Start by marking “The Same River Twice” as Want to Read:
The Same River Twice

The Same River Twice

The Same River Twice is an exciting collection of work based on Alice Walker's groundbreaking, Pulitzer Prize-winning novel, The Color Purple. It includes the never-used screenplay Walker wrote, never-before-seen diary entries and letters, as well as new writings by the author on such topics as art, motherhood, illness, and relationships. Walker also discusses, for the fir ...more
Published January 1st 1997 by Washington Square Press (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Same River Twice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Same River Twice

A Witch Without Magic by Larisa WalkThe Book of Elven Magick by The Silver ElvesSkin Folk by Nalo HopkinsonApostasy by Marlene K. SladeCelestial Selenite Scry by Marlene K. Slade
A Witch's Wish List
24th out of 30 books — 6 voters
The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil GaimanWide Sargasso Sea by Jean RhysThe Light Between Oceans by M.L. StedmanBy the Shores of Silver Lake by Laura Ingalls WilderThe Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway
Title Challenge - Water
32nd out of 196 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

A. Breeze Harper
May 03, 2009 A. Breeze Harper rated it it was amazing
This book is not for everyone. I found this book extremely intimate and amazing. Why? I enjoy "getting to know" my favorite authors in a way that depicts them as "human just like you and me." Alice Walker let's us into her mind and emotions. She shows us that behind her great literary talent, she too goes through self-doubt, worry about what "other people think", etc.
I remember when The Color Purple movie was released and the backlash it got from black men in my community who perceived it as "ma
Pamela Detlor
Apr 06, 2012 Pamela Detlor rated it it was amazing
As an avid reader, I love the possibility of finding gems among the words of others. Sometimes I stumble upon a perfectly crafted sentence that flows like music from the page. Other times I learn something about the world or something about myself. Words have the power to destroy, to lift up, and to inspire.

Alice Walker has penned many books, both fiction and nonfiction. A common theme in her work is rising above human frailty. Walker’s critics have often accused her of being arrogant and self-o
Saman Kashi
Apr 29, 2008 Saman Kashi added it
Shelves: novel

در صورت تمایل، جهت مشخصات فیلمی که بر اساس این کتاب ساخته شده است؛ میتوانید از لینک زیر استفاده بفرمایید
Teri Drake-Floyd
Oct 13, 2016 Teri Drake-Floyd rated it it was amazing
It was a year ago this week that I saw Alice Walker speak at the Morton Theatre, so I am full of warm and fuzzys for her at the moment (who am I kidding, I'm always full of warm and fuzzys for Alice. She's like a much-loved blanket - comforting and soft, even when delivering hard truths and heartbreak).

This book was really timely, too. I didn't even know it existed, but found it on a table at the flea market with a huge stack of other books by noteable African American female authors. I bought
Ralowe Ampu
Jun 01, 2013 Ralowe Ampu rated it really liked it
dude steven spielberg. i can only think of stupid things to say about alice walker because i grew up in suburban southern california not really knowing that i was black in the 1980s. pop culture was messenger to my own blackness, and i want to suggest that spielberg offered it in a certain way, as northerners bringing the message of freedom to the enslaved black. yeah it's that bad. i didn't think i could really seriously read alice walker because i had to have it all wrong. surely that kind of ...more
Jul 10, 2010 Terry rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
This book is solely for those interested in reading about the controversy surrounding the adaptation of Walker's The Color Purple into the film. Some of it would make great supplementary material for English (or, I guess, film) teachers.

I really enjoyed reading her submitted screenplay, and I wish someone would actually make that film, just for, well, "fun" probably isn't the word.

The book as a whole is a little jumbled/hodge-podge: there are journal entries, her screenplay, reprinted articles a
Aug 09, 2014 Kristen rated it really liked it
Shelves: master-s-degree
Alice Walker exposes herself in a very naked way. Within her biography, she published letters, journal entries and her complete version of the screenplay of The Color Purple. She is a master weaver of words to create a flowing story current. I felt the gentle sway of the waters and surges of the emotional tides throughout the biography.

My favorite part was the screenplay and her observations at the beginning of the book. I had recently taken a screenwriting class, so enjoyed reading that section
Jul 23, 2014 Susan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book seems to be the author's attempt to go back and try to make sense out of the catapult of her novel into the movie The Color Purple. In a way the book probably represents the craziness that would fall down on anyone with success that comes too much too fast and the evil that seems to attach itself to the coat-tails of such success. For me the book had a few interesting personal tidbits of the author's struggles with her health and the hatred directed toward her by some critics so vitrio ...more
Jul 11, 2013 Carol rated it liked it
The frist part of the book deserves 5 plus stars. Her discussion of her writing, of her hesitation before becoming famous etc. is just magnificient. And it is horrifying to read how people attack you once you have made it. Her attempts to stay centered, again, are really important. Her inclusion of other people's articles, reviews, letters to her make the book feel somewhat patched together. I'm glad I read it, but will only re-read the first half.
Zen Cho
Mostly about the making of the Color Purple movie and the reactions to it. Interesting, but a bit bitty. How do I say -- ? It was worth reading, but it was more like reading a fansite for The Color Purple than a book that could stand on its own merits, if that makes any sense.
Feb 06, 2011 Ruth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, memoir
Don't want to panic, but it's getting a little weird around here. Fourth book I've read that mentions Lyme Disease. Does everyone feel tired? What's that red spot that looks like a bulls eye?

She didn't linger on the Lyme Disease. The focus was on making The Color Purple movie and life after. Very interesting read. Miss Walker always gives the reader lots to contemplate.
Chere Marie
Sep 30, 2013 Chere Marie rated it liked it
I loved The Color Purple; both the book and film years ago. I found this book at a thrift store for $1.99 and took it on a trip recently. It was a fascinating look at how her life was changed as she wrote the book, assisted in the making of the film and both the joy and sorrow that came after the film was released.
Elisa Gonzalez
Jul 28, 2014 Elisa Gonzalez rated it really liked it
Alice Walker has to be one of the very few writers who can write a book, about the making of another book, into a film, and manage to make it incredibly beautiful, insightful, uplifting, soulful and thought-provoking.

Clare Savage
Nov 28, 2007 Clare Savage rated it really liked it
I love Alice Walker's way of reflecting on the decisions she has made in her life. It connects to her journey with the making of the movie of the Color Purple and dealing with Lyme diesese. I also have a deep appreciation for dread locks since reading this book.
Apr 09, 2008 Mehrsa rated it liked it
I love Alice Walker, the essay writer. This book is a memoir of essays about overcoming. She is always great, but this book is not as brilliant as some others.
Jan 07, 2015 Martha rated it it was amazing
I originally read this book years ago. One of the best books I have ever read. I recommend this book to all my friends to at least read once. A must read!!
Jann Cather
Aug 29, 2012 Jann Cather rated it really liked it
Walker's story of making the movie, The Color Purple and other tangential reflections of life, literature, and creating a script for film.
Sep 08, 2011 Abranch71 rated it really liked it
I loved the movie and the book The Color Purple. It was good to read about Alice's letting go to make the movie happen and bring the story to a wider audience.
Jean Marie Angelo
Feb 01, 2013 Jean Marie Angelo rated it it was amazing
Alice writes about the process of turning her wonderful novel into a movie. It was joyful and discouraging at the same time.
Rene rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2008
Tracy rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2016
Apocalippz rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2009
Laura rated it liked it
Sep 25, 2011
Sue rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2009
Sherrie rated it liked it
Dec 14, 2008
Bill rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2008
Michelle Tackabery
Michelle Tackabery rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2008
Krishna Davenport
Krishna Davenport rated it did not like it
Jul 19, 2009
Phoebe rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2012
Stacey rated it really liked it
Nov 29, 2010
  • The Blackbird Papers
  • Alchemy of Race and Rights
  • W.E.B. Du Bois: The Fight for Equality and the American Century, 1919-1963
  • Lytton Strachey: The New Biography
  • In Search of Sisterhood: Delta Sigma Theta and the Challenge of the Black Sorority Movement
  • Sweeter the Juice: A Family Memoir in Black and White
  • Beautiful Shadow: A Life of Patricia Highsmith
  • Homegirls and Handgrenades
  • Power Reading: The Best, Fastest, Easiest, Most Effective Course on Speedreading and Comprehension Ever Developed: The Fastest, Best, Easiest Course on Speedreading and Comprehension Ever Developed!
  • Healing the Soul of America: Reclaiming Our Voices as Spiritual Citizens
Alice Walker, one of the United States’ preeminent writers, is an award-winning author of novels, stories, essays, and poetry. In 1983, Walker became the first African-American woman to win a Pulitzer Prize for fiction with her novel The Color Purple, which also won the National Book Award. Her other books include The Third Life of Grange Copeland, Meridian, The Temple of My Familiar, and Possessi ...more
More about Alice Walker...