Start by marking “The Midnight Club” as Want to Read:
The Midnight Club

The Midnight Club

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  3,095 ratings  ·  124 reviews
Rotterdam Home, a hospice where teenagers with terminal illnesses went to die, was home to the Midnight Club--a group of five young men and women who met at midnight and told stories of intrigue and horror. One night they made a pact that the first of them to die would make every effort to contact the others . . . from beyond the grave.
Published February 1st 1994 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about The Midnight Club, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Midnight Club

Lacie
When I was younger, I absolutely adored Christopher Pike's novels. After coming back here recently and re-reading much of his stories, I couldn't help but feel a bit of detachment from them though. They were good, certainly, but not the magnificent tales I remembered when I was a pre-teen. This one however was a story of his I hadn't yet read, and casually bought online without knowing anything about the plot.

When I began the story though, I instantly adored it. But it was a sad kind of adoratio
Lydia
Jun 08, 2012 Lydia rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: scary
The Midnight Club was definitely not what I was expecting it to be. Based on the cheesey 90s looking cover and the synopsis on the back, I thought this was a young adult horror à la R.L. Stine (there's even an ad in the back for the 1996 Fear Street Calendar!). What it turned out to be was a lovingly written story about five teens facing their last days in a hospice. At midnight every night, the five friends meet and tell stories, giving each other moral support right up to the end.

The character
Francesca
Dang, Pike was so dirty for my 11-year old mind! I remember some weird shift where I graduated from R.L. Stine's babysitting, dating, sneaking-out teenagers to Christopher Pike's fucking, cursing, weed-smoking drop out teenagers, The Midnight Club being my start-off point. I ended up hating Pike's books overall, but this particular one is a f'reals masterpiece. A group of dying teens at a hospice meet up nightly at exactly 12pm to tell each other horror stories, and eventually make a pact with e ...more
Lara
I enjoyed this book. The concept is interesting--terminally ill teenagers living at a hospice waiting to die and wondering if there is life after death. They make a pact that if there is an afterlife, the first one to die must contact the rest of them. Kinda cool. This book made me want to own and operate a hospice for teenagers. But I'm a bit morbid, so that's ok.
Chris B
This book stays with me as one of the most infleuntial books of my formative years. For a YA book, some of the subjects are quite heavy going; it's set in a hospice for teenagers with terminal illness and deals with the stories they tell each other to come to terms with their issues and find comfort.

Ultimately, a tale of love and loss between dying teenagers, it has a poignancy that elevates it above the usual YA horror nonsense you'd expect from Pike -- even if he was better at it than his com
Kris Lugosi
This was definitely not what I expected out of Christopher Pike. This is not your usual horror/thriller story of murder and mayhem but rather more of a love story between souls and friendship.

THE MIDNIGHT CLUB takes place in a hospice care facility for teens. This is not a place you go to get better, it is a place you go to die and be kept as comfortable as possible until that time. Five teens who suffer from terminal cancers of varying degrees decide to start a club among themselves where they
Izzy
I’m not sure how many times I have read this book. At least twice: once as a teenager, and once yesterday. It may have been more; I don’t know. I’ve read and reread all or most of Christopher Pike’s books. My memories of them are an amalgamation of witchy teen sex and murder, compiled mostly during that hazy unformed lump of time between the ages of 13 and 16. I was a boring kid, so in between tearing out pages of Thrasher mag for my “inspiration” binders (I didn’t skate, like at all) and sticke ...more
Kristy
Maybe it is because I'm feeling emotionally fragile this week, but I was actually a little bit moved by this Christopher Pike book. The Midnight Club takes place in a hospice for dying teenagers. Five of the patients get together at midnight every night to tell each other scary stories. One night they decide that the one who dies first should try and contact the survivors. And then one of the group dies! Except that the real story isn't anything like that. This is really a love story, a story of ...more
Delicious Strawberry
This book is basically about a group of teenagers in the hospice, but the story isn't so much about these teens as the stories they tell around the table in the group they have dubbed 'The Midnight Club'

The stories they tell are actually creative and enjoyable - one about a girl and the wish she makes that results in a clone of herself - the angel who becomes human, and a story set in India amidst the caste system. I really liked this book, it was a lot of fun and remains one of my favorites tho
Kate
When this book first came out, all I could think of was the Midnight Society on that old Nickelodeon TV show, "Are You Afraid of the Dark?" You know, "Submitted for the approval of the Midnight Society..." and then they would tell a scary story? I really like Pike's books where there were stories within the story--which he's done fairly often.
Myles
I was always more of an R.L. Stine kid, but there was something about the Christopher Pike covers that drew me in, all that day-glo script slanting up over the dark field of horrified faces or significant fragment. Seeing this one at my fruitful picking ground of the recycling center proved too much to resist.

The Midnight Club is set at seaside mansion converted into a hospice for teenagers. Ilonka, with the encouragement of the doctor, meets with a few other patients at midnight to share stori
Tara
Alexis Neal
Sara
Christopher Pike will always have a soft spot in my heart. "The Midnight Club" was one of the first books I read as a girl that really make me think about the other possibilities that might lie in that great big afterward beyond what I was being taught every week in Sunday school.

This is a surprising novel, anyone looking at the cover would think they're about to pick up a "Fear Street" knock off or another "I Know What You Did Last Summer" but if you take a chance what you'll get instead is a q
PurplyCookie

Honestly, this book has not much to do with the caption that graces it's back. While it does follow the lives of young adults dying at a hospice, the first dying
Filthy Little
Bozz
It was okay. This book has no horror elements so I think that affected my score because I was expecting a spooky story. What it is, is a story about five terminally ill teenagers who meet a midnight and tell stories. The subject matter is heavy and it deals with some serious issues and I applaud Pike for that more so considering when it was written. Like Chain Letter the heroine of the book is quite selfish and at times acts ridiculous. One scene takes place beteween her and the object of her af ...more
Emmanuel Servin
When you see the book cover, you get a sense that this book is going to be about an evil man trying to get young kids to join him. This book really isn't a traditional horror book, but it is not a easy to read book either. From what I have read, you get hooked on the ongoing suspense that is happening to the kids. These kids escape their homes at night to go to the Midnight Club, where all the kids meet. They see each other during the day, but at night, it is when they all get together and share ...more
Ally
Hands down my favourite Christopher Pike, and maybe up in my top 20 books in general. I've read this one several times, the first time when I was about twelve or thirteen, even though I end up crying through half the novel. For such a remarkably short novel, you immediately connect with the characters and their stories and relationships are incredibly moving. It's full of pain, suffering, rage, betrayal, love, crushing sadness, but most of all I think it's about hope.
Dammit, made myself cry just
Elsa Reyes
Although this book was I think targeted to children, I think adults would enjoy this book as well.

This story was about a bunch of teenagers in a hospice that share made up stories they come up with at midnight. The particular story within the story with the angel that becomes human is a bittersweet story. This book talks about hope they have to live a happy life despite the fact that they are sick and very near death.
Alissa Bach
Found my old copy of this and re-read it. I'd say the story is "Midwinterblood" meets "The Fault in Our Stars".

Probably my favorite of Pike's. Not as well-known as some other books he's written, but I enjoyed the characters and the story more.
Elizabeth
Steph and I are doing a podcast on older YA horror novels this Thursday night for the GA Lit. Angels podcast, so I picked up my favorite Christopher Pike book to reread: "The Midnight Club". I love that story - and no matter how many times I read it, the story still holds up for me. It's not really scary, but it's extremely thought-provoking and heart-wrenching. The main character Ilonka has stuck with me, as well as some of the mini-stories within the book. Like the story about Dana, the girl t ...more
Dave Kiersh
Nearly two decades before John Green was writing about teenagers in love - with cancer - Pike made the subject matter far more thrilling by throwing in a bit of the supernatural. Love is eternal, in past and future lives and Pike's stories within his stories are both entertaining, enlightening and humorous.
Kate
Sorry, readers, the cover is misleading. This is not a horror story.

It is a great story. While there are supernatural elements, they are not scary or malicious. The book explores terminal illness and stories and past lives. Like other Christopher Pike books, it meanders through these possibilities.

The blurb on the back hints at a different sort of story.
Coyle
Apr 05, 2011 Coyle added it
Megan
This is hands down one of my favorite books from growing up. I have read it more times then I can count and it always sticks with me. Its never ceased to amaze me how much I learned about other religions and what life means from this book, and even after plenty of reads, there are still lessons to find. I highly recommend this book it's got everything you could want - love story, suspense, life lessons, and a little T&A for good measure. =)
Mary
giving this two stars for stilted prose and forced dialog, and also for its profoundly depressing subject matter.
Anna
Okay, the cover of this book screams HORROR STORY. And that's not what this was.

This really wasn't that well written. Plotlines jumped all over the place and didn't really seem to cohere to one central story. I was constantly questioning who the important characters were. The narrative wasn't consistently with Ilonka. Most of the characters were exactly the same with only one differentiating characteristic. Ultimately, the ridiculous religious theme of this book couldn't buy it over two stars.
Cassi
I always liked the Pike books that had shorter, quick stories in them. Since the premise is based around the telling of these midnight stories, I felt like I got a good dose of those in.

I vaguely remember reading this one the first time around and being surprised and sad (but I won't give a spoiler, for those dozens of people out there who still plan to read the book). Good deed of the day done, and you're welcome.

(One of the top Pike books in my opinion, for all that it matters!)
elyse
3.5 stars... set in a hospice for teens. a group of friends who are all battling terminal diseases form "the midnight club" where they get together to tell stories and talk. one night they make a pact that the first of them who dies will try to contact the others if there is an afterlife and not long after, one of them passes away...

not the most amazing writing and it's a little all over the place and somewhat dated in parts but overall it's a fun story.
midnight club 165 43 Jul 21, 2014 11:34AM
What's The Name o...: 80s/90s teen/YA people in a hospice type program [s] 6 37 Sep 29, 2012 05:17PM
  • Thirteen Tales of Horror (Point Horror 13's)
  • Silent Night
19954
Christopher Pike is the pseudonym of Kevin McFadden. He is a bestselling author of young adult and children's fiction who specializes in the thriller genre.

McFadden was born in New York but grew up in California where he stills lives in today. A college drop-out, he did factory work, painted houses and programm
More about Christopher Pike...
Thirst No. 1: The Last Vampire, Black Blood, and Red Dice (Thirst, #1) Thirst No. 2: Phantom, Evil Thirst, and Creatures of Forever (Thirst, #2) Thirst No. 3: The Eternal Dawn (Thirst, #3) Thirst No. 4: The Shadow of Death (Thirst, #4) Remember Me (Remember Me, #1)

“If you honestly feel you have done something so terrible that you cannot be forgiven, then I am willing to share your sins with you. When we die, if we should have to stand before God and be judged, then I will tell him I am as much to blame as you and that half your punishment should be portioned out to me.” 7 likes