3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  3,309 ratings  ·  86 reviews

You can't make this stuff up! Dave Barry would never lie—and here are the real life, laugh-out-loud stories from across America to prove it: a U.S. Supreme Court justice shares his remedy for preventing gas ("I had not realized that this was a matter of concern in the highest levels of government"); a newspaper headline in Ohio announces the combustibility of strawberry Po

Audio CD, 5 pages
Published September 1st 2006 by Phoenix Audio (first published 1994)

Jim
This was a couple of dozen of his columns which I've always loved. The perfect length as my sense of humor tends to trip out after a while. I was cutting up a tree that ice storm took partially down in the horses' field while listening to this, so I had to take a few breaks when things got dicey.

(Lots of energy & twisting left in that big, old hackberry. I wish the wood was prettier as it was 16" in diameter & should make some nice bowls, but I'll have to stain them or something. I don'...more
Bethany White
Would I Lie To You?
Dave Barry tells it like it is…kind of.

Dave Barry
Ballantine Books, 1994

Dave Barry draws from his experience as a Pulitzer Prize-winning humorist and extracts the humor from everyday life. He counts on his readers to assist him in gathering any news or events of great importance: UFO sightings, Elvis giving tours of Graceland, and high-top sneakers with air pumps. One can’t forget the invention of Beano, either. Although presumably silly, each o...more
Voracious_reader
Incredibly funny—Dave Barry is Not Making This Up—Dave Barry is the sort of person you’d love to sit close enough to eavesdrop on at a dinner party, but not close enough that you’d end up being in one of his stories. I particularly enjoyed invasion of the money snatchers: a story of a bunch of old guys trying to do the right thing by declaring income from a lottery win and ending up being sued by the government for money well in excess of what was won. The chapters are different 2-4 page article...more
Jill
I came away from this book more convinced than ever that with DB, it's simply a matter of "the shorter the funnier". The REALLY LONG chapters (Elvis fans, and Trip to China, for example) = major snooze fest. The Lawn Rangers bit, also pretty nap-worthy. However I think I just should've put it down and come back to it a few more times rather than just go hell for leather and knock the whole thing off in one go. Because his formula can get boring if you don't take it in short, clean breaks.

In my...more
Lucy
This book is a collection of Dave's columns based around real-life things and events. Naturally it's largely humour, but has a few serious moments--an exploration of the Elvis phenomenon, a visit to Hong Kong before its reversion to China's rule, and Dave's twelve-year-old son being hit by a car.

I was interested to find that this somewhat tied into the last book (The Mothman Prophecies)--one article was about a rash of UFO sightings in Florida, with some direct quotes from some of John Keel's bo...more
Thalia
This book is a collection of Dave Barry's best and funniest columns. They range from hilarious to quite serious and cover every subject imaginable.[return][return]He talks about a science fair project with ants for his son's school, snakes and other animals coming out of toilets, loud passengers on airplanes, pop-tarts blowing up toasters and setting houses on fire, boating trips to Bimini, UFOs in Florida, circumcision, Zebra mussels in bras, burglar alarms, criminals in New York, worst songs a...more
Lesli
Jen
You can't read this book and wonder why Barry is one of the leading humor writers in the world; his writing is riddled with laugh-out-loud gems. It usually takes a lot to make me laugh, but this book had me quaking with giggles so often I had to stop reading it at night, so I wouldn't wake my husband. The two longer chapters - one on UFOs and the other Elvis fans - aren't as funny, but show off Barry's talent as a more "serious" writer, and are still entertaining in their own right.

This book is...more
Susan
A friend gave us tickets to hear Dave Barry speak at a Celebrity Forum in May. In anticipation of the event, I got this audiobook from the library so we could listen during our drive to Lake Tahoe. The introductions are read by Dave Barry and the stories themselves are read by Arte Johnson (remember "Laugh-In"?). The stories vary, but some are laugh-out-loud funny. Even my reticent husband was really laughing at some of the stories, especially those we could relate to like the airplane passenger...more
Janie
I used to really like Dave Barry, so I picked up this collection to read and I found that he is still enjoyable but the stories in here seem somewhat dated. Originally published in 1994 the stories seemed stale. I don't know if it is because I read them before (I might have since I used to watch for his column in the paper) or it may be that I am at a different place in my life. If you haven't tried a Barry book, by all means try one. but try one of his newer books. Very short collection.
Jason Axley
I remembered Dave Barry as being more funny (lol funny) recalling when I read him as a kid. But I also recall thinking that comics were amusing as well. He is a good writer but sad to say I cannot avoid comparing him to David Sedaris. I was looking for that funny-but-more-than-a-clever-chuckle kind. My wife and I would crack up at David Sedaris. But alas, Barry's stories were fairly interesting but more clever and amusing than really funny that I was looking for.
Chy
I just needed to laugh and nod my head, and this is one I hadn't read. There are a few Barry collections out there like that, but I don't make any effort to get at them. Like with David Sedaris, I'm scared to be all done.

Now, for needing to just laugh, I go to Barry. For liking some grittiness and touched-ness in there, I go to Sedaris. But damned if Dave Barry didn't almost make me cry.

These humor people, they get me.
Stephanie
I have to include this because Dave Barry actually taught me how to be a satirist. Yeah...not Jonathan Swift, Dave Barry. My English teacher introduced me to him when I was in high school and asked me to start imitating his style. From essentially directly biting off of him, I was able to shape my own writing style and become an effective (and in some circles, popular!) satirist in my own regard. Thanks, Dave!
Lois Tucker
This was very entertaining on books on CD. The reader is excellent. Dave Barry is a humorist from Miami whose material invariably visits booger and scatological jokes, and his other stories can be very entertaining. I wondered, as I listened to one segment about readers sending in their votes for the worst song of all time (by snail mail), how the Internet has affected his column.
Kristin
This was a rather average read. There were some absolutely laugh-out-loud parts, but by and large, he was only mildly amusing, and, during his longer essays, completely boring. I skipped tracks for his longer articles because he completely loses his humour in them. But, then there were parts where my guffaws filled every space in my car. Overall, a mediocre read.
Jen
I have this one on my nightstand for nights when I am too worried to go to sleep. The short essays in the book are perfect for giving me something to read to make me laugh and relax me. Yet they are not the long story that will keep me reading until the wee hours of the morning. I have read this so many times I practically have it memorized. Love it.
Sher
I love Dave Berry. He makes me smile. He makes me laugh so hard I cry. And sometimes he makes me think. He can be tender and serious, as this book proves out. But mostly he just makes me happy. Sometimes I just can't take another heavy book, and I need a little fun and lightness in my life. That is the time to turn to Dave Barry.
Ed Dodson
Dave Barry is my favorite humorist. I have read 2 of his books and been fortunate enough to hear him speak. This collection of his colums is great. Just right to read one per night to reboot the brain. I especially liked the one about helping his son do a science fair project. I recommend this book, and plan to move on the next.
Jason
Oct 03, 2007 Jason rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Anyone wanting a laugh
Syndicated columnist and novelist Dave Barry is quite simple one of the most hilarious people in the English speaking world. I picked this book at random, but could have put any of his stuff up, as they're all good for a hearty gut laugh. Not what you'd call terribly deep, but freakin' hilarious and thoroughly entertaining!
Mark Bouton
Somewhat outdated, due to its publication date, but still, some things never change. Very clever in his observations of the world and its foibles and exceptionally adept with hilarious turns of phrase. I've read a couple of his novels, too, and I'd recommend his books to anyone with a working sense of humor.
Carolhs
Dave Barry is funny, as usual, in this collection of his columns. I skipped the longer chapters--just wasn't in the mood. However, the rest of the book had me laughing out loud. I love the way DB starts a thought, and gives it an unexpected comic twist at the end. Love when he writes about his moronic dogs.
Lisabet Sarai
Although this book is roughly fifteen years old, it's still pretty hilarious. I particularly loved the series of articles on the Worst Song Ever competition and on sailing to the Bahamas. Actually, though, the best essay in the book may be Barry's mostly serious piece about people who love Elvis.
Matt
Loved the way Dave Barry can take a mundane thing like driving a boat to an island and turn it into a hilarious experience.

This book was written over 20 years ago, so it is also interesting to read his insights into topics such as mainland China and compare it to what I see today.
Joe
This is my least favorite Dave Barry book I've read so far, but it's still good. He had some longer articles in here that weren't funny, but he made up for it in the last 3rd of the book with some good stuff. This is some of his earlier work. I believe '94 was the publication year.
Laurel
I don't really remember which of these books is which, but most of the ones I read are both genuinely amusing and appropriate to admit to being amused by in most settings. I remember his formula becoming boring after a while though. Or maybe his books went downhill over time.
Mari
Laughed out loud in MANY places in this collection of essays. My mom checked it out for me while home, and it was a great thing to read during slow times. Definitely think reading funny essays is a good way to become a better writer. We'll see though!
Kim
A sentimental favorite because my mom bought it and got it signed by Dave Barry while I was at home recuperating from having my wisdom teeth pulled--and all my friends were celebrating senior week and college graduation. But then it made me laugh, which hurt.
Suzanne
Although the situations were humorous, I was not laughing out loud like I expected to be.
Margo Seiple
I love Dave Barry-- he cracks me up! I will actually laugh out loud while reading. He's not profane or lewd, just funny to the max! If you've never had the pleasure of reading his work, you should!
  • All I Know About Animal Behavior I Learned In Loehmann's Dressing Room
  • Wildlife Preserves
  • Shave the Whales (Dilbert, #4)
  • Don't Bend Over in the Garden, Granny, You Know Them Taters Got Eyes
  • Deep Thoughts
  • Fatherhood
  • The Late Night with David Letterman Book of Top Ten Lists
  • No Shirt, No Shoes...No Problem!
Dave Barry is a humor columnist. For 25 years he was a syndicated columnist whose work appeared in more than 500 newspapers in the United States and abroad. In 1988 he won the Pulitzer Prize for Commentary. Many people are still trying to figure out how this happened.
Dave has also written a total of 30 books, although virtually none of them contain useful information. Two of his books were used as...more
More about Dave Barry...
Peter and the Starcatchers (Peter and the Starcatchers, #1) Peter and the Shadow Thieves (Peter and the Starcatchers, #2) Peter and the Secret of Rundoon (Peter and the Starcatchers, #3) Big Trouble Peter and the Sword of Mercy (Peter and the Starcatchers, #4)