Carnival of the Animals: Classical Music for Kids

Carnival of the Animals: Classical Music for Kids

4.45 of 5 stars 4.45  ·  rating details  ·  20 ratings  ·  8 reviews
The animals are having a carnival, and the guests are arriving. There's the majestic lion, the braying mules, the dancing elephant, and the bouncy kangaroos. Even the fossils join in with a fast and rattly dance. Everyone is invited!

Nearly 150 years ago, the composer Camille Saint-Saëns was asked by his pupils to write a musical joke for them. He wrote the Carnival of the...more
Published April 21st 1999 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (first published April 21st 1981)

Melanie
I am the "Music Mom" in my daughter's third grade class. This means that once a month I go into her classroom and present a lesson on a famous composer. This month I selected Saint-Saens, who was a French composer. He wrote the Carnival of the Animals as a joke, and even asked that it not be published until after his death because he was worried it would ruin his reputation. Well, guess which of his works of music has become the favorite!

This book is perfect for reading along with the music. I...more
Christy
We first discovered this book and cd at a special Carnival of the Animals music day at our public library. Collin (3) and Reagan (2)both loved the experience so we decided to purchase the book. We listen to it several times a week and they love to follow along in the book. They remember exactly which piece of classical music makes the lion's "roar", the donkey's "hee-haw", the cukoo's "cukoo", and their favorite - the dinosaur fossils dance! We have so much fun with this book and cd that it is e...more
David
I LOVED this book!! It tells the story of Saint-Saens' music, "The Carnival of the Animals". It came with a C.D., so we have been listening to it for about 2 months. Now that we have finally read the book as we listened to the music, I can see the gears turning in my kids' heads. It is so fun to see them falling in love with classical music, and this type of book is fabulous for that!

I need to find more!
Dianna
Great introduction to the Carnival of the Animals. If you're not familiar with the work (or even if you are), it might make sense to sit down with the book and CD and listen to it once or twice before reading it to your children. It can be a bit tricky to time the reading with the music. Lovely pictures.
Rachel
Great illustrated pages and descriptions help you lead your child through listening to the Carnival of the Animals. My boys love to sit and listen to the CD while looking at this book. And getting two energetic toddlers to sit still to listen to classical music is quite a miracle! So much fun!
Celeste
One of my favorite things to do as a child was listen to books on tape/record and look at the corresponding book. This book and CD join great music with good illustrations. Way better than teletubbies!
Meredith McGowan
A must for programming as a Children's Librarian. Make hand puppets before for the kids to follow along!
Whitney
A great book for younger children to go along with their listening of Carnival of the Animals.
Guen
Guen marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Vanda
Vanda marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2014
Mickslibrarian
Mickslibrarian marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2014
Gail Youngs
Gail Youngs marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
Jasmine Dawson
Jasmine Dawson marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2014
Katarzyna Chmara
Katarzyna Chmara marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2014
Ethan
Ethan added it
Dec 18, 2013
Tina
Tina marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2013
Kelly O'brien
Kelly O'brien marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2013
Abbey Taylor
Abbey Taylor marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2013
Ncimontessori Library
Ncimontessori Library is currently reading it
Jan 30, 2014
Summy
Summy marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2013
Megan
Megan added it
Aug 11, 2013
Karen
Karen added it
Jul 26, 2013
Jo Ison
Jo Ison marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2013
Tania Sanchez
Tania Sanchez marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Charles-Camille Saint-Saëns (French pronunciation: [ʃaʁl kamij sɛ̃sɑ̃s]) was a French late-Romantic composer, organist, conductor, and pianist. He is known especially for The Carnival of the Animals, Danse macabre, Samson and Delilah, Piano Concerto No. 2, Cello Concerto No. 1, Havanaise, Introduction and Rondo Capriccioso, and his Symphony No. 3 (Organ Symphony).
More about Camille Saint-Saëns...
Concerto No. 1 in a Minor, Op. 33: For Cello and Orchestra Musical Memories (Illustrated Edition) (Dodo Press) Tarantelle, Op. 6: Flute & Clarinet with Piano, Score & Parts Violin Concerto, No. 3 Allegro Appassionato, Op. 43