Start by marking “The Duke & the Pirate Queen” as Want to Read:
The Duke & the Pirate Queen

The Duke & the Pirate Queen

3.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  99 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Published November 16th 2010 by Spice

To ask other readers questions about The Duke & the Pirate Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Duke & the Pirate Queen

Karla
What the hell is with these wretched audiobook narrators for Harley erotica?? >__< Bailed 1 hour in.
Pamela
Jan 04, 2011 Pamela rated it it was amazing
I picked The Duke and the Pirate Queen up on a whim in the bookstore. The cover is beautiful, and I loved the idea of the heroine being a female ship captain. I have to say, I should follow my whims more often. This book was gorgeously written, incredibly sexy, and a very entertaining read.

The characters in this book are wonderful. They’re all well-rounded and interesting, even the minor characters, and I am heartily impressed by that. It’s so easy to just use stock characters as, for example, t
holly quigley
May 03, 2011 holly quigley rated it liked it
I'm having a hard time rating this book. The overall plot and structure felt a little too loose, like it could have used another revision or two to tighten things up. The intrigue arc fell a little flat. Yet those things didn't manage to dim my overall enjoyment of The Duke & the Pirate Queen. (BTW, the heroine is neither a pirate, nor a queen, but I suppose "The Duke and the Female Former Privateer" didn't quite have the same ring.) So I'm stuck with a bit of a quandary, because I really en ...more
Kara
Jan 31, 2015 Kara rated it really liked it

WARNING: Book contains LOTS and LOTS of sex. Everyone is enthusiastically consenting and having a good time, but it’s very explicit with few euphemisms, so steer clear if you prefer your characters to Do It with the bed curtains fully closed.

The book is set in a world where just about everyone is a 5 on the Kinsey Scale, open about their sexuality, and looking to have fun with whoever else is in the mood.

There’s plenty of political, racial and class issues – but it was amazingly refreshing to r
Jane Stewart
Plot wandered. Characters felt thrown in. I was not engaged or excited to read this. I wanted it to be over.

STORY BRIEF:
Maxime is a duke. He loves Imena, but she has been refusing his advances. She is a half-breed and feels she wouldn’t fit in his world. She is captain of her own ship and works for Maxime, bringing products for sale in his country. One night, Imena overhears two men plotting to kill Maxime. She immediately has two of her crew help her kidnap Maxime and take him onto her ship for
Lauren Kozilski
Jul 06, 2015 Lauren Kozilski rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is steamy, with plenty of sexual tension and a few jaw-dropping moments. It was a delight to read, and I very often found myself wondering what it would be like to be Imena. To have such confidence in her skill as a captain and as a privateer; to have such sexual confidence and the patience to wait for the man she really wanted; to stand proud and sure of who she is, regardless of who her parents are or who people imagine she is. I loved the fluidity of the world in this book. The char ...more
Kelsey
Nov 30, 2010 Kelsey rated it really liked it
The King wants Duke Maxime to marry the Lady Diamanta Picot but Max only wants Captain Imena Leung who is his employee. Imena is also having the same problem because her parents want her to marry and settle down. There is now way she is going to do that. She loves her crew and ship, The Seaflower, and can't imagine life without them. While ashore she overhears a plot to kill Max so she kidnaps him and brings him aboard her ship until Sylvie, who is Duchess Camille's bodyguard/spy/handmaiden, dis ...more
April
THE DUKE AND THE PIRATE QUEEN by Victoria Janssen is a Spice historical romance set in nineteenth century high seas,England. It is well written with depth and details. It has romance, danger, lust, betrayal, passion, violent storms, pirates, spicy sex,love,sex games on a deserted island, trust, role reversal with the enpowerment of women, and a powerful couple with an intense attraction of each other. The heroine, Imena, is beautiful, a pirateeing captain, captain of "The Seaflower", has an inte ...more
Issa
May 06, 2013 Issa rated it liked it
Not a bad story about a alternate historical universe where men and women are treated equally and sexual orientation is fluid.

I liked the uniqueness of the universe though it took me a bit to realize it was a fantasy place. I especially liked Imena. Strong and competent with a soft side. Once they get on the ship the plot was in danger of following into monotony but Janssen through them into some situations which kept interest and allowed the characters to grow.

Maxime was a mixed bag for me. Did
Arec
Sep 26, 2011 Arec rated it it was ok
I had such high hopes for this novel. It had a beautiful cover and what I thought would be a fascinating storyline.

I couldn’t have been more wrong. The storyline was boring and the characters were annoying. What I thought would be an engaging storyline actually almost bored me to tears. I was so disinterested that I found myself skipping large passages without even realizing it. The characters also left me wanting. They were so set in their ways that their personalities became obnoxious.

Not to m
Kate
Oct 28, 2013 Kate rated it really liked it
Aboard her privateering ship, The Seaflower, Captain Imena Leung is the law. Ashore she answers only to her liege, Duke Maxime. They are a powerful couple, with an intense attraction neither can disguise nor deny. As a nobleman, Maxime is destined to wed strategically, so his seductive advances must be purely for pleasure. And what self-respecting pirate denies herself any pleasure?

Their delicious dalliance is prolonged when Imena is forced to abduct Maxime to thwart a political plot against him
Victoria Dixon
Jun 23, 2011 Victoria Dixon rated it liked it
The Duke and the Pirate Queen was a fun roll in the hay, the ocean, the sex-fiend infested island and numerous other unlikely locations.

I have to admit, I won this book from Goodreads and thought there would be more exotic setting and characterizations. I'd have to say those things are not the book's strong points. There was more eroticism than I'd expected and erotic romance is not my normal read. At times I wanted the story to move forward without the interruption of one more sex scene.

However
Carla
Apr 14, 2011 Carla rated it really liked it
A Hot Steamy Erotic tale - explicit sex scenes, not for faint of heart. Set within Duchys and the Sea, with espionage, pirate attacks, natives, and a King's court. There is a plot to kill Maxime (the Duke) leaving him in the capable hands of rescue of the woman he employs and loves Imena (the Pirate Queen). Amist the unravelling of the key players against him, pirate ships attacking, battles, can he get her to say yes to marriage before danger catches up to them. Being locked in close proximity ...more
Sasha
Do you want to read about the male sleeping with everyone? Male and female? Even if it isn't the woman he's courting? (The protagonist) Then this is the book for you!

Tries to sleep with the protagonist and when she turns him down, he goes off and has a blowjob from some chick. Nice. And I loved reading about it. Can you sense my sarcasm?

And god it pissed me off that this strong female protagonist just took his bull shit. Couldn't even finish, even with the hundred billion sex scenes.
Alexander S...........
Feb 14, 2011 Alexander S........... rated it it was amazing
really good book
if you enjoy drama, graphic scenes and a good love story, power and a couple trying to learn trust.
I did enjoyed this book on the 8 hours flight... - very entertaining to read
slowly developing plot than moving smoothly forward...
if you love historical romance with action, intrigue, and good love story this book is for you.
I hope to see second book...
I would like to thank you Author Victoria Janssen for sending this book for review...
Karen
Jul 15, 2014 Karen rated it did not like it
From time to time I like a good trashy novel. But just because it's trashy doesn't mean the writing should be bad. However, in this book the writing is exactly that. Wording seemed repetitive, and the plot lacked depth. There were several times during reading this book that I honestly just wanted to close it and forget about it. I had a really hard time with the last two chapters because I felt that it was slow I'm just really unimaginative.
evilqueen21
Oct 14, 2010 evilqueen21 rated it really liked it
Janssen delivers witty one liners, loveable characters and lots of hot smex! Started this one without knowing of the previous books set in the same world, there are several mentions of various happenings from other books, but was written well, to where I was not lost in reading this book as a 'stand alone'. Only wished I'd read the others prior to this strictly because I wouldn't want to miss out on other little gems such as this! ;-)
Laure Estep
Nice enough erotic romance between a fiesty pirate queen and the duke she rescues from an assassination plot. Action, adventure and a surprisingly tender romance ensues. In general it's a bit tamer than some of the Spice line that I've read. Enjoyable, especially after reading much heavier fare.
Mommyreview.com
Jun 30, 2011 Mommyreview.com rated it it was ok
Not too erotic....seemed a little off that the characters shag anything that moves but also want love.... Hmmm just didn't jive. The characters and background could have been developed more. All in all this book was an easy read but failed to move me in any way.
Natalie A.
Jun 22, 2011 Natalie A. rated it it was ok
I wasn't really crazy about this book. The plot was too slow and the book didn't really hold my interest. I had to force myself to continue reading the book but by then I didn't even care about the characters. I'm not sure if I'll read another book from this author.
LiteraryLover
I thought this was a lot better than I expected. It was also nice in that there was an actual plot involved here as well. Probably closer to a 3.5 star rating but it was a lot of fun so I bumped it to four.
Elise Logan
Dec 20, 2010 Elise Logan rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. Love the characters, love the plot, love the settings. This is a grand adventure pirate story turned on its head and I loved it.
Seloy
Aug 03, 2011 Seloy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Shhhhhh I didn't finish this one, don't tell anybody. Apparently I need to stop picking up romance thinking that I'll like it.
Wendy
Jul 02, 2012 Wendy rated it it was ok
Easy, quick read; sexually explicit. Not great lit. Sometime one needs something light.
Moriah
Jul 18, 2013 Moriah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
Love the cover, love the story, love the heroine. Also, Victoria writes smart.
Richard
really, really boring... and excessive use the word cunt was kinda weird...
Tracey
Aug 29, 2011 Tracey rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Pirate lingo down pat, a gripping love story, not so much.
Jan 12, 2012 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: erotica-romance
alittle hard to get into at first but then it turns into a pager turner unexpectedly.
Leigh LaValle
Annette
Annette marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
  • The Seduction of His Wife (Hallaway Sisters, #1)
  • Psyche's Gate
  • The Viking's Captive Princess
  • Fire and Cross
  • The Forest Lord (Fane, #1)
  • Dark Harvest (Onic Empire, #2)
  • The Dragon Men (Clockwork Empire, #3)
  • Captive (Forbidden, #2)
  • Beneath the Thirteen Moons
  • Song of Seduction (Seduction, #1)
  • Scoundrel (The Blades of the Rose, #2)
  • The Collected John Carter of Mars (Barsoom, #8-11)
  • Finding Destiny (Sons of Destiny, #9)
  • Temperature: Dead + Rising (Temperature, #1)
  • Top of Her Game (Black Lace)
  • Deep Penetration (Alien Breeders, #2)
  • Seducing the Governess