one works. It is funny, in a kid humor sort of way, lots of creepy bug action and it is pure noir-style, hardboiled private eye stuff. Joey Fly, private eye and his scorpi...more
The Miracle Man
Some gross jokes. But otherwise an enjoyable read.
NaomiRuth
I liked it well enough. I haven't decided if this is one of those books I'll end up holding onto, but if not I'll pass it on to a friend. It was fun and I'm glad I read it. I liked the color palette and the charactersw were interesting. It took me a little while to get into the world, but I don't if that's because it's a sequel to a book I never read.
Nancy Jo Lambert
This graphic novel is brilliant!!! The humor in this book is both laugh out loud funny and clever. The mystery aspect is very well done, and the characters of are genuinely interesting. The illustrations are magnificent, and I will be recommending this one to the kids!
Becca
This was a cute story about a super sleuth fly, Joey, who has to solve the crime of a missing starlet. The story flow was great and the illustrations really added to the story. I really liked this story.
Ashlei
not sure it is much of a YA level but think that younger kiddos will enjoy the humor and adults will enjoy the it as well on a (possibly) different level
Muhammad
This is one of the books Aaron Reynolds should be proud of because he did a great job on it!
Christine Fonseca
Such a great book! My review will be on my blog tomorrow, featured as my Bookanista review.
Karen Arendt
I love the humor in this book as well as the old fashioned black noir film overtones.
Turrean
A whole lot of silly with a bit of gross and a soupçon of noir.
Erin
Loved the opening line: "Life in the bug city. Hot. Wet. And wicked."
Ilib4kids
J REYNOLDS(ILL)
Joey Fly, Private Eye #2
Melissa
Like the first: very fun.
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Maxine
Maxine added it
Jul 16, 2014
Guen
Guen marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
Shanekia M.
Shanekia M. marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2014
Tiffanie
Tiffanie marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Creepy Carrots! Carnivores Chicks and Salsa Joey Fly, Private Eye in Creepy Crawly Crime Back of the Bus