Start by marking “The Breach” as Want to Read:
The Breach

The Breach (Travis Chase #1)

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,366 Ratings  ·  527 Reviews
Thirty years ago, in a facility buried beneath a vast Wyoming emptiness, an experiment gone awry accidentally opened a door. It is the world's best-kept secret-and its most terrifying. Trying to regain his life in the Alaskan wilds, ex-con/ex-cop Travis Chase stumbles upon an impossible scene: a crashed 747 passenger jet filled with the murdered dead, including the wife of ...more
Published December 10th 2009 by HarperCollins (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Breach, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Breach

Diane
This was a totally fun but also ludicrous book. The story has so many twists and turns, especially at the end, that after I finished I tried to puzzle out the loopiness.

Then I gave up trying to understand because the plot required so much suspension of disbelief that I might as well have been walking on air.

Let's go back to the fun part! Travis Chase goes on what he thought would be a peaceful hike in the Alaskan wilderness. One day he finds an airplane that had crashed in the woods. He goes to
Nick
Aug 09, 2015 Nick rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book because David Goyer is adapting it to film. Reading this book reminded me of The Onion's accusations that Fast & Furious was written by a 5-year-old child, because that's the only logical explanation for the illogical sequences and stupendously trite tropes in that film, just as it is the only logical explanation for what happens in this book.

It has a main character who is a nobody with a troubled past, thrust into a huge government cover-up when he finds the President's wif
Rizwan
Just finished The Breach and the only thing I can say is that it was simply AWESOME! A very quick and easy-to-follow read which I didn't exactly expect as I thought it'd be more labyrinthian with too many hard to understand techno/scifi jurgons. And though there were never any shortage of "scifi talk", it was just as much to give reader a perfect headway of things, and never went over the head. But first and foremost, The Breach is an action-suspense novel, and in that criterea it delivered in S ...more
Mike (the Paladin)
You know...I like this book more than I expected to. I'm hoping that this leads into a good series that holds up. Our protagonist here is one who's got a past or maybe I should say a Past that's with a capital P. He was a dirty cop and we learn real quick (so it's not a spoiler) that something he did cost the life of the woman he loved.

He's spent the last years in prison and is looking at re-starting his life at 40.

Then fate intervenes.... Or is it fate? Humm....

The way the story unfolds, the
Katy
Apr 20, 2013 Katy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vine-book
Please note: I read and reviewed this in 2010 from a copy I received from Amazon Vine.

My Story outline: The Breach starts out like a thriller - the main character, Travis Chase, just released from prison, stumbles upon the wreck of a 747 that contains, among other things, the dead body of the First Lady and a cryptic note alluding to "Tangent." There is no sign of a rescue operation - in fact, there is no sign that anyone else heard the crash.

From there, things start to get weird, and slowly but
Keifario
Oct 29, 2012 Keifario rated it really liked it
Patrick Lee is a skilled writer and The Breach is a creative story. I liked it enough that I'm interested in moving on to the second book in the series, and I would easily recommend it to people. The first 1/3 of the story is intriguing, atmospheric and suspenseful.

But, I almost wanted to give this three stars instead of four because there's a long scene in the middle that goes way over the top. The body count is ridiculous and unnecessary, and my already maxed out suspension of disbelief began
Andrew Huff
Mar 29, 2010 Andrew Huff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I admit I'm a bit of a lit snob and typically don't like these action thrillers too much, but the sheer audacity of this plot managed to overcome all my objections and by the end I was hooked. Even though I muttered a few "this is so stupid" statements, they were always followed by "but I can't stop reading". In the end, I would even say I liked it. The story is utterly implausible and ridiculous, but you have to admit it's a pretty cool idea. Imagine a unicorn with a machine gun instead of a ho ...more
Mike Vasich
Apr 21, 2012 Mike Vasich rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, amazingly fun and fast paced! Since I'm far too lazy to write a proper summary, I'll just say this:

Travis Chase comes across a downed 747 that leads him into a worldwind of intrigue and supernatural suspense. And it's all centered on a mysterious alien device called the Whisper.

I usually only read about 50 pages at a sitting before I get antsy. I devoured about 200+ pages of The Breach in one sitting, pausing only to pee a few times.

Exciting, pulse-pounding, intriguing . . . kind of like t
John
Aug 24, 2012 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first Travis Chase book by Patrick Lee -- I'd never heard of the author before, but I saw a couple of his books at the bookstore and they seemed interesting. It looked like a trilogy, and I couldn't tell which was the first book, so I waited until I got home and researched it on the Web -- turns out the bookstore didn't have the first book in stock, so I ordered it from the library.

The book did NOT disappoint -- it read quite a bit like a Dan Brown novel, minus any of the Biblical/Kn
Donna
Jul 19, 2015 Donna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, crime-mystery
I've wanted to read this author for awhile. I loved that this story takes place in Alaska, since I am from there. So that was fun for me. Basically this was a fun little read, but it was so incredibly far-fetched. Sometimes, far-fetched can be fun too, but this seemed beyond me. I had a hard time truly embracing this, but I can't deny that it was enjoyable. So 3 stars and I will read more by this author. I liked his characters and the plot seemed well thought out.

Daniel
Nov 21, 2010 Daniel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reminds me of some of the better Twilight Zone and Outer Limits episodes I've seen. A science experiment goes awry, smart people try to solve the problem while villainous people try to exploit and abuse the consequencs, and the protagonist somehow connects to it all. Questions drive the plot, and half-answers keep things interesting. Best of all, I still have no idea what Patrick Lee is up to with this book or its forthcoming followup - and I'm keen to find out. So: entertaining in the moment an ...more
Fate's Lady
Apr 03, 2014 Fate's Lady rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Kate
Mar 02, 2012 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, ebook
Be forewarned: This book is BRUTAL.

No, really. It's brutal. While the descriptions are never over the top - for the scenarios involved, the prose is remarkably restrained and lets the reader's imagination fill in the horrifying details - the situations themselves are horrific and the physical violence done is immense. If you have a weak stomach and/or a strong imagination, you may not want to read this book.

Then again, you may want to, because for all its brutality, it's inventive, engaging, and
Freda Malone
Sep 18, 2015 Freda Malone rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I had already read Ghost Country by Patrick Lee which was the second to the series and really enjoyed it. A hard core sci-fi that gets you thinking. So - I picked up the first book, The Breach, which also features Travis Chase and I enjoyed this one even more. Action packed and doesn't quit throughout the whole book. Creative way to incorporate technology perhaps a thousand years from now. I could say much more exciting things but don't want to spoil it. A good fast read.
Robby
Jan 29, 2013 Robby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lee Child/Jack Reacher Fans
Recommended to Robby by: Self
This is the first novel for Patrick Lee. Thus,the intro of Travis Chase as the lead protagonist. When I read the back cover;(just a portion herein); "Trying to regain his life in the Alaskan wilds,ex-con/ex-cop Travis Chase stumbles upon an impossible scene: a crashed 747 passenger jet filled with the murdered dead, including the wife of the President of the United States". Now that peaked my interest. And I must say; I was not disappointed. This is the first installment of several near-future a ...more
Barry
Jan 27, 2015 Barry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Breach by Patrick Lee is absolutely first class entertainment. It is more fun than any book I have read in the last year, one of those, "I can't put it down," types.

The book is anything but your straightforward good versus evil story although it does have that appearance at times. There are a couple of twists that I absolutely couldn't see coming and I look for these things!

The story is about a secret multinational group that is the guardian of a startling scientific development. It involve
Blood Rose Books
Feb 03, 2014 Blood Rose Books rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the first in an action packed new series Patrick Lee introduces a man that never wanted to be a hero and a mysterious weapon that has the ability to change everything:

Travis Chase has just been released from prison and he is trying to restart his life back on the right side of the law. He decides to get back to nature and take a backpacking trip across the Alaskan wilds, but this trip will change his life forever. Travis stumbles upon a crashed 747 passenger plane that is filled with people m
Dixie A.
Oct 24, 2014 Dixie A. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Wow. What a mindfuck. The ultimate time travel paradox novel (and, from what I read of the summaries of the rest of the series, series as well).

A hiker discovers a downed plane, which leads him to a secret that the government's been keeping for years -- there is a source of alien technology. Like an invisible suit. A hostility/aggression trigger. And an entity that seemingly wants to destroy the world.

It's a mad dash from beginning to end, with mysteries to solve, things blowing up, impossible t
Jack
Dec 29, 2014 Jack rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I decided to read this novel from the reviews on some of the goodreads members, very glad I did as from the first page this is another novel that had me from start to finish.
Amazing idea great characters and the running plot with the (Breach) a sort of door opened in the universe wich extracts diff' and amazing new inventions such as the whisper...loved that little guy'
I would definitely recommend this as an action sci fi ,gunner to most anyone , one important thing is remembering this is a sc
Ctgt
Oct 29, 2015 Ctgt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, action
7/10
Michael Shore
May 26, 2014 Michael Shore rated it liked it
After reading Patrick Lee's "The Runner" and having recommended that to a good friend, when she finished it, she started "The Breach", so I did as well. I think I liked this one a bit more than she did due to the more sci-fi nature of this one. I did like this book, but it is very enlightening to read the most recent book by a writer which was his 4th book, and then read this, his debut novel.

The Breach was not as well constructed or as cohesive as The Runner but as a sci-fi fan, i loved the co
Patrick Gibson
Patrick Lee's "The Breach" is an exciting read, but a hard novel to characterize, combining elements of terrorism, special operations, and "X-Files" type mysteries. However one characterizes it, Lee keeps you on edge as it rips through an intricate plot peopled with characters of genuine complexity.
In "The Breach", the government has accidentally created some sort of space/time rift which regularly spits out alien artifacts. Some are extremely useful, some dangerous, and some simply can't be un
Denise
Nov 30, 2010 Denise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.0 out of 5 stars What is The Breach and who can you trust?, November 30, 2010

This review is from: The Breach (Mass Market Paperback)
Lucky me! I have the second book in the series, Ghost Country, waiting for me right after turning the last page of this very interesting sci-fi type thriller. This first novel, The Breach, ends with a lot of unanswered questions and a cliffhanger that will make fans rush to find out out what happens next.

The story begins with a lone man trying to find answers in t
Adarsh
Patrick Lee is the newest member of the elite 'doomsday thriller' authors. Like his predecessors Michael Crichton and Dan Brown, his works are tailor-made for Hollywood.

Heavyweights David S. Goyer (Dark Knight) and di Bonaventure (Transformers) are potentially involved in the making of 'The Breach'. Great news, indeed. A mega-budget and a top billing crew are exactly what Patrick Lee's source material needs.

It is not easy to get into the story without giving away something. But, I can tell you t
Armand
A sort of high-energy, Phillip K. Dickensian sci-fi technothriller about a battle for suprmeacy between an orb-shaped supercomputer and a super-secret army. The main character is Travis Chase, a sort of tough-guy-everyman (with a troubled past- but they all have troubled pasts, right?) who is caught in events.

Great plot twists throughout and strong writing. Patrick Lee (the author) also does a great job of describing landscape which seems like a small detail, but adds a lot to the book with stro
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
Science Fiction/Mystery

The Breach is Science Fiction Mystery set not in the future but in a slightly different present. Something happened thirty years ago that opened a door to somewhere very different.

There are two really great characters in The Breach. They are also two characters that are so different that they should have never met but the way the story is written it just makes sense that they meet and work together. I liked both.

Travis Chase should not have been a good hero. He was a cro
Gavin
Writing these book reviews has lead me to a few realisations over the past couple of years, two of which I will bore you with now:

1. I will perpetually be an idiot in retrospect.
2. The hardest type of review to write is one about which you do not care.

The Breach, by Patrick Lee, is a completely workmanlike novel. A solid lunk of book, wallowing in cliché and gender trope without anything to distinguish itself from the endless shelves of airport fiction other than a lack of racism, smooth, inoffe
Theresa
Aug 01, 2011 Theresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's funny how we decide to pick up books sometimes. I was introduced to David Eddings by some fanboy-types I knew while going to college. I think I'm grateful I wasn't running with the Oprah-crowd back then. I don't think I could handle the angst. Anyway. The Breach by Patrick Lee is a book I wouldn't have even known about if it weren't for John DeNardo over at SF Signal and I might still have passed it up if it wasn't for the occasional tweet to remind people that it might be worth checking ou ...more
Feb 29, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

"Die Pforte" von Patrick Lee ist ein actionlastiger Science-Fiction-Thriller, der mir insgesamt recht gut gefallen hat.

Zum Inhalt: Der Ex-Polizist Travis Chase wurde nach 15 Jahren aus dem Gefängnis entlassen. Anstatt mit Hilfe seines Bruders einen Neuanfang zu wagen, reiste er in die Einöde Alaskas, wo er bei einer längeren Wanderung weitab jeder Zivilisation ein Flugzeugwrack findet. Die Insassen starben aber nicht durch den Absturz allein, sondern wurden erschossen und unter den Opfern befin
Alex
THE BREACH (Pub. 2010) is Patrick Lee's debut novel. It's an intriguing read and moves at a great pace.

The story is centered around our present-day world with a catch -- due to a catastrophe at a super-collider station, the United States has a secret facility with an ongoing phenomenon known as 'The Breach'. The Breach is a port hole torn in the fabric of existence that is acting as an exchange tube. And some unknown entity has been sending 'gifts' to mankind via this tube for three decades. Th
Exciting! Possible movie 6 19 Jan 27, 2016 06:22PM
What is the better book, The Breach or The Carpet Makers? 1 17 Jan 19, 2015 12:39AM
Who would you recommend this to? 9 33 Sep 20, 2013 10:50AM
  • Beneath the Dark Ice (Alex Hunter, #1)
  • Black Rain (Hawker & Laidlaw, #1)
  • Pulse (Chess Team Adventure, #1)
  • Event (Event Group Adventure, #1)
  • Rogue Wave
  • Fragment
  • Alpha
  • Icefire
There is more than one author with this name

Patrick Lee was born in west Michigan in 1976.He started writing by working on screenplays but eventually moved to novel writing.
More about Patrick Lee...

Travis Chase (3 books)
  • Ghost Country (Travis Chase, #2)
  • Deep Sky (Travis Chase, #3)