Start by marking “The Book of Assistance” as Want to Read:
The Book of Assistance

The Book of Assistance

4.67 of 5 stars 4.67  ·  rating details  ·  285 ratings  ·  18 reviews
There are many books in English that present Sufi doctrine, but few that can be used as practical travel guides along the Path. Originally written in classical Arabic, this volume is in widespread use among Sufi teachers in Arabia, Indonesia, and East Africa; its devotions, prayers, and practical ethics are invaluable as a guide along the Sufi Way.
Published January 1st 2003 by Fons Vitae (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about The Book of Assistance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book of Assistance

W.B. Abdullah
This is my remedy when my heart needs some curing and softening. A great guide for Muslims who need to reconnect to the deen of Allah. I love how short and comprehensive the chapters are. They are short and sweet, but very deep. I can't help but learn something new each time I pick up this book. The Book of Assistance definitely makes the reader contemplate. It's a great straight talk and counsel. The Nur of the author definitely comes through--mashAllah, he would've been an incredible shaykh to ...more
Chris
Apr 14, 2007 Chris rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those seeking meaning to Life
This is like Imam Haddad's Knowledge and Wisdom, but more flushed out and detailed. For that reason, more appropriate for studying in a group or with a teacher as well. Again, another essential for American Muslims.
Rashid
I hesitate to place this in my "read" shelf, as I know I will continue to return to it over and over again...
Bayu Priyambodo
one of the best 'Tassawuf for beginner" book by one of the greatest Tassawuf Syaikh in Alawiyya tariqa.

David
I feel comfortable saying that every Muslim in the United States of America should read this book regularly, reflect on its contents, ask knowledgeable Muslims for clarifications on any obscure passages, and work to sincerely implement all of its teachings in their daily lives. May Allah make it easy for all of us to tread the way of the Hereafter, ameen.
noreen
Apr 30, 2007 noreen rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
A book you can read again and again and again and be inspired anew each time.
Marc Manley
Actually reading the original Arabic version of this - very enlightening.
Mubushar Raza
What an amazing, thought provoking, and important book. Even though the book is short, the message it contains is massive. Certainly a book that you have to refer to frequently!!!
Ameerah Ain
Excellent, to read, re-read and read again.
Ahmad
Beautiful, simple, and straight to the heart. Also many thanks to brother Mostafa Al Badawi for the wonderful and accurate translation. The full name of the text as mentioned by the original author: "The book of assistance, support and encouragement for such believers as desire to follow the way of the afterlife." May Allah bless his soul.
Suhayb
This book is a must read for all Muslims. Great translation. Very deep meanings and lessons but easy to take in and absorb.
Ahsun
each chapter is a short and simple message about a particular virtue. good stuff
Yumna
One of my favorite books and reminders.
Usamah Hussein
Read several time at lease once a year
Divine
Great book for the seeker on the path
Auzziemuslim Oz
May 28, 2011 Auzziemuslim Oz is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
excellent reading:)
Ameen
Jan 17, 2011 Ameen is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
SICKS
Nabiha Zakir
Nabiha Zakir is currently reading it
Jan 24, 2015
Rizal Khaefi
Rizal Khaefi marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Shazia Dar
Shazia Dar marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Rafia Saleem
Rafia Saleem marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Priom Ahmed
Priom Ahmed is currently reading it
Jan 18, 2015
  • Inner Dimensions of Islamic Worship
  • Reliance of the Traveller: A Classic Manual of Islamic Sacred Law
  • The Creed of Imam al-Tahawi
  • Purification of the Heart: Signs, Symptoms and Cures of the Spiritual Diseases of the Heart
  • Al-Maqasid: Nawawi's Manual of Islam
  • Instruction of the Student: The Method of Learning
  • Islam and the Destiny of Man
  • رسالة المسترشدين
  • Scattered Pictures: Reflections Of An American Muslim
  • Vision of Islam
  • The Content of Character: Ethical Sayings of the Prophet Muhammad (sa)
  • A Sufi Saint of the Twentieth Century: Shaikh Ahmad al-Alawi
  • دلائل الخيرات
  • التنوير في إسقاط التدبير
  • The History of the Qur'anic Text from Revelation to Compilation: A Comparative Study with the Old and New Testaments
  • Radical Reform: Islamic Ethics and Liberation
  • Islam and the Blackamerican: Looking Toward the Third Resurrection
The Lives of Man: A Guide to the Human States: Before Life, In the World, and After Death Gifts for the Seeker Two Treatises: Mutual Reminding & Good Manners Knowledge and Wisdom Counsels of Religion