Start by marking “Hue and Cry (Hew Cullan Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Hue and Cry (Hew Cullan Mystery, #1)

Hue and Cry (Hew Cullan Mystery #1)

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  149 ratings  ·  18 reviews
1579, St. Andrews. A thirteen-year old boy meets his death on the streets of the university city of St. Andrews and suspicion falls upon one of the regents at the university, Nicholas Colp. Hew Cullan, a young lawyer recently returned home from Paris, uncovers a complex tale of passion and duplicity, of sexual desire and tension within the repressive atmosphere of the Prot ...more
Published 2010 by Polygon (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Hue and Cry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hue and Cry

Bryn Hammond
Inescapably I thought of the Matthew Shardlake mystery I read last year – lured by what I’d heard of its dirty streets of 16th century England, C.J. Sansom’s sensory evocation of setting. Here I am in 16th century Scotland, in a novel written first to evoke time and place, with a gritty detailed realism, that stands your hair on end. I’ll go on with my Shardlakes but I found this one even more effective, and Hew Cullan has jumped the queue.

The writing is a joy. I notice in the author biography
Sharon4
I thought it was a smashing read, and particularly impressive for the first in a series. It didn't drag as they sometimes do and the characters worked well. They weren't sacrificed in the interests of keeping the plot going. I like authors who want us to be invested in their characters - it makes me want to read more of them.
Amy Corwin
I'm about half-way through so far. I'm enjoying it although there are some sentences I've had to skip because I couldn't quite figure out what was meant. Not a lot, though, and not enough to ruin the story.

Now that I'm done, I have to say I enjoyed it, although it was a little on the longish side. It reminded me, however, of the challenges of historical novels in that when characters such as the doctor are true to their time and start talking about "balancing the humours in a body" to make them
Susan McDuffie
I devoured this book in one sitting--well, I did sleep for about 4 hours before I finished it off! A lovely historical mystery, with very well developed characters, a great sense of time and place, and an intriguing plot. Highly recommended!
windy
This was a pleasant surprise- a historical mystery that doesn't seem artificial or far-fetched. Although, as usual for this genre, some of the main characters seem inexplicably modern in their attitudes.
Lab Cat
I liked it despite it being a bit convoluted.
Elaine
Am instictively drawn to historical murder mysteries, set in university locations. This one sounds particularly appealing to me as it is based in St Andrews, a place close to our hearts!With 4 novels in the series to date, am hoping that this will provide an insighful read, to time, place and events. Once again, have been drawn in not simply by synopsis, but by the cover (am I the marketing man's dream?)
Karen Lowe
A really enjoyable read. Historic St Andrews is becoming familiar territory now, thanks to this and to Lexie Cunningham's books! The characters are well-drawn, and the research provides for a real 'feel' of the time. All that and an intriguing plot: a good introduction into the world of Hew Cullan.
Definitely a three and three quarter stars for this.
Val Sanford
A 'wouldn't-be-a-lawyer-if-could-be-something-else', Hew Cullan returns to his home town only to stumble over a wicked murder. He has to use his wits to find the real murder or his friend will be hung in short order. Plot twists and turns keep things interesting while the author explores the political intrigue of 1579 in St. Andrews, Scotland.
Donald
Really enjoyed this, and the medieval setting was conjured up beautifully, without relying on vernacular 'Scots' that actually mean looking up every second word online! (Like a certain similar series :P )
The plot seemed quite straightforward, yet the explanation completely twisted that around quite cleverly, and yet believably.
Lexie Conyngham
Terrific book. The St. Andrews setting helped get me on side from the start but the writing was lovely, the plot pleasantly convoluted and the characterisation good. Excellent historical setting, very strong. I sat down and read it in a day - delicious luxury these days but well worth it!
Jane Walker
An excellent historical mystery set in 16th century St Andrews. Hew Cullan is an interesting character, the period detail is expertly done and the plot is satisfying. The ending comes without much preparation. But I would certainly read further books in the series.
Sheila
Fun to read if you know St Andrews, and the historical detail is fascinating. Interesting use of language to convey the medieval flavour but doesn't hold up the plot. I enjoyed it and look forward to reading the sequels.
Richard
I thoroughly enjoyed this. Maybe it's because I'm familiar with the city and its history but it's an enjoyable read. It's a little long and could be doing with losing about 50 pages but the detail is fascinating.
Loobylou
Liked the details in the book. How cloth was dyed in those days, how it was so easy to be labelled a watch, no pews in the church, university life etc. Also a very good whodunnit. Good main characters.
Julie
Entertaining enough, but a deus ex machina ending and everything but the kitchen sink plot doesn't make it super compelling.
Iris P
The name dropping gets tiresome and unfortunately, the story seems to be given less attention than the setting.
Caitlin Maddox
I thought this was very interesting, although a little easy to decide who had 'done it'.
Josiah
Josiah marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Katy Beadle
Katy Beadle marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Ioana
Ioana marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Georgia Lengyel
Georgia Lengyel marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Tamara Benson
Tamara Benson marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
Tiina
Tiina marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
  • The Devil's Disciples (Matthew Bartholomew, #14)
  • The House of Shadows (The Sorrowful Mysteries of Brother Athelstan, #10)
  • A Corpse at St Andrews Chapel (Hugh de Singleton, Surgeon Chronicles #2)
  • A Famine of Horses (Sir Robert Carey, #1)
Shirley McKay was born in Tynemouth but now lives with her family in Fife. At the age of fifteen she won the Young Observer playwriting competition, her play being performed at the Royal Court Theatre Upstairs. She went on to study English and Linguistics at the University of St Andrews before attending Durham University for postgraduate study in Romantic and seventeenth century prose. She was sho ...more
More about Shirley Mckay...
Fate and Fortune (Hew Cullan Mystery, #2) Time & Tide (Hew Cullan Mystery, #3) Friend & Foe: A Hew Cullan Mystery Friend & Foe The Wee Book Of Fife