Start by marking “Dave Barry Is Not Making This Up” as Want to Read:

3.97  ·  Rating Details ·  4,203 Ratings  ·  123 Reviews

You can't make this stuff up! Dave Barry would never lieand here are the real life, laugh-out-loud stories from across America to prove it: a U.S. Supreme Court justice shares his remedy for preventing gas ("I had not realized that this was a matter of concern in the highest levels of government"); a newspaper headline in Ohio announces the combustibility of strawberry Pop

Audio CD, 5 pages
Published September 1st 2006 by Phoenix Audio (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Dave Barry Is Not Making This Up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dave Barry Is Not Making This Up

Jim
Oct 21, 2014 Jim rated it it was amazing
This was a couple of dozen of his columns which I've always loved. The perfect length as my sense of humor tends to trip out after a while. I was cutting up a tree that ice storm took partially down in the horses' field while listening to this, so I had to take a few breaks when things got dicey.

(Lots of energy & twisting left in that big, old hackberry. I wish the wood was prettier as it was 16" in diameter & should make some nice bowls, but I'll have to stain them or something. I don'
Donna
Jun 02, 2016 Donna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I grew up reading Dave Barry's column right after reading the Garfield comic. I love Dave Barry. Some of his columns were so funny, others....well not so much. This collection of his essays/columns falls into the 'not so much', category. It kills me to say that, but this was not the laugh-out-loud stuff I love from him. So 3 stars because I think he is incredibly clever with his material.
Bethany White
Would I Lie To You?
Dave Barry tells it like it is…kind of.

Dave Barry
Ballantine Books, 1994

Dave Barry draws from his experience as a Pulitzer Prize-winning humorist and extracts the humor from everyday life. He counts on his readers to assist him in gathering any news or events of great importance: UFO sightings, Elvis giving tours of Graceland, and high-top sneakers with air pumps. One can’t forget the invention of Beano, either. Although presumably silly, each o
Voracious_reader
Jan 24, 2013 Voracious_reader rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Incredibly funny—Dave Barry is Not Making This Up—Dave Barry is the sort of person you’d love to sit close enough to eavesdrop on at a dinner party, but not close enough that you’d end up being in one of his stories. I particularly enjoyed invasion of the money snatchers: a story of a bunch of old guys trying to do the right thing by declaring income from a lottery win and ending up being sued by the government for money well in excess of what was won. The chapters are different 2-4 page article ...more
Jill
May 08, 2010 Jill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I came away from this book more convinced than ever that with DB, it's simply a matter of "the shorter the funnier". The REALLY LONG chapters (Elvis fans, and Trip to China, for example) = major snooze fest. The Lawn Rangers bit, also pretty nap-worthy. However I think I just should've put it down and come back to it a few more times rather than just go hell for leather and knock the whole thing off in one go. Because his formula can get boring if you don't take it in short, clean breaks.

In my
Sara
Sep 29, 2015 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ah, Dave Barry, I'm sad you're not writing columns anymore. But this is the next best thing...
Hilarious as always, but a surprise sneaky tear-jerker column hidden in there.

#9 in the read-through-the-bookshelf challenge.
Jason Axley
I remembered Dave Barry as being more funny (lol funny) recalling when I read him as a kid. But I also recall thinking that comics were amusing as well. He is a good writer but sad to say I cannot avoid comparing him to David Sedaris. I was looking for that funny-but-more-than-a-clever-chuckle kind. My wife and I would crack up at David Sedaris. But alas, Barry's stories were fairly interesting but more clever and amusing than really funny that I was looking for.
Kristin
Aug 05, 2012 Kristin rated it liked it
Shelves: comedy, audiobook
This was a rather average read. There were some absolutely laugh-out-loud parts, but by and large, he was only mildly amusing, and, during his longer essays, completely boring. I skipped tracks for his longer articles because he completely loses his humour in them. But, then there were parts where my guffaws filled every space in my car. Overall, a mediocre read.
Epizeuxis
Feb 01, 2015 Epizeuxis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who: enjoy Barry, seek a light read.
Not the funniest book of Barry's that I've read, but I'm not sure that it's meant to be overtly humorous. There is undoubtedly an emphasis placed on the quirks and oddities of everyday life, with the occasional serious piece that seems to be included more for informational interest or emotional impact than laughs.

Whatever his goals may be, Barry is consistently enjoyable. When he wants to be, he's hysterical (his piece dedicated to a mock political thriller novel is a riot). When he decides to p
Suzanne
Dec 30, 2013 Suzanne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Although the situations were humorous, I was not laughing out loud like I expected to be.
Lucy
May 01, 2011 Lucy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a collection of Dave's columns based around real-life things and events. Naturally it's largely humour, but has a few serious moments--an exploration of the Elvis phenomenon, a visit to Hong Kong before its reversion to China's rule, and Dave's twelve-year-old son being hit by a car.

I was interested to find that this somewhat tied into the last book (The Mothman Prophecies)--one article was about a rash of UFO sightings in Florida, with some direct quotes from some of John Keel's bo
mairywo
Sep 16, 2011 mairywo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a collection of Dave Barry's best and funniest columns. They range from hilarious to quite serious and cover every subject imaginable.[return][return]He talks about a science fair project with ants for his son's school, snakes and other animals coming out of toilets, loud passengers on airplanes, pop-tarts blowing up toasters and setting houses on fire, boating trips to Bimini, UFOs in Florida, circumcision, Zebra mussels in bras, burglar alarms, criminals in New York, worst songs a ...more
Daniel Brown
Aug 23, 2016 Daniel Brown rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anything Dave Barry writes is gonna be good. He's like Stephen King in that sense. His humor was great in here. It dragged a little bit in the middle of the book, but once he got onto the music chapters, it really started to roll. I really liked the Elvis writeup along with the "worst songs" bits. I was really surprised with the story about his son getting hit by the car. I don't recall ever reading anything of his that was so serious and touching. Thumbs-up to Dave.
Ash Ryan
Aug 18, 2015 Ash Ryan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
In addition to following up 1992's "Dave Barry Talks Back" with a collection of his weekly humor columns from the Miami Herald through 1994, this book also includes several longer pieces Dave Barry wrote for other publications, including one about the "natural" birth of his son, an expose of a Western Florida UFO hoax, and a couple of travelogues (of a sort) about a trip to China on the eve of Britain's withdrawal from Hong Kong and a boating trip to Bimini Bay. Also included is a rather serious ...more
Bill Eckhardt
Apr 25, 2015 Bill Eckhardt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you like Dave Barry . .

I like Dave Barry. This is one more in his collection of absurd metaphors. Most are very clever and I find them entertaining for days after I've read the book. However you may find repeating them to others who you think might find them hilarious also . . . Well let me put it this way, it may lose a bit in the translation.

I'm about to get another Dave Barry book to perk me up.
Lesli
Jan 09, 2009 Lesli rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Steve
Jun 07, 2015 Steve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was really fun - and dated. I averaged two or three good laughs every four pages. Barry is a master at a skillful exaggeration. Some of the content in this book sent me back mentally to the years of the Clinton presidency. If I ever write a humor book I am going to follow Barry's lead and take a picture of myself looking like a famous rock star - in his case, Jagger.
Liz
Mar 22, 2016 Liz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a small collection of Dave Barry's humorous columns. They were made even funnier by Arte Johnson on the audio version of this short book. (You remember Arte Johnson, don't you? He was the little, short dude on TV's "Laugh-in.")
Sarah Jowett
Jul 19, 2015 Sarah Jowett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Dave Barry and this book reminds me why his page at the Miami Herald online was my favorite bookmark all through the 90s (got married and had my son at the end so I was kind of distracted but I still got the books!).
Nancy
Jul 05, 2016 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I pick up Dave Barry's books to lighten things up and he never disappoints. I was banned from reading this book while in bed because my hubby said all that laughing shook the bed too much. I wonder what the inside of this guy's brain looks like. It works in strange and delightful ways.
Michelle Hicks
Disclosure: this review is for the audio book. I would have strongly preferred that Dave Barry narrate the audio book. The guy who narrated seemed much older & didn't have the comedic timing to give Dave's stories the humor they deserved.
Tori
Humor is the best way for me to stay awake while driving. This book was perfect because it was something the whole family could listen to.
Jen
Jun 12, 2009 Jen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You can't read this book and wonder why Barry is one of the leading humor writers in the world; his writing is riddled with laugh-out-loud gems. It usually takes a lot to make me laugh, but this book had me quaking with giggles so often I had to stop reading it at night, so I wouldn't wake my husband. The two longer chapters - one on UFOs and the other Elvis fans - aren't as funny, but show off Barry's talent as a more "serious" writer, and are still entertaining in their own right.

This book is
Cynda Garza
Jan 29, 2016 Cynda Garza rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, essays, satire
Laugh-out-loud funny. While the book may not be worth a re-read, it did introduce mem to another writer, and I will read other of his books.
Karenbike Patterson
Good for a few laughs while driving in the car. Especially funny the pieces on natural childbirth and circumcision.
Susan
Apr 28, 2013 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, humor
A friend gave us tickets to hear Dave Barry speak at a Celebrity Forum in May. In anticipation of the event, I got this audiobook from the library so we could listen during our drive to Lake Tahoe. The introductions are read by Dave Barry and the stories themselves are read by Arte Johnson (remember "Laugh-In"?). The stories vary, but some are laugh-out-loud funny. Even my reticent husband was really laughing at some of the stories, especially those we could relate to like the airplane passenger ...more
Charles Thorpe
Aug 27, 2015 Charles Thorpe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pure Dave Barry... lots of funny stuff and a couple of serious articles
Brent Stratton
I generally loved his columns but only for a few laughs out of this one
Andrew
Feb 22, 2015 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simple humor is always good. "SPOILER" Dave Barry did it! :o)
Maria Dudley
May 19, 2014 Maria Dudley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this a long time ago, but I loved it and all Dave Barry books.
  • All I Know About Animal Behavior I Learned In Loehmann's Dressing Room
  • The Late Night with David Letterman Book of Top Ten Lists
  • Fatherhood
  • Shave the Whales
  • Wildlife Preserves
  • Don't Bend Over in the Garden, Granny, You Know Them Taters Got Eyes
  • Just When I Thought I'd Dropped My Last Egg: Life and Other Calamities
  • No Shirt, No Shoes...No Problem!
Dave Barry is a humor columnist. For 25 years he was a syndicated columnist whose work appeared in more than 500 newspapers in the United States and abroad. In 1988 he won the Pulitzer Prize for Commentary. Many people are still trying to figure out how this happened.
Dave has also written a total of 30 books, although virtually none of them contain useful information. Two of his books were used as
More about Dave Barry...