Cooking with Henry and Elliebelly

Cooking with Henry and Elliebelly

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  167 ratings  ·  47 reviews
Hello!
Do you like to cook? We do, too. We even have our own cooking show, even though one of us really isn’t old enough to be on the show.
But Mom said we had to share.
Anyway, we hope you like our show!

Book Details: Format: Hardcover Publication Date: 10/26/2010 Pages: 32 Reading Level: Age 2 and Up
Published October 26th 2010 by Feiwel & Friends

Betsy
As I work in the main branch of New York Public Library, sometimes I get to see the occasional celebrity. Not long ago, Mario Batali was in my children’s room with a carefully assembled group of adorable munchkins for a storytime photo op (he read Green Eggs and Ham and Bee-Bim Bop, in case you’re interested). For the most part I think the kids gathered were the children of parental cooking show fans. There was one kid who caught my eye, though. Decked out in a full chef outfit, from his white h...more
Karyn The Pirate
Whether you are 5 or 45, this book will make you laugh! Cooking with Henry and Elliebelly is uproariously funny. Henry and his little sister Eleanor (or as Henry likes to call her Elliebelly) are hosting their own live cooking show. The treat they are making for us today - Raspberry-marshmallow-peanut butter waffles with barbecued banana bacon. YUM!
Henry is a very imaginative boy who is pretending to host his own cooking show. As he tries to go through the various steps to making his raspberry-m...more
Cynthia ☮ ❤ ❀
What made me pick this one off the library shelf? I loved the title and the cover. One of the reasons for this was that Elliebelly has red hair, and so do my two girls. We are always drawn to characters with hair the color of theirs...even in movie picks, Brave is one of their favorites, so what can I say, WE do judge books by their covers or characters by their hair color. However, before checking it out, I flipped through the pages and based on my quick perusal felt it had just the right amoun...more
Melanie Johnson
If you like cooking and pretending then this is the book and have a sister like Elliebelly who is an equally adorable and a temperamental toddler,and a big brother like Henry who has just enough patience to 'work it out,' as referee mom commands out, then you will enjoy reading this book. Five years old Henry and his two years old sister, Elenor but Henry calls her Elliebelly are pretending to be on their own cooking on a show and Elliebelly wants to do it her way. At one point of time in the bo...more
Amy Musser
5 year old Henry and his 2 year old sister Eleanor, better known as Elliebelly, have a treat for you. Today on their cooking show they’re going to make raspberry-marshmallow-peanut butter waffles. Henry does his best to keep the show on track, even though Elliebelly insists that they wear pirate hats and that her dolls need to go swimming in the batter. Finally, after a theme song, a commercial ("Buy some pudding!"), lots of sibling negotiating, and even a bit of pretend cooking, brother and sis...more
Becky
Jan 29, 2011 Becky rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: preschool and up
Still waiting to see this one...Kate says it would make a good puppet show.

And now that I've seen it, it's fantastic! Dan Yaccarino is perfect as the illustrator. If my sister is reading this, you should check it out too. I think we totally would've had a pretend cooking show like this. I'm so glad to see that it got the subject heading "Imagination," so I can find it again when I feel sad that today's kids often lack pretending skills. I also like that the mom is only a voice offstage -- she i...more
My favorite line of this whole book is when Henry complains to his mom about something his sister is trying to make him do, and she says "She's two, you don't have to do what she says." But of course they do, and the cooking show becomes a pirate cooking show, which is extra awesome. I loved that this book really demonstrates the way siblings play pretend and how even at different ages they can interact together, and that older siblings can be so patient in spite of themselves. I also loved when...more
Reader
This is what happens when the Food Network takes over a picture book. Henry decides to put on a cooking show in his house. Turns out it can be hard to make raspberry-marshmallow-peanut butter waffles with barbecued banana bacon when you keep getting interrupted, and Henry's distraction comes in the form of rambunctious little sister Anibelly. The pair eventually get on the same page - when it's time to eat some real food.
Yaccarino's colorfully retro illustrations match the light mood.
An enterta...more
Haley Hamilton
This book follows a brother and sister who are trying to make a cooking show. However the little sister keeps adding toys which makes the brother have to make changes though out the "show". At first Henry gets mad at his sister and tries to tell on her but eventually just adjusts the show's storyline. This book shows how things might not go as planned but we need to make the best of them. This could also be used to demonstrate descriptive words and how they help the reader imagine and understand...more
Dodie
Parkhurst and Yaccarino, what a team! Henry aspires to create a cooking show, titled Cooking with Henry and Elliebelly. He even has a theme song, and a featured recipe - raspberry-marshmallow-peanut butter waffles with barbecued banana bacon. Due to his assistant's insistence, the recipe and show title get modified. When Elliebelly's Baby Anne goes swimming in orange juice, things get dialed back a bit. Henry shows incredible patience with Elliebelly's antics, which Yaccarino captures perfectly...more
Carla
Cooking with Henry and Elliebelly was super cute. It's realistic fiction about a five year boy and his two year old sister who put on a make believe cooking show together. Henry explained to his "audience" how to make rasberry-marshmellow-peaunt butter waffles with barbecued banana bacon. I definitely remember doing things like this as a child and coming up with crazy recipes and pretending I was teaching people how to do it. I liked this book and it is a very realistic look into the mindset of...more
Gwen the Librarian
This is probably my favorite picture book of the year! Five-year-old Henry is trying to put on a TV cooking show with his two-year-old sister Elliebelly. They're making Barbecue Banana Bacon. Of course, things don't go smoothly when a two-year-old is "helping." Full of funny cooking and TV jokes, this one will be fun for both parents and kids, especially if you're a family with the Food Network on all day.
Kelsey
This was a really cute and hilarious book that would be so fun to read aloud to a class! Young students could easily relate to Henry and the dynamic he has between his younger sister, Elliebelly. It teaches students about expression and dialogue. You could also assign follow-up activities where students could create their own television shows or recipes that are the main focus of the book.
Jeanne Mcpeak
A cute story about a boy pretending to host a cooking show, but it does not exactly go as planned when his little sister joins in. The illustrations are very pleasant. This book is appropriate for children who are just learning to read, as the dialogue is very simple. This is a good bed time story or a good selection for an elementary school teacher to read to a class.
Misty
Five year old Henry is putting on a cooking show. Today he is going to teach us to make raspberry, marshmallow, peanut-butter waffles. If only his spirited (and a tad pesky) two year old sister would stop interrupting. This tale is funny and absolutely adorable. Each member of family found ourselves in the story and could appreciate the humor.
Mylinh
Preschool. Print awareness: different fonts, colors, sizes, speech bubbles. Narrative Skills: children can describe what is happening in the illustrations to make the characters say what they're saying. Fun book that shows two siblings pretending to hold a cooking show. Themes: cooking, siblings, television show (ads, jingles, narration).
Megan
Feb 21, 2013 Megan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: preschool-3rd grade
Henry pretends to have a cooking show with the "help" of his little sister Elliebelly. Since Elliebelly is only two, she mostly just repeats what Henry says or exasperates him with her insistance that he wear a pirate hat. Yaccarino perfectly captures Henry's expressions of annoyance and Elliebelly's toddler joy and tantrums.
Karen
Like Max of Ruby and Max fame, Elliebelly is a contrarian, a little terror who insists on doing everything her way. Henry as the older brother, tries to direct her in a pretend cooking show. She does stuff like insist on wearing a pirate hat rather than a chef hat. Cute, and Yaccarino's retro pics work well with the concept.
Natasha
So funny and appealing that you'll be sure to trot out your best character voices and you may even be tempted to try making raspberry-marshmallow-peanut butter waffles with bbq banana bacon. Well, perhaps not the last bit, but Yaccarino's illustrations are a treat and Parkhurt's characters have pitch-perfect dialog.
John
Why did I wait so long to read this adorable book? I cannot wait to read it aloud to kindergarten. I'll read the brother's lines and I'll select a student to read the sister's. You're in for a real treat! . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV7BZU...

Thank you to the person who recommended it on Twitter
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Henry attempts to do a cooking show with his 2 year old sister. Anyone with a 2 year old knows that won't be easy. Elliebelly, as Henry calls his sister, has definite thoughts about what to wear, who will help, and what she wants. A great book to read with children who has younger siblings.
Philitsa
It helps my toddler's nick name is Ellie (and sometimes Elliebelly, especially when we play telephone on her Ellie-Jelly-Belly-Tellie), but she would love this book anyway. There is a lot of cute dialog between the siblings, and Ellie now "reads" the story to me. I recommend it!
Dianna
Five-year-old Henry decides to put on a cooking show with the help of his two-year-old sister Elliebelly (and her doll). Typical brother–sister antics ensue, much to the delight of my four-and-a-half year old (who has an 18-month-old sister).
carissa
Hello!
But Mom said we had to share.
Anyway, we hope you like our show!
Kris
Told in two voices, this would make a fun reader's theater, especially if you want to pair a very fluent reader with a less fluent reader. For those of us who enjoy watching cooking shows, this is a real treat.
Tricia
A boy and his toddler sister put on a "cooking show". A talented with consistent different voices reader could make this majorly thrilling for a large audience. Props/puppets could bring this one to life!
The Library Lady
Appeal for adults and kids with annoying younger siblings. The art may be attractive to toddlers--after all, this is Dan Yaccarino--but the story line and jokes are aimed at an older crowd.
Stefani
Loved this story. Awkward for storytime, since both Henry and Elliebelly talk, differentiated by the color of the text. Would be a fantastic puppet show or play.
Kate Hastings
Grades preK-3. Henry is pretending he is on a cooking show--- complete with theme song. But his 2 year-old sister has other ideas. This book BEGS to be a puppet show.
Bree
This is by far one of the cutest books I have ever read. It actually reminds me of how some Foodnetwork stars were probably doing when they were kids.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Who Hops?
  • Me Want Pet!
  • Miss Lina's Ballerinas
  • Little Mouse Gets Ready
Carolyn Parkhurst is an American author who has published two books. Her first, the 2003 best-seller The Dogs of Babel, was a New York Times Notable Book. She followed that effort with Lost and Found in June 2006.

Parkhurst received her B.A. degree from Wesleyan University and an M.F.A. in Creative Writing from American University.

She currently resides in Washington, D.C.
More about Carolyn Parkhurst...
The Dogs of Babel Lost and Found The Nobodies Album Cash Express : zeven teams strijden om 1 miljoen in een reis rond de wereld Oggetti smarriti