Start by marking “The Bride That Time Forgot (Brenda & Effie Mystery #5)” as Want to Read:
The Bride That Time Forgot (Brenda & Effie Mystery #5)

The Bride That Time Forgot (Brenda & Effie Mystery #5)

An outrageous adventure with the most terrifying villain Brenda has ever faced - her best friend, Effie.

Something is biting people on the streets of Whitby. In an ordinary town, this would be worrying. Here, it’s disastrous, and only Brenda has guessed why. She’s also trying to prepare for a packed festive break at her B&B, but her best friend Effie is in distracted mo
Published October 2010 by Headline Review

To ask other readers questions about The Bride That Time Forgot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bride That Time Forgot

Helen
Jun 01, 2011 Helen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Never thought two old ladies would be my heroes. But they are. Brenda and Effie are just fab, and of course, not just your average ladies of a certain age. These books are funny, exciting, inventive and clever, and make me want to get back to Whitby more than ever. (Ooh, I rhymed inadvertently!)
I so hope they'll be having more adventures!
Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
Even in Whitby Brenda's life might be going to the bad. Sure there have been dangers before, but they've always found a way to have a punch up and be victorious. The return of Effie's fancy man Alucard might be the turning point. Because Brenda may be in denial about what this once and possibly still evil vampire has done to her best friend. She doesn't want to go accusing Alucard of turning Effie unless she is certain, and she sure doesn't want to be certain. Yet, there is no way of denying ...more
Michael Thomas
Jul 24, 2011 Michael Thomas rated it liked it
Paul Magrs, The Bride That Time Forgot. London: Headline Review, 2010. 341pp, paperback. 12.99. ISBN 978 0 7553 5944 8.

The Bride That Time Forgot belongs in a long, honourable tradition. Doom-laden goings on can be engrossing in themselves, but even more so, often, when placed right in the middle of the mundane. Both worlds can gain immeasurably by the interaction. Elm Street is a perfect harbour for nightmares precisely because of its picket-fenced babysitter schedules. Several of Wells’ scient
Rachel
Aug 02, 2016 Rachel rated it really liked it
Shelves: whitby
The fifth book in Paul Magrs' brilliant 'Brenda and Effie' series follows straight on from the previous book, 'Hells Belles'. Effie has taken up with her fancy-man, the charming and dangerous Kristoff Alucard, and Brenda is worried. Vampires and Walkers are taking over the seaside town of Whitby, and a mysterious new bookshop has opened, luring in the women of the town with tales of the mysterious land of Qab. Once again it's up to Brenda and her gang of friends to save the day, travelling to a ...more
Lucy
Aug 25, 2011 Lucy rated it it was ok
Well what to make of this book! a Christmas prezzie from Aunty Mary (Thanks Mary) It is a bizarre little book!
The main character is Brenda who is rather like a supernatural Miss Marple! she has her friends Robert Penny and her best friend Effie.
The book is set in Whitby, I love Whitby and as I was reading the book I could really envisage all that was going on, as the last time I was there it was a 'Goths' weekend, by that I don't mean sulky teenagers with too much black eyeliner, no, proper 'G
Brett
Oct 12, 2011 Brett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best yet out of the Brenda and Effie series. What seems to be just a comical series really leaves a lasting impression on you. After finishing the last book before this one, I had such withdrawals. Now I can feel the same thing happening after finishing this one. MORE PLEASE MR MAGRS!!!!

The story makes a full loop from Brenda's earlier life to present day and explains some of the bigger questions raised from the beginning of the series, like 'Why doesn't Brenda remember so much of her past?'
Kate Millin
Feb 05, 2011 Kate Millin rated it it was amazing
The best yet, and I am getting better at picking up the other literary references.

Necks are being bitten all over Whitby. In an ordinary town this would be worrying. Here it's disastrous, and only Brenda has guessed why. She's also trying to prepare for a packed festive season in her B & B, but her best friend Effie is in a distracted mood; she just hasn't been the same since her suave gentleman friend Alucard reappeared.

I have found it difficult to put down, and a very easy book to get bac
C.L. Raven
Feb 28, 2013 C.L. Raven rated it really liked it
We love Paul Magrs's books, they're quirky, funny and unusual, starring Brenda, the Bride of Frankenstein, who now runs a B & B in Whitby. She and her friend, Effie, who's from a long line of witches, are always getting into fights with various supernatural creatures.

We found this book hard to get in to at first 'cos it was written in journal format, whereas we're used to reading these books in first person POV, so the journal format felt almost disengaged to us. Effie's POV in the journal w
Brian Collyer
Jan 15, 2014 Brian Collyer rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
A good, not great, addition to the Brenda and Effie stories. The central plot of the book is what disappointed me. Namely, that Brenda and Effie are estranged. What I've enjoyed about the previous books is their interaction. There was very little in this book.

I was also disappointed by ideas that were previously used in the Iris Wildthyme books (shears that cut through time and space). Granted, it is a great idea. But, somehow, it didn't feel very original reading it in Magrs' other series.

Debby Kean
Aug 29, 2014 Debby Kean rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This book was simply disappointing. The "humour" was reminiscent of Douglas Adams (and that is not a compliment). There's no such thing as a pleasant character, and I found it pretty hard to care about anyone.
Tiffany
Jul 24, 2014 Tiffany rated it really liked it
Black comedy, yet again! The stories are so far fetched and ridiculous that it's impossible not to enjoy them. Especially when they're told by such loveable characters. Absolutely hilarious, yet again!
Jackie
Nov 19, 2012 Jackie rated it liked it
Well, literary genius, it isn't. But it's a lighthearted romp through camp gothic. Fans and followers of the series will like this one. I thought the last one quite poor but I'm glad I gave Magrs the benefit of the doubt and gave this a chance.
Alison
Aug 01, 2011 Alison rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
Well my first Vampire book and although amusing in some places I generally found it just a bit strange. Don;t like not finishing books though and it was readable but wouldn't really recommend it as the World's greatest read!
JackieB
May 04, 2011 JackieB rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, supernatural
These books are so funny. The two main characters are elderly ladies who have all of the likes and dislikes you would expect and then Paul Magrs sends them out to fight the forces of evil in Whitby in their own disrinctive style. The result is surreal but very funny.
Rachel Nowakowski
May 09, 2012 Rachel Nowakowski rated it it was amazing
Another fab installment from Brenda and Effie. I still can't believe such a great book on female friendship is written by a guy. Kudos Mr Magrs!
MNLO
Sep 10, 2013 MNLO rated it liked it
Deanne
Feb 24, 2011 Deanne rated it really liked it
Shelves: comedy
Makes me want to pack up and move to Whitby. Heard the fish and chips there are great, just wish you could still get them wrapped in newspaper.
Tal
Apr 15, 2011 Tal rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf-fantasy
really liked this book, and i hope Mr Magrs will continue the series because OMG NEED BRENDA FIX!

i kindof want to meet Brenda and Effie in real life. that would be a million kinds of awesome.
Leon
Aug 04, 2011 Leon added it
Read a couple of chapters already. I'm enjoying them v much. Tell you more when I finish more chapters
Mr C J Hall
Mr C J Hall rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2016
Beki
Beki rated it liked it
Jul 17, 2016
Carly Moore
Carly Moore rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2014
Sarah Hepburn
Sarah Hepburn rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2016
Amanda
Amanda rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2015
Amy Gosling
Amy Gosling rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2014
Marita
Marita rated it liked it
Sep 20, 2011
Charlotte Hartley
Charlotte Hartley rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2013
Lee Fallows
Lee Fallows rated it it was amazing
Nov 25, 2014
Gina
Gina rated it liked it
Sep 16, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Sadie the Sadist: X-tremely Black Humor/Horror
  • A Ghost of a Chance (A Shannon Delaney Paranormal Mystery #1)
  • Doctor Who: Dominion
  • Doctor Who: Anachrophobia
  • Doctor Who: Endgame
  • Doctor Who: The Crooked World
  • Doctor Who: Father Time
  • Hex on the Ex (A Mind for Murder, #3)
  • Doctor Who: Frontier Worlds

Brenda & Effie Mystery (6 books)
  • Never the Bride (Brenda and Effie Mystery #1)
  • Something Borrowed (Brenda & Effie Mystery #2)
  • Conjugal Rites (Brenda & Effie Mystery #3)
  • Hell's Belles! (Brenda & Effie Mystery #4)
  • Brenda and Effie Forever (Brenda & Effie Mystery #6)