Mojave Crossing (Sacketts)

Mojave Crossing (The Sacketts #9)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  1,975 ratings  ·  58 reviews
In Mojave Crossing, Louis L’Amour takes William Tell Sackett on a treacherous passage from the Arizona goldfields to the booming town of Los Angeles.

Tell Sackett was no ladies’ man, but he could spot trouble easily enough. And Dorinda Robiseau was the kind of trouble he wanted to avoid at any time—even more so when he had thirty pounds of gold in his saddlebags and a long...more
Published (first published 1964)

To ask other readers questions about Mojave Crossing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mojave Crossing

An Odd1
ISBN from 1980 Bantam https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
A mystery strings along until the very last page. The surprise whammy makes me want to start from the beginning and read all over again. I have already re-read many L'Amour, and not tired yet of real heroes. (view spoiler)

"All the Sacketts, even those no-account Sacketts from Clinch Mountain, run to boy-ch...more
Kayla
This one wasn't as good as the others. It took me a while to finish it.
Becca brown
I personally didn't think this book was well written compared to Louis L'Amour's other novels. Part of it might be because I hadn't read the Sackett series (because i didn't know it was part of the series) but I think that I didn't like it mainly because I didn't enjoy the characters and wasn't really interested in the story. Sure, there was some exciting parts, but over all I thought it was a waist of time. I'd much rather read on of his better books.
Travis Haselton
I liked the book. I grew up on a mining property deep in the mojave (Aztec wash to be exact)All of the spring and washes in this book are real and are described very well. I can say that because they essentially where my backyard. The rest of the book is a great example of Louis Lamour's sence of action, Honesty, honor, and historical precision. Great and short read!
Matthew Collins
This was the first western I have read and I was not disappointed. I have always loved the genre in movie form so I held high expectations for it in book form and Louis L'Amour didn't disappoint me. In book you don't quite get the nuance you do in movies, but you get a whole different feel that emmerses you into the west in a much more complete way. Louis's characters are very well done. William Tell Sackett is not the standard cowboy hero stereotype in the sense that he is not the tall dark and...more
Bookworm Smith
Why is it that good hearted cowboys always seem to get dragged into trouble by dark hearted women?

This is another novel where one of the Sackett boys goes out of his way to help a lady and ends up in a whole heap o' trouble - gunfights, suicidal desert crossings, saloon brawls, etc - because of her. This time Tell helps out a lady named Dorinda. She looks innocent enough at the beginning. Just a lady who needs some help getting to California. It quickly turns into a situation where Tell and this...more
Steven Brandt
William Tell Sackett is heading for Los Angeles. He’s got thirty pounds of gold to sell and is willing to ride the extra miles to get a better price. But no one can ride with that much gold and not attract a certain amount of trouble.

The trouble this time comes in the form of a black-eyed girl named Durinda. She’s beautiful, and she’s obviously on the run from something. Always having a soft spot for hard luck cases, Tell agrees to take her to Los Angeles with him almost before he realizes what...more
Melissa Boggs
My daughter and I listened to this audio book this evening together. Louis L'Amour books always have a good story, usually one with a twist. This one happened to be part of the Sackett Series. We both enjoyed it very much.
Austin Freeman
I liked this book very well. This book fit my interest well. This book is about a man who is leaving a town to go sell his gold in California. This witch women walks up and asks if she can come along. But there is something suspicious about her that he wants to figure out. So they take off early because he finds out that there is somebody chasing her. Then one day in the desert he goes and looks for water and gets shot at. So he crawls back to camp to see if she is alright and shes not there, ne...more
Chuck
This is the ninth book of seventeen in his "Sackett" series. This particular book was particularly entertaining as the "Sackett's" have now transgresed from Great Britain to Ireland to Newfoundland to Jamaica to the Carolinas to Texas, New Mexico and now California. Somehow This book describes in detail many places in southern California that I have been to, but puts you there over 100 years ago. I don't feel politically correct or sufficiently intellectual if I review A Louis L'Amour book, but...more
Gary
Not the best of the series so far. Long on description, short on action...or direction, for that matter. It was all over the place-very unlike Mr. L'Amour.
Lobug
Same as almost every other Louis L'Amour book, but every once in a while it's fun to listen to/read. ;)
Chad
Picked this book up at the library and enjoyed the 4+ hours of listening to this really good western story. Mojave Crossing is the 9th book in the Sackett series by Louis L’Amour. Louie L’Amour is the best when it comes to describing the west with such great detail and I enjoy all of his works because of this. When you feel that you need to dust off your clothes after reading one of his books you know he drew you into the story a little bit. This is yet another one of his books that you will not...more
Marsha Lynn
Still enjoying this series.
I remember getting into an argument with someone about this, because I knew this came after Sackett, but I couldn't tell what happened to Ange, and I couldn't understand what Tell was doing talking to Dorinda, all things considered. My friend suggested that Tell was cheating, and I denied this furiously. Tell doesn't cheat. Sackett's don't cheat. I have never read a Louis L'Amour book in which the lead character cheats. It's just impossible. I was very happy to see myself vindicated.
Heath Wilcock
This was for my Western Lit. class. I was pretty excited to jump into the Western genre and I wasn't let down with this book. Louis L'Amour is a great storyteller. The story was your typical Western but it made me turn pages rather quickly. It was dopey at times and it's filled with the stereotypical Western motifs, but it was tons of fun and the main character, Tell Sackett, had some of the most funny stoic cowboy lines. It was an escape read and a fun one at that.
Peg Lotvin
Reading the Sackett epoch, not in order and not one after the other. L'Amour is really a pretty fair writer. Plots are straight-forwarded, maybe thin even, but the attention to detail in the landscape and geography of place and what each character notices and uses to advance the story is remarkable. I'd actually like to give it another star, but am embarassed to.
Craig
Continues the story of William Tell Sackett, older brother to Orrin and Tyrel Sackett of Tennessee, as he crosses the Mojave desert from Arizona to California. Deception and intrigue cross his path as he deals with a fierce desert, outlaws, a wily woman, pirates turned ranchers and other challenges. Not L'Amour at his best, but OK.
Gerhard
When you find a L'Amour that you don't have you buy it and read it immediately! Even if the book was printed when you were born it's still a great read. Absolutely love Louis L'Amour and especially the Sackets, read them all when I was still at school. So great to find an 'old' friend and read it in one lazy cold afternoon.
Karen
Louis really got caught up with Tell Sackett. Another book about him. Interesting. I like his dry wit as he tries to talk down a hairy situation. I liked the way he dealt with the old pirate, that he was honest about things and is a generally good guy....that shoots people when he needs to.
Jeff Dickison
Very good L'Amour western as Tell Sackett crosses the Mojave to get to L.A. and his gold that was stolen from him. Adventure ensues. The gunfight with Sandeman Dyer is one of the most intense scenarios ever written by L'Amour. Recommended to fans of western fiction.
Fredrick Danysh
Tell Sackett is hired to transport gold from the mines of Arizona to California. He is no ladies man. At Mojave Crossing a lady asks for his help. Althought he doesn't trust her he renders his aid. He must also contend with an outlaw bearing the Sackett name.
Jay Adams
Another good western read where the guy in the white hat always comes out on top. I'm reading through the Sackett series (17 books I believe) in chronological order, so Mustang Man is next on the list. These books are light, entertaining reading!
louisa
Pirates, black-eyed witch-women, horse thieves, haciendas, shady bankers, and the not terribly bright William Tell Sackett populate this eight (ninth? 11th? sources disagree) installment of L'Amour's Sackett Saga. Narrated by David Straithairn.
Bill Potter
The first Louis L’amour book I read and it was a delight. The action moves quickly and was surprisingly vivid. The plot was surprisingly more complex than I expected. Foreshadowing was excellent and the book was excellent.
Dale Rosso
Another great story by L'Amour.
Kathy  Petersen
William Tell Sacket escorts a black-eyed hellion of a woman to the little outpost of Los Angeles and winds up in all kinds of trouble and finally finds a partner instead of an enemy in one of the no-account Sacketts.
Adl2614
Excellent! They just keep getting better! A lot of California history too! can't wait to reread it so I an pay more attn to the geography and facts about true historical events that took place in my home state.
Michael Kennard
Read most of Louis Lamour's books when I was in my late teens and early twenties. They are important to me as they were some of the first books that got me into the reading habit. For that I shall be forever grateful
Christy
One of the best L'Amour novels! It hits the ground running! When the Black-eyed Witch Woman meets Tell Sackett and turns him into "Seven Kinds of a Fool," you'll be glad you came along for the ride.
  • The Last Trail
  • The Last Mountain Man (Mountain Man, #1)
  • Hombre
  • Nevada! (Wagons West, #8)
  • Comanche Moon
  • For the Temple
  • The Searchers
  • Journey of Honor
  • Who Is Bugs Potter?
  • Appaloosa (Virgil Cole & Everett Hitch, #1)
  • Shane
  • Edge of Night
-Wikipedia
More about Louis L'Amour...
Last of the Breed The Walking Drum Sackett's Land (The Sacketts, #1) Hondo The Lonesome Gods