Start by marking “Puppy Sister” as Want to Read:
Puppy Sister

Puppy Sister

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  219 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Nick and his parents get more than they bargained for when their newly adopted puppy, Aleasha, decides she'll have more fun with her new "family" if she becomes human, too. So begins a laugh-out-loud adventure told from Aleasha's point of view, about her transformation from puppy to girl.
Hardcover
Published July 7th 1997 by Turtleback Books (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Puppy Sister, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Puppy Sister

HeavyReader
Feb 12, 2009 HeavyReader rated it did not like it
Weinz
Oct 06, 2007 Weinz rated it liked it
Shelves: readaloudtokids
I read this to Isaac. It was a cute book about a little boy who wanted a sister so bad that his puppy turned into a new sister. By the end of the book I think Isaac was hoping for the reverse to happen. Maybe if he thought hard enough his sister would become a puppy.
Jordan Mierek
Nov 28, 2008 Jordan Mierek rated it it was amazing
It reminds me so much of my own puppy sister! :)
Lisa
Sep 29, 2008 Lisa rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: 7-8 yr olds
Shelves: children
This book was strange, about a boy who's dog turns into a human (and becomes his sister). I think I would have enjoyed this book better if I read it as a 2nd or 3rd grader. It makes kids think about how dogs act, smell, and how they are color blind.
Joyce Munzwandi
Grade level 1st-3rd

This is a story of a boy who wishes he had sister and makes his puupy his sister. Its an interestng but weird book. It teaches students imagination and it will be interestng to hear student's intersting ideas about the book
Kyra
Jul 07, 2011 Kyra rated it really liked it
This book was so cute! I wonder what would happen if the book was true, what an interesting world we would live in!

I have to say that this is a little kid book, but they are always the best.
Jana
This was a fun story to read to my 1st grader and 3rd grader. It had some good witty humor in it which I always appreciate as I spend the time reading.
Beth
May 09, 2008 Beth rated it really liked it
When I read this in 3rd grade, it was pretty much the most amazing thing I had ever read. I gave it 4 stars for being so special to me back then :)
Martha
Apr 16, 2009 Martha rated it it was amazing
Great read outloud book for children, she really captures how a child's imagination works. I'll read it to my son one day soon.
Gataki
Mar 05, 2010 Gataki rated it it was amazing
I loved this book and so did my daughter when she was younger. One of our faves.
Nicole
Aug 24, 2012 Nicole rated it really liked it
I loved this book when I was little. I reread it so many times!
Feb 13, 2016 Laura rated it liked it
Shelves: children
Being a dog lover, I was pleased to find this book, and being someone who has spent her entire adult life with Australian Shepherd companions, I was delighted to discover that it featured an Australian Shepherd. I've had all kinds of dogs, but only my Aussies have felt like my children, so the plot made me chuckle, as I can see how an Australian Shepherd would inspire such a tale. Unfortunately, one rather enormous detail really ruined the story for me: the Australian Shepherd breed is NOT from ...more
A.
Jul 24, 2010 A. rated it liked it
Loved it as a child, weirdly improbable, in retrospect.
Nioniel
May 08, 2009 Nioniel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2009
Weird... very weird. But kind of cute!
Maddy Kay :)
Feb 07, 2011 Maddy Kay :) rated it it was amazing
It was so adorable ;)
Mimi
Aug 19, 2011 Mimi rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
Rachel Slawson
Oct 14, 2012 Rachel Slawson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book at about thirteen years old, with my sister during a week-long power outage due to a devastating ice storm in our area. We sat in my dad's armchair and read it by the light of a florescent camping lantern. At that point in my life I don't think I have ever laughed so hard at a book. My sister would start laughing, then I would start laughing, then we would giddily regain our composure until the next hilarious paragraph. I still look back at it as a tremendously enjoyable read an ...more
Laken Bowling
Oct 03, 2012 Laken Bowling rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is about a family who have a little boy who wants a baby brother or sister u=but cant have one so they get a dog. They call it the sister dog cause she is a girl and the book lets us know the dogs thoughts and the dog wants to really become a part of the family and really be the sister and believes in time she will grow up to be a girl just like her brother. Does she become the sister the boy has always wanted?

Very funny and cite story that took a turn I was not expecting. It was funny
Angela Juline
Jan 28, 2016 Angela Juline rated it it was ok
Granted this is a children's book, but it was too simple for my taste. It was chosen by a 4th grader as the hot pick of the week at my school's library. It really felt better suited for a 1st grader.
Rene
Feb 06, 2015 Rene rated it really liked it
I thought it was cute I really liked how it was all from the Sister's veiw. Sweet story for the imaginatve.
Matt Haynes
May 30, 2014 Matt Haynes rated it liked it
This is a young kid's book, so it's kind of hard to rate. But it was good in its own way.
May 14, 2016 Sarah rated it it was ok
Positively weird, slightly disturbing.
Katherine C.
Jun 09, 2016 Katherine C. rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016-reading
2.5 stars. Cute yet incredibly strange.
Nora Masgai
Aug 11, 2015 Nora Masgai rated it it was ok
This is a weird book I read in fourth grade about a adopted dog that turns into a sister of a little boy.
Mckinley
Jul 07, 2014 Mckinley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, fantasy, family, dog
Wasn't sure about this one but I enjoyed it quite a bit. Well done.
Rachel
Aug 29, 2013 Rachel rated it it was amazing
I read this book multiple times, and it's still amazing every time. It is slightly childish for a freshman to be reading, but it's such a cute book! It was very sweet, and I will be reading it again soon!
Sam
Aug 15, 2013 Sam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this book is really funny because it reminds me of my dog, Trudy!
Indranil Ghosh
Indranil Ghosh marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Christy Smith-nichols
Christy Smith-nichols marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Sandy McDowell
Sandy McDowell marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
  • The Bravest Squirrel in the Forest (The Bravest Squirrel, #2)
  • Tasha Tudor Book of Fairy Tales
  • The Giants and the Joneses
  • Rescue Ferrets at Sea (The Ferret Chronicles, #2)
  • No Fighting, No Biting!
  • Zapato Power: Freddy Ramos Takes Off
  • Stories from Around the World
  • A Necklace of Raindrops and Other Stories
  • Uncle Wiggily's Story Book
  • "I Can't," Said the Ant
  • The Great Gracie Chase - Stop That Dog!
  • I'm Dirty!
  • Evangeline Mudd and the Golden-Haired Apes of the Ikkinasti Jungle
S.E. Hinton, was and still is, one of the most popular and best known writers of young adult fiction. Her books have been taught in some schools, and banned from others. Her novels changed the way people look at young adult literature.

Susan Eloise Hinton was born in Tulsa, Oklahoma. She has always enjoyed reading but wasn't satisfied with the literature that was being written for young adults, wh
More about S.E. Hinton...