Start by marking “Elixir” as Want to Read:

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  214 ratings  ·  24 reviews
When biologist Chris Bacon headed for the unspoiled rainforests of Papua New Guinea in search of medicinal plants, he had no idea that he would bring home a rare flower rumored by a tribal shaman to prevent human aging. Driven by fountain-of-youth dreams, he plans to turn the flower into an elixir of youth and health.

But as Chris begins tampering with the ultimate secret o
Published August 13th 2001 by Tor Books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Elixir, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elixir

Don
A good fiction writer makes his writing invisible - that is, the story draws you in and you're oblivious to the writing (e.g., Dan Brown).
A great fiction writer constantly amazes you by using words in delightfully unexpected ways (e.g., Oscar Wilde).
An unmatured ficton writer writes in a way that constantly draws attention to the writing in less flattering ways. Unfortunately Elixir represents the latter. As I was reading this I constantly found myself thinking - "that could have been said bette
Michaela Goebel
The idea of a fountain of youth... A way to cheat aging and disease and ultimately death itself... Holds a certain appeal. What would you do if faced with the chance to live a longer life than anyone around you? Would you opt for that life knowing that you would watch your loved ones age around you? This question is only part of the story that Gary Braver presents with Elixir. Add in just enough science to support the idea, a not so nice pharmaceutical company executive willing to do anything to ...more
Mingo Twain
Wonderful book with a great story line. Makes you think about what if? Sometimes we like to dream about living forever, but Gary makes you think about the consequences of what that would actually be like. I don't find a lot of books that keep my interest, but this one....excellent.
Marci
OK book, although I didn't enjoy some of the swear words used throughout.
Paul Darcy
by Gary Braver, published in 2000.

I’m going to start right off by saying I really enjoyed this novel. At it’s heart is a huge “what if” question, one which is handled well by author Gary Braver.

It is no surprise that our population is aging as the tidal wave of baby boomers heads into their fifties and sixties. And it is no surprise that the dream of prolonging one’s life is on the minds of many people, people getting ready to retire and would like to live as long as they could.

How about forever
Fran

Author: Gary Braver
Reviewed by Fran Lewis

How would you feel if there was a way never to grow old or age on the outside or inside? What would you do to prevent anyone from getting his or her hands on this great Elixir or medicine? Would you believe that this really existed and what would happen if you used it, marketed it for your company and then the unthinkable happens? Welcome to my review of Elixir by multi-talented and bestselling author Gary Braver and enter the world of Christopher B
Norm Davis
Aug 22, 2012 Norm Davis rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Thriller fans
Recommended to Norm by: Book blurb and reviews
4.5 Stars. I really liked it (4 stars) but only bordered on being amazing (5 stars). Braver does an excellent job of character and plot development which results in a book that is a page turner that can threaten your sleep cycle. A few times I thought to myself that it was a lot like John Grisham’s hang on to your hat book, The Firm.

I’ve read some of the reviews that moan about the unbelievable parts and the incorrect science (technically). To those folks I’ll not assault them with the scientifi
Libgirl16
What if you could live forever? Would you want to? It would be a life constantly on the move, before anyone gets suspicious. Not to mention, a life of seeing your loved ones get old and pass away while you continue to live at whatever age you were frozen. And what about the most excruciating and agonizing death that is certain if the maintenance dose of the "Elixir" of youth does not reach your body in a timely way? Would you want that? What if the "Elixir" got into the wrong hands, and turned t ...more
Kristen
In Gary Braver's Elixir, he took us on a journey to Papua New Guinea and back home to the USA. When biologist Chris Bacon headed to the forests of Papua New Guinea for medicinal plants, he had no idea on what he would find and take home from him. A rare flower that's rumored by a tribal shaman to prevent human aging. Hooked on his fountain-of-youth fantasies, he planned to tamper with the plant to make an elixir. Unknowingly as he messed around with nature, it leashed dangerous forces to threate ...more
Pam Jones
It was a good book. The plot is not new, but the story has enough fresh takes to it to be good reading. A few sections seem to be abruptly introduced enough to make you page back a few to make sure you didn't sleep through a few pages. It gets a bit preachy in a few places and sometimes the conclusions the characters mutually seem to accept are not well supported. But, it was good and I do not regret the time it took to read it or that I had to revert back to printed book (my Nook was lonely).
Limopilot
My wife got a signed copy of this a few years ago while she was with a friend in the hospital. She never did read it, so I picked it off the shelf and am giving it a try.
Only about 2 dozen pages in and just Ok to this point, but I have high hopes for it.

Now that it is done, I think that a sequel has to be in the works, there are just enough loose ends that it is possible to continue without the second feeling too contrived. . . .

Otherwise a decent book.
Lisa James
Michael Crichton meets Robin Cook in this medical mystery/thriller about the elusive Fountain of Youth formula! This book hooks you from the first description of Christopher Bacon going through the jungles of Papua,New Guinea with his old school friend turned shaman, Iwati, & keeps you turning pages to the surprising twist at the end, which I won't disclose! I promise, you will NOT be disappointed!
Gertie
Upon reading the premise of the book (man discovers an immortality drug in a rare orchid) I was concerned it would be your typical "man finds fountain of youth, tries to evade bad guys, while ultimately deciding he should not choose immortality for himself, or let the rest of the world choose it either". Turns out to be more fleshed out than that, so I was pleasantly surprised.
Landon
A flower in the Papua New Guinean rainforest can stop the aging process.

Not enough jungle scenes, but all in all it was a fun read. There are a few hiccups on the science, not incorrect, but poor word choice. The story is compelling, there are some really good twists, and the ending is (in my estimation) pretty satisfying.
Rebecca Dean
I only keep the books that I love and I did not keep this book. It was an OK read, but the 4-letter swear words put me off and were totally uncessary. Interesting premise, however. Ok read for an airplane trip or something light to carry to the beach.
Caron
Fun! always interesting to explore concepts of eternal life/youth and the repurcussions. Did I spell repurcussions right??? oh well:)
Brandi
Definite page turner.... what if we could live forever? There are more reasons to think twice about it than you might realize...
Tymothy
This was an excellent updated take on the 'Picture of Dorian Gray' that I thoroughly enjoyed.
Patty
A chemical company is developing the "fountain of youth" drug, but should they?
Dawn
Started off slow but turned into a pretty good read.
Betty
medical thriller....is Braver's first novel.
Karissa
Great book. Very smart and captivating.
Hilary
Creepy and poorly written.
Gwendy2
Fountain of youth?
Angelica
Angelica marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Levi Walls
Levi Walls marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
Dan J
Dan J added it
Jun 29, 2015
  • Basketful of Crap (Hard Luck Hank #2)
  • The Thousand-Headed Man (Doc Savage #2)
  • The Girl In The Red Hoodie (The Grimm Curse)
  • HeartsBlood (Praxis, #1)
  • The Gates of Creation (World of Tiers, #2)
  • The Trikon Deception
  • Compulsion (Frank Clevenger, #3)
  • The Killing Art (Kate McKinnon, #3)
  • Manitou Blood (Manitou, #4)
  • Minutes to Burn
  • Orphan's Destiny (Jason Wander, #2)
  • Beginning Operations: A Sector General Omnibus (Sector General, #1-3)
  • The Planet Savers
  • Always (Aud Torvingen #3)
  • Connected
  • The Donor
  • Liberation Day (Nick Stone, #5)
Gary Braver is the pen name of Gary Goshgarian, the author of six critically acclaimed suspense novels: three under his own name--Atlantis Fire, Rough Beast and The Stone Circle--and three under his pen name--Elixir, Gray Matter, and Flashback. He is also the author of four popular college writing textbooks--Exploring Language, The Contemporary Reader, Dialogues, and What Matters in America.

Gary G
More about Gary Braver...
Gray Matter Tunnel Vision Flashback Skin Deep Atlantis Fire