Start by marking “"Sweat"” as Want to Read:
"Sweat"

"Sweat"

Now frequently anthologized, Zora Neale Hurston's short story "Sweat" was first published in Fire!!, a legendary literary magazine of the Harlem Renaissance, whose sole issue appeared in November 1926. Among contributions by Gwendolyn Bennett, Countee Cullen, Langston Hughes, and Wallace Thurman, "Sweat" stood out both for its artistic accomplishment and its exploration of ...more
Published March 1st 1997 by Rutgers University Press

To ask other readers questions about "Sweat", please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about "Sweat"

Charles Kato
Jul 05, 2010 Charles Kato rated it really liked it
Zora Neale Hurston’s “Sweat” is a distressing tale of human struggle. The story begins as a black hardworking washwoman named Delia contently and peacefully folds clothes in her quite home. Her peace doesn’t last long when her abusive husband shows up just in time to put her back in her ill-treated place. Delia has been taking this abuse for some fifteen years. She has put up with relentless beatings, adultery, even six foot long venomous snakes put in places she needs to get to. Her husband’s v ...more
T.S.
Jan 23, 2011 T.S. rated it really liked it
I was reminded of having read this last night when talking with my partner about how different populations handle mental illness. He is black, and I'm white, but we mutually concluded both races are equally crazy, it's just that white folks seem to embrace theirs so much so that the media doesn't really report on it. Of course, there are a myriad of reasons for this. Then again, it was only our little theory, and we could be wrong, but it did lead us to this revelation...

I told him that it was m
Britney
Nov 03, 2016 Britney rated it it was ok
I understand the whole meaning of the story and it overall has a good message. Unfortunately, the use of the typical trope "karma always comes back" made the story predictable and unlikable. Not to mention the fact that she didn't exact the revenge herself. So what's the point?
Pamela
Nov 13, 2013 Pamela rated it it was amazing
I discovered Hurston only recently. Yes, I'd heard of her for years, ever since writer Alice Walker worked hard to bring Hurston's wonderful work back into print, and her most famous work, the novel Their Eyes Were Watching God, became required reading in many a high school English class.

But I'd never actually read any of her work, nor learned much about her. I don't know which is the more interesting--her life story, or this short story, Sweat. Both are remarkable, well worth the time of anyone
Julie
Sep 26, 2014 Julie rated it really liked it
Read for Literary Interpretation Class

This one was probably 3 1/2 stars but I rounded down on my last 3 1/2 star story so I will round up on this one. It was very easy to go inside of Delia's pain here and to feel what she was suffering. Very well drawn characters and plot for such a short piece. I had to write a whole paper on why it was titled Sweat. Do you want to hear that? Nope, didn't think so but it was a good story to study.
Anita Fajita Pita
Nov 21, 2015 Anita Fajita Pita rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A short story into the world of a woman's strength; I think of it as a view into a world through Ms. ZNH's clear eyes. A world in which a black woman works hard for her home and invests her future with everything she's got; namely sweat.

This short story is how I first met Zora Neale Hurston, and I've loved her ever since.
Kristopher
May 17, 2007 Kristopher rated it it was amazing
Shelves: collections
An excellent collection, centered around "Sweat" and "Gilded Six-bits" with some essential criticism included. Check it out from the library and read these stories. They're two of Hurston's finest and provide a curious balance together.
Neetu
Jan 17, 2016 Neetu rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
3.5 maybe a 4 idk...
I'll probably end up hating it, cause my professor is gonna make us analyze it to no end
Rachel Wagner
Apr 29, 2016 Rachel Wagner rated it liked it
I actually read this in February 2016 but it's a short story within my LIT book that I counted as read already :)
Monique
Sep 16, 2015 Monique rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-school
I only read this because it was a requirement for my graduate "Topics in American Literature" course.
Janee
Oct 15, 2014 Janee rated it it was amazing
This story changed my life. I love the theme of endurance and confidence in this book. I would recommend it to anybody!
Sofia
2.5. I really enjoyed this short story, however I do think it is quite difficult to read dialect in text. Think I would have liked this more as an audiobook.
Jenn Chick
Jan 27, 2014 Jenn Chick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Inspiring, funny and I loved the voice. The irony and triumph are expected, but it doesn't make them less enjoyable.
Tamela
Jun 04, 2009 Tamela rated it it was amazing
I LOVE Zora Neale Hurston. I fell in love with her work begining in my first American Lit class. She is a wonderful much underappreciated author who was a genius before her time.
Taybah
Taybah rated it really liked it
May 13, 2011
Kimberlee
Kimberlee rated it liked it
Oct 12, 2008
Somer Schaffer
Somer Schaffer rated it liked it
Mar 07, 2016
Ariana
Ariana rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2012
Amy Conrad
Amy Conrad rated it it was amazing
Nov 05, 2016
Emmary Sánchez
Emmary Sánchez rated it it was amazing
Apr 12, 2014
Cindy
Cindy rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2015
Tiffany Bennett-Miller
Tiffany Bennett-Miller rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2016
Jaculin
Jaculin rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2007
Destiny
Destiny rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2014
Zohra Abdoune
Zohra Abdoune rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2013
Eboni Walker
Eboni Walker rated it liked it
Aug 04, 2015
Ren Denton
Ren Denton rated it it was amazing
Dec 12, 2012
dlpoetx
dlpoetx rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2007
Corinne
Corinne rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2010
Eduarda Carsalade
Eduarda Carsalade rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2015
  • Harlem Renaissance
  • Northrop Frye on Shakespeare
  • A Change Is Gonna Come: Music, Race & the Soul of America
  • El espejo enterrado
  • A Literature of Their Own: British Women Novelists From Brontë to Lessing
  • Collected Novellas
  • All Men are Mortal
  • Storming the Reality Studio: A Casebook of Cyberpunk & Postmodern Science Fiction
  • A Rose for Emily
  • The First Forty-Nine Stories
  • Desiree's Baby
  • Happy Birthday, Jack Nicholson
  • The Jolly Corner
Zora Neale Hurston was an American folklorist and author. In 1925, shortly before entering Barnard College, Hurston became one of the leaders of the literary renaissance happening in Harlem, producing the short-lived literary magazine Fire!! along with Langston Hughes and Wallace Thurman. This literary movement became the center of the Harlem Renaissance.

Hurston applied her Barnard ethnographic tr
More about Zora Neale Hurston...

“Finally, she grew quiet. After that, coherent thought. With this, stalked through her a cold, bloody rage; Hours of this; a period of introspection; a space of retrospection; then a mixture of both. Out of this, an awful calm.” 13 likes