Start by marking “Scavenger Hunt” as Want to Read:
Scavenger Hunt

Scavenger Hunt

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  3,915 ratings  ·  67 reviews
School was almost over. A secretive club on campus had organized a scavenger hunt for the entire senior class. In small groups, and with the help of cleverly planted clues, the kids are led throughout the city, and then deep into a nighttime desert. The sponsoring club has promised a wonderful prize for the first group to reach the goal of the hunt. But for Carl Timmons, a ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 215 pages
Published June 10th 1989 by Archway Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Scavenger Hunt, please sign up.

This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Remember Me by Christopher PikeBury Me Deep by Christopher PikeProm Dress by Lael LittkeTrick or Treat by Richie Tankersley CusickApril Fools by Richie Tankersley Cusick
1980's- early 90's Young Adult Fiction
15th out of 128 books — 82 voters
Halloween Party by R.L. StineRemember Me by Christopher PikeDon't Stay Up Late by R.L. StineBad Dreams by R.L. StineThe Baby-sitter #01 by R.L. Stine
Teen Screams
7th out of 103 books — 14 voters

More lists with this book...

so, i reread this for a podcast my friends are doing. it's called worst bestseller. i am...kind of an insanely big fan of christopher pike, and have been for 19 (!!!) years. i'm pretty excited about doing the podcast with them, but i'm a little worried about my overwhelmingly positive feelings. (this is all to say, you should probably take any review i write for a christopher pike book with a grain of salt because i think the man is a genius and you will never change my mind.)

this was better tha
Abbi Dion
Christopher Pike is a sicko. That's why he's great. For example:
"The bottle exploded over the back of Davey's head, the tequila drenching his shirt and pants. but it did not knock him out. He whirled upon Tracie, his face unrecognizable. The blow had in no way injured him, but no human being could have twisted living flesh into such an expression of pure hatred and been called human. His was the face of the lost creature that lay hidden inches below the surface of the world's last undiscovered c
Hell yeah, I'm reading a Christopher Pike book. Call it nostalgia. Or just call it me not feeling like reading above a sixth-grade reading level lately.

Update: I really got into the story and flew threw this book. But then Pike ruined the ending by, first of all, making it stupid and, second of all, not fully fleshing out the weak denouement. I guess this is why he is the writer he is.

(Hell yeah, I used a big word like "denouement" for a Christopher Pike book.)
Kris Lugosi
HOly crap I LOVED this book! I now understand why my generation prefers Pike over Stine. NOT SAYING I DON'T LOVE MY STINE CLIFF HANGERS BUT...Pike def. knows how to write a bit more maturely.

SCAVENGER HUNT is absolutely surprising. Carl is grieving over the death of his best friend Joe, who he wasn't able to save from drowning. After the tragedy all Carl wants is some form of normality but living with his guilt makes that hard. When the senior class decides to participate in an organized scaveng
Ugh I love a good (or bad) Christopher Pike book. And this was not a good one lol. He's much better at writing women than he is at writing men! Which is puzzling to me. All my favourites from him have had a strong female lead and all the worst have whiny boys. This was not the best but not the worst so no regrets - I don't even know where I got it? It was just on my book shelf? Maybe it's haunted!
I'm pretty sure this was one that I had originally owned as a teenager but nothing about this book rang a bell for me.

I was pretty well sucked right in from the start and I found even now that there were a few scenes that were pretty intense. This was definately one of Christopher Pike's odder books though. The ending was pretty out there. A ancient species of intellectual lizard dinosaurs!?

(minor spoilers below - but not really)

The only beef I have with this one is I don't really get the big pu
Chad Eagleton
I was a huge Christopher Pike fan when I was a teenager. Recently, I decided to go back and re-read some of his work to see how it holds up. I started with Scavenger Hunt because I remembered it the least of all the books on my shelf. I’m happy to say that Pike's work holds up very well. Except for the lack of cell phones, the book doesn’t feel dated at all. He still offers great characterization of teenagers/young adults. The story is fast-moving and tense with a couple of good scares and some ...more
Elizabeth Nesbit-comer
I just actually re-read this one a few months ago. It didn't really hold up, but I still think incest in a YA book is pretty awesome.
Ryan Baker-Branstetter
I decided to go back and read book from my young adulthood, and while it was a bit simplistic (like most young adult are supposed to be), I didn't regret my decision. Pike does a great job of grabbing the reader and having end of the chapter cliffhangers. This story features a troubled young man who participates in a scavenger hunt that takes him much further than he thought he would go. The story is compelling and exciting, and for young adult horror, that's perfect. I look forward to reading a ...more
Ryan G
The other day I was wanting something easy, quick, and fun to read, but I didn't feel like hunting something down in a bookstore or browsing through the NOOK store. So I went to the greatest resource every bibliophile has, my own bookcases. To tell you the truth, I almost forgot I owned this book, especially since I was never a huge Christopher Pike fan. I think this is the only book of his I've owned, let along kept all these years later.

It's probably been at least ten years since I've picked i
Carl Timmons, a high-school senior in a small California town, is troubled by the accidental death of his best friend. Trying to achieve some normalcy in his life, he is drawn into the school scavenger hunt. His team includes three newcomers to the town, while their competition included an old friend, his best friend's girl, and her handicapped brother. As the hunt progresses, it takes a freakish turn that unfortunately was a little too out there for me. I'm a Pike fan, but for some reason, this ...more
Marissa Hakala
This book was pretty much typical Christopher Pike. It was good for a quick, creepy read, but it was pretty much completely predictable. It was only made more predictable with the couple of church scenes thrown in. If you want a quick, somewhat creepy read, then you should definitely try Christopher Pike, but only if you don't care that you can tell what is happening right from the beginning.
this was my first pike so maybe that's why it has five stars from me.

being the first, i really liked it because i had never read a crazy writer like pike who writes insanity. the story was so new to me.

if i read it after last vampire, sati, final friends, chain letter, monster etc. i would have given it 3 stars but at the time, it was the best.

the prologue is the best part in the book because it sets up tension for three-quarters of the story.

i like pike's characters. they have cliche definitio
*whispers* I never read any Christopher Pike books in the 90s and I am here to tell you that this one, at least, does not read well for a non-nostalgic 20-something.
Julia Wood
Wow, if there's one thing Pike is great at, it's giving even a simple thriller a profound meaning! This ended up taking a twist I didn't anticipate and gave the reader some very thought provoking ideas at the end. Great read!
When I first started this book I thought it was going to be about a normal scavenger hunt at a school, but I was completely wrong. In true Christopher Pike fashion the ending was a complete shocker and involved some sci-fi aspect. I did find that often the characters weren't distinctive enough to support the shifts in point of view. Sometimes I was confused as to what group was doing the scavenging. I also wish that the book was a little longer in order to give more detail to the end and to Cess ...more
I love Christopher Pike's books. He is a marvellous writer. And this book was brilliant and a little scary at the end.....
Mar 29, 2014 Angel added it
Shelves: young-adult
I imagine I loved this book because when I was a teenager, I loved pretty much everything written by Christopher Pike.
Aj Toledo
The prologue is what really gripped me into finishing this book up to the end. Even though the setting was contemporary, the way the story was narrated made me have a feel of ‘classicism’ on it. A horror with a bit of sci-fi, and a lot of action and thrilling scenes! I had to reread some parts in order to imagine the scenes, but at least the mystery is little by little unfolded. Understanding why the villains had to do the sinister tricks became unimportant to me because what’s more important is ...more
Nicola M
I wanted to rate this one higher. The plot was very interesting for the first 100 or so pages but went downhill drastically after that. I know its not the kind of book you can expect to be believable but it was way too far-fetched for my liking. Billed as a horror novel, it really didn't have that much horror in it. The style of writing was also quite stilted and hard to follow. I did find myself caring about the characters though, and what happened to them.
Erin (Paperback stash) *is juggle-reading*
Re-reading this one was fun. It was interesting as it's a short young adult horror novel, yet there is nothing that speaks of it being a horror story at all until after the middle of the book, even buildup. While this is so, the story is still interesting due to the characters and the unraveling of the scavenger hunt. The ending of the book a pretty dark and disturbing, especially for a teenage novel. Still a fun book though and I loved the characters.
Amanda Hendsbee
I've loved Christopher Pike's books since I was a pre-teen, but this one is absolutely terrible. There are no likeable characters, no real plot development until the last 40 pages or so, and no satisfaction at all in the ending. I ended up skimming about the last third of it because I just wasn't interested any more. Definitely not one of Pike's better works.
It's not that I didn't like this book... but it's a little nast. From what I remember, there's two lizards who look like humans, are actually brother and sister but still have sex, and they force people to "go swimming" in lava? I think I'm correct here.

It was just gross and joyless, even for Christopher Pike.
I unfortunately bought this book back in high school with my hard-earned babysitting money; it's still in some box in my basement. I found this bizarre even back then. Not Pike's best work. Some folks consider him a hack of bad teen novels, but I did enjoy some of his books as a kid.
I remember really loving this book and anything Christopher Pike, while in middle school. :) thinking I need to re-read it as an adult to see if it was as good as I remembered because everyone is saying this was one of his worst! Lol
Oh the fondness. I like Pike's standalones and read them mostly instead of his series. I've reread most of my other favorites within the past several years, but haven't been able to get ahold of a copy of Scavenger Hunt for a long time.
This book started a tradition in my family of "gray fingers". Whenever you're reading something so scary you don't want to go to bed because of the nightmares, it's gray fingers. I was 13, this book scared me that bad!
I had to reread this book when I saw it as I was cleaning off my shelf. The beginning was great and I remembered why I liked it, but the end was so terrible. I guess it was a stepping stone to becoming the reader I am today.
this book is soooooooo cool. i read it last year and it really grabed my you guys should really read it .after readin this book there are new thing about my self. so ya check it out !!!
Scavenger Hunt By:christopher pike 7 25 Jan 14, 2013 11:23AM
  • Thirteen Tales of Horror (Point Horror 13's)
  • Trick or Treat (Point Horror, #6)
  • The Dead Lifeguard (Fear Street Superchiller, # 6)
  • Prom Dress
  • Funhouse (Point Horror, #9)
Christopher Pike is the pseudonym of Kevin McFadden. He is a bestselling author of young adult and children's fiction who specializes in the thriller genre.

McFadden was born in New York but grew up in California where he stills lives in today. A college drop-out, he did factory work, painted houses and programm
More about Christopher Pike...