Start by marking “I Sing the Body Electronic: A Year with Microsoft on the Multimedia Frontier” as Want to Read:
I Sing the Body Electronic: A Year with Microsoft on the Multimedia Frontier

I Sing the Body Electronic: A Year with Microsoft on the Multimedia Frontier

3.43  ·  Rating Details  ·  58 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Fred Moody spent a year shadowing a team of Microsoft developers working on a children's compact disc to be called Explorapedia. What he discovered was that, when the novelty and excitement surrounding the newest generation of software is stripped away, one finds a world not of high-tech efficiency but of simple human muddling.
Published August 1st 1996 by Penguin Books (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about I Sing the Body Electronic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Sing the Body Electronic

TELECOSM by George GilderUntil the Sun Falls by Cecelia HollandThe Art of War by Sun TzuA Book of Five Rings by Miyamoto MusashiIn, But Not of by Hugh Hewitt
OrgA
21st out of 39 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Andrew
Sep 15, 2012 Andrew rated it really liked it
Some cover blurbs compare this book to Soul of a New Machine by Tracy Kidder. This comparison is valid up to a point. The story of the Data General Eclipse is much more technical. Only a bare fraction of the text covers techincal issues, beyond the very legitimate complaints of the developer that he cannot begin work before the specifications are complete, or at least a first draft exists.

On the other hand, this book may be seen as quite technical in a business and management sense. Team
JP
May 18, 2013 JP rated it liked it
A coder or designer could find this book engaging; a normal human would not. While the senior developer on my team found it interesting, I as project manager found it too "close to home." The author chronicles the history of the Sendak project and it's team of intelligent, intense players. Combined with pressure from Bill Gates, a goal of delivering on time, dependency on the SPAM project to provide core tools, and no clear requirements, the team went through months and months of leaps and tange ...more
grundoon
Feb 19, 2015 grundoon rated it really liked it
Allowing a writer seemingly carte blanche access into the bottom-line-driven, labor-law-flouting, goat-rodeo culture that was 1993 Microsoft was probably not the wisest PR move. But it makes for good reading, an excellent reminder as to why I (twice) left the corporate world, and probably a bit of relief to many trench denizens that at least they weren't in THAT group.
Zoe
Jul 04, 2016 Zoe rated it really liked it
Our bartender wrote this book and loaned me a copy. It was good! Neat to read about Microsoft in the '90s now that I'm there.
Zach
May 14, 2008 Zach rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
this book showed me some points that I still refer to now, even after 12-13 years. An example is that designers and programmers have a difficult time understanding each other. Still valid problem today.
Paul
Oct 04, 2011 Paul rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A frustrating read, as the project never seems to get off the ground. But decently written. Overall, much like Dreaming In Code.
Lysergius
Jan 10, 2013 Lysergius rated it liked it
Shelves: computers
Its reassuring to know that Microsoft sucks to work for as much as their products suck to use. Amen.
Kyle
Kyle marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2016
Mateusz
Mateusz rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2016
S M
S M marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2015
Jan
Jan marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2015
brianstorms
brianstorms rated it it was ok
Oct 18, 2015
Alyssa
Alyssa marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2015
Peter
Peter rated it liked it
Sep 16, 2015
Joanie Nelson
Joanie Nelson marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Karenp
Karenp added it
Aug 16, 2015
Bartosz
Bartosz rated it liked it
Jul 11, 2015
Birger
Birger rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2015
David Lentz
David Lentz rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2015
Peter
Peter added it
Feb 07, 2015
Laurie
Laurie rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2015
Joseph
Joseph added it
Feb 23, 2015
Christopher
Christopher rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2015
John
John rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2014
Patrick Quealy
Patrick Quealy marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014