Start by marking “We're Getting On” as Want to Read:
We're Getting On

We're Getting On

Fiction. WE'RE GETTING ON explores youth, dissolution, and the impact technology has on the modern world, and what happens when you try to live completely off the grid. The book follows five people, all in varying states of flux. This group of youth, through a series of linked events, decides one summer to move into the Nevada desert. Once there, they intend to abandon ...more
Published July 1st 2010 by Flatmancrooked (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about We're Getting On, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We're Getting On

Jesus Garcia
Sep 01, 2010 Jesus Garcia rated it really liked it
Imagine a world where the measure of success is failure to disturb. Let’s curb our impulse to bother, to impact with our presence, everyone and everything. Let’s pretend we’re not here. Let’s disappear.

First, we’ll need to check out, lock our keys in the car, push the car off a cliff. Smell the burning down there? It’s the scent of our need to disengage. And we will: no more ignition, connection, innovation, invention. Let’s be done with all -tions. Verbs speak louder. Let us be.

Now: abandon, le
Steve
Jun 25, 2010 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
I read the edition of We're Getting On with a seed paper cover, but also with only a single novella in it rather than a few other related stories included in the longer edition (I think). Rather than dismiss that "gimmick," though, I think it matters to the text -- it's a story about a narrator determined to undo not only his life, but the history of human progress and civilization as he understands them, including human language. So the book being designed for destruction matters beyond mere gi ...more
J.A.
Jun 26, 2010 J.A. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
from http://bigother.com/2010/06/26/james-...

I received Jame Kaelan’s signed, first (seeded cover) edition of WE’RE GETTING ON, & was blown away. I had read some excerpts of this book early on & was worried, just in part, that perhaps the Zero Emission Tour & seeded-cover (while genius & wonderful) would overshadow the book or make more of the story than it actually was. Not the case, not at all.

Holding the seeded cover is a tremendous feeling, the art & titling are letterpre
Full Stop
Jun 13, 2014 Full Stop added it
Shelves: spring-2011

Review by David Backer

(1) Personal Situation of Author Re: Novel-Under-Review

I’m writing this review on a computer in New York City, 9 January 2011. I’m wearing one sweatshirt, one button-down shirt, one t-shirt, two socks, one pair of gray pants, one pair of underwear, one pair of glasses (transition lenses). I’m sitting in a heated apartment. I ate chinese food for dinner (takeout). Four lamps are on. The computer is a MacBook. It’s connected to the Inte
Andy
Sep 27, 2010 Andy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
James Kaelan's We're Getting On is a very absorbing novella which is quite clearly intended to pay tribute to the work of Samuel Beckett. Readers familiar with Beckett's fiction and theater pieces will recognize multitudes of allusions, themes, images and uses of language directly referencing the older writer's oeuvre. The title itself refers to the famous final line from The Unnamable: "I can't go on, I'll go on." and the book begins with an epigraph from the same work.

Aside from its obvious fu
Alison
Sep 06, 2014 Alison rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014, short-stories
I don't really know what to say as I don't really know what I just read. I got this book (signed with the seeded cover) from Powells in the unknown/self published section. It doesn't have a description on it so I had no idea what I was getting into, but I read the first page and decided to buy it. It's very short, as other reviewers have mentioned. I think that it has a lot of potential to be profound and send a message, but there were too many passages where the narrator rambles about seemingly ...more
Elijah Kleman
Jul 23, 2014 Elijah Kleman rated it it was ok
I found everything from the interactions between characters, to the methods of the protagonist to be utterly pointless. The author grasps at straws to make some sort of profound statement, but in the end it was a jumbled mess. At 94 pages it's worth spending an hour on, simply because Kaelan isn't a bad author. For most, however, "We're Getting On" will come across as a perverse and senseless short story.
Andrew
Jan 17, 2013 Andrew rated it it was ok
I really enjoyed the middle story with the two people conversing across the alley way. That could have been a lovely novel in itself. On the whole it was very well written but I have to say I found it all a little too gross/disturbing for me. I get that that was kind of the point, but just not my thing.
Kassie
Jan 05, 2015 Kassie rated it liked it
this book was very weird.

its one that you need to read to understand why.

It's very "cult"-esque and the narrator gets more unreliable as the story goes on
David
Aug 22, 2010 David rated it it was amazing
Exactly what I needed. I tore through this novella in one sitting, completely engrossed. I have several people that I need to pass this book on to in order to get their thoughts. Fantastic.
Jana
Aug 19, 2013 Jana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Beautiful edition with lovely handmade paper cover.
Luia
Luia rated it really liked it
May 07, 2013
Merany Eldridge
Merany Eldridge rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2010
Nicole
Nicole rated it it was ok
Jul 23, 2011
Becky
Becky rated it it was ok
Aug 13, 2011
Matt
Matt rated it liked it
Oct 02, 2010
Lilly
Lilly rated it liked it
Jun 18, 2011
Crystal Clark
Crystal Clark rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2011
Sean Mcpherson
Sean Mcpherson rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2010
Jason Jordan
Jason Jordan rated it liked it
Jun 26, 2010
Beth
Beth rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2013
Ryan
Ryan rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2010
Jim O'Loughlin
Jim O'Loughlin rated it really liked it
May 18, 2013
Danielle
Danielle rated it it was ok
Feb 18, 2015
David Gutowski
David Gutowski rated it really liked it
Jul 04, 2010
Michael O'Connell
Michael O'Connell rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2011
Tobias
Tobias rated it liked it
Jun 15, 2010
Josh
Josh rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2010
Ehren Meditz
Ehren Meditz rated it did not like it
Jul 01, 2012
Heather
Heather rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2011