Start by marking “The Pickle King” as Want to Read:
The Pickle King

The Pickle King

With her eerie debut novel, screenwriter Rebecca Promitzer delivers a spicy mystery sure to keep listeners up at night. During one particularly boring summer in the boring town of Elbow, Bea and her friend Sam stumble upon a local celebrity, Herman the Pickle King, murdered and missing an eyeball. Now Bea and Sam are on a mission to find out who could have committed such a

Audiobook
Published 2010 by Recorded Books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Pickle King, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pickle King

Diane Ferbrache
Feb 04, 2010 Diane Ferbrache rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: washyarg
It rains all the time in Elbow and every summer most of the residents flee to warmer, drier climates. The kids left behind are expected to hang out together, so it’s not unusual to find 12 yr. olds Bea, Sam, Butterfly, and Madison spending time together even though they would normally not even speak during the school year. This summer, though, finds them up to their elbows (LOL) in a mystery involving a dead guy, a missing eyeball, a bag full of guts and the mysterious disappearance of Herman, ...more
Pudding
Mar 20, 2014 Pudding rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would definitely recommend this book for anyone who wants to be grossed out! I loved this book because of the mystery and intrigue that makes you want to read on. I never wanted to put it down and I could have read it all day and I was gutted when I had finally finished it. My favourite character was Bea (the main character/narrator) as she was the one that I related to most even though my mum isn't in a mental institution and my dad isn't dead! So if you see this book BUY IT AND YOU WON'T REG ...more
Eilonwy
Bea Klednik, 11 (almost 12), is one of a handful of kids who are stuck spending the summer in the town of Elbow, where it rains for three months straight every year and most sensible people leave for the entire season. The local middle school tries to force the summer kids to hang out together by sending out a list with everyone's name and phone number on it, but usually Bea and her best friend Sam have ignored this and just hung out with each other. This year, Sam takes Bea to see a dead body h
Amber Griesmer
Initially, the title and front cover of this book is what attracted me to it and then when I read the inside cover and found out the story was about the murder of a local prominant buisness man I I knew it was the book for me.

I was excited to start a good YA murder mystery, but I found the actual mystery to be kind of weak. It wasn't that the plot wasn't well thought out or that the writing was poor, but what first attracted me to the book didn't have that much to do with the story. I thought th
Ingrid Fasquelle
Qui a tué Herman Henderson ? est un thriller fantastique haletant, proche du récit d'horreur, à réserver aux lecteurs avancés à partir de 11 ou 12 ans.

Cadavre énucléé, meurtres, disparitions inquiétantes, mutilations, l'auteure ne lésine pas sur les détails sordides et effrayants mais c'est l'ambiance, lugubre à souhait, qui constitue véritablement le point fort de son roman.

"Elbow est une très vieille ville, pleine de vieilles histoires; pour comprendre, il faut remonter aux sources, là où tout
Tweller83
Only OK. I will add to my collection but probably wouldn't buy it for a collection. It sometimes feels young and then other times feels too old for the protagonists. The adults don't seem smart enough to have pulled off what they have pulled off.

"The town of Elbow is known for two things—unceasing summer rain and Herman's Pickles. Bea, 11, is a camera whiz, so when her friend Sam discovers a dead body in an abandoned house, he wants her to document the scene. She photographs the twisted, waterlo
Jackie
The Pickle King is an odd, befuddling book about five friends (plus one loyal dog and infuriating little brother) who spend their summers in the never-ending rainfall in the town of Elbow. The school they attend requires them to spend the summer together (why...we really aren't sure, at least there isn't a good reason) if they have the misfortune of hanging around the dumpy, depressing town during the school vacation. Bea and Sam begrudgingly meet up with Eric, Butterfly, and Madison and try to ...more
IndyPL Kids Book Blog
Podunk, rain-soaked Elbow, home of Herman’s Devil Tongue Relish, is not the place to be stuck for a whole summer. The Devil Tongue Relish comes in three strengths: Easy Does It, Turning Up the Heat, and Burning Down the House. What goes on in Elbow comes in three strengths: boring, more boring & even more boring.

The kids stuck in Elbow for the summer call themselves the Raintown Convicts - they have no escape from the town, the boredom, or each other…until the morning Sam knocks on Bea’s doo
Max B
Mar 29, 2010 Max B rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bea and her friends stumble around the rainy city and find an underground garbage city!

Bea is riding her bike through the rainy city of Elbow with her friends also known as "The Rain Town Convicts." She falls into a muddy puddle and rolls away. She wakes up to the comfort of a warm and cozy house with a funky smell. The man comforts her and tells her where she is and what happened. She finds out she is in an garbage city. As the man prepares some garbage stew, she snoops around the house. The m
Kelly Butcher
Jul 12, 2010 Kelly Butcher rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really wanted to like this book! I made it over half way through and I just couldn't take it any more. I had to go online and read other reviews to see how this book ends. Life is too short (and so is summer vacation) to read books that you don't love.

The good points:
1. It is a mystery/horror story written for upper elementary kids.
2. The main character is a strong girl.
3. The author set up the setting very well (too well- it made me yawn!) Promitzer usually writes for film, so may be she is
Claire
So far a wacky buddy story. The children left in Elbow during the truly dreary rainy season- almost the entire town leaves, it is so bad- must form a support group and report on their activities when school starts up again (when the weather improves). This year there are fishy goings on and the main characters find a body....maybe they won't be reporting exactly what happens over the summer come September.

Star ratings are all over the map from fantastic 5 to 1

I saw that this title is recommended
Sueli
Oct 10, 2014 Sueli rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You'll Fall In Love With This Book! My Son and I did :-)

What can I say about the book that made my son enjoy reading? Ok, I confess I initially bought the book for myself, not for my son, but the cover was just so beautiful I had to have it! I can still remember the first time I saw it on the shelf.
My son was a not a reader, but he sat next to me in the train and we started reading it together. Before page ten he was already hooked! He asked me if he could read it first. He has read it twice, s
Linnae
Sep 18, 2014 Linnae rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile
The town of Elbow is known for its rainy summers. Daily rain. Constant rain. The kind of rain that makes moldy toes seem normal. That's why everyone who can leaves for the summer. Bea has nowhere to go, but she dreams of sunny Florida. Then her summer takes a turn for the creepy, when she and her best friend Sam find a dead body in the flooded basement of an old house--a body missing one of its eyeballs.

Soon they are on the trail of the mystery, along with a few other kids from school who are al
Teresa Garrett
The premise of the book grabbed me but the book failed to deliver. The mystery had too many layers to hold my attention I actually put it down and read another book before finishing. Bea and her friend Sam find the Pickle King dead and enlist their friends to try and solve the mysterious circumstances including an odd shaped ring, a bag of intestines, a missing eyeball, sinister characters around every corner, weird garbage dump dwellers and when it can't get any stranger a Frankenstein like cha ...more
Zachary.s
Jan 24, 2012 Zachary.s rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i thought that this book was a wierd but satisfying to read. I thought that it was staiafying because they talked about a girl that lives near a pickle factory called hemans pickle factory and is known for the best relish ever. While she was in this town with her garandma she has been seeing some weird things that she has never ever seen in this tiny pickle town before. while reading this book i wa sthinking that it was going to be a terrifying book just becaause of the cover but lie they say ne ...more
Charlie Lud
Oct 24, 2012 Charlie Lud rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is fucking amazing

I get aroused when I read in Business Studies Lessons the characters sound smexy. Its a bit awkward though cause i usually only read it in these lessons, and I kind of get an erection in my panties. This one time i left my fly undone and it oped out infrount of my english teacher then the worst happend a white dart flew out and hit her in the face. Every time i read this book i happens and i dont know why
Heather
Jan 21, 2011 Heather rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2011, audiobooks
I was so glad to finally finish this book. It was way too long, gross, ridiculous, and completely unbelievable. Besides (and also because of) these fatal flaws, I don't know that it has much of an audience. It seems intended to be a children's book, but the 13-year-old smoker, the out of place profanity, the abuse, the body parts showing up in strange places, etc. will probably not appeal to kids or their parents.
Brianna
Jul 14, 2012 Brianna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At parts it seems hard to comprehend, but you eventually get the mystery. Bea and her friends from a small town called Elbow try to figure out a mystery after Eric tells them about a man that is extremely creepy. In Elbow, it rained nonstop all summer but is sunny the rest of the year. They find a garbage city which seems even more disgusting because of all the rain. It has an awesome ending and I highly recommend this book for YA.
Victoriamelluish
I adored this spectacular book, i spotted this curious little book in waterstones and i could not put it down after that! I read it all day and all night, this book is aimed at children but it really brings you back to your childhood roots when you read it!. The humor ,gore, adventure horror in this book is structured brilliantly, the contrast of reality and non reality seems to mix together in this book. One of my all time favorites!
Wensday
Dec 23, 2011 Wensday rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hard-copy
The description is slightly misleading. I expected a light hearted read. The story is very sad at times and with the reiteration of the rain, you begin to feel it's heavy pull. The story feels more like Stephen King’s “The Body”/ “Stand by Me” movie. Once I realized what journey the book was taking me, I enjoyed the story for what it is.
RCRC
Aug 12, 2010 RCRC rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ava
Jan 14, 2015 Ava rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was not the kind of book you see and walk by but the kind of book you see, open and get sucked into! Sure gross, surprising and funny! The story prepares kids for the grosser things in life, teaches them different ethics, shows them the truth about the world and shows that friendship is easier to find then to ignore.
Liliana Venegas
Oct 09, 2011 Liliana Venegas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was creepy but awesome. Everything was so descriptive. It was practically a movie on pages. Images flashed through my mind. I could practically see the body floating in the water in the abandoned house.Two thumbs up and who ever would not want to read this specatularly detailed book is crazy.
Mar 09, 2011 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, ya-lit, 2011
I ended up liking this more than I thought I would, but I think it is a difficult book to find an audience for. The characters are 12 years old, and the book is for 12 and up. Plus it is recommended for fans of Love Curse of the Rumbaughs which is a weirdly cool read, but not many kids/ teens are into it.
Ezri Walker
Sep 22, 2010 Ezri Walker is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This book so far is great. It has a bit of horror, a pinch of mystery, and I regret every time I put it down. I don't want to spoil anything so my summary is a bit restraining but I think this is definitely a must-read. Well I have to go because I'm going to read some more right now!
Kim Smalley
May 17, 2013 Kim Smalley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting and unique. I picked this up off the shelf randomly, not knowing what is was about and turns out it was really good! Honestly I was a bit surprised. Who knew a mystery about a pickle king would be so good?
Samantha Hastings
A good mystery but very gruesome for the target age group--elementary kids. They are attacked by a scary man in their apartment. There is dead bodies and the book is abounding with body parts--borrowed or stolen.
Kimberly
I picked this up in the junior section but I really think it is a young adult level book. I was told at the library that the section it is in is based on the age of the protagonist not the content. That is how a book that deals so much with death and dismemberment can be found in the JR section.
Debbie Williamson
Apr 14, 2010 Debbie Williamson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book, it wasn't at all what I thought it would be. It was suspensful, strange and fun. I love good kid books and have been drawn to them for quiet some time. This one was worth reading and I do hope Ms. Promitzer keeps writing. Weird enough to really love it!
Pattie Babbitt
Took too long to get invested in the story, but it was ok once the mystery started. Gross book, very Frankenstein-esque. Kids might like if they make it past the first 100 pages.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Seven Keys of Balabad
  • The Snow Merchant
  • The Tender Cut: Inside the Hidden World of Self-Injury
  • Unfamiliar Magic
  • Het Levende Boek (De Kleine Odessa #1)
  • The Midnight Tunnel (Suzanna Snow, #1)
  • The Vanishing Violin (The Red Blazer Girls, #2)
  • The Shadow of Malabron (Perilous Realm, #1)
  • Fabric-by-Fabric One-Yard Wonders
  • Cheese Belongs To You
  • The Smoky Corridor (Haunted Mystery #3)
  • Do Super Heroes Have Teddy Bears?
  • The Big Splash
  • Peanut and Fifi Have a Ball
  • Consumed (Rayne, #2)
  • Superhero School
  • The Darkness Dwellers (Kiki Strike, #3)
  • Like Being Killed