Start by marking “"I Will Fight No More Forever": Chief Joseph and the Nez Perce War” as Want to Read:
"I Will Fight No More Forever": Chief Joseph and the Nez Perce War

"I Will Fight No More Forever": Chief Joseph and the Nez Perce War

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  217 ratings  ·  19 reviews
In this superb summation of the ethnohistory of the Nez Perce tribe containing also careful analyses of the military campaigns and political events and a wholly balanced review of facts, opinions, and previous evaluations of the situation and circumstances within have colored the evidence, we have what seems to be the last word...
Published June 28th 2000 by University of Washington Press (first published January 1st 1963)

To ask other readers questions about "I Will Fight No More Forever", please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about "I Will Fight No More Forever"

Shannon
I attended grade school on an Indian reservation and this story was shown in movie form every year during Indian week. I have always loved this book. Here is a quote, from Chief Joseph,to depict how the book got it's title:

"Tell General Howard I know his heart. What he told me before, I have it in my heart. I am tired of fighting. Our chiefs are killed; Looking Glass is dead, Too-hul-hul-sote is dead. The old men are all dead. It is the young men who say yes or no. He who led on the young men is
Karen
Read this over 30 years ago when I was reading everything I could get my hands on about the American Indians and our government's wars to exterminate them.

Heartbreaking. Right up there with Bury My Heart in Wounded Knee.
Max
I can't believe this is still such a popular book on the subject. The author's perspective on Native Americans is painfully condescending and eurocentric. I ditched the book pretty quickly after the first few chapters repeatedly referred to the native populations as "heathens" or "uncivilized" and described how missionaries were "bringing civilization" to them. No, dude. They had a civilization. We destroyed it. Beal relies exclusively on white sources as far as I can tell, and made no effort to ...more
John Johnson
I was raised in Idaho so I am familiar with the territory in which this story took place and with the history of Chief Joseph. The following heart wrenching quote by Chief Joseph is one of the finest speeches that have been uttered on our continent, in my estimation.

Linda
My heart breaks for Joseph and the Nez Perce. "When will the white man stop lying?" A simple question, really, but I fear the answer is never. This should be essential reading for everyone. The first 2/3 plods through the history and battles and movements and migrations and Indians and generals, but any dryness is more than made up for by the emotional final third and the fact that every child in the U.S. should grow up knowing this story although few do. I was inspired to read this by my grandf ...more
Troy G
When I was a child, one of the things I enjoyed most was when my father read to me. I will fight no more forever was one of the most memorable books that he read to me. So memorable that I returned to it once I reached adulthood.

The story is compelling, marking a chapter in American history that hasn't been given its due. I was enthralled by the history, but the story, and the characters were not as compelling. They werarchetypeses that existed to express the history.

I expect that I will read t
Reddy Katz
in the end i decided not to read it, i began but it didnt appeal to me in any form
Janet
This is a book for my youthful Classical Summer Book Club. A very dry read, written years ago with historical documents, accounts of battles, and lists of the living and the dead. Well, all of them are dead now actually. Yet it is important to remember and honor those who came before us. This is an example of what happens when a Nation becomes a conquered peoples.....why we must defend well America militarily against all threats.
+Chaz
Typical Indian history in the States in 1877. Peaceful Nez Perce tribe doing what was asked, of them but setting on land the whites wanted. Chief Joseph, a peace loving man was forced to teach the US Army how to fight using delaying tactics that are still taught. It was bloody and the last historic war of the American Indians and a noble Chief. If you’re interested in American Indians, this must be read.
Nick
While rafting and then visiting friends in north central Idaho, I finally read this history of the Nez Perce war. This excellent history describes the confluence of conflicting needs and desires which led to a war no one wanted that killed hundreds. I was most struck by the Nez Perce efforts to avoid doing violence even to white settlers as they fled their homeland for safe haven.
john
An excellent and in-depth account of the story of Chief Joseph and the Nez Perce fighting the US Army during the settlement of the West. Goes into the stories of not just the Nez Perce, but also the other tribes involved in the rebellion, and the misunderstandings and mistakes on both sides that led to the bloodshed.

Dry at times, but thorough and impartial.
Nigel Williamson
Heartbreaking, horrifying, a true testament to man's ability to inflict inhumanity on his fellow man; After reading this I was left with a hollow feeling in the pit of my stomach and a sense of loss I still feel today after all those years. This book haunts me, and it should; some things should never be forgotten.
Fredrick Danysh
When the Nez Perce Indians rebelled against the United States government, they tried to escape to Canada while being chased by three separate US armies. This is the story of their over 3,000 mile trek through the areas of the Pacific Northwest.
Tamra
Good book, almost text book-like but a fair representation of weaknesses and strengths of both sides of the Nez Perce War. I came away with a liking for Chief Joseph and a sadness for all involved.
Kurt
Probably the best book to be found specifically on the Nez Perce War of 1877 for those who don't want to be overwhelmed with military and background detail. Fantastic!
Ciara
Another one I think should be required reading. No fancy heroics, no idolization of white folk, just the sad truth of the story. I hope it makes you cry.
Toby White
I thought this was a very well written and informative report on the Nes Perce War! Well worth a read if you're into your history.
Valerie
Jan 29, 2009 Valerie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Valerie by: Dad
Again, stolen from my Dad. I wonder if he has any books left?
Daniel
Read it a couple of times
Hannah Braunstein
Hannah Braunstein marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Michael O'Toole
Michael O'Toole marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Jennifer Vantine
Jennifer Vantine marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Lynn
Lynn marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
  • Crazy Horse: The Strange Man of the Oglalas
  • Chief Joseph & the Flight of the Nez Perce: The Untold Story of an American Tragedy
  • The Last Indian War: The Nez Perce Story
  • Once They Moved Like The Wind: Cochise, Geronimo, And The Apache Wars
  • Native American Testimony: A Chronicle of Indian-White Relations from Prophecy to the Present
  • Comanches: The Destruction of a People
  • Stolen Continents: 500 Years of Conquest and Resistance in the Americas
  • 500 Nations: An Illustrated History of North American Indians
  • The Lance and the Shield: The Life and Times of Sitting Bull
  • The Journey of Crazy Horse: A Lakota History
  • The Conquerors (Winning of America Series)
  • The Comanche Empire
  • The Last Great Revolution: Turmoil and Transformation in Iran
  • Crazy Horse and Custer: The Parallel Lives of Two American Warriors
  • Arms & Armor
  • Ishi in Two Worlds: A Biography of the Last Wild Indian in North America
  • The Killing of Crazy Horse
  • Trail of Tears: The Rise and Fall of the Cherokee Nation
Grand Canyon The Story of Man in Yellowstone (Yellowstone Interpretive Series, #7) Henry Allen Beal and George Washington Bean: Pioneers on the Utah Frontier Intermountain Railroads: Standard and Narrow Gauge Grand Canyon