Start by marking “Munson: The Life and Death of a Yankee Captain” as Want to Read:
Munson: The Life and Death of a Yankee Captain

Munson: The Life and Death of a Yankee Captain

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  306 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Our captain and leader has not left us, today, tomorrow, this year, next … Our endeavors will reflect our love and admiration for him.”
—Honorary plaque to Munson in Yankee Stadium

Thurman Munson is remembered by fans as the fiercely competitive, tough, and—most of all—inspiring Yankee captain and champion from the wild Bronx Zoo years. He is also remembered for his tragic d
Published June 1st 2010 by Anchor (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Munson, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Munson

M. Milner
Aug 18, 2014 M. Milner rated it it was ok
As a player, Munson represented the gritty everyday kind of persona. He played through injuries, logging time at the demanding role of catcher. In his lifetime, he was seen as gruff, blue collar, a regular kind of guy. Needless to say, he resonated with a lot of fans. It’s too bad only glimpses of this man come across in Marty Appel’s biography.

Appel had a unique relationship with his subject. For most of the 1970s, Appel was Public Relations director for the Yankees. And in 1978, he worked with
Steve
Aug 11, 2011 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sports
One of the fastest and riveting reads I've had in a long time. I couldn't put the book down once I got started on it and I spent most of my DC commuting time focused on its pages. I was at Fort Bragg, NC when I got the news of Munson's tragic accident, but I never really got the full story about how it happenned and the impact it played on future Yankees teams. Marty Appel did an amazing job on this book -- although I felt the Jerry Anderson-Tom Rinaldi interview was a little too much for the bo ...more
Tommy
Jun 10, 2011 Tommy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book counts as 1

this book is about therman munson, a yankee, a yankee captain and a all time yankee great. this book shows us who he was as a person and talks about him on and off the field.

during this book, it talks a lot about the 1977, 78 and 76 seasons. it talks about how munson won the american league most valuable player. it describes the 1977 world series on how they won, how they beat the dodgers then same in 1978. it also sums ups his problems with reggie jackson. something that
Ralph
Jul 23, 2009 Ralph rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a straight-ahead biography of one of New York's favorite sons - Thurman Munson. His hustle, grit, determination to win packed into an average body type made him a favorite amongst Yankee fans. Munson was a true American "gamer", who seemed to come through in clutch situations all too frequently. His memory is still alive and well today, and any visit to Yankee Stadium will result in seeing dozens of Munson T-Shirts. This book does justice to the complexity of the man, and the things that ...more
Logan
Oct 09, 2009 Logan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I heard of this book on a sports radio talk show about the Yankees. I thought it was going to be a good book because I am a catcher and I love baseball. I think this author wanted us to take away from this book that a true hero for the Yankees died in a terrible accident and no one really acknowledges that fact anymore. I would recommend this book to any die hard baseball fan becuase of the information it gives you about a great baseball player. I learned that Thurman Munson was a true all aroun ...more
Doug Probst
Dec 20, 2014 Doug Probst rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tough, quiet leader. Although I'm an Indians fan, it, was easy to respect him as a player, leader and person. Great to get an 'off the field' view of the Yankees during an incredible time of their history.
Melissa Loucks
Feb 11, 2014 Melissa Loucks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i really enjoyed reading this book because as a Yankee's fan I did not get to see that generation of yankee players so it was great to read about them.
Amy
May 21, 2014 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography-sports
Riveting! Thurmon Munson was a Yankee and this alone should have turned me against the man and this book. But, Munson was also an Ohioan and a dedicated one at that!

This was a fascinating look at the life and death of Thurmon Munson. Munson was killed on August 2, 1979 when the Cessna he was piloting crashed just short of the runway at Akron-Canton Regional Airport.

I am amazed by the people he played ball with and those who were good friends. I spent quality time at my local library digging up m
Keith McGowan
I would only recommend this book to die hard Yankee fans as there was very little criticism, only praise.
Wevans
Sep 25, 2015 Wevans rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Have always been a fan of Munson.
Great book.
The chapter regarding his crash is very moving.
David Pomerico
I always wanted to know more about Munson, but I have to say that Appel is not the best writer. The story is all over the place, probably because he realized that Munson's career wasn't that long and, ultimately, he was a pretty bland character. I think there are probably better books about the era (I really want to read "Ladies and Gentlemen, the Bronx is Burning" now), and I just couldn't help be disappointed by someone who had been such a mythical figure for me as a Yankees fan.
Charles
this book is about a star yankee thurmun munson he was an amazing cathcer and literally everyone who was a yankee fan loved this man. he could have possibly been a hall of fame player but tradically he died in a plane crash and devistated all of baseball players and fans. Thurmun munson will always be remembered by the yankees, mlb and the fans. i never got to watch thurmun but by reading this book and hearing his life to death i know i would have liked him
Jonathan
Aug 03, 2010 Jonathan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fitting and complete tribute to the Yankee captain, number 15. Marty Appel knew Munson well in life, helping him to write his autobiography. What is fascinating about this book is that it tells about his family, birth, growing up, superstardom, death, and post-mortem. The book quotes famous athletes, celebrities, and Munson's friends and family. Well-done with respect and class, this book makes you feel like you were there.
Daniel Nelson
Mar 25, 2010 Daniel Nelson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written by the former PR director for the New York Yankees, Marty Appel. Here you get an insiders view of the Yankee captain, Thurman Munson. I've always been intrigued by sports figures that are beloved as Munson was, yet their actions often paint a picture of conflicted individuals. Here you get a wide ranging view of a terrific ball player, leader and family man mixed with baseball, controversy, and even a little drama.
Marti
Aug 25, 2009 Marti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was interesting to me because of Thurman Munson's connections to Canton, Ohio, where I lived for about a decade. Also interesting were the connections in modern baseball to the Yankees and Mets teams of the 1970's. Appel's storytelling was sometimes hard to follow, but overall it was an enjoyable read. Those who don't like baseball or biographies probably would not enjoy this book.
Greg
Dec 14, 2014 Greg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a must read for NY Yankee fans especially those fans of the 1970s. Thurman Munson was the first NY Yankee Captain since Lou Gehrig. His work ethics and determination pulled the Yankees out of a long slump from previous World Series. The author gave me more insight and details that led to his tragic death.
William
Sep 20, 2012 William rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Enlightening and interesting, especially for those who remember the Yankees of Munson's time. Many good details on his childhood, too. The author does come across as overly kind toward his subject, however (which makes sense given his friendship with Munson).
Kay
Jan 01, 2010 Kay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography, sports
This is a very interesting account of the Yankee catcher, Thurman Munson whose life ended tragically in a plane crash. If you are a Yankee fan [which I'm not:] especially during the 70's I believe you will enjoy this book even more than I did.
Don LaFountaine
Apr 03, 2013 Don LaFountaine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book. It is a must read for any and all Yankee fans. It is also a must read for any baseball fan, including Red Sox fans. Marty Appel wrote a wonderful book and I learned a few new things about Thurman Munson.
Lee
A candid biography of Yankee Captain Thurman Munson who was killed in a plane crash at only 32. A good look at Thurman’s troubled childhood, his career with the Yankees his death and his aftermath.
Carrie
Jan 21, 2012 Carrie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure why I wanted to read this book (I am a Red Sox fan) and I don't like Munson any more than before. But I guess I respect him as a competitor and wish the ending had been different.
Svk
Feb 13, 2011 Svk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story of a primary player in the Yankee history. I was just a kid when all this was happening. It was great to get a behind the scene look at the headlines I remember from my youth.
TJ
Jun 01, 2011 TJ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: baseball
Im not a Yankee fan at all, but after watching The Brox is Burning i thought i would read about Munson. I never seen him play but by what i read Muson was a hard working captain.
Daniel DeLappe
I read the first book this guy wrote on Munson. There is little to no difference between the two. Very shallow and boring.
Derek
Aug 12, 2010 Derek rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic biography of Thurman Munson -- lots of details on his childhood and plane crash not previously written about.
Sean Asbury
Nov 29, 2011 Sean Asbury rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: baseball
It was a good read about Thurm but I felt that the author projected himself in to the story too often
Justin
Jul 29, 2011 Justin rated it it was amazing
I HATE the Yankees....but, i respect, this guy
Mike Gallo
Mike Gallo marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
  • Steinbrenner: The Last Lion of Baseball
  • The Bronx Zoo: The Astonishing Inside Story of the 1978 World Champion New York Yankees
  • The Big Bam: The Life and Times of Babe Ruth
  • Stan Musial: An American Life
  • Satchel: The Life and Times of an American Legend
  • The Last Hero: A Life of Henry Aaron
  • Roger Maris: Baseball's Reluctant Hero
  • October Men: Reggie Jackson, George Steinbrenner, Billy Martin, and the Yankees' Miraculous Finish in 1978
  • The Long Ball: The Summer of '75 -- Spaceman, Catfish, Charlie Hustle, and the Greatest World Series Ever Played
  • Cooperstown Confidential: Heroes, Rogues, and the Inside Story of the Baseball Hall of Fame
  • Driving Mr. Yogi: Yogi Berra, Ron Guidry, and Baseball's Greatest Gift