The Actor's Art and Craft: William Esper Teaches the Meisner Technique

The Actor's Art and Craft: William Esper Teaches the Meisner Technique

4.53 of 5 stars 4.53  ·  rating details  ·  99 ratings  ·  18 reviews
William Esper, one of the leading acting teachers of our time, explains and extends Sanford Meisner's legendary technique, offering a clear, concrete, step-by-step approach to becoming a truly creative actor.

Esper worked closely with Meisner for seventeen years and has spent decades developing his famous program for actor's training. The result is a rigorous system of exer...more
Published December 10th 2008 by Anchor (first published January 1st 2008)

Eric Kibler
This book leads you through the course of training that many of the best actors go through. Esper's course is a continuation of the line begun by Stanislavsky in the late 19th century. The "method" school. Stanislavsky begat the American Group Theater, which begat Meisner, who begat Esper and others. Esper is one of the Master Teachers of the craft.

Whereas the method originally required actors to fully live their characters, and to invent whole lives and memories for them, the modern actor uses...more
Whit
This was so much closer to my natural acting technique than I thought it would be. There were so many things about emotional truth that resonated with me. I loved the format of the book as different sessions in a class, working your way through in an orderly fashion, creating building blocks. Certainly thought provoking.
Elisabeth
This book brought me back to my acting classes at Rutgeres. Bill was my director twice and he is so insightful. This book is a must-read for any actor interested in Meisner technique. Brilliant!
David Fielding
A truly brilliant and inspiring book. If you study acting or are curious about what a real acting class is about... read this book.
Lukas
My god. This book is so good. I wish that I had read this book before I took Meisner in college. And I would encourage anyone about to take a Meisner class to do so. However I think that perhaps the sophomore in college me may not have been ready for this book. I've recently discovered, through the books I'm reading now that I had tried to read before, that I'm a firm believer in the idea that you can't read certain books until you are ready to read them, and to try before you are ready might be...more
Sasha
Incredibly inspirational!

Reading this book really gave me an insight on what learning the Meisner technique at the Esper studio is like. I love how most of what Esper is teaching is basically guiding the actor to discover themselves in a way they probably wouldn't have if they had decided on another career path.
This book is about truly living and how through your true self, you will discover how great of an artist you can become. I was really inspired to continue to pursue my dreams of being a...more
Jackie
FINALLY! I understood the MEANING behind some of the strange exercises we do. I also learned the method of choice for me after going through Strasburg nightmares! I felt like I was right in the class and learned so much about the Meisner technigue. I felt like someone finally GETS IT!
Dennis Wynn
This book is a must read with many others if you are currently pursuing a career in performing arts. Sanford Meisner is one of many technique teachers, also including Lee Strasberg, and Stella Adler. He gets into detail on emotion and the reality of doing.
Umcdade
Found this book extremely helpful in understanding Meisner technique. The exercises are described as they are being played out by students of the craft, so their reactions are also good indicators of how effective the work is for the actor.
Jonelle
I absolutely loved this book and the examples provided for each technique was clear and powerful. With or without acting experience this book will reveal the process to you in an easy manner.
Jason
May 11, 2009 Jason marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I've skipped around in the book so far while preparing for teaching lessons. Seems very promising! I've found some great insights so far.
Danielle
Much better than Meisner's own book, though I am told by people who studied with him that Esper is kinder in the book than he is in person.
Dwayne Ackley
A great book about the Miesner technique in Acting. A good book for any director/actor considering a career in Film.
Anil Dokkari
Unless you are in the Meisner class for atleast 2 month dont read it... but once u dig in it its just amazing
Josh
Not as good as Meisner's book, but also clarified certain things that book didn't.
Maria
Forces actors & "real people" to question the genuine human spirit.
Kelly
A fantastic companion to Sanford Meisner on Acting.
Faith Chua
Faith Chua marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
John Rackham
John Rackham marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Kayla Green
Kayla Green marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Josh
Josh is currently reading it
Jul 07, 2014
Timothy Gauntt jr.
Timothy Gauntt jr. marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Ken Ferguson
Ken Ferguson marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Nuelle
Nuelle is currently reading it
Jul 01, 2014
Taylor
Taylor is currently reading it
Jul 01, 2014
Reid Nicewonder
Reid Nicewonder marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
The Actor's Guide to Creating a Character: William Esper Teaches the Meisner Technique The Actor's Guide to Creating a Character: William Esper Teaches the Meisner Technique The Actor's Guide to Creating a Character: William Esper Teaches the Meisner Technique