Start by marking “The Werewolf Book: The Encyclopedia Of Shape-Shifting Beings” as Want to Read:
The Werewolf Book: The Encyclopedia Of Shape-Shifting Beings

The Werewolf Book: The Encyclopedia Of Shape-Shifting Beings

With 250 entries,this filmography andresource is the encyclopedic guide to all things lycanthropic and a fascinating compendium of comparative mythology and folklore. Delving into the 15th century to uncover the origins of the werewolf legend,itis an eye-opening, blood-pounding tour through the ages, landing on the doorstep of creatures like hirsute mass-murderer Charles M ...more
Published August 1st 1999 by Visible Ink Press (first published January 28th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Werewolf Book, please sign up.

Elegale What do you mean?? You can't read it here...

Elizabeth
Jul 30, 2012 Elizabeth rated it it was ok
Unfortunately, Steiger's references are questionable at best in this book. Most of the entries cite his own works and some even cite "The National Enquirer", of all things. Oh, and he also manages to refer to every serial killer and even Bigfoot as a werewolf-like.

For those looking for a properly researched book on werewolves in folklore and history, you'll definitely want to look elsewhere. This is all hearsay, pop culture, and the author's own opinions.
Andre
To say that this book was strange and weird would be the understatement of the year (despite that it was only March when I finished it).
Although the author left out some of the ridiculous examples of the first edition (like gargoyles) I still wonder why he included some entries and ignored other topics altogether. And what do many of them have to do with werewolves anyway or even lycanthropes? By what modus oparandi did he choose them?
Many of his inclusions of serial killers and rapists only ma
Monster
Aug 30, 2010 Monster rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
If you want to expand your interest in werewolves and other shape shifters beyond fiction, to the realms of history, science and the occult, start with this book. Not only does The Werewolf Book have entries on all manner of shape shifting beings from myth, and accounts of supposed real life were-critters, it also encompasses the books and movies that influenced the image of shape shifting and werewolves throughout history and made it what it was today.
Nothing is treated as trivial. Even the eff
Michele Lee
If you want to take your study of werewolves and other shape shifters out of fiction and into the realms of history, science and the occult this is the books to start with. Not only does The Werewolf Book have entries on all manner of shape shifting beings from myth, and accounts of supposed real life were-critters, it also encompasses the books and movies that influenced the image of shape shifting and werewolves throughout history and made it what it was today.
Nothing is treated as trivial,
Eva Schatz
Aug 21, 2016 Eva Schatz rated it it was ok
Shelves: mythology
Disclaimer that I am not so much finished as in I read all the pages, but finished as in I'm upset and can read no further. How could I, when only two paragraphs are dedicated to Anubis, while over double that is given to a nameless girl in Fremont, California, who believes that all people have an animal spirit inside and that hers was "unlocked" when a mountain lion bit her - even though she's supposedly a werewolf, albeit one who can't transform, not a werelion. Anything with the word "encyclo ...more
Tracie
May 10, 2013 Tracie rated it it was ok
Shelves: reference
Another disappointment. Another mistitled book. Far more pages devoted to serial killers than werewolves. Granted some of the killers claimed to be werewolves and I am ok with their inclusion but most did not. Page fillers. Also numerous articles on vampires and zombies. Not their relationship to the title beast but stand alone articles. This books saving graces are that the information is correct (or as correct as it can be) and actual sources are cited. Not a rigorous academic citation but it ...more
Willow
Apr 27, 2011 Willow rated it really liked it
Shelves: werewolf
This book is if anything, very entertaining. I think some of the stuff in here is a questionable, but I wasn't looking for a book with hard core facts. There is a lot of werewolf lore, werewolf folktales, movie summaries, tidbits about cannibalism, serial killers, witch hunters, vampires, succubae, and the Malleus Maleficarum. It’s definitely a mix bag. I wanted to get some interesting tidbits on werewolves and I definitely got some from this book.
Comicfairy (Leanne)
Jan 10, 2011 Comicfairy (Leanne) rated it really liked it
Been studying shape-shifting beings for years as research for a series of books I am writing and rarely do I come across a compendium this helpful. This book was recommended to me awhile back as one of the best werewolf (and shape-shifter) books out there and it didn't dissapoint. Easy to read, very comprehensive, with every chapter featuring a letter. Many of the entries were very movie/tv-laden though, which was my only real beef with the title.
Paige
Jun 19, 2012 Paige rated it liked it
Okay so here's the thing. It covers all these werewolf legends including movies. It's not an earth shattering book but it does open you up to your own theories. It's basically just tells you all the stories and legends about werecreatures. It has a feeling like a research paper though. I have a feeling many of the entries where part of some college paper.
Kirsi
Feb 14, 2015 Kirsi rated it it was ok
Steiger is all too interested in what this and that sex pervert made behind this and that bush than werewolves. Too much serial killers and other sadists who have zero werewolf connection, while sprinkling his voyeuristic sleaze with misuse of "psychotic" as synonym to "depraved". Wikipedia has good article about psychosis, Brad. And stop blaming wolves for all the HUMAN violence.
Samantha Bulldog
Jul 07, 2009 Samantha Bulldog rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book will make you wonder what goes through some people's minds when they do the weirdest things. This book will also bring up the question of just how sane you are for reading it. It has everything from Jeffery Dauhmer to snakewomen and everything imbetween. If you ever wanted to know if some one is more insane that you just read this book.
Cara
An interesting collection of information about werewolves and other shape-shifters, including even vampires and witches since they lore used to be closely intertwined.
I wish there had been less emphasis on some of the movies, but all and all, it was a good, quick read.
Jordan
Sep 17, 2007 Jordan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who love preternatural subjects
I like to skim through this book whenever reading books with shapeshifters as characters and around Halloween. It's extremely interesting and entertaining. I love supernaural subjects and would suggest that anyone else who is to pick up this book.
Kerri Simpson
Jul 06, 2014 Kerri Simpson rated it really liked it
I think it was pretty decent. I mean if your looking for 101 facts on werewolves then good luck. Some of the origins folklore and movie books and references were pretty interesting. Definitely a good place to start for referencing fictional things for stories.
Kristine
Sep 20, 2010 Kristine rated it it was amazing
My 3 favorite things to read and write about are: werewolves / shape - shifters, vampires, and witches. I wouldn't be able to write about werewolves or shape - shifters at all without this novel.
Kathleen
Mar 31, 2014 Kathleen rated it it was amazing
i have a short review on my blog http://wolfsecho.blogspot.com/2014/03...
Lori Schiele
Jun 08, 2012 Lori Schiele rated it it was ok
This book truly is an encyclopedia. It gives lists and descriptions of movies, books and other shape-shifter items that are out and about in the world at the time the book was written.
Adalira Morningstar
I read this one back when I was maybe thirteen years old. If I'm not mistaken, it was one of the first books I ever checked out of the library.

It was a lot more impressive back then.
Ong Yan rong
Ong Yan rong rated it did not like it
Oct 16, 2013
Morgan
Morgan rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2007
Trixie
Trixie rated it it was ok
Oct 23, 2009
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2012
Emily
Emily rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2014
Donna Bernardo
Donna Bernardo rated it really liked it
May 30, 2014
Blake
Blake rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2016
Alex
Alex rated it did not like it
Sep 18, 2011
Ashutosh
Ashutosh rated it did not like it
Sep 24, 2014
Jeffry Thigpen
Jeffry Thigpen rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2016
megan recalcati
megan recalcati rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2015
Barbara Wilkans
Barbara Wilkans rated it did not like it
Jun 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Beast of Bray Road: Tailing Wisconsin's Werewolf
  • The Encyclopedia of Vampires, Werewolves, and Other Monsters
  • The Werewolf in Lore and Legend
  • Werewolf (Ed & Lorraine Warren #5)
  • Werewolves: A Field Guide to Shapeshifters, Lycanthropes, and Man-Beasts
  • Giants, Monsters, and Dragons: An Encyclopedia of Folklore, Legend, and Myth
  • The Encyclopedia of Witchcraft & Demonology
  • Werewolves and Shape Shifters: Encounters with the Beasts Within
  • The Book of Werewolves
  • A Lycanthropy Reader: Werewolves in Western Culture
  • The Werewolf's Guide to Life: A Manual for the Newly Bitten
  • The Vampire Encyclopedia
  • Unexplained!: Strange Sightings, Incredible Occurrences & Puzzling Physical Phenomena
  • Curse of the Full Moon: A Werewolf Anthology
  • The Fairy Bible: The Definitive Guide to the World of Fairies
  • Ravenous
  • Element Encyclopedia Of Secret Signs And Symbols The Ultimate A Z Guide From Alchemy To The Zodiac
  • The Vampire Book: The Encyclopedia of the Undead