Start by marking “The Girl on the Swing” as Want to Read:
The Girl on the Swing

The Girl on the Swing

Julia believes she has lived before.
Suspended from her job and grieving for her lost son, Julia's past lives become an escape from her troubles in the present. For the first time, she meets someone in this life whom she recognises from a previous existence. But this man is a murderer, convicted of killing his wife. As Julia seeks to find out more, past and present entwine,
Published April 23rd 2010 by Standing Stone Press (first published February 8th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Girl on the Swing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girl on the Swing

Yas
I'll start off by being honest. Before now, when I think of the words "self published" or "independent" in regard to authors, I think talentless people who can't get a book deal through the proper and traditional way, namely, a publishing house. Actually that was an extremely prejudiced and very wrong view.

I picked this book up after just getting my kindle, I wanted something reasonable but that also sounded like something I would enjoy. The girl on the swing was that book. So I bought it. Wha
Justine M  Dunn
Nov 20, 2012 Justine M Dunn rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable this book - even stayed up late to finish it last night. I thought it was beautifully written and had a really interesting plot line, not at all spooky despite its past lives theme. I did find that the descriptions and details were a little drawn out at times, otherwise I would have given it 5*. Would definitely recommend.
Tina roy
Dec 16, 2016 Tina roy rated it it was amazing
Great book!

Normally, I don't like overly descriptive passages, but in this case it worked. Really enjoyed this one even though the subject matter is not something in which I believe.
J.A. Clement
Jun 15, 2011 J.A. Clement rated it really liked it
Shelves: indie-authors
I downloaded the sample of this book after seeing Ali on the forums, where several of the others had praised it greatly. I dithered a bit because it really didn't sound like my sort of thing, but downloaded the sample out of curiosity and by two paragraphs in had bought the book.

The first thing I noticed about "Girl on a Swing" is the intricate, almost poetic use of words (this was what sold me on it). If you want a taste of the writing style, definitely have a look at the sample but bear in min
Sharon Tillotson
Dec 06, 2011 Sharon Tillotson rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
Though this book insinuated itself onto my Kindle – nudging aside a couple of others ahead of it on my to-be-read pile - at a very busy time, it engaged me from the beginning and I could barely put it down.

Largely narrative and written in first person present tense, the writing was beautiful, the settings well rendered and the protagonist believable and real.

While there is an underlying theme of reincarnation in the book, it is rather a story of one woman’s struggle to find meaning in life aga
Kate
Dec 20, 2013 Kate rated it it was amazing
Julia Spencer is enchanted by a child on a swing through a knothole in a fence. In spite of it being winter, the garden Julia sees is in the full bloom of summer. Julia has been on sick leave from her work as a surgeon after the death of her son and is due to return to work at the hospital where her husband, Richard, is also a surgeon. But things don’t go as Julia plans. Just before Julia is due to return to work there is a complaint against her by a grief-stricken patient and she is advised to ...more
Val
May 10, 2015 Val rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is a lot happening in Julia's life, too much for one woman's lifetime, so it just as well she has lived before.

Ali Cooper interweaves all the different strands of her story with Julia's thoughts and the whole makes a rich tapestry.
Her son is dead, her husband is distant and unsupportive, her best friend thinks she is cracking-up, she is caught in a class-divide. Add to that a pending prosecution for medical negligence, a convicted murderer who may also have killed Julia in a previous life
Pauline Ross
I actually bought this book by accident - I downloaded the sample to my Kindle, and in the process of filing it away in one of my collections I clicked the 'Buy now' button by mistake. But luckily I found it an enjoyable read.

This is not at all my usual type of book, but the premise of a woman experiencing flashes of a previous life was intriguing. It is well written and easy to read, although the choice of first person present tense is an unusual one, which grated occasionally. It would have se
Madeline Meixner
Sep 28, 2013 Madeline Meixner rated it it was amazing
The Girl on the Swing was an unexpected and pleasant surprise for me! My favorite books are English mysteries and I only read this novel because a client recommended it so highly that I was compelled. As soon as I finished it, I wrote my client a thank-you note!

The writing is superb and, although I was quite busy at the time, I kept finding excuses to take a break from my work to dip back into the story. The plot moves along quickly and the little twists along the way are brilliantly crafted. Th
Aunty Janet
Sep 06, 2011 Aunty Janet rated it really liked it
I found this book absorbing and enjoyed the story. The past life regression worked well in my opinion; the central theme without being too 'new agey'. The author builds tension beautifully.
''Julia believes she has lived before.
Kitty
Jun 06, 2010 Kitty rated it liked it
Shelves: square-pegs
I sort of had a "love/hate" relationship with this book. Parts of it I really enjoyed, and other parts really bothered me. The main character believes she has lived before, and occasionally gets small bits of memories from these past lives. That part of the story was fascinating to me. However, her life in the "here and now" is pretty messed up - and that part bothered me, from time to time. On the whole, this isn't an overly happy book. It's not meant to be, but in general, I prefer happy stori ...more
Tracey
Jul 06, 2010 Tracey rated it liked it
This started off a bit slow for me and I was truly ready to put it aside. Then suddenly the story line picked up and got interesting and I found myself powering through the rest of the book, but then it ended rather abruptly.

I gave it 3 stars instead of 4 stars purely because of the slow beginning and abrupt ending.

When I turned the last page I found myself feeling a bit let down as you really don't find out about The Girl on the Swing. Although this may be an interpretation thing.

I wouldn't not
Pamela
Jun 22, 2011 Pamela rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
I bought this book through a Kindle sale, and my experience with low-priced or free kindle books have not been that great. But I was pleasantly surprised by this one. The pace is slow and relaxed, especially in the first half, but while this may put off some, I found it a perfect choice for my first week of summer. Towards the end, there was an incident that I felt was not really in keeping with what the book had set up, but all in all, it was a good read. The writing was poetic with lovely desc ...more
Amy
Oct 06, 2010 Amy rated it really liked it
This was an inexpensive ($2) Kindle book and I definitely got more than $2 worth of enjoyment in reading it. While I didn't LOVE it, I found it an interesting and entertaining read. Apparently, this book is independently published, which helps explain why it was so cheap. It also means they have no marketing machine behind the author. It's about a couple of English surgeons whose son overdosed and died recently. It's mostly focused on the woman and her belief that she has had past lives. It's go ...more
Debra Slonek
Oct 28, 2013 Debra Slonek rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013-reads
A well written book that caught my interest and attention, right from the start. It tells the story of Julia and Richard, successful surgeons who are married to each other. They endured the tragedy of losing their only child. Coming from extremely different backgrounds, each dealt with their grief separately and in unique ways. Hurting slowly changed into healing. Secrets were uncovered and truth was revealed. Very satisfying read!
Lynne (Tigger's Mum)
Sep 30, 2011 Lynne (Tigger's Mum) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
A really good novel, good characters, the atmosphere particularly well described and their surroundings. Apart from a tiny niggle that Julia should have had some input from a medical insurance lawyer which is usual in such circumstances the strands of the story were pulled together beautifully and made a compelling read.
Martin
Sep 19, 2011 Martin rated it it was amazing
Ali is an independent writer and publisher and this was her first novel. I thoroughly enjoyed it and found it difficult to put down, although it wasn't the normal type of book I would read, a mixture of past livesand living in the present.
I enjoyed it so much that I immediately bought her second book Cave which is equally as good but very different in style
Rowland Harden
Aug 25, 2011 Rowland Harden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
A highly enjoyable, thought provoking and well written debut. Easily the best self published/independent novel (when first released) I have read on the Kindle. I will look forward to reading more from this talented new author.
Kavita Nalawde
Feb 27, 2011 Kavita Nalawde rated it liked it
I saw this book mentioned on Amazon forums and decided to read it. The story has a charm and everything falls into place perfectly at the end. It shows that the journey of life continues for a longer time than one would imagine.
Helenb
Feb 10, 2012 Helenb added it
Again read many, many years ago as a teenager - must read again as a fortysomething because the delight (not the most appropriate word) of reading it has remained with me.
Mo
Mo rated it it was ok
Sep 26, 2011
Janet Jones
Janet Jones rated it liked it
Jul 19, 2011
Mahamed Amiin
Mahamed Amiin rated it it was amazing
Dec 21, 2015
Laura rated it liked it
Aug 04, 2012
Sue Merrick
Sue Merrick rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2015
Kmcg101
Kmcg101 rated it liked it
Jul 31, 2012
Deaidra Coleman
Deaidra Coleman rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2015
Kat Westlund
Kat Westlund rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2015
Sylvia Harmon
Sylvia Harmon rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2015
patty green
patty green rated it did not like it
Sep 26, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
ROBUST: Review of The Girl on the Swing by Ali Cooper 3 8 Dec 08, 2011 02:10PM
  • Replica
  • The Riddle at Gipsy's Mile (Angela Marchmont Mystery #4)
  • Sugar & Spice
  • Sword of the Falcon (The Falcons Saga, #2)
  • Seventh Night
  • Riptide (The Forgotten Coast, #2)
  • The Conspiracy (Theft and Sorcery, #2)
  • Mengliad (The Mengliad Series, #1)
  • Watersmeet (Twelve Baronies #1)
  • Lokant (Draykon, #2)
  • The Telastrian Song (Society of the Sword, #3)
  • Kiss Me If You Dare (Patricia Amble, #3)
  • Forest Gate: A Novel
  • William Walker's First Year Of Marriage: A Horror Story
  • Seeing Red (Ambassador #1)
I live in Devon, where I write books and songs, and teach guitar.

My formal qualifications are in psychology and archaeology and these topics tend to crop up in my books.
More about Ali Cooper...