Start by marking “Thunder Cave (Jacob Lansa, #1)” as Want to Read:
Thunder Cave (Jacob Lansa, #1)

Thunder Cave (Jacob Lansa #1)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  534 ratings  ·  57 reviews
A family reunion turns into the adventure of a lifetime when Jacob Lansa travels to Kenya in search of his father.
Published April 1st 1997 by Disney-Hyperion (first published January 1st 1900)

To ask other readers questions about Thunder Cave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thunder Cave

Ellis Stice
Monica
This book has the dumbest looking cover ever, hence the reason NONE of my students would read it last year. I even had a hard time starting it! But once I did, it was excellent. Jacob goes on a quest to Kenya in search of his zoologist father who is trying to save elephants from poaching. He is a smart but realistic main character who you really find yourself rooting for. The author offers great visual descriptions of the African landscape as well. If you like adventure novels, this one is for y ...more
Letizia
I just loved this book when I was a kid, and about a year ago I bought it in order to read it in english and - needless to say - again, I loved it. The protagonist is a kid so full of ideas, courage and - well - let's just say he knows how to survive, and I recall being fascinated about his abilities. And the african landscape, the search for elephants, basically everything kept me breathless and made me live the adventure along with the protagonist.
Also, it teaches a lot about the problems of A
Nina Cevallos
As I read Thunder Cave by Roland Smith, I felt feelings I had never experienced before. Dullness was one in this case. This novel has no creativity. A simple story about a boy visiting South Africa has no plot. I felt utter boredom. It has no details that help you visualize the story. The vocabulary is simple and it does not indulge you at all. Roland Smith wrote this book when he was in a state of dreariness. He needs to take classes on how to write properly.The book is lifeless and horrific. I ...more
Annie
A good adventure book!
Christy
When Jacob fulfills a promise to his grandfather, Taw, and travels with him back to the Hopi reservation where he was born, he gets a lot more than a quiet trip to the desert. He quickly discovers that the Hopi on the reservation are divided over a lobo, a Mexican wolf, that people say is hunting on the reservation. There are some who want to kill the lobo, and others who...more When Jacob fulfills a promise to his grandfather, Taw, and travels with him back to the Hopi reservation where he was ...more
Jan
Jacob's parents are divorced and he hasn't seen his dad for a couple of years, since his mom remarried. His dad writes often, though, from his research camp in Kenya where he studies elephant behavior. Jacob's life was pretty predictable until the day his mom was hit by a car. She died that night. Jacob's stepdad was offered a job in Honduras, and he doesn't want to be responsible for Jacob, so he plans to send him away -- not to his dad, but to relatives Jacob barely knows.

Jacob's opportunity t
Tony S
Thunder Cave
By Roland Smith
256 Pages
Realistic Fiction

After Jacob Lansa's mother dies after a devistating car accident, he leaves his stepfather and New York all together in hopes to find his father who is researching elephants in a remote area in Kenya, but perhaps he is there for more reasons than he thinks.

I really enjoyed Thunder Cave because it is an amazing story about someone's time in Kenya that is the perfect comination of comedy, adventure, action, mystery and suspence. Smith uses the a
Will Sullivan
Thunder Cave by Roland Smith is an awesome book! It is filled with action and suspense, which I love. Thunder Cave is about a boy named Jacob Lansa who has just lost his mother in a running accident, and to make things worse, he has to live with his stepfather, Sam, that couldn't care less about him. His real father, Robert Lansa, is studying elephants in Kenya, which has just suffered a drought. So, Jacob decides to go to Kenya to find his father, but what he doesn't know is Kenya is filled wit ...more
Christina
May 20, 2008 Christina rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: my-top-favorites
This book is definitely a good one. It was a book my local book chat picked out to discuss. A few days before the chat, I still hadn't read it, so I picked it up before I went to bed...and you can guess the rest. I couldn't put it down! From being robbed, to meeting a lion face to face, young Jacob Lansa is on the wildest adventure of his life. He sets out to find his father in Kenya and ends up helping a masai named Supeet, to bring the rains back to Kenya and save the great elephants from the ...more
Paula Mckinney
One of my favorite books as a child.
Brandy
Nov 22, 2009 Brandy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: young adult- boys especially
Shelves: young-adult
Another great novel by Roland Smith. He's such a great author- exciting, adventurous. He's the perfect young adult author. I liked the main characters- Jake and Supeet, especially Supeet, the Masai warrior. He has a great message for young people- simple living. The ending was a bit abrupt and left me feeling like the story was unfinished. Another book?

Also- love that Roland Smith creates scenes and circumstances that are believable. Jake in Kenya- gets mugged and beaten, almost eaten by lions.
Feras Naser
It was a very good book every page had an adventure. I couldn't put the book down and I don't get into books very much but this book was very entertaining I had a very good time reading this book. It has adventure friendship action everything you want in a book this book has. You will be very impressed in this book you wont be able to put it down. Its one of my favorite book I have ever read.
Arthur
Thunder cave is an awesome book if you are into African animals.It takes a sad turn when the main character Jake finds that his mother dies in a car crash. Then he flees to Africa to find his father who is tracking elephants in the bush. The story has adventure as well as poachers,bandits and unlikely friends as Jake tries tofind his father and survive in the African bush.
Calli
I liked Elephant Run better, but this one was very interesting as well. As Jacob sets off to search for his father (who is trying to protect a special group of elephants from poachers) in Kenya, he hooks up with a Masai named Supeet. Supeet teaches him a lot about how to look at things with new eyes.
Steve Mickelson
I enjoyed this book very much and read it with my boys as well. Jacob Lansa is a likeable character and Smith does a great job of putting the reader in Africa. Jacob's adventures are realistic and believable and Jake makes a great hero as he saves elephants and finds his dad.
Andrew James
The adevhture of a boy whose life is changed when he loses his mother (car accident), now tries to find his father in Africa.
Jacob Lansa, a 14 year old boy, tries to survive the wilderness along with the help of a Masai to reach his father. VERY EPIC
Lauren
Jul 03, 2008 Lauren rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Lauren by: melissa meyers
Shelves: fiction
i love finding good boy fiction. i can just picture my brother reading this book when he was younger and loving it. a great story about family and protecting endagered species and the culture of africa.
Anthony
Mar 11, 2008 Anthony rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants to protect wildlife
I think the reason I enjoyed reading this book so much is because it talks of a boy who goes to Africa to see his father who is trying to save elphants from poachers.
Alysia
This was a cute book. I liked the adventure. It didn't totally suck me in, but it was a cute read. I think my son would probably like it even more.
Bonnie Ingersoll
The first novel I remember being truly obsessed with as a child. My little adventurer coming out of me - totally was in love with the story and setting.
Olivia
Nov 29, 2009 Olivia is currently reading it
This book was an assignment to read. I guess it's ok, but not my favorite. I don't know if the other people this book was assigned to like it.
Lynnek
May 16, 2011 Lynnek rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
A great "boy book". Kept Remi's attention and he was anxious to see what happened next. We will read the next books in the series for sure!
Chris
It was a really enjoyable and adventurous book. My favorite character is Jacob Lansa. I would recommend this book for young students.
Evan Magelssen
One of my all time favorites!! For any youthful (and even elder) adventure seekers this Willis one you won't wanna put down.
Jean
Pretty exciting middle school novel about Africa. The plot never dragged and it included a lot of good information.
Alex PRATT
i wish i could give it more than 5 stars. i have read this book more than three time so good a must read
Andria
I do like how all of the different series seem to have related characters from one of the other series.
Madison
This book was good. We read it at school. Some parts are weird but other than that I loved it!
  • The Midnight Fox
  • Daily Life in Medieval Times
  • A Part of the Sky
  • Forever Amber Brown
  • My Name Is Brian Brain
Roland Smith is an American author of young adult fiction as well as nonfiction books for children.
Smith was born in Portland, Oregon, and graduated from Portland State University and, following a part-time job at the Oregon Zoo in Portland, began a 20-year career as a zookeeper, both at the Oregon Zoo and the Point Defiance Zoo in Tacoma, Washington. After working to save wildlife following the E
More about Roland Smith...
Shatterproof (The 39 Clues: Cahills vs. Vespers, #4) Peak Independence Hall (I, Q, #1) Elephant Run Cryptid Hunters (Marty and Grace, #1)