Start by marking “Elixir” as Want to Read:

Elixir

When biologist Chris Bacon headed for the unspoiled rainforests of Papua New Guinea in search of medicinal plants, he had no idea that he would bring home a rare flower rumored by a tribal shaman to prevent human aging. Driven by fountain-of-youth dreams, he plans to turn the flower into an elixir of youth and health.

But as Chris begins tampering with the ultimate secret o
Published August 13th 2001 by Tor Books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Elixir, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elixir

Don
Jul 05, 2010 Don rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction, abandoned
A good fiction writer makes his writing invisible - that is, the story draws you in and you're oblivious to the writing (e.g., Dan Brown).
A great fiction writer constantly amazes you by using words in delightfully unexpected ways (e.g., Oscar Wilde).
An unmatured ficton writer writes in a way that constantly draws attention to the writing in less flattering ways. Unfortunately Elixir represents the latter. As I was reading this I constantly found myself thinking - "that could have been said bette
Michaela Goebel
Dec 26, 2011 Michaela Goebel rated it really liked it
The idea of a fountain of youth... A way to cheat aging and disease and ultimately death itself... Holds a certain appeal. What would you do if faced with the chance to live a longer life than anyone around you? Would you opt for that life knowing that you would watch your loved ones age around you? This question is only part of the story that Gary Braver presents with Elixir. Add in just enough science to support the idea, a not so nice pharmaceutical company executive willing to do anything to ...more
Mingo Twain
Mar 03, 2014 Mingo Twain rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book with a great story line. Makes you think about what if? Sometimes we like to dream about living forever, but Gary makes you think about the consequences of what that would actually be like. I don't find a lot of books that keep my interest, but this one....excellent.
Fran
Sep 05, 2011 Fran rated it it was amazing

Author: Gary Braver
Reviewed by Fran Lewis

How would you feel if there was a way never to grow old or age on the outside or inside? What would you do to prevent anyone from getting his or her hands on this great Elixir or medicine? Would you believe that this really existed and what would happen if you used it, marketed it for your company and then the unthinkable happens? Welcome to my review of Elixir by multi-talented and bestselling author Gary Braver and enter the world of Christopher B
Paul Darcy
Jan 08, 2012 Paul Darcy rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
by Gary Braver, published in 2000.

I’m going to start right off by saying I really enjoyed this novel. At it’s heart is a huge “what if” question, one which is handled well by author Gary Braver.

It is no surprise that our population is aging as the tidal wave of baby boomers heads into their fifties and sixties. And it is no surprise that the dream of prolonging one’s life is on the minds of many people, people getting ready to retire and would like to live as long as they could.

How about forever
Norm Davis
Aug 22, 2012 Norm Davis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Thriller fans
Recommended to Norm by: Book blurb and reviews
4.5 Stars. I really liked it (4 stars) but only bordered on being amazing (5 stars). Braver does an excellent job of character and plot development which results in a book that is a page turner that can threaten your sleep cycle. A few times I thought to myself that it was a lot like John Grisham’s hang on to your hat book, The Firm.

I’ve read some of the reviews that moan about the unbelievable parts and the incorrect science (technically). To those folks I’ll not assault them with the scientifi
Libgirl16
Dec 14, 2012 Libgirl16 rated it really liked it
What if you could live forever? Would you want to? It would be a life constantly on the move, before anyone gets suspicious. Not to mention, a life of seeing your loved ones get old and pass away while you continue to live at whatever age you were frozen. And what about the most excruciating and agonizing death that is certain if the maintenance dose of the "Elixir" of youth does not reach your body in a timely way? Would you want that? What if the "Elixir" got into the wrong hands, and turned t ...more
Nov 23, 2015 Jennifer rated it liked it
Chris Bacon discovers the fountain of youth in a tropical plant but fears it will fall into the wrong hands. He sees the potential to cure diseases, like Alzheimer's that affects his father, but fears the drug will go only to the rich and powerful. His family goes in to hiding to keep the secret and all is well until he runs into an old friend and is recognized. Soon his family is running for their lives as his ex-employer has made him out to be a thief and terrorist as well as a murderer. I lik ...more
Kristen
Oct 06, 2014 Kristen rated it really liked it
In Gary Braver's Elixir, he took us on a journey to Papua New Guinea and back home to the USA. When biologist Chris Bacon headed to the forests of Papua New Guinea for medicinal plants, he had no idea on what he would find and take home from him. A rare flower that's rumored by a tribal shaman to prevent human aging. Hooked on his fountain-of-youth fantasies, he planned to tamper with the plant to make an elixir. Unknowingly as he messed around with nature, it leashed dangerous forces to threate ...more
Lisa James
Mar 16, 2011 Lisa James rated it really liked it
Michael Crichton meets Robin Cook in this medical mystery/thriller about the elusive Fountain of Youth formula! This book hooks you from the first description of Christopher Bacon going through the jungles of Papua,New Guinea with his old school friend turned shaman, Iwati, & keeps you turning pages to the surprising twist at the end, which I won't disclose! I promise, you will NOT be disappointed!
Gertie
Jan 09, 2009 Gertie rated it really liked it
Upon reading the premise of the book (man discovers an immortality drug in a rare orchid) I was concerned it would be your typical "man finds fountain of youth, tries to evade bad guys, while ultimately deciding he should not choose immortality for himself, or let the rest of the world choose it either". Turns out to be more fleshed out than that, so I was pleasantly surprised.
Brandi
Aug 05, 2008 Brandi rated it really liked it
Definite page turner.... what if we could live forever? There are more reasons to think twice about it than you might realize...
Eric C.
Jul 16, 2016 Eric C. rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic high concept novel. I absolutely loved everything about this story, I don't know why there isn't more attention paid to this author b/c this is a super fun read and a page turner!
Karissa
Aug 06, 2010 Karissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book. Very smart and captivating.
Patty Abrams
Nov 26, 2010 Patty Abrams rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
A chemical company is developing the "fountain of youth" drug, but should they?
Tymothy
Mar 26, 2013 Tymothy rated it really liked it
This was an excellent updated take on the 'Picture of Dorian Gray' that I thoroughly enjoyed.
Gwen
Mar 08, 2009 Gwen rated it it was amazing
Fountain of youth?
Marci
Dec 03, 2008 Marci rated it it was ok
OK book, although I didn't enjoy some of the swear words used throughout.
Aphrael
Jan 14, 2017 Aphrael rated it liked it
fastpaced stuff written well doe the genre. not very special though, and the characters weer a bit dogmatic in their beliefs. Also to me the effects of elixir didn't seem biologically consistent, not sure if it's scientifically plausible as a what if.
Pam Jones
Apr 14, 2011 Pam Jones rated it liked it
It was a good book. The plot is not new, but the story has enough fresh takes to it to be good reading. A few sections seem to be abruptly introduced enough to make you page back a few to make sure you didn't sleep through a few pages. It gets a bit preachy in a few places and sometimes the conclusions the characters mutually seem to accept are not well supported. But, it was good and I do not regret the time it took to read it or that I had to revert back to printed book (my Nook was lonely).
Limopilot
Jun 15, 2011 Limopilot rated it liked it
My wife got a signed copy of this a few years ago while she was with a friend in the hospital. She never did read it, so I picked it off the shelf and am giving it a try.
Only about 2 dozen pages in and just Ok to this point, but I have high hopes for it.

Now that it is done, I think that a sequel has to be in the works, there are just enough loose ends that it is possible to continue without the second feeling too contrived. . . .

Otherwise a decent book.
Laura Ruetz
Oct 13, 2015 Laura Ruetz rated it liked it
While I liked the idea of the novel, parts of the novel seemed so forced, it didn't flow smoothly. Great idea but could have been executed in a better way. Won't give away spoilers, but the ending was terrible, totaly unnecessary "plot twist" thrown in which just made the storyline way more complicated than it needed to be and it added zero to the base story
Landon
Jul 29, 2011 Landon rated it liked it
A flower in the Papua New Guinean rainforest can stop the aging process.

Not enough jungle scenes, but all in all it was a fun read. There are a few hiccups on the science, not incorrect, but poor word choice. The story is compelling, there are some really good twists, and the ending is (in my estimation) pretty satisfying.
Rebecca Dean
Aug 18, 2009 Rebecca Dean rated it it was ok
I only keep the books that I love and I did not keep this book. It was an OK read, but the 4-letter swear words put me off and were totally uncessary. Interesting premise, however. Ok read for an airplane trip or something light to carry to the beach.
Caron
Jan 03, 2013 Caron rated it liked it
Fun! always interesting to explore concepts of eternal life/youth and the repurcussions. Did I spell repurcussions right??? oh well:)
David Mach
David Mach rated it it was amazing
Nov 14, 2012
Bruce
Bruce rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2013
Eric Hansen
Eric Hansen rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2016
Donna Backshall
Donna Backshall rated it liked it
Apr 15, 2013
Alex
Alex rated it it was ok
Mar 21, 2016
  • Early Years (Hard Luck Hank, #0.1)
  • The Thousand-Headed Man (Doc Savage, #2)
  • The Ransom of Black Stealth One (Aerospace Systems, #1)
  • Human Plus (Post-Human, #4)
  • A Private Cosmos (World of Tiers #3)
  • The Girl In The Red Hoodie (The Grimm Curse #2)
  • HeartsBlood (Praxis, #1)
  • Violation (The Mystic Saga #3)
  • A Martian Odyssey
  • The Killing Art (Kate McKinnon, #3)
  • Compulsion (Frank Clevenger, #3)
  • The Trikon Deception
  • Minutes to Burn
  • Orphan's Destiny (Jason Wander, #2)
  • Manitou Blood (Manitou, #4)
  • Beginning Operations: A Sector General Omnibus (Sector General, #1-3)
  • The Planet Savers
Gary Braver is the pen name of Gary Goshgarian, the author of six critically acclaimed suspense novels: three under his own name--Atlantis Fire, Rough Beast and The Stone Circle--and three under his pen name--Elixir, Gray Matter, and Flashback. He is also the author of four popular college writing textbooks--Exploring Language, The Contemporary Reader, Dialogues, and What Matters in America.

Gary G
More about Gary Braver...