Spiritual Literacy: Reading the Sacred in Everyday Life

Spiritual Literacy: Reading the Sacred in Everyday Life

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  185 ratings  ·  22 reviews
A book that belongs in every seeker's home, Spiritual Literacy answers the universal question, "How can I live a spiritual life every day?" Frederic and Mary Ann Brussat reveal a way to read the texts of our lives and of the world around us for sacred meaning.
Using more than 650 brief examples from contemporary books and movies, they tutor us in the art of lingering with...more
Published August 5th 1998 by Scribner (first published 1996)

Antigone
I love this book.... it is kinda like a Bible to me. Reflects various backgrounds and faiths and is organized topically. I like to sift through it and find something that calls to me.
John
Frederic and Mary Ann Brussat are the Directors of SpiritualityandPractice.com. Both
are journalists who have spent more than thirty years identifying and reviewing resources for people on spiritual journeys. They also write a monthly column on "Spiritual Practices" for The Lutheran magazine and their book is on the recommended reading list of Luther Seminary.

Spiritual Literacy is a collection of 650 spiritual vignettes culled from a vast array of literary and religious sources and held togethe...more
JayeL
Apr 20, 2009 JayeL rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2009
I received this book as a gift from a friend a couple of years ago and re-started reading it in December. Somehow it had never caught my attention. In December 2008, I seemed to be in a better frame of mind to get into it. The subtitle, "reading the sacred in everyday life," is a perfect description of the book.

I am not sure how to categorize this book as I think I have decided that this is not a book that is easy to read from beginning to end. I think it would be a great book to read slowly and...more
Richard Piet
Even the most literal, materialistic person has trouble denying the intrusion of the spiritual in his corporeal life. The Brussats, in a comprehensive collection of reflections on holy incursions in the everyday, teach us to recognize and read the sacredness of the familiar.
Interwoven between the themes of our world, such as things, places and community, the Brussats present the ABC’s of spiritual literacy. Not only is the book a collection of spirituality in the everyday, it is an instruction...more
Bryon Medina
Jan 14, 2008 Bryon Medina rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those flailing in search of meaning.
I find myself skipping over the authors' comments and going straight for the quotes from the great prophets, saints and sages.
This book anthologizes peices of wisdom from different cultures. As a medium, I feel that this book would gone over better if the people who put it together had behaved a little more like editors and a little less like authors.
What makes this book work is that there is a well chosen
selection of quotes; what makes it tedious sometimes, are the words of the authors tr...more
Kate
I love this gem of a book. It is an invaluable road map for a spiritual journey, a treasure box, a tool kit and a Spirituality 101 Primer all in one. For those interested in leading a richer, more purposeful and meaningful life, do yourself a favor and buy this book.

My copy of Spiritual Literacy sat among my to-read books for more than a decade gathering dust (while I raised my four young children.) I dug it out recently at a time when I could savor and fully appreciate its richness. It has bee...more
Claudia Reinfelds
"The secret is to learn to sit at the feet of your life and be taught. That means being constantly alert and throwing out pride."

This book is a series of quotes on @ 10 topics that are connected to our everyday lives. It reads quite easily, but should be read slowly so that one can reflect upon each related topic. Beginning a pursuit of mindfulness can be enhanced by these topical presentations. The authors also included the alphabet of spiritual literacy. Here verbs and adjectives were illustr...more
Dave Hood
Required reading for anyone who desires to more spiritually
Alberta
Mostly short spiritual reading some beter than others
Susan
Will find useful for Sunday quotes part of blog but really thought was way more wowza when I first started it, read a lot of could have been edited way down stuff, a very odd lot at times. I still like the idea but for such a thick book with delicious premise, I want more.
Daniel
The A to Z of Spirituality and everything in between. This is such a beautiful book. A joy to read. Deeply human. I loved it and refer back to it all the time. One of my very favorite books.
Carol
Really enjoyed this book, it makes me more aware of the simplest things and stresses the "grateful" factor in nature, in everything, in books, relationships, etc.
Debbie
Dec 19, 2013 Debbie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone trying to grow spiritually
Recommended to Debbie by: Lorraine Williams
I love the kernels of wisdom within these pages. It is a book I can pick up on a daily basis to gather encouragement and challenge to grow.
Mary Alterman
I am currently doing another of their marvelous on-line courses. I love their all-embracing spiritual practices, beliefs, and readings
Deyanne
A great resource to have by the side of the bed and pick up whenever. Always uplifting and often very thought provoking. Great book.
Nick Duretta
Very good selection of readings, although at times they seem a bit arbitrary.
Katherine Willis Pershey
This is one of my recent go-to books for sermon preparation.
Scott
A good book to help you put things in perspective.
Mary Ann
My husband Frederic and I wrote this book.
Eva Buthy
Good reflective piece
Jen
Very good stuff!
Laurel
I am slowly re-reading Frederic and Mary Ann Brussat's "Spiritual Literacy: Reading the Sacred in Everyday Life," which includes an "alphabet of spiritual literacy" and a wonderful collection of quotations and vignettes about topics such as nature, creativity, and relationships. There is a list of questions and exercises at the end of each chapter. The companion DVD series, also entitled Spiritual Literacy," is in the Webster Library. Both the book and the DVD series are enriched and enlarged by...more
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Cynthia
Cynthia marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Debra
Debra marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Ikenna Nwamba
Ikenna Nwamba marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
  • Organic Church: Growing Faith Where Life Happens
  • The Celtic Way of Evangelism: How Christianity Can Reach the West...Again
  • The Dance: Moving To the Rhythms of Your True Self
  • Eccentric Glamour: Creating an Insanely More Fabulous You
  • Steering by Starlight: Find Your Right Life, No Matter What!
  • Messy Thrilling Life: The Art of Figuring Out How to Live
  • The Power of Pull: How Small Moves, Smartly Made, Can Set Big Things in Motion
  • The Shaping of Things to Come: Innovation and Mission for the 21st Century Church
  • Life's Companion: Journal Writing as a Spiritual Quest
  • The Woman's Comfort Book: A Self-Nurturing Guide for Restoring Balance in Your Life
100 Ways to Keep Your Soul Alive: Living Deeply and Fully Every Day Spiritual RX: Prescriptions for Living a Meaningful Life 100 More Ways to Keep Your Soul Alive Spiritual Literacy: Reading the Sacred in Everyday Life Pensamientos para cuidar el alma