The King of the Rainy Country

The King of the Rainy Country (Van Der Valk #6)

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  69 ratings  ·  9 reviews
A Van der Valk Thriller - On a parched Spanish hillside, Van der Valk spills blood and splinters bone. A handsome millionaire is missing. A naked girl has disappeared with him. Van der Valk has the arduous task of finding out why and where they are. And some people would shoot him for trying.
Published January 1st 2001 by House of Stratus (first published January 1st 1965)

To ask other readers questions about The King of the Rainy Country, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The King of the Rainy Country

Kissing the Rain by Kevin BrooksHenderson the Rain King by Saul BellowDifferent Seasons by Stephen KingThe House of Mirth by Edith WhartonThe Neon Rain by James Lee Burke
Rain
34th out of 46 books — 12 voters

More lists with this book...

Catherine
A very different type of detective novel, I enjoyed the philosophising and somewhat negative attitude of the main character. I am slowly working my way through all the Van der Valk stories.
Col
Synopsis/blurb......
This was the end of the story that had started 'Once upon a time, in a rainy country, there was a king...' The end had not happened in a rainy country, but on a bone-dry Spanish hillside, three hundred metres from where Van der Valk had left a lot of blood, some splintered bone, a few fragments of gut, and a ten-seventy-five Mauser rifle bullet.
No one had broken any laws. But a handsome, middle-aged millionaire had disappeared with a naked girl. And Van der Valk was given the...more
Nikki
Nicolas Freeling's THE KING OF A RAINY COUNTRY was the 1967 Edgar winner for Best Novel. I was already reading a lot of mysteries in 1966, and Freeling's name was familiar to me from library shelves, but for some reason I'd never picked one up. In this case, I think I will need to read at least one more of the Van der Valk books before I can figure out exactly what I think! So far, 6 out of 14 Edgar winners have been series books, if you count Ed Lacy's ROOM TO SWING (he wrote a sequel many year...more
Jon
A slim novel whose one claim to fame is winning the Edger Award for best mystery in 1967. The book follows Van Der Valk, a Dutch police inspector, who is ordered by his superiors to find a missing millionaire. There is little here that is mysterious and the thin plot is driven by some unbelievable coincidences instead of detailed police procedural. For example, during a phone conversation, a colleague in Germany mentions a missing person case he is working on. It seems that a 17 year old girl ha...more
Mikee
The New York Times loved it. The TLS loved it. I didn't like it. Too complex. Too convoluted. Too neat. I will take van der Wetering any day.
Sean Brennan
A good Very European crime novel, nicely paced, highly enjoyable plot and at times quite insightful. Nice.
Bernard Norcott-mahany
This book won the Edgar, so I figured it was a safe bet for my introduction to Freling. Freling's detective upbraids himself with being a dull methodical Dutchman -- the novel read as something that would feature a dull methodical Dutchman. There was some interesting material in the last few pages, but it was not enough.
Davis
Freeling had a life as a chef and, during a jail sentence for demonstrating, wrote his first van der valk mystery. Later he killed off van der valk, had his wife fill in for a bit and then created Castang. He is gthe best of the European mystery writers (Yes even better than Simenon and van de Vettering).
Bill
Not the greatest mystery I've read, but it was interesting enough to keep me going. Ultimately I liked it. I don't know if I'll read any other van der Valk mysteries, but I'm glad I read this one.
Sebastian
Sebastian marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Zscribbles
Zscribbles marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Tjo
Tjo marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Bob
Bob marked it as to-read
May 09, 2014
Michelle Debardeleben
Michelle Debardeleben marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
NancyHelen
NancyHelen marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Neerja
Neerja marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2014
Olanrewaju Barakat
Olanrewaju Barakat marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Nicolas Freeling born Nicolas Davidson, (March 3, 1927 - July 20, 2003) was a British crime novelist, best known as the author of the Van der Valk series of detective novels which were adapted for transmission on the British ITV network by Thames Television during the 1970s.

Freeling was born in London, but travelled widely, and ended his life at his long-standing home at Grandfontaine to the west...more
More about Nicolas Freeling...
Love in Amsterdam Gun Before Butter Because of the Cats The Kitchen and the Cook Double-Barrel