Start by marking “Gentle Annie” as Want to Read:
Gentle Annie

Gentle Annie

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  176 ratings  ·  32 reviews
A fictionalized biography of Anna Blair Ethridge, a Union Army nurse.
Published March 1st 1994 by Scholastic Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Gentle Annie, please sign up.

Meghan So sorry this is so. Late but I'm pretty sure it is .. Umm looking at the book right now ooo Apple paperbacks!!

I found this book to take the reader on a voyage backstage of the Civil War, where it showed the life of women (or a certain woman) and what they went through during this ugly time in US history. Anna Blair Etheridge was 1 out of 18 to join as a battlefield nurse, however, when the going got tough, she was amazingly the only female to stay and perform what she knew best. The story walks through actual battles and how Anna (Annie) had to join the men (on both sides) and conquer her fears to stay ...more
Anyce Paul-Emile
I thought that this was a touching story of this young women who wanted to help the sick and wounded after she lost so much. This story does have a theme of, do what is write, not what you want.
I read this several times when I was ten/eleven/twelve and found the story well told and interesting. I learned some history from it, and was impressed by Annie's heroism and selfless service, as well as those she worked with. I think I may have kept going back to it, though, because I found the ending unsatisfactory. I still felt lost and restless, like Annie could never have real peace and a place of her own again.
The characters are well portrayed, the battles and storyline are clear and easy
Not terrible. Towards the end it just becomes lists of dates and names that are confusing for elementary age kids, but the story itself is neat.
Shannon Clark
This historical novel about a Civil War nurse made me sob. Truly it did. It brought the solders' deaths to a personal level through the eyes of Annie, a nurse during the civil war who went into the battlefield with the soldiers. In fact, it brought the entire Civil War to a personal level for me.

I have never been a big fan of history-reading and memorizing dry facts that didn't mean anything to me. It's so different when reading a historical fiction book-I feel like I know these people and can f
I first read this book when I was probably around twelve years old. I still have the old worn copy of the book on my bookshelf. I really enjoyed the book. Even though I come from a family who had relatives fight in the Confederate army and the main character is a Union nurse, I still felt like she is a character who would stick with me. She helped so many soldiers no matter what side they were on. She was so caring and stayed when all the other nurses left. I love to pick up this book and read i ...more
It was pretty good
This is a good book! Anyone interested about nursing must read it.
Emma Jane
It was a cute Civil War story, but it just didn't hold me. With the lure of so many other books I felt like I didn't need to finish this one. I do think younger readers would enjoy it, though.
Great for middle grade readers who want a quick, easy lesson in Civil War history and important figures like Annie Etheridge. However, for older readers the story lacked the detailed history and emotional depth and plot that other historical novels (especially those by an author like Ann Rinaldi) demonstrate so well.
I was reading through one of my old journals and found an entry about this book. I apparently loved it and wanted everyone to read it. I do actually remember reading it are really liking it. It would be nice to re-read now that I am a bit older. But, from my younger self... you must read.
oh my god. this was such a great book. i cried when general kearney died cuz he supported annie so much. i was really proud of will actually beinghealthy and safe all through war, but i cried the most when edwin powers died. It actually felt like i was right next to annie when he died.
Aug 01, 2011 Jim added it
A fictionalized biography of Annie Etheridge, known as "Michigan Annie" or "Gentle Annie", who was a volunteer nurse w/ the 2nd & 3rd Michigan Volunteer Infantry regiments in the Army of the Potomac from First Bull Run to the Siege of Petersburg. A quick read but worthwhile.
Anne Mallamo
"She was beloved by the men of her regiment, writing letters for them to their loved ones, and comforting them in their pain."

I thought this book was well written for a younger kids book. But I didn't find it to be my kind of reading.
This was one of the books that got me interested in historical fiction in 5th grade (I've been reading it ever since). We were assigned to read one book out of five on the civil war era. I read all five because they were all excellent!
090713. This book is a true story about a young girl who who marched, nursed, and wrote letters for the soldiers during the civil war. It's a middle school read, but it was very interesting.
this was one of the worst books ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and the most confusing i wanted to bury it in the backyard and never see it again on a test i got a 6 out of 10 :(
We read this out loud for part of our Civil War study. Fairly accurate history, went along with our study perfectly. The kids loved it and it was a very easy read.
This was my favorite childhood book and I could not resist adding it to my list, even though I have not read it in over 15 years.
This was one of my favorite books as a kid. Strong female lead for a story set in the Civil War, what could be better? :)
Jan 30, 2008 Mackenzie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Kirsten
Recommended to Mackenzie by: my teacher Mrs.Russel
I love this book it's amazing it's sad that annie's best friends fiance died (he was engaged to sophie) but it's a great book!!!!
I think it's a good idea to keep books like this around so that we can always remember how horrifying war is.
Beth Nell
this was one of my favorite books when we were studying the civil war. Annie was my favorite!!!
I wish i would've read this book when i was learning about the civil war.
The Civil war was so sad, but this is an interesting book.
Megan Lundberg
An amazing book! I really liked reading it.
Jun 10, 2011 Nate rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
Read this with my reading group at school.
Mar 02, 2011 Sally added it
I deffanetly reccomend it.Age9
I would rate this 3.5 stars if I could.
MCC Children's Li...: Gentle Annie - Challice 1 1 Apr 15, 2012 09:02PM
  • The First Woman Doctor: The Story of Elizabeth Blackwell, M.D.
  • Who Comes with Cannons?
  • Kipling's Choice
  • Bully for You, Teddy Roosevelt!
  • Sam the Minuteman
  • With Every Drop of Blood: A Novel of the Civil War
  • Red Cap
  • Pirates Don't Wear Pink Sunglasses (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, #9)
  • Freedom Crossing
  • Belle Teale
  • The King's Swift Rider: A Novel on Robert the Bruce
  • Squanto, Friend Of The Pilgrims
  • Happy Birthday, Kirsten: A Springtime Story (American Girls: Kirsten, #4)
  • Down the Yukon
  • Journey to Nowhere (Remembrance "Mem" Nye #1)
  • Justin and the Best Biscuits in the World
  • The Slopes of War
  • Behind Rebel Lines
Mary Francis Young was born on 23 February 1923 in Pratt, Kansas, the daughter of Jack Fant and Mary Francis (Milstead) Young. When she was very young, her family moved to the Pacific Northwest, where she raised. She studied at Maryville State College. On 24 October 1943, she married Daniel Charles Shura, who died in 1959. They had two children: Marianne Francis Shura (Spraguc) and Daniel Charles ...more
More about Mary Francis Shura...