Start by marking “Winter Dreams, Christmas Love” as Want to Read:
Winter Dreams, Christmas Love

Winter Dreams, Christmas Love (Point Romance)

The author of the popular Sunfire romance series offers a bittersweet tale of young love and the problems of separation. Ellen Marlowe is in love with Michael Tyler, handsome upperclassman, star of the swim team. And when Michael goes off to college, Ellen is left behind to wonder if she can ever get over him.
Published October 1st 1992 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about Winter Dreams, Christmas Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winter Dreams, Christmas Love

The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George SpeareMara, Daughter of the Nile by Eloise Jarvis McGrawDaddy-Long-Legs by Jean WebsterTime Enough for Drums by Ann RinaldiAnne of the Island by L.M. Montgomery
Old-School Teen Historical Romance
187th out of 233 books — 97 voters
The Wind Blows Backward by Mary Downing HahnThe Unlikely Romance of Kate Bjorkman by Louise PlummerThe China Garden by Liz BerryWinter Dreams, Christmas Love by Mary Francis ShuraMy First Love by Callie West
Teen Romance of the 1990s
4th out of 53 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

I refuse to be judged by my love of this book. I've read it every Christmas season since I got it through the Troll book club in the 7th grade. Sometimes a girl just needs a cheesy YA romance. And, seriously, are there any people out there who didn't fantasize about finding out that their unrequited high school crush liked them back? Come on!
Natasha Chowdory
I read this when I was about 15, and for some weird reason it just stuck with me! Although I am a lot older and wiser, this book is still very charming and very much a product of it's time! lol everyone just 'falls in love' as soon as they clap eyes on one another. And it's very idealised as our herione Ellen does not more than 'date' and 'kiss' the boys that she sees. It would appear that she's saving herself for Michael! And on a 3rd reading it would appear that Michael is actually just a bit ...more
Dec 19, 2010 Amanda rated it it was amazing
This book is so simple and sappy. There's no difficult plot elements here: A freshman gets a huge crush on an upperclassman, a Big Man on Campus. The book chronicles their relationship-or lack thereof. I first read this as a high school student and it always brings me back to those days..a time of first loves, and requited crushes. Nothing hurts more than a broken teenage heart. Nothing feels better than finding out your crush likes you too....this book is wonderful.
Jul 19, 2009 Tammy rated it it was amazing
My friends and I passed this book around all through high school....and we love, love, love it...I still own it and read it from time to has seen better days:)
Sep 16, 2009 Ronica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This was my real romance novel, I loved all the characters in the book. I wish I had a copy of this book but alas it is out of print.
Sati Marie Frost
I work as a youth worker and crisis support worker in an inner-city community centre, and one of my jobs is teaching English literature (although it's more critical thinking than English really; I don't care what they read and what they think about as long as they read and think about SOMETHING) to 12-18 year olds from Dagenham, Brixton and Peckham.

And when they ask me what my favourite book is, I have to tell them it's a YA novel from the early 90s about rich white American kids doing rich whit
Jun 29, 2013 Kelly rated it really liked it
Shelves: high-school, olympia, 2013
I don't read a lot of romance novels, but there's something about this book that I adored in high school, and which was surprisingly still there for me, rereading it as an adult. The main character, Ellen, is a believable high school student. She has passions (running, biking, and designing sets for the school play). She recognizes that her attraction to Michael is distracting her in unhealthy ways. She continues to pursue other relationships, sees her friends, has a life, even though Michael is ...more
Jan 06, 2010 Stirling added it
Recommends it for: people who like the ease and satisfaction and teenage heartbreak of cheesy teenage romances
This is one of three cheesy teenage romances that I reread almost every year (always at Christmas–in fact, it's about that time as I write this!). It has just the right amount of heartbreak and thrills, with actually a longer road to the happy ending than in most CTRs, which is part of its appeal. It's not an easy love story–but it is, ultimately, satisfying. And all the winter & Christmas scenes make me feel all snowy and cozy (even though I live in Southern California).

For the record,
Nov 08, 2014 Lakea rated it it was amazing
I can't even count the number of times I've read this book throughout the years. Each time it gets better and better!
Nonea Mcfarlane
Feb 26, 2014 Nonea Mcfarlane rated it really liked it
I read this when I was about 13 and for some reason it just stuck with me over the years.
Jan 13, 2014 Elena added it
I have read this book almost every winter since I was about 15 years old. I don't read it because it is a wonderful book, but because it is a tradition that makes me feel like a teenager for 2 days :)
Dec 30, 2013 Stephanie rated it really liked it
I loved this book as a teen, and I thought it would be a fun Christmas read. It didn't disappoint, and I adore these characters as much as I used to. It was neat to read this as an adult and find that Ellen is a worthy role model, not the typical empty headed love-sick girl you might expect for a YA novel of the time (though she does have her moments). I hope she and Michael Tyler are happy today!
Nov 10, 2013 Jaclyn rated it really liked it
I read this when I was about 14, and it was such a sweet book. I think I read it every winter for a few years. I loved Ellen's mature attitude and her determination to move along and have a fulfilling life even while heartbroken over Michael. Her character always motivated me for some reason. Its probably a bit outdated now, but it's a very cute story for young teens.
Nov 22, 2013 Ellen rated it really liked it
I bought this book in 1992 when I was in junior high and fell in love with it. I read it many times over the next couple of years. I picked it up again yesterday after nearly 20 years and devoured it. It's like going home. Ellen was an inspiration to my teenage self and I had a lot in common with her. This book has stayed with me and I think about it each Christmas.
May 22, 2011 Virag rated it it was amazing
I found this book when I was just starting middle school, and I've read it countless times over the past years. It's a fairly cheesy book with a happy ending, but everybody has at least one that they love. It's just so simple and pure; and Ellen, though she's a softie, is definitely very strong in her own way and makes a great realistic heroine.
Dec 23, 2015 Amber rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: teenagers
This was my favorite book in high school. One of the few I've read more than once. It's probably not that good now if I went back and read it, but at the time it was the best!

Update December 23, 2015 - Just read it again over the last 3 days. It's so cute! I really enjoyed reading it again as an adult.
Dec 30, 2013 Tina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
I read & re-read this book when I was young (I happily blame it now for my love of reading & reading romance) I don't know if I would feel differently, if I first read it as an adult, but I don't care how old I am now, I absolutely Adore this book! Will always be one of my favorites!
Sep 25, 2011 Erin rated it really liked it
Book from my childhood...for some reason the characters and story popped into my head and I couldn't remember the title...finally found it. This was probably the first romance book that really spoke to me. Classic tale of unrequited love over the years. It's a beautiful story.
Aug 06, 2016 Tonya rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2016
21 years it took to get my hands on this book and it didn't disappoint. It is a very good read.

Ellen and I aren't identical twins but I have felt, am feeling, the way she feels about Michael. I just always have a different ending from the story books.
Bonnie Bruiser
Dec 21, 2010 Bonnie Bruiser rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My first book, bought for me by my dear Aunt. My introduction to romantic fiction. I still think of it fondly and have re-read it a couple of times over the years.

Unrequited love... or is it? THE TWILIGHT SAGA reminded me of this book. Perfect for teens.
Jan 25, 2012 Molly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, favorites
Read this way back when (1992!!!!!!) and was recently reminded of it. An AWESOME friend just gave me a copy from Amazon!!! Yup, it was just as good/bad/awesome as I remember.
May 23, 2011 Jaime rated it really liked it
Wanted to include this book because in Jr. High I fell in love with reading, in part, thanks to this book. I love a good romance and this story made me believe in LOVE. I loved it then and I will love it always....
Jan 09, 2012 Katie rated it liked it
My one teen romance novel, just to say i read one. I remember reading about half of it and then picking it up months later to finish it. I still have it...need to read it again to remember my thoughts exactly.
Jan 21, 2009 Gwynne rated it it was amazing
I channelled my high school girl years to select this rating. I cannot count how many times I read this book in a span of three years. Total high school girl romance novel, and I ate it up!
Kiran Whittaker
Mar 10, 2008 Kiran Whittaker rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone wanting to remember what its like to love in highschool.
I absolutley love this book. It is the perfect young love story. The names Micheal Tyler, Ellen Marlow are perfect for this novel. Micheal reminds me of Jake Ryan from Sixteen Candles.
Nov 08, 2010 Jeanna rated it really liked it
I loved this book more than I can explain. I can't begin to tell you how many times I read it growing up, just that I read it until my copy literally fell apart.
Feb 24, 2011 Bobbi rated it it was amazing
I read this book every summer. It brings me back to my high school days as a freshman when I had a crush on a Senior that didn't know I existed.
Oct 07, 2010 Kory rated it really liked it
I read this in high school and think it is the most romantic book ever. It is for the romantic highschooler still within you....he he
Michelle Nangle
Feb 23, 2015 Michelle Nangle rated it it was amazing
Love this book. Have read this book since childhood, it's like watching a good movie over and over. Read it every Christmas
Oct 22, 2009 Meghan rated it liked it
Yeah, it's a bit of a sappy romance, but the writing's decent and it's not trashy... it appeals to the romantic in me. :)
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Last Dance (Saturday Night, #2)
  • Patti's Luck (Sleepover Friends, #1)
  • The Haunting of Grade Three
  • Paladin's Woman (The Protectors, #2) (Silhouette Intimate Moments #515)
  • The Wind Blows Backward
  • Remember Me to Harold Square
  • Two Flowers for the Dragon, Vol. 1
  • 大好きだったよ、先生。。。[Daisuki Datta yo, Sensei...]
  • California Girl (Sweet Dreams, #6)
  • Wrong-Way Romance (Sweet Dreams, #176)
  • Kiss Me, Creep (Sweet Dreams, #63)
  • Partner-Protector (The Precinct, #1)
  • The Against Taffy Sinclair Club (Taffy Sinclair, #1)
  • Friends for Life (Friends, #1)
  • I'll Ask You Three Times, Are You OK?: Tales of Driving and Being Driven
  • Beginners (The Gymnasts, #1)
  • Taking the Heat
  • The White Fox (The Seven Stars, #1)
Mary Francis Young was born on 23 February 1923 in Pratt, Kansas, the daughter of Jack Fant and Mary Francis (Milstead) Young. When she was very young, her family moved to the Pacific Northwest, where she raised. She studied at Maryville State College. On 24 October 1943, she married Daniel Charles Shura, who died in 1959. They had two children: Marianne Francis Shura (Spraguc) and Daniel Charles ...more
More about Mary Francis Shura...

Point Romance (1 - 10 of 35 books)
  • Winter Love, Winter Wishes
  • A Winter Love Story
  • Malibu Summer
  • Saturday Night (Saturday Night, #1)
  • Last Dance (Saturday Night, #2)
  • Summer Nights (Saturday Night, #4)
  • New Year's Eve (Saturday Night #3)
  • In Sickness and in Health
  • Till Death Do Us Part (First Comes Love, #4)
  • For Better, for Worse: First Comes Love