Tentang Kapital Marx [Abridged]

Tentang Kapital Marx [Abridged]

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  108 ratings  ·  13 reviews
A classic of early modernism, Capital combines vivid historical detail with economic analysis to produce a bitter denunciation of mid-Victorian capitalist society. It has proved to be the most influential work in twentieth-century social science; Marx did for social science what Darwin had done for biology.
This is the only abridged edition to take into account the whole o...more
Published November 2006 by Ultimus dan Akatiga (first published 1867)

To ask other readers questions about Tentang Kapital Marx [Abridged], please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tentang Kapital Marx [Abridged]

William
Karl would be spinning in his grave right now and in between gaffuws saying I TOLD YOU SO! as America saves its most stalwart capitalist icons with socialist policies! Read it and understand that the only real value is human labor...not paper or plastic.
Keith
I read this while in High School and at the time I thought the ideas where good but as I have grown older I have found that the ideas of Marx are incompatible with the driving forces of man. We would need to go through a radical evolution of mind to even be able to adopt any of Marx and if you take his ideas and apply them to a microcosm of individual families you can see the break down pretty quickly.
Lauren Sheil
I just finished reading “Capital”, Karl Marx’s seminal work on political economy originally published in 1867 toward the end of the industrial revolution. The following is a summary of quotes from the book that I’ve been tweeting for the past few days along with my impressions and comments on each.

“The country that is more developed industrially only shows, to the less developed, the image of its own future.” #marx

Throughout the book Marx appears to me to be similar on tone to all the great dev...more
Robert
This particular print of the book knocked off a star (at least) from my review. It was published by Pacific Publishing in 2010, and it is riddled with typos. There are paragraphs after paragraphs that start with a random capital P before the first word, many words are missing their first letter, and it is not clear that this is actually only the first book (of three) of Marx's capital. It is also probably an edited version of the first book, but there is no way to tell in this way sub-par print....more
Dan
Jun 28, 2007 Dan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Marxists
Shelves: leftwingpolitics
Well what can I say? Perhaps one of the most unreadable books every written, but required reading for anyone hoping to get their teeth into Marxian political economy. While it’s very heavy going, it can be very rewarding. Time consuming in the extreme, I would still recommend it, although it’s become increasingly hard to get hold of a copy that has not been edited, abridged, or otherwise tampered with.

I would however advise people to read the likes of Wage Labour & Capital before starting w...more
Darran Mclaughlin
Not sure if I got much out of actually reading this book. The general ideas are public knowledge and the serious economic stuff is beyond the understanding of anyone who isn't pretty familiar with economic concepts already. He is a really good writer when he reaches out to a wider audience, dropping referrences to Dante, Goethe, Shakespeare, Cervantes and the Greeks with ease. It was a good reminder that the capitalist system is not 'natural', however acclimatised to it we are in the west, but I...more
Nathan
Admittedly, it starts a bit dry and took me a bit to finish. Well rounded critique of the capitalism of yesteryear with moments relevant to today's mixture economies. Say what you will about the man's ideas, but there is no denying he had a great intellect and sharp writing skills.
Simon
Fittingly dense. So much of what Marx wrote, which once seemed perceptive, has been superceded by later ideas in various fields, and his utopianism and economic determinism never did make sense in hind-sight. A must-read, simply for its influence.
Deep
Extraordinary in ambition, scope and coverage, but a really difficult read. I highly recommend David Harvey's lectures (http://davidharvey.org/reading-capital/) as a companion, if you plan to make the effort.
Joseph
Mar 24, 2010 Joseph is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
The process by which laborers became divorced from the means of production is particularly well told.
Julie Lowe
Heavy going is right. I slept through most of it.
Bubba
Jun 05, 2008 Bubba is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: europe
I keep swearing I'll read this thing one day.
Ahmad
my first book that make me interested on marx!
Rebecca Clyburn
Rebecca Clyburn marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Rosó Roca
Rosó Roca marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Jeroenvv
Jeroenvv marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Mishal Mahnuma
Mishal Mahnuma marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Brandon Erickson
Brandon Erickson marked it as to-read
Cat
Cat marked it as to-read
Christine Foster
Christine Foster marked it as to-read
Brandon Nite
Brandon Nite marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Syed Aunirbaan
Syed Aunirbaan marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Krishna Kumar
Krishna Kumar is currently reading it
Aug 13, 2014
Akhil
Akhil marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
In 1820, Friedrich Engels was born in Germany into a wealthy family. Managing a branch of his father's business in Manchester, England, from 1842-1845, Engels became appalled at the poverty of the workers. He wrote his first socialist work, Conditions of the Working Class in England. After their meeting in 1844, Engels and Karl Marx became lifelong colleagues. While co-writing an article with Enge...more
More about Friedrich Engels...
The Origin of the Family, Private Property and the State The Condition of the Working Class in England Socialism, Utopian and Scientific مباديء الشيوعية The Communist Manifesto