Start by marking “Nimisha's Ship” as Want to Read:

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,671 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
When it comes to sheer imagination and storytelling prowess, Anne McCaffrey is in a class by herself. Few writers have created characters more deeply loved or futures more intensely lived. For more than thirty years, she has reigned as one of the premier talents in science fiction and fantasy, flying above the crowd on the glittering wings of such masterworks as The Dragon ...more
Published February 19th 2002 by Del Rey (first published February 2nd 1998)

Louise Armstrong
This is one of Anne McCaffrey's 'Robinson Crusoe' stories, and much as I love the early books, I found this one dull because it recycled her favourite motifs: a place you get stuck in with a chap, lots of lovely stuff you can use on the planet and loot from the spaceships, people who become your pals, some horrid people who don't understand and some super aliens. (I'm not saying there's anything wrong with all this, you understand, it's just all there was.)

I did like the idea of the heroine's fa
Anatoly
Dec 29, 2015 Anatoly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very reminiscent of Robert Heinlein's young adult series of books/stories. But with the strong female lead and supporting characters. Unlike Heinlein's stories, however, no major character died.
Brian Schiebout
Apr 11, 2014 Brian Schiebout rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nimisha's Ship by Anne McCaffrey is the second book in the Body-Heir series. The main character is of course Nimisha who is the daughter of one of the elite families who decides to follow her father who she is not heir to into the field of ship building. As she takes over the yard do to her great talent everything is going well until a freak accident kills her father. She then discovers that even though she is not his body heir she has sill been granted the shipyard in her inheritance and she so ...more
rivka
Apr 25, 2015 rivka rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: McCaffrey completists
May or may not have read this originally, about when it first came out. Set in the same universe as novella The Coelura, but was apparently never followed up with a sequel.

I can see why -- while Nimisha is an interesting enough character, yet another exciting new colony world with critters that want to kill you and undaunted colonists who will survive anyway? McCaffrey did that before, and better.
Jen
Jun 19, 2008 Jen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books, fantasy
This is not the sort of thing I would read and I probably wouldn't have gotten all the way through it. I ended up listening to it on Audio and the narrator was excellent. I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would.
Luke Devenish
Feb 01, 2012 Luke Devenish rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't want this one to end! What an old sook I am. I thoroughly enjoyed this little Planetary Romance. The biggest source of tension for me was not whether plucky Nimisha and the smelly castaways would ever get found on challenging Erehwon, but whether steadfast Caleb, taking four long years to find her, would only arrive to get his heart broken upon discovering she'd shacked up with a stud! (And become the mother of the nation, what's more. What astonishing fecundity.) Mercifully, testostero ...more
Al
Feb 07, 2013 Al rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amazon.com Review

Parts of Nimisha's Ship are reminiscent of the melodramatic intrigue and romance among lords and ladies in Anne McCaffrey's first SF novel, (1967). Here, though, danger and drama are downplayed while the course of true love--plus the joy of friendship--moves to center stage. Nimisha, heir to her mother's wealth and high status, tomboyishly prefers the spaceship yards of her absentee father. She sneaks off to work with him and emerges as a gifted ship designer. One day, testin

Dora Sanabria
Nimisha’s grew up on Vega III in an aristocratic society where she had the best of everything. On her father’s tragic passing she is left in charge of her father’s Ship Yard to everyone’s surprise. She builds a space ship called the Mark 5 and takes it on a solo test run for what was supposed to be six weeks. Something unexpectedly goes wrong and she ends up light years away from home on this planet she named Erehwon. She there finds the true meaning of love with no contract. While she is coping ...more
Janine Noble
Not my favourite Anne McCaffrey, but still an interesting and entertaining read.

Nimisha Boynton-Rondymense, a First Family scion familiar with concepts such as “body-heir” and “Necklace Ceremony,” is found to have an unusual aptitude for mechanics and design – an aptitude fostered by her sire, the owner of a profitable, two-hundred-year-old Shipyard. On what should have been a routine test run, Nimisha encounters an unforeseen circumstance which catapults her into an unknown section of space.

Nim
MissJessie
Set in the future when space travel is commonplace, Nimisha's Ship is a light and enjoyable scifi book.

Nimisha is the Body Heir of a powerful woman who has the courage and ability to separate herself from what is expected of one of her class and birth.

She shows talent for designing space ships and is able to have the life she wishes, doing so.

On a trial run shakedown cruise of her latest design, she is lost in space. The book deals with how she copes with her new, alternate lifestyle.

This book
Amy Weiner
This was not one of McCaffrey's better books, with a very slow start as characters were introduced but not in a way that made me care for them. The pace of the story picked up about half way through and was better at engaging my attention. There were a number of "mentions" that were a bit heavy-handed at providing jumping-off places for sequals or spin-offs. I don't think most of those added to the story.
Kim
May 24, 2014 Kim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another nice book by Anne McCaffrey; however it must be said that it was overly cluttered. As such, even though the story was good, being about the lives of one family was overly much for one book. Even though it wasn't long, I believe it could have at least been split into two, probably even three if some things were just added in or given more detail accounts. So a good read that had a good basic story-line that had a small problem of being overly crowded.
Vaughn W
May 08, 2015 Vaughn W rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It has been a long time since I read a purely science fiction work and I very much enjoyed this one. It was my first tire reading Anne McCaffrey, even though I was aware of her work and had received previous recommendations to read her books. I cam very much recommend both this book and Ms. McCaffrey as an author.
Raygina
It took me a few days to read but overall it is a good book. There are a few slow moments but a few brilliant ones too. And some small lines that made me laugh out loud. Once I finished it I was wishing it was book one of a series.
Katey
Jan 13, 2015 Katey rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Kris
Mar 09, 2014 Kris rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I abandoned this after 20%. A great example of "telling" writing with long lists of plot events and nothing else. Disappointing because McCaffrey is one of my favorites.
Jul 27, 2013 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
BBFlyer
Apr 30, 2016 BBFlyer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful tale of space ships, worm holes, am plucky explorers.
Theresa
Jan 24, 2015 Theresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
McCaffrey, Anne
a new world a new planet a new series, the remarkable story of how a girl faces the ods, and finds her calling, the power of her wold is related to relation between people and their world. i love her drama inheritance in her books. a wonderful story of adventure and hardship.
Rogeriosantini
Mar 13, 2014 Rogeriosantini rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
fraquinho, fraquinho, fraquinho...
Heather Hile
Mar 08, 2016 Heather Hile rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
This is a fun story. Nimisha lives in a strict aristocratic society and goes out of the mold by becoming a spaceship design engineer. While on a test flight she becomes stranded on an alien world. I liked seeing her learn to survive as one different than her peers, and then seeing her learn to survive again as she finds herself on a dangerous planet.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I liked Nimisha as the strong heroine. I enjoy this story like I enjoyed many of the others because of the survival factor. I'm starting to think Ms. McCaffrey likes this trope quite a lot. This story even if it is sent in the future kind of reminds me of historical novels with Nimisha as the bluestocking. Is it because almost all the societies are patriarchal that has Ms. McCaffrey using such extremes? It's kind of a downer.
Firefly_1824
I haven't read a McCaffrey book in quite a while, but I did get into this one and enjoy it. I also enjoyed reading something new from her, rather than a Pern or Talent book. It is not overly dramatic, and the plot is enjoyable, as well as several of the characters, although only the main character seems to get a lot of character development. As always, the technical detail is well researched an understandable.
BeadKrazyDawn
Apr 16, 2014 BeadKrazyDawn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2014
I read this book at least once a year. Love it.
MJ
Mar 28, 2016 MJ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, 2016
Just love this book. Read it years ago (SO NOT something I would read at the time) just to make a friend happy... And I can't tell you how many times ive reread this one since. The only thing wrong with it, is that it is a stand alone...could def read a whole series or two on these guys.
Sharon
Jan 10, 2010 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of McCaffrey's more sci-fi books (rather than fantasy). As usual, she creates a believable universe for Nimisha, who ends up stranded far from home in her fancy spaceship. There's a sequel, the title of which escapes me at the moment.
Andrew McClarnon
Quite an amusing social setting, a pleasant trip around deep space, finding wrecks, stranded survivors and cuddly aliens. Very straight forward, but could have done with some baddies to add a sense of dramatic uncertainty.
Victoria
Oct 01, 2008 Victoria rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like Sci-Fi, Anne McCaffrey in particular (duh).
Recommended to Victoria by: Roommate
Shelves:
Am reading this on recommendation of a friend who shares my taste in fantasy books. Here's hoping I share her taste in Sci-Fi. I've never really been enticed by Anne McCaffrey before, so who knows how this one will go.
Nathanael (Boehm) Coyne
Enjoyed it, although the ending was a bit of a fizzle. I was hoping that pirates might be behind the creation of the wormholes or something but we don't get any answers just a vague hint of something funky.
Sep 12, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-fiction
Nice romance/adventure. One of my favorite McCaffreys. I got a bit sad, though, as this edition (paperback, 1993) refers to a TV project for her Pern series, which of course never saw the light of day.
  • The Ship Errant (Brainship, #6)
  • The Ship Avenged
  • The People of Pern
  • Rules of Engagement (The Serrano Legacy, #5)
  • In the Company of Others
  • General Practice: A Sector General Omnibus (Sector General, #7-8)
  • Dragonholder: The Life and Dreams (So Far) of Anne McCaffrey
  • Balance of Trade (Liaden Universe, #3)
  • The Spheres of Heaven
  • More Than Honor (Worlds of Honor, #1)
  • The Eagle & the Nightingales (Bardic Voices, #3)
  • Beyond Varallan (Stardoc, #2)
Anne McCaffrey was born on April 1st, 1926, in Cambridge, Massachusetts, at 1:30 p.m., in the hour of the Sheep, year of the Fire Tiger, sun sign Aries with Taurus rising and Leo mid-heaven (which seems to suggest an early interest in the stars).

Her parents were George Herbert McCaffrey, BA, MA PhD (Harvard), Colonel USA Army (retired), and Anne Dorothy McElroy McCaffrey, estate agent. She had two
More about Anne McCaffrey...