Start by marking “The Blind Mirror” as Want to Read:

3.65  ·  Rating Details  ·  578 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Strolling along the beach after breaking up with the beautiful and enigmatic Sienna, David is horrified to find a woman's body half-buried in the sand - and stunned when the dead woman is identified as Sienna.

The prime suspect in his ex-girlfriend's murder, David is interviewed by an FBI agent who declares that the killing was part of a Satanic ritual. But David knows that
Published October 1st 2004 by Tor Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Blind Mirror, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Blind Mirror

Daniel Rudge
Sep 30, 2013 Daniel Rudge rated it really liked it
This is one of those books you Have to think about for a few days to determine how you will write your review. Overall this was a good story with interesting characters. The way the plot is written I began reading thinking this was going to be a mystery. However, half-way through I went back and read the dust jacket and it says that I am reading a horror novel. So I finish and decide its a psychological suspense story. But then I think about is some more and it morphs into a supernatural mystery ...more
Marian
Jun 11, 2009 Marian rated it liked it
Shelves: readit, 2009
Lyddie
Jun 18, 2009 Lyddie rated it it was amazing
One of the most interesting horror novels I've read in a long while. I stayed up until 1 am to finish it and find out how the story would unfold.
Emily
Mar 08, 2011 Emily rated it liked it
I had expected more from this book, but was ultimately not too disappointed. Like other works by Pike, the story was abstract and paranormal. There seemed to be heavier Christian overtones to this piece than much of his other work, which has more of an Eastern Religion flavor. I was disappointed by how belabored and pedantic the actual writing was. I noticed after several chapters the absence of contractions except in dialog. Possibly this contributed to the feeling of being 'talked down to.' Me ...more
PurplyCookie
Mar 29, 2010 PurplyCookie rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, fave-author
Pike's latest adult thriller, "The Blind Mirror" is a story about a man who finds the body of a murdered woman on the beach two months after his own girlfriend walked out on him, begins with a mystery (Is it possible the dead woman is David Lennon's ex-girlfriend?); piles question on top of question (Could David be a murderer? Is that really his former lover's voice on his answering machine?). In the course of trying to defend himself from a murder charge, David delves deep into his past and tha ...more
Carrie
May 17, 2008 Carrie rated it really liked it
I believe the world has come to a halt. Why would a movie reviewer be in the book section? Has she lost her mind?

Probably so, but something in the beginning of summer air has brought me to pick up a book and read it and so here I am, to share with you what I think.

From Publishers Weekly
In this workmanlike foray into horror from bestseller Pike (The Season of Passage), commercial artist David Lennon returns home from two months in New York after breaking up with his girlfriend, Sienna Madden,
Monique
Aug 04, 2010 Monique rated it really liked it
Picked this book because I vaguely remember loving Christoper Pike in my younger days and I may have to reread to appreciate but his foray into adult horror was amazing..I really enjoyed reading this book and eagerly finished in it only two days and that was nonstop reading everywhere I could..The story grabs your interest from the beginning as you meet a man on a plane sitting next to a eerily friendly doctor that leaves him with the creeps, to stretch out and air his legs he wanders to the bea ...more
Kristi
Nov 05, 2011 Kristi added it
Unrealistic, even within the construct of science fiction. A lot of the legal and police procedural aspects of the story were implausible, presumably due to inadequate research. The suspenseful nature of the story more or less held my attention when I wasn't sidetracked by these problems. But the ending was very unsatisfying and logically implausible, even considering the genre. I mean that the protagonist acted in a very unlikely and stupid way, in my view, and out of character. I'm not a perso ...more
Dustin Hamby
May 04, 2014 Dustin Hamby rated it liked it
Some clunky phrasing, odd/bad descriptive metaphors, and a few generic characters but an entertaining plot and a good, quick, not overly thoughtful read. Nice twists as it gears into its final portion and Pike ties all of his threads together nicely in conclusion.
Ethan
Mar 16, 2015 Ethan rated it liked it
He's done better. It was enjoyable, but not fantastic. Wouldn't recommend, wouldn't read again.
Kayte
Jul 05, 2014 Kayte rated it it was ok
I really have no idea what just happened with this story...super slow getting to the good part
Katie Fowler
Aug 08, 2008 Katie Fowler rated it did not like it
I really wanted to know how happened plot-wise, so I read to the end, but the writing was TERRIBLE. A sad example of something remembered fondly from childhood (those great, scary Christopher Pike novels that I eagerly anticipated), that turned out not to be so great as an adult.

That said, you have to give him some credit for a rather original plot. I was surprised by the ending...it was weird, if nothing else.
Lisa
Jun 01, 2010 Lisa rated it really liked it
Well, that was an interesting book! There were lots of twists and turns, and the author constantly kept me guessing. I really wasn't expecting the ending. I could have sworn it would have ended like a dream sequence or something, but I suppose that would have been a disappointment. Overall, I would say that this was a really good book, even though I'm not a mystery reader.
Mimi Wolske
Aug 20, 2013 Mimi Wolske rated it did not like it
The Blind Mirror
I had heard about Christopher Pike and I expected more from this book but was ultimately disappointed. The prose was amateurish as "adult" fiction, the plot turns and twists were confusing, there were too many secondary characters, and the main character, David, was unrealistic. The ride was wild but not fun.
Spring Baxter
Dec 13, 2013 Spring Baxter rated it it was amazing
JUST WOW! I read this and was very sad to see that I can't order in any more from our library, from Christopher Pike. I can't wait to read more work from him. Just this one book took me on an adventure, I have yet been able to take again.

From twist and turns to the most shocking ending. I LOVED IT. Definitely worth the read!
Meg
Aug 18, 2008 Meg rated it liked it
I love Christopher Pike. I read all of his young adult books when I was a kid, and reading his adult fiction is a pleasure. His prose is better than a lot of more popular horror writers and his plots are truly bizarre. This book kept me interested from beginning to end, although I found a lot of the smaller story lines unnecessary.
R.K.
Mar 11, 2012 R.K. added it
Shelves: did-not-finish
Nope. Got 5 pages in but like the other reviews said, the writing in this was just atrocious.

I love a lot of Pike's YA stuff, but I'm not skimming through this in hopes of a payoff. I skipped ahead and read a few paragraphs throughout and the sentence structure doesn't get any better, so. In the "donate" pile it goes.
Sarah B
Jan 31, 2011 Sarah B rated it it was ok
AGGGGGHHHH! This book started out so promisingly and then devolved into WHAAAAT?

The investigative parts were complete crap and David was pretty unlikable.

And the ending made absolutely no sense to me. It seemed tacked on from a completely different book.
Dae
Jun 28, 2012 Dae rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
most messed up ending ever. didn't even see that coming. yeah, the sex was a bit much but whatever. totally loved general plot and curve balls that came out of left field.
Katherine
Aug 11, 2010 Katherine rated it really liked it
good story. kept me interested the whole way through. felt the ending was a bit abrupt. some things were left unexplained, but for the most part it was an intense ride.
Mandy
Nov 02, 2012 Mandy rated it really liked it
So far, this book is really hard to put down.
I loved his books when I was a preteen, and he's not disappointing me now!
Wendy
Jul 20, 2014 Wendy rated it it was amazing
Just finished re-reading this a couple days ago, highly recommend it! Awesome plot twist!
Audrey
Aug 02, 2011 Audrey rated it liked it
One of my favorite authors. Some stuff is brilliant, some is just bizarre.
Michelle
May 20, 2010 Michelle rated it liked it
Really liked it. Kept me interested, but in my opinion it had a lame ending.
Heather Graham
May 28, 2014 Heather Graham rated it really liked it
like the author, and my daughter told me i should read it. good book
Santia
Oct 16, 2013 Santia rated it really liked it
so far its good still can't figure out who killed this chick smh
Natasha
Dec 09, 2010 Natasha rated it it was amazing
Yeah. Just what I expected from my fave author! ;-)
David
Dec 04, 2007 David rated it did not like it
Shelves: horror
So bad. Oh man. So bad.
Breeana
Breeana marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2016
  • Thirteen Tales of Horror (Point Horror 13's)
  • The Vampire's Heart (The Legion Legacy, #1)
  • Headstone City
  • Voracious
  • We are the Monsters
  • Eternal Vigilance (Eternal Vigilance #1)
  • The Last Vampire (Hunger, #2)
  • Firefly Rain
  • Feckless: Tales of Supernatural, Paranormal, and Downright Presumptuous Ilk
  • The Aberration
  • Lucy Crocker 2.0
  • Night of Sin (BloodLust Companion)
  • 666: The Number of the Beast
  • One Bite
  • Just Girls
  • Somebody Come And Play
  • My Sister, the Vampire
  • Vector Borne
19954
Christopher Pike is the pseudonym of Kevin McFadden. He is a bestselling author of young adult and children's fiction who specializes in the thriller genre.

McFadden was born in New York but grew up in California where he stills lives in today. A college drop-out, he did factory work, painted houses and programm
More about Christopher Pike...

“We all die. It's just a question of when and how horrible it's going to be.” 5 likes