Start by marking “Something Wicked” as Want to Read:
Something Wicked

Something Wicked (Death On Demand #3)

3.8  ·  Rating Details ·  1,396 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
Everyone--including mystery bookstore owner Annie Laurance--loves Arsenic and Old Lace.But something wicked is poisoned a local summer stock production as cast members stab each other in the back and props are sabotaged.Worst of all, the star, aging Hollywood beach-blanket hunk Shane Petree, butchers his lines--while getting top billing in bed with wives and teenage daught ...more
Published June 16th 2010 by Bantam (first published May 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Something Wicked, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Something Wicked

Kathy Davie
Dec 27, 2011 Kathy Davie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Third in the Death on Demand mystery series set in a bookstore specializing in mysteries and run by Annie Laurence.

It won an Agatha and an Anthony.

My Take
There is a very Agatha Christie feel to this mystery so it's understandable that it won an Agatha award. I have to confess that Annie was very annoying in this story. She takes everything so seriously. Part of me wanted to either smack Annie and tell her to lighten up while another part wanted Annie to smack Max for his being so very amused by
Beth
This plot moved so slowly for me that I almost gave up on it, but the characters managed to hold my interest so I continued on. It was not until the book was almost at the half-way point when someone did in fact turn up dead; I was beginning to wonder just what kind of "murder mystery" this could be where no one dies but I felt rewarded in the end for sticking with it. A bunch of quirky characters are cast-mates in the summer stock production of Arsenic and Old Lace, and until the promised murde ...more
Kwoomac
Aug 03, 2010 Kwoomac rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, yuck
Yuck. Convoluted mystery (with lots of references to better mysteries). I hate this series, yet picked yet another of them up in search of a quick read. Murder takes place during rehearsal for amateur production of "Arsenic and Old Lace". Lots of references to this as well. Better to stick to reading the stories she mentioned. Please don't let me read another one of these books.
Katherine Clark
Read for monograph. In 1988, the Malice Domestic Awards were created. The Agatha is given to the best novel and best first novel (as well as a few other designations.) The first Agatha given for a best novel was to Hart's Something Wicked, part of the Death on Demand series.

My favorite aspects of this series: the setting is an island off of South Carolina. Hart does a great job with description, enough so that I would love to see and possibly live on such an island, and I really have no interest
Kate
Oct 31, 2014 Kate rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
"Everyone -- including mystery bookstore owner Annie Lawrence -- loves Arsenic and Old Lace. But something wicked is poisoning a local summer stock production as cast members stab each other in the back and props are sabotaged. Worst of all, the star, aging Hollywood beach-blanket hunk Shane Petree, butchers his lines -- while getting top billing in bed with wives and teenage daughters around town. No wonder somebody wants to draw his final curtain.

"A pompous prosecutor tries to pin a murder on
Connie
Nov 10, 2011 Connie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
SOMETHING WICKED by Carolyn G Hart is 226 pages in paperback form. This is #3 in Death On Demand Series featuring Annie Laurance.

Brief Description:

A DEADLY THEATRICAL WHODUNIT COMES TO LIFE

Everyone--including mystery, bookstore owner Annie Laurance--loves
Arsenic and Old Lace. But something wicked is poisoning a local summer
Jun 30, 2016 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ronda
Sep 14, 2015 Ronda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, humorous
Made me want to revisit Arsenic and Old Lace (the old movie version). Fun mystery, neat setting, great bookstore, but dialogue and vocabulary are so formal that it seems to keep the characters at arm length and two-dimensional. That said, I enjoy learning some new words and look forward to whatever new madness Max's mother comes up with next for the wedding of the century.
Judy Goodnight
#3 of the Death on Demand series

This is my year to catch up on this series although it looks like I'll be continuing into 2014. I really like the mystery bookstore milieu, the island setting, the five pictures mystery puzzle in each novel, and, most of all, Annie & Max, the main characters.

What I could use a little less of is the over-the-top secondary characters such as Henny Brawley, Annie's best customer who likes to assist in the investigations by taking on the persona of various fiction
Ruth
Mar 14, 2013 Ruth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Well, at least Annie wasn't suspected for long in this one... this time it was poor ole Max. Sigh. Isn't there another way to get plot tension besides putting your leading characters in jeopardy?

Community theater + Arsenic and Old Lace + a money-hungry-developer + a lazy, washed-up, surfer/Hollywood-Star + alley-cat wives + bitchy teens + election-mongering prosecutors + wedding plans + Annie and Max = general fun.

What I like about this series is that it's a nice romp with literary underpinning
Deanna
Mar 22, 2016 Deanna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Maybe it would be better in print...but the audio was annoying. All the reference to books and authors just reminded me of a name dropping want-to-be. The actual mystery was good and when describing it to people sounded intriguing. I just didn't like it.
Michele
Jul 29, 2016 Michele rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me a bit to get into the rhythm of the author's writing style...but once I did, it was a great whodunit, based out of a mystery book store. I loved the references to the characters from the murder mystery classics.
Jessi
It's up to Annie and Max to figure out why the summer stock version of "Arsenic and Old Lace" is having so many problems. Things have been moved around, there was a dead cat in the window seat, and now one of their castmates is dead. Granted, the aging surf-picture-star was causing a LOT of problems, not knowing his lines, messing around with both a mother and her daughter, just generally being a putz. Which means that there are more than a few suspects. Including Max. It seems the county prosec ...more
Kathleen Meacham
Something wicked is truly something wicked. I may not be able to continue with this author based on content that is outside of my personal comfort zone.
Elena
Dec 29, 2015 Elena rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Not the most well done of this type of mystery. Too many characters and didn't seem easy to pick up in the middle of the series.
Sue
Oct 23, 2011 Sue rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
"Something Wicked"(Death on Demand #3)by Carolyn Hart.

Annie and Max join the local summer theatre group and attempt to put on Arsenic and Old Lace. When one of the main players is found murdered, Annie and Max must solve the crime. The inclusion of the pompous Circuit Court Solicitor into the mix is so humorous. Of course, he thinks Max is to blame. I found this book
Vanessa
Nov 06, 2009 Vanessa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hart is beginning to build on her first two books to give the reoccurring characters more depth. The introduction of Max's mother and the upcoming wedding between the fabulously wealthy Max and hard-working Annie are hilarious!

Annie and Max join the local summer theatre group and attempt to put on Arsenic and Old Lace. When one of the main players is found murdered (whom everyone has a motive to kill), Annie and Max must solve the crime. The inclusion of the pompous Circuit Court Solicitor into
Wendy
Nov 13, 2014 Wendy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really like the series overall. This book moved at a nice pace and if can get over the irritating nature of Annie (Max is not in this one as much) you will really enjoy the book.
Meredith
Feb 02, 2015 Meredith is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I'm having a lot of trouble with this book..disappointing because i really enjoyed "Death on Demand."
Diana Petty-stone
Nov 11, 2014 Diana Petty-stone rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the Death on Demand books. A good cozy mystery series.
Brenda Spangler
Jun 26, 2015 Brenda Spangler rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Brenda by: given to me in book rounds
Uhm...a bit slow to start and perhaps too many suspects...at least so far. The end picked up and I like the main characters....
Karen
Jan 15, 2014 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Further adventures of my favorite bookstore owner! I first read it years and years ago -- decided to re-read the series from the beginning (and, someday, maybe even catch up to where I left off!). It's been just long enough since I read it the first time that I didn't remember the story completely. Definitely worth the re-read!
Jen
Oct 04, 2012 Jen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
Annie runs a bookstore called Death On Demand. In this book she's part of a theater group who is rehersing for Arsenic and Old Lace, when (cue creepy music)someone is murdered. So who did it, and why? To find out, read on.

The book kept my interest but it didn't evoke much emotion. I kept confusing the characters, probably because I wasn't that invested. It's a good book for multi-tasking; light, not too emotional, something you can put on for back ground noise and enjoy without paying too close
Martha
Jun 07, 2012 Martha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the 3rd Death on Demand Book and, while very good as most of Ms. Hart's series are, I found the characters annoying and verging on cliche'. I don't know which ones bothered me more - Annie, Henny, Laurel, or Max. I also get tired of the one-dimensional, stereotyped Southern law enforcers... the myopic refusal to consider other points of view strikes me as implausible. Despite this - I do enjoy the series and have started another on. (Thank you, public library!!)
Jassira Raxlly
Jun 04, 2016 Jassira Raxlly rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sex shaming - specifically, homophobic, lesbian shaming.
Karen M
I was disappointed in this third book in the Death By Demand series. Annie seemed really annoying to the point where I started to dislike her. The story seemed to drag and I only continued to read it because I hate to not finish a book. I don't know if I will continue with this series, probably not.
Debra
Mar 20, 2013 Debra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
This is the third book in the "Death on Demand" series. In this one, Annie has to solve the mystery of the death of a cast mate in the local production of Arsenic and Old Lace. To save her beloved fiancé max from jail, Annie must take chances in order to bring the real murderer to justice.
Alex
Oct 13, 2013 Alex rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: detectives-read, 2013
Simply awful. But then I don't like the theater, so maybe that explains it. On the other hand, didn't care for the first in the series either. There are still a couple of her books on the shelf downstairs. They are likely to stay there for the duration.
Carol  MacInnis
Oct 03, 2011 Carol MacInnis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
As things heat up on a local summer stock production, things are looking very bad for Annie's fiance, Max. Max is being accused of murder by a pompous prosecutor and things are looking bad for Annie and Max's wedding. A great 'whodunit' read.
Chris
Oct 10, 2009 Chris rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as the first 2, I don't know why, maybe I read it at the wrong time? In any event, I will go on with the series because, being a bookoholic and the protagonist being a mystery bookstore owner...it just seems right...lol
  • Yankee Doodle Dead (Death on Demand, #10)
  • Strangled Prose (Claire Malloy, #1)
Also writing as Carolyn G. Hart.

An accomplished master of mystery with 46 published books, Carolyn Hart is the creator of the highly acclaimed Henrie O,Death on Demand, and Bailey Ruth Raeburn series. Her books have won multiple Agatha, Anthony, and Macavity Awards. Letter from Home (2003), her standalone mystery set in Oklahoma, was nominated for the Pulitzer Prize. Her latest book is Dead by Mid
More about Carolyn Hart...

Death On Demand (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Death On Demand (Death On Demand, #1)
  • Design For Murder (Death On Demand, #2)
  • Honeymoon With Murder (Death on Demand, #4)
  • A Little Class on Murder (Death on Demand, #5)
  • Deadly Valentine (Death on Demand, #6)
  • The Christie Caper (Death on Demand, #7)
  • Southern Ghost (Death on Demand, #8)
  • Mint Julep Murder (Death on Demand, #9)
  • Yankee Doodle Dead (Death on Demand, #10)
  • White Elephant Dead (Death on Demand, #11)