Start by marking “Spiritual Literacy: Reading the Sacred in Everyday Life” as Want to Read:
Spiritual Literacy: Reading the Sacred in Everyday Life

Spiritual Literacy: Reading the Sacred in Everyday Life

4.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  272 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
A book that belongs in every seeker's home, Spiritual Literacy answers the universal question, "How can I live a spiritual life every day?" Frederic and Mary Ann Brussat reveal a way to read the texts of our lives and of the world around us for sacred meaning.
Using more than 650 brief examples from contemporary books and movies, they tutor us in the art of lingering with
Published August 5th 1998 by Scribner (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Spiritual Literacy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spiritual Literacy

Antigone
Aug 13, 2008 Antigone rated it it was amazing
I love this book.... it is kinda like a Bible to me. Reflects various backgrounds and faiths and is organized topically. I like to sift through it and find something that calls to me.
John
Oct 18, 2008 John rated it it was amazing
are journalists who have spent more than thirty years identifying and reviewing resources for people on spiritual journeys. They also write a monthly column on "Spiritual Practices" for The Lutheran magazine and their book is on the recommended reading list of Luther Seminary.

Spiritual Literacy is a collection of 650 spiritual vignettes culled from a vast array of literary and religious sources and held togethe
Richard Piet
Jul 26, 2008 Richard Piet rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, religion
Even the most literal, materialistic person has trouble denying the intrusion of the spiritual in his corporeal life. The Brussats, in a comprehensive collection of reflections on holy incursions in the everyday, teach us to recognize and read the sacredness of the familiar.
Interwoven between the themes of our world, such as things, places and community, the Brussats present the ABC’s of spiritual literacy. Not only is the book a collection of spirituality in the everyday, it is an instruction
JayeL
Apr 20, 2009 JayeL rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009
I received this book as a gift from a friend a couple of years ago and re-started reading it in December. Somehow it had never caught my attention. In December 2008, I seemed to be in a better frame of mind to get into it. The subtitle, "reading the sacred in everyday life," is a perfect description of the book.

I am not sure how to categorize this book as I think I have decided that this is not a book that is easy to read from beginning to end. I think it would be a great book to read slowly and
Bryon Medina
Jan 14, 2008 Bryon Medina rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: those flailing in search of meaning.
Shelves:
I find myself skipping over the authors' comments and going straight for the quotes from the great prophets, saints and sages.
This book anthologizes peices of wisdom from different cultures. As a medium, I feel that this book would gone over better if the people who put it together had behaved a little more like editors and a little less like authors.
What makes this book work is that there is a well chosen
selection of quotes; what makes it tedious sometimes, are the words of the authors tr
Amy Paget
Jun 13, 2015 Amy Paget rated it really liked it
Spiritual Literacy: Reading the Sacred in Everyday Life by Frederic and Mary Ann Brussat is a wonderful compendium of reading and practices to help you integrate spirituality into your every day life.

Frederic and Mary Ann Brussat are the Directors of SpiritualityandPractice.com. Both are journalists who have spent more than thirty years identifying and reviewing resources for people on spiritual journeys. They also write a monthly column on "Spiritual Practices" for The Lutheran magazine and th
Jessie
Next to my bed is a stack of books, among them Spiritual Literacy: Reading the Sacred in Everyday Life by Frederic Brussat and Mary Ann Brussat. While I was practicing free love and expanding my mind psychedelically in the 1970’s this wild and crazy couple of kids were exploring spirituality and culture. They’ve been married for 40 years and are rich. I haven’t and am not. Go figure.

Anyway, I’ve had this book in my library for a number of years and haven’t done more than thumb through it. To be
Kate
Dec 11, 2012 Kate rated it it was amazing
I love this gem of a book. It is an invaluable road map for a spiritual journey, a treasure box, a tool kit and a Spirituality 101 Primer all in one. For those interested in leading a richer, more purposeful and meaningful life, do yourself a favor and buy this book.

My copy of Spiritual Literacy sat among my to-read books for more than a decade gathering dust (while I raised my four young children.) I dug it out recently at a time when I could savor and fully appreciate its richness. It has bee
Claudia Reinfelds
Sep 21, 2013 Claudia Reinfelds rated it really liked it
"The secret is to learn to sit at the feet of your life and be taught. That means being constantly alert and throwing out pride."

This book is a series of quotes on @ 10 topics that are connected to our everyday lives. It reads quite easily, but should be read slowly so that one can reflect upon each related topic. Beginning a pursuit of mindfulness can be enhanced by these topical presentations. The authors also included the alphabet of spiritual literacy. Here verbs and adjectives were illustr
Laura Lewandowski
Feb 13, 2015 Laura Lewandowski rated it it was amazing
This book helped change my life. I learned to see the world through new eyes and became a different person, much to the chagrin of some family and friends :). Oh well, wouldn't change a thing.
Dave Hood
May 12, 2014 Dave Hood rated it it was amazing
Required reading for anyone who desires to more spiritually
Alberta
Jan 19, 2014 Alberta rated it liked it
Mostly short spiritual reading some beter than others
Susan
Will find useful for Sunday quotes part of blog but really thought was way more wowza when I first started it, read a lot of could have been edited way down stuff, a very odd lot at times. I still like the idea but for such a thick book with delicious premise, I want more.
Daniel
Feb 08, 2014 Daniel rated it it was amazing
The A to Z of Spirituality and everything in between. This is such a beautiful book. A joy to read. Deeply human. I loved it and refer back to it all the time. One of my very favorite books.
Carol
Oct 01, 2009 Carol rated it liked it
Really enjoyed this book, it makes me more aware of the simplest things and stresses the "grateful" factor in nature, in everything, in books, relationships, etc.
Debbie
Dec 19, 2013 Debbie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone trying to grow spiritually
Recommended to Debbie by: Lorraine Williams
I love the kernels of wisdom within these pages. It is a book I can pick up on a daily basis to gather encouragement and challenge to grow.
Mary Alterman
Nov 18, 2010 Mary Alterman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am currently doing another of their marvelous on-line courses. I love their all-embracing spiritual practices, beliefs, and readings
Deyanne
Aug 20, 2013 Deyanne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help, spiritual
A great resource to have by the side of the bed and pick up whenever. Always uplifting and often very thought provoking. Great book.
Nick Duretta
Jun 27, 2010 Nick Duretta rated it really liked it
Very good selection of readings, although at times they seem a bit arbitrary.
Katherine Willis Pershey
Nov 15, 2007 Katherine Willis Pershey rated it really liked it
Shelves: holy-moly
This is one of my recent go-to books for sermon preparation.
Scott
Aug 06, 2011 Scott rated it really liked it
A good book to help you put things in perspective.
Mary Ann
My husband Frederic and I wrote this book.
Eva Buthy
Mar 24, 2013 Eva Buthy rated it really liked it
Good reflective piece
Jen
Feb 19, 2008 Jen rated it it was amazing
Very good stuff!
Laurel
I am slowly re-reading Frederic and Mary Ann Brussat's "Spiritual Literacy: Reading the Sacred in Everyday Life," which includes an "alphabet of spiritual literacy" and a wonderful collection of quotations and vignettes about topics such as nature, creativity, and relationships. There is a list of questions and exercises at the end of each chapter. The companion DVD series, also entitled Spiritual Literacy," is in the Webster Library. Both the book and the DVD series are enriched and enlarged by ...more
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
L.A.
L.A. marked it as to-read
Silvia
Silvia marked it as to-read
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Toni
Toni rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2016
  • Change Your Life Without Getting Out of Bed: The Ultimate Nap Book
  • Bazaar Style: Decorating with Market and Vintage Finds
  • Dinner with Persephone: Travels in Greece
  • Callings: Finding and Following an Authentic Life
  • Art Journals and Creative Healing: Restoring the Spirit Through Self-Expression
  • A Hidden Wholeness: The Journey Toward an Undivided Life
  • Finding Our Way Again: The Return of the Ancient Practices (The Ancient Practices )
  • Organic Church: Growing Faith Where Life Happens
  • The Medici Effect: What Elephants and Epidemics Can Teach Us About Innovation
  • The Artist's Rule: Nurturing Your Creative Soul with Monastic Wisdom
  • The Celtic Way of Evangelism: How Christianity Can Reach the West...Again
  • A Perfect Mess: The Hidden Benefits of Disorder--How Crammed Closets, Cluttered Offices, and On-the-Fly Planning Make the World a Better Place
  • The Dance: Moving To the Rhythms of Your True Self