Shantorian (Trackers, #2)

Shantorian (Trackers #2)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  301 ratings  ·  50 reviews
Bestselling author Patrick Carman pushes the vbook to the next level with this thrilling book/video/web experience. In the 21st century landscape of bits and bytes, everyone leaves a digital footprint ... even the most advanced cyber criminals. And that's where the Trackers come in. Four tech-savvy kids armed with high-tech video cameras and esoteric coding skills, the Tra...more
Published April 1st 2011 by Scholastic Press (first published January 1st 2011)

IndyPL Kids Book Blog
Adam, Finn, Lewis and Emily (The Trackers) are back in another high-tech adventure, this time getting involved with a secret group that is trying to stop the world’s most dangerous hacker, Shantorian. The problem is, the organization is SO top secret even the FBI doesn’t know about it.

With the help of their new secretive partners, Lazlo and Zara, The Trackers set up a complex online heist to make Shantorian reveal his identity and whereabouts. As the heist unfolds, alliances and friendship start...more
Amy Lin
Nicola Mansfield
Reason for Reading: next in the series.

Book One left us with four tech savvy teens being imprisoned and interrogated about a major computer hacker's crime. None of the teens were talking, as planned, leaving the talking up to Adam Henderson, their leader. Book Two continues on with that interrogation bringing in the name of the world's most infamous computer hacker, Shantorian. Whom no one has ever seen or knows anything about except that he always leaves his "weird eyed kid" signature behind hi...more
Andy Jiang
I've just finished reading the book Shantorian, the second book of the Tracker's series, by Patrick Carmen. This book is the continuation of the first Trackers book about Adam Henderson, the leader of the Trackers team. Adam is convicted of stealing billions of dollars from banks and now he has to explain himself in an interview with an agent. A man and a girl tricked Adam into opening banks with his programming skills(and the raymond disk) because he thought he was going to help catch a nationa...more
Sornnujah
Adam Henderson and the trackers are brought into a FBI office, accused of stealing billions of dollars. Adam tries to prove his innocence to the Agent, but she doesn't believe him at all. Throughout the book, he explains how he was brought to ISD and how the man who brought him in Lazlo, who was supposedly trying to stop a mastermind named Shantorian, was the criminal. Then Lazlo is brought in , and tells everybody that it was actually Zara, a girl who acted like she worked for Lazlo was all beh...more
Sharon
I read this last summer on a roadtrip, and totally forgot about it since then--it honestly wasn't all that memorable.

Being on a roadtrip, I didn't have a chance to watch the videos, so the description/summary thing of them in the back was SOOO nice. :)

This book was more confusing than the last one. People seemed to chance identities multiple times, and we never really knew who was the badguy until the very very very end, and then the MC off and says he pretty much agrees with the badguy. What?!

I...more
Chris
Every kid wants to go to camp. Every kid finds camp exciting; even for the Trackers. The Trackers are four friends with one thing in common; being technology wizard/geeks. Adam, Emily, Finn, and Lewis are invited to a technology camp. They are dropped off by their parents at an old Boeing airplane assembly hangar outside Seattle. And then, camp begins with a real world quest, track Shantorian, the world's best computer hacker, before Shantorian shuts down the Internet and steals billions of doll...more
Amalia
This is the second (and I think, final) book in the Trackers series by Patrick Carman. If you like a good puzzle, this series is it!

While our brains are working double time to unravel the mystery(ies), our consciences are brought into play. What are we doing with our lives? How are we raising the next generation - and ourselves? In short, what is the world coming to? How much do we let our children run their own lives? How much technology is too much?

We hear about technology addictions and I thi...more
Garrett B.
This book was very exciting and will interest anybody. The Trackers book two Shantorian was amazing and the videos were amazingly done by Patrick Carman. I felt this book was realistic fiction because it could happen, but most likely wouldn’t. The Trackers always kept you on your toes and had a twist around every corner. This is the second book in the Trackers series.
The main characters are Adam, Lewis, Finn, Emily, Zara, The Agent and Lazlo; they are all computer wizzes except the agent. The...more
Christina
The action continues as Adam, hacker leader of The Trackers, tells his story to Agent Ganz.The agent believes he and his friends stole a billion dollars by hacking into bank accounts, but Adam insists they didn't do it, they only set up the possibility in order to trap the notorious hacker known as Shantorian. This book is full of surprises, betrayals, doublecrosses, and electronic spy games, and watching the videos online is a fun extension of the story (though I like having the video transcrip...more
Michelle
Won this in a first reads giveaway and can't wait to start it!!

Good follow up to the 1st book-definitely left it wide open for yet another one. Very hard to visualize from the transcripts what the videos should look like. May change my rating once I see the videos.
Videos were finally working and I was able to watch them. I would increase my rating by maybe 1/2 a star. I was a little disappointed in this series after reading his Skeleton Creek series. I guess I was expecting too much. I will reco...more
Tony Keefer
I read the first book in this series a while ago and when I got book 2, I had to promptly hand it over to a student in my class. One thing led to another and I finally got it back on the last day of school. I think Patrick Carman is really onto to a big idea with blending text and web based movies. I loved the plot of this book as well ( actually the combination of the 2 books).

Overall, the idea of 4 kids being able to use their brains and tech skills to outsmart neat everyone else is the reason...more
Joshua
I really like this series complete with videos, excitement, high tech though I think it has a short shelflife... However I do think it will be a robust shelflife as it is a great read!

That said I think this two book series could have easily been put into one book... 133 pages plus 30 appendix pages at the cost of a full price book? Maybe as an e-book priced at 7.99 or so... Or two paperbacks at 7 or 8.99... Its a series hc trend that troubles me... I can see the purpose in short books for reluct...more
I didn't like this one as much as the first Trackers book. Maybe I've gotten tired of the interrogation format, or maybe the character of Adam seemed to dominate this book too much (we heard very little about the other 3 trackers). The ending (Adam's email to Agent Ganz) was downright preachy and did not sound true to the character to me. Would a true tech geek really 'confess' that his generation was too plugged in and that he secretly wished all technology would crash? It just felt like an adu...more
Janice Crespo
Most children's books will leave you bored as an adult reading them (I always try to read what my girls were reading to talk about it and make sure it was appropriate). This book is great. The reading was a pleasure - a real page turner - and the basic theme I received reading it was that no matter your age, you can make a big difference in the world. If you have a child and want to boost them self-esteem and show them there are no limits ahead of them, put this series in their hands and read wi...more
Shaeley Santiago
The second (and final?) book in the Trackers series continues the story of the group working for the Internet Safety Division (ISD) to track down Shantorian who threatens to turn off the internet. Like the first book, the story is told through an interview between Adam and FBI Agent Ganz with links to online videos of the trackers.

This book gets a little more philosophical about the internet and addresses issues of friendship vs. technology. #bookaday
Jackie
This time, Adam, Emily, Finn, and Lewis team up with Lazlo and Zara to track down Shantorian, the world's most feared hacker. Adam and Zara manage to perform some high-tech wizardry and divert billions of dollars of funds from world banks. Not just a game anymore.

But, they all were set up...the question is, by whom? Shantorian is a fast-paced thriller which keeps you on the edge of your seat and your mind working overtime.
MizziQ
Intresting. For right now I'm still more fond of the first one...but I guess that happens a lot. The 2nd book left plenty of room for cliffhangers and unresolved plots but still finished off the book ok. It was pretty good, interesting, and had all the awesome characters that were in #1. I do have to say though the backrounds of the characters carry this one along more than anything else. True, also, for the previous one.
Cherie
Genre: Science Fiction
Copyright: 2011
Thoughts: This book wraps up the plethora of loose ends from the first book. The two books are certainly better together, as the first one really doesn't have an ending. The last minute switch of some of the characters (Lazlo & Zara) is not entirely convincing, but might be substantiated in further books. Adam's last comment in the letter about unplugging is truer than most people think.
Karen Arendt
Quite a gripping continuation of the Trackers series. Adam and his friends, Emily, Finn, and Lewis, appear to have been set up to take the fall, or have they? Not everyone is what they appear to be. The interview format with online video footage adds an exciting element to the story. Should appeal to fans of the first book. There is the possibility of another book, given the way the story ends...
Geneva
My actual star rating is 3.5 stars. While I really liked the book and it kept up the suspense of the first installment it did get a bit preachy about the value of friendship and the "dark" side of technology at the end of the book. However, overall this is a great book and I really enjoyed the multi-media way in which the reader could interact with the story.
Fahad
Brilliant book, loved how its set out in an interview style and i especially loved the level of description provided. On top of that the story line was amazing with a twist at the end that was definitely not expected. Would love to know whether Patrick Carman expects to continue the series!
Julie Suzanne
Exciting and satisfying second and final (I'm assuming) novel in the Trackers series. This was short enough that it most certainly should have been in Trackers 1 instead of making it a 2-book series, but clever marketing tactic. Awesome novel for techie kids.
Lanica
To me, book one and two should be read at the same time. It's only one book, broken into student-sized chunks. Please read my review of book one, my recommendations are the same for both. Buy one, buy both. They belong in school libraries for all ages.
Bryang6
Trackers 2 was a good but it's kind of hard to understand so they need to do a better job putting stuff together. It was interesting then got a lot harder to understand I hope trackers 3 is good if there is one.
Claire
Adam's story continues as the quartet, now working with Zara and Lazlo... are they double crossed? I will have to keep reading to find out.
I agree with Adam though, I don't like this detective yet.
Whitney
The first one was better. I just wanted to know what happened. I got a little lost in the language, and I was bored through part of it. I have some students who will love it, but just not my type of book.
I was really looking forward to this sequel and totally loved it! These are such interesting books, told from an investigation and including pieces of video along the way. I read it in 2 hours.
Nina Wagner
And again, fast book, interesting concept, not the greatest when executed. I can tell it's written for tweens as it's relatively simplistic. Interesting concepts and storyline, though.
Kaithlyn
The book was okay. I enjoyed reading it. The author wrote the book differently from the other authors, so i found the book unique. I don't have anything bad to say about this book.
  • The Last Musketeer (The Last Musketeer, #1)
  • Fish
  • The Challenge (Steel Trapp, #1)
  • Wildfire Run
  • MVP*: Magellan Voyage Project
  • The Relic Hunters (Grey Griffins: The Clockwork Chronicles, #2)
  • Kitty Hawk (I, Q, #3)
  • Divide and Conquer (Infinity Ring #2)
  • Smells Like Dog
  • The Doomsday Box (Shadow Project, #2)
  • The Unknowns: A Mystery
  • Codename Zero (The Codename Conspiracy #1)
  • February (Conspiracy 365, #2)
  • Mission Unstoppable
  • Operation Red Jericho (The Guild of Specialists,  #1)
  • Neil Flambe And The Aztec Abduction: The Neil Flambe Capers #2
  • The Tilting House
  • The Billionaire's Curse (Billionaire, #1)
I have been a lifelong writer and storyteller. Salem, Oregon is where I spent my formative years and I graduated from Willamette University. After college, I spent a decade living in Portland, Oregon where I worked in advertising, game design, and technology.

I've written young adult and children's books for Scholastic, Little Brown Books For Young Readers and Katherine Tegen Books/ HarperCollins P...more
More about Patrick Carman...
The Black Circle (The 39 Clues, #5) The Dark Hills Divide (The Land of Elyon, #1) Beyond the Valley of Thorns (The Land of Elyon, #2) The Tenth City (The Land of Elyon, #3) Skeleton Creek (Skeleton Creek, #1)