Start by marking “Sangue-do-Coração” as Want to Read:
Sangue-do-Coração

Sangue-do-Coração

4.1  ·  Rating Details ·  11,005 Ratings  ·  1,103 Reviews
Uma floresta assombrada. Um castelo amaldiçoado. Uma jovem que foge do seu passado e um homem que é mais do que parece ser. Uma história de amor, traição e redenção...

Whistling Tor é um lugar de segredos, uma colina arborizada e misteriosa que alberga a fortaleza deteriorada de um chefe tribal cujo nome se pronuncia no distrito em tons de repulsa e de amargura. Há uma mald
Published June 18th 2010 by Bertrand Editora (first published October 2nd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Sangue-do-Coração, please sign up.

Lora There is one where a man looks into a mirror that reflects his lustful view of a woman, it is somewhat detailed but not what I considered explicit.…moreThere is one where a man looks into a mirror that reflects his lustful view of a woman, it is somewhat detailed but not what I considered explicit. However, I did not let my kids read this book because of that and maybe a few other details. (less)

Khanh (the meanie)
It is a well-known fact that I adore Beauty and the Beast retellings, so it's about damn time I reviewed this. It is not only the best retelling I have ever read, it is among my top five favorite books of all time. I can't even tell you how beautiful, fantastic, magical this story is. It truly has everything. It is a long story; don't be afraid of the length. It will fly by as you're immersed in it, and I, for one, wish it were longer. Also, the "Beast" is a long red-haired Irish dude with half ...more
Kat Kennedy
Marquis de Sade is a rather famous figure. Mostly for a lot of kinky sex acts because all of his sex fantasies included violence, criminality and blasphemy. That and he really liked buttsecks!

Okay, so history remembers Marquis de Sade for the crazy, deviant man that he was. But I think we're all forgetting the real point to the story of Marquis de Sade... and that is love. Love that conquors all. Love that supports and love that understands and accepts. After all, the Marquis de Sade had a very
Tatiana
Nov 07, 2010 Tatiana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tatiana by: Kat Kennedy
Shelves: fairy-tales, 2011
I think Juliet Marillier's most successful books are the ones that follow traditional fairy tales the closest. Heart's Blood and Daughter of the Forest are the best of hers I've read so far.

And as far as fairy tale retelling goes, nobody does it as well as Juliet Marillier does. She has that special ability to take a centuries-old tale and fill it with interesting new characters, historical details, original and always very atmospheric setting - and voila, a great story that doesn't feel like an
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (of badger and SNAKE)

Actual rating : 3.5 stars

Trust me, I wanted to love this book so, so much. But if Heart's Blood casted a spell on me, captivating me, I encountered the same problems I had with Shadowfell, making it hard to entirely connect with the story, especially in the second half.

Fascinating settings : Think about an ominous forest, a mysterious castle, whose inhabitants have been suffering from a curse for years. What not to love?

If I wasn't completely won by the writing (I'll come back to that), I
♛Tash

Warning: this is a gushy review, so if you don't want to be embarrassed on my behalf, turn away now.

The story opens with Caitrin, our beauty in this BatB retelling, running away from her abusive guardian as far as money can take her. She goes as far as Whistling Tor, more on Whistling Tor later. Desperate, Caitrin takes a summer job as scribe to the reclusive lord of Whistling Tor, despite the discouragement of the local folk. She's determinedly positive (irritatingly so at times) to complete he
Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ (of BADGER and Snake)
May 11, 2016 Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ (of BADGER and Snake) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ (of BADGER and Snake) by: Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (of badger and SNAKE)

*3.5 stars* I think....

"Your coming here has changed everything, Caitrin. You have opened my mind to possibilities beyond any I had dreamed of. So I fetched the books. I knew you could translate them, but...Caitrin, the idea of any action of mine causing you hurt is...it's unbearable. You are...you're like a beating heart. A glowing lamp. I've never met anyone like you before."

photo giphy 73_zpsvnwpnxca.gif

This book was beautiful....and the male lead was EVERYTHING I was looking for: Dark. Tortured. Broken...deeply and
new_user
Nov 02, 2010 new_user rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Romance, Beauty and the Beast fans
Shelves: epic-fantasy
Are you feeling nostalgic about your Beauty & the Beast days? I mean the Disney movie. Then you should totally read Heart's Blood by Juliet Marillier.

Her novels are as elegantly picked out as her pseudonym. Marillier's heroes and heroines are always so classy. They never say, "That bastard is a villain! Let's chop him in three!" They always maintain their humanity, and it isn't because they're too innocent to think of crueler alternatives. They're just above that, dude.

Her heroes and heroin
Keertana
Rating: 4.5 Stars

Although Heart's Blood is only my second Juliet Marillier novel, I can already count her amongst my favorite authors...ever. Marillier has a distinct style of writing stories about kind, but fierce, female protagonists and tortured romantic interests, creating beautiful love stories all against a backdrop of fantastical imagination. If that isn't a recipe for success, then I don't know what is. Yet, with Heart's Blood, Marillier has surpassed her previous prowess, writing one o
M.
Closer to 4 stars but I'm rounding up because the writing is so lovely and earthy and dreamy, and the atmosphere is just perfect for this time of year when leaves and weather are starting to turn.

Will have to own this one in hardcover. And reread it until winter sets in.
Kay
Jun 11, 2011 Kay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Beauty and the Beast...without the hints of bestiality
This was a lovely book. Juliet Marillier, how do you do it? How do you write about such beautifully scarred individuals learning to find courage, play my heart strings like a harp, and create such a unique, sincere rendition without unnecessary melodrama and violence?

This is quite possibly one of the best renditions of Beauty and the Beast I've read or seen (though the Disney version holds a special place in my heart, yes, even with the talking silverware).

I think the core element of Beauty and
Susana
Nov 11, 2016 Susana rated it really liked it
(review in English below)

Quatro estrelas benevolentes, porque é a Juliet Marillier...

É uma boa história, contada por mais uma forte protagonista feminina e com mais um interessante co-protagonista masculino, tal como esta autora já nos habituou.

Gostei de todos os personagens e do desenvolvimento da narrativa, mas por alguma razão soube-me a pouco, não me senti arrebatada pelos acontecimentos nem pelo romance...

Achei que a explicação para todo o mistério que envolve Whistling Tor fez sentido e, e
Erotic Horizon
Dec 04, 2009 Erotic Horizon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every now and again I read a book that is simply perfection – Juliet Marillier – HEART’S BLOOD is one of those books for me. Prior to the release I remember seeing the cover and thought this book will knock my socks off and so said, so done.

The book starts of with Caitrin a young scribe making her way to parts unknown, running away from a greater evil. With only the bare minimum plus the tools of her trade as comfort, she is dropped off late in the evening in the woods near to what is known as W
Kathleen
3.5 stars. Despite some pacing problems, Marillier spins a captivating yarn in Heart's Blood, set in Ireland in the 12th Century, when Anglo-Normans invaded. Content includes one sex scene (not graphic, this is YA), dark sorcery, mutilation, battery, murder, etc.

Some say this is similar to Beauty and the Beast, but the supposed "Beast" (Lord Anluan) is not all that ugly. Nor is "Beauty" forced to live with him. She arrives voluntarily, seeking a job and safe refuge. The similarity rests in the
Marquise
3.5 stars for this fairly good Beauty and the Beast historical fantasy retelling.

I'd like to link to Alienor's review instead of writing mine, because we're surprisingly so in agreement over the positive and negative points of this novel that it feels like I'd just be merely repeating her words.
K.
I did it. I've broken my fairy tale re-telling cherry. I decided to start with Juliet Marillier's Heart's Blood as it seems highly regarded...and I know now why.

Heart's Blood contains all the essence of what we know of Beauty and the Beast, but is still an original in its own right. We have Caitrin, a talented scribe on the run from her abusive husband-to-be and his mother. She falls upon Whistling Tor, where the chieftain Anluan, a young man with physical deformities is suffering from many thi
Erica (daydreamer)
Ahhh. *deep breath in and out, cue delighted, satisfied smile*

The best books are the ones that have me smiling with wonder and rapture when I read the last word on the last page, and I have to go back and read the last few paragraphs or pages. And Heart’s Blood was no exception. When I was finished, the story had me firmly wrapped inside its lyrical, fantastical allure, melting my heart to pure liquid with the endearing nature of the characters and the strength and complete love they showed whe
Amelmag
Apr 04, 2010 Amelmag rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
There are things I enjoyed about this book. The general idea was intriguing, and under the hands of a deft author could have been powerful. However, Marillier shows none of her old inclination to apply herself to the painstaking creation of subtle characters, eloquent dialogue, or moments heavy with meaning. Where did the magic of Daughter of the Forest go, where each word sung of stories beyond itself, and every silence was heavy with things unsaid?

The chemistry between the two main characters
Ashley Brooks
This may be the best Beauty & the Beast retelling I've ever read.
Kim
Nov 06, 2013 Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: has-read
This review won't retell the blurb, I find that awfully boring. I mean generally if your interested in a book you read the blurb first, right? So no need to rehash. However I will tell you my feelings on the book itself.

An absolute lovely read. Yes I realize it was based loosely on Beauty & the Beast, but it was very loose.

A story of finding love and devotion in the most unlikely of places. The idea that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and that the soul is beautiful is aptly described
Casey ~Kaleidoscopic Killer of the Deep~
I am perhaps a little too excited for the live action Beauty and the Beast with Emma Watson & Dan Stevens so don't be surprised if several retellings of this old favorite end up on my to-read list in the very near future.
manda
I picked this up completely ignorant of the fact that this was a Beauty and the Beast retelling. See, I try to avoid reviews before reading a book, which is possibly one reason why I never knew this was a fairy tale retelling. Despite all that, I went in to Heart's Blood, and the moment the curse of Whistling Tor was explained, the moment our deformed hero, Anluan, made an appearance, I felt in my heart this drew close to Beauty and the Beast.
It's not that the curse was in any way similar to the
Célia
Quem vem seguindo as minhas leituras e conhece um pouco os meus gostos sabe que a Juliet Marillier é uma das minhas escritoras preferidas. Há cerca de 7-8 anos comecei por ler A Filha da Floresta e fiquei tão encantada com o livro que não descansei enquanto não li tudo o que a escritora tinha publicado e, depois disso, comecei a comprar e ler tudo o que saía dela com bastante ansiedade. Se há escritor(a) que me fez ler noite dentro, sonhar com as histórias e as personagens dos seus livros, que j ...more
Kelly
Nov 06, 2009 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes a book comes along just when you need it. Heart’s Blood was like that for me. Between Juliet Marillier’s compelling tale-spinning and an underlying message about love and courage that I really needed to hear, it’s pretty safe to say I was moved deeply by this novel.

At its core, Heart’s Blood is a Beauty and the Beast story. Marillier mixes the classic fairy tale with some of the conventions of Gothic romance, sets it all in the medieval-Ireland setting she’s so good at portraying, and
Alise  (Readers in Wonderland)
For years, Bec has been occasionally constantly suggesting badgering me to read something by Juliet Marillier. So I eventually gave in and was like alright, I'll try something by her, so Bec recommended HEART'S BLOOD, partly since it was a standalone. I didn't think I would like it at all, and when I opened the first page I was like, "FOR BEC." So, to be honest, I was absolutely dreading it.

Boy, was I surprised. HEART'S BLOOD became one of the only books this year (so far) that I actually was ex
Talltree
Feb 09, 2015 Talltree rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: genre-fantasy
A pre-Christian fantasy retelling of Beauty and the Beast when Ireland was called Erin and druids and the Fae walked on Earth. Rich worldbuilding with probably many authentic bits in there - of Norman conquerors and feudal village life etc., with also some sorcery and dark magic thrown in. A slightly Gothic thread of a young girl in a mysterious house trying to get to the root of a dark mystery also runs through the book.

I didn't much like the h, she was abused by her relatives and seemed too ti
Tania
Feb 26, 2012 Tania rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookclub, fantasy
To lose you is to spill my heart's blood.

3.5 stars. I think what I enjoy most about Juliet Marillieris the way she infuses fantasy titles with real world problems and emotions. Her titles are also very rich in historical details. Although I enjoyed this title, I would recommend that you start with The Sevenwater series. If anyone can make any suggestions for similar titles, I would be very grateful, as I only have one JM book left to read.

The story: Anluan has been crippled since childhood, part
Alexa
Nov 17, 2015 Alexa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
FIRST THOUGHTS: 4.75 stars, really. Marillier magic strikes again! As always, this one starts off with a slower pace. But it definitely starts picking up until, before you know it, you're completely invested in Caitrin, in Anluan and in the Tor. That last third? Gave me all the feels. I'd certainly recommend giving this one a shot.
Patrícia
Opinião do Blogue Chaise Longue:http://girlinchaiselongue.blogspot.pt...

Australiana de nascimento com raízes irlandesas e escocesas, Juliet esteve sempre ligada ao folclore e mitologia destas duas culturas mas foi em Música que se formou, tendo sido cantora de ópera entre outros campos da música incluindo em coros. Durante 30 anos trabalhou para o Governo australiano até que em 2003, com o sucesso dos seus livros decidiu dedicar-se à escrita a tempo inteiro. Mãe de quatro filhos e avó de seis ne
Emily (BellaGrace)
Juliet Marillier can be depended on to write a great story. Sure, this is basically a retelling of beauty and the beast, but it's a great story, great characters - very enjoyable.
Chachic
Originally posted here.

Let me just say that I love the US cover in the edition that I have, showing a girl standing in front of a mirror in a library. The library and mirrors play major roles in the story so it's an appropriate cover design. Heart's Blood is a haunting retelling of Beauty and the Beast. I was surprised by how different the whole atmosphere in this one was compared to the Sevenwaters series. This one is much darker with a mysterious curse surrounding the chieftain of Whistling To
All About Fantasy!: Heart's blood 2 13 Oct 17, 2014 11:21AM
Juliet Marillier Heroines 2 48 Jan 08, 2014 11:45AM
Goodreads Feedback: Search auto-suggest problem 17 64 Aug 19, 2013 07:50PM
Basically Books!: Heart's Blood (Whistling Tor #1) by Juliet Marillier (October 2012 Group Read) 2 59 Feb 14, 2013 11:57AM
  • Entreat Me
  • Mystic and Rider (Twelve Houses, #1)
  • O Guerreiro-Lobo (A Saga das Pedras Mágicas, #2)
  • The Hollow Kingdom (The Hollow Kingdom Trilogy, #1)
  • The Raging Quiet
  • The Laurentine Spy
  • The Hidden Goddess (Veneficas Americana, #2)
  • In the Forests of Serre
  • The Poison Throne (Moorehawke Trilogy, #1)
  • Taming the Forest King
  • Thorn
  • Keturah and Lord Death
  • The Wild Girl
  • Once Upon a Winter's Night (Faery, #1)
  • Ember
  • Warprize  (Chronicles of the Warlands, #1)
  • Heart's Blood (Blood Magic, #2)
  • Heroes at Risk (Hero, #4)
Juliet Marillier was born July 27, 1948 in Dunedin, New Zealand and grew up surrounded by Celtic music and stories. Her own Celtic-Gaelic roots inspired her to write her first series, the Sevenwaters Trilogy. Juliet was educated at the University of Otago, where she majored in music and languages, graduating BA and a B Mus (Hons). Her lifelong interest in history, folklore and mythology has had a ...more
More about Juliet Marillier...

“How could you not know?" His voice was full of wonderment. "You changed me utterly. You were like a...like a bright, wonderful bloom in a garden full of weeds. Like a graceful capital on a page of plain script, a letter decorated with the deepest, finest colors in all Erin. Like a flame, Caitrin. Like a song.” 51 likes
“Even in that time of utter darkness, somewhere deep inside me the memory of love and goodness had stayed alive.” 41 likes