Hollywood Tough (Shane Scully, #3)

Hollywood Tough (Shane Scully #3)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  552 ratings  ·  38 reviews
LAPD investigator Shane Scully agrees to return a favor to former snitch Nicky Marcella, a street hustler turned shady movie producer. He wants Shane to find Carol White, his former New Jersey high school classmate and an aspiring actress. What Shane finds is that she's abandoned her dreams for an abyss of drugs and prostitution, but her core of inherent decency touches hi...more
Published (first published December 1st 2002)

Leon Aldrich
If you are a fan of: Vince Flynn, Lee Child, Robert Crais, Michael Connelly, John Sanford or James Lee Burke, then you owe it to yourselves and your children's children, to read this series!

It don't get much better than this.
Space
This was a little better book than the last couple, I think. The premise was still far-reaching and large-scaled, but it seemed a little more realistic. A New Jersey mobster is trying to acquire influence in the movie business. It all ties in with several other storylines, of course. All of which Scully and his wife are investigating. Of course.

The only parts I had trouble believing - and to the point where it actually ejected me from the story for a bit - was where he let himself be talked into...more
Bill
I like much of the television that Stephen J. Cannell has written and produced. It turns out that his fiction writing isn't too bad, either. I liked this. It's not ground-breaking or earth-shattering or by any means awe-inspiring. But it is pretty good, down-to-earth, fun, detective fiction and kept me turning pages.

As the third story in the Shane Scully series, it picks up after he's become recently married and also found a son he didn't know about. I had not read either of the first two books,...more
Sue
I first thought of reading Cannell when he appeared on a couple of episodes of "Castle." He was a part of Castle's writer poker night. I have read a couple of his books now and have enjoyed each of them. His character, Shane Scully, is a very real and believable person. There are not a lot of super-human feats of bravado. He's just a good cop.
Alan Cook
Fasten your seatbelts, suspend your judgment and prepare yourself for a wild ride through Stephen Cannell's Hollywood, peopled with gang members, mobsters, petty crooks and wannabes who can't stand the heat but don't know how to get out of the kitchen. Cannell knows about Hollywood, having created many TV series, but he uses his knowledge as a takeoff point, not bothering to inject a lot of verisimilitude in his story. He also isn't great at the literary stuff, as most of his characters "growl"...more
Valerie Curtis
Book 3 of the Shane Scully Series. I, unfortunately, picked this book up first. It was easy to follow and a great mystery. It actually read like a television show :)
Joe
Police procedure at its best! Talk about plots on top of plots woven around yet another plot but Cannell does an amazing job of explaing them all to you as his character Scully and wife Alex slowly unravel and understand and tie them all together! Both are members of the LA Police Force and along with son Chooch, who is coming to age as a young man, and getting pulled into this tough life of race, drugs and corruption, Hollywood Tough was a fun read! If half of what Cannell says about Hollywood...more
FrankieReads
Barbara ★
Shane Scully is a most unconventional cop. He has the weirdest plans and spins the wildest webs to catch dangerous criminals but somehow they always work. This one is no different. We have drug lords, gangbangers, mexican mafia, italian mafia, hollywood producers/directors/actors and believe it or not, it all starts with a prostitute. This is on twisted tale.

I most admit that eventhough I enjoyed the book, I found myself skipping the parts involving the movie script and production. This was like...more
Magpie67
Third book in the series and I love it! I started reading this series when I found out that Stephen J. Cannell is author Alex Kava's favorite to read.... Now, I know why. Witty, smart and lots of players in the game. Mr. Cannell has so many twists up his sleeve for his characters and never a dull moment at all. I can't wait to read book 4 in the series!
Cherie Reeves
A bit far fetched. The LAPD is paying to co-produce a movie with a known player? I also found the number of connections in the book to be confusing. It's like the characters weren't completely developed and another was introduced who might be the bad guy. However I think I got the book as free or really cheap, so it wasn't a bad read for the money.
Susan
I listened to the unabridged CD version of this book read by Paul Michael. It was a great audio book and Michael did a wonderful job of all manner of voices. It's another in the Shane Scully - LAPD - series. Shane gets himself ingrained in the movie biz in order to catch mobsters and help quell a gang war. It was a good listen.
Cecelia/Ceil
I am enjoying listening to this series. Shane Scully is a policeman who places himself in many action situations. Tough guy with a good heart and interesting family history. Dick Hill was an excellent reader of the first two I listened to, and Paul Michael is also a very good reader for this series.
Kristen
Another great novel in the Shane Scully series. This one involves Shane going undercover working as a movie producer and also entangles his son's life with his former gang members. A number of great storylines which are not fully tied together until the end. Now on to book 4!!
Debby
A fast-paced, but rather convoluted mystery involving a Shane Scully and the LlAPD, a former informant, a film producer, a prostitute, a film project, a suspicious fiance, three LA gangs involved in a gang war, the mafia, and drug runners. Whew!! An entertaining read!
Mr. Crusader
Best book in the Shane Scully series that I have read to date. Cannell did a great job with the characters and storyline. Alreayd started reading the next book in this series (Vertical Coffin).
Deana Young
I've never read a Stephen J. Cannell book but he writes for series on TV. This book was really good as an audio book. The reader does a nice job and the book is interesting.
Jerry
Pat
I often have a mystery to listen to while driving in the car, something I learned from my husband. This is a fun and entertaining plot, especially if you live in LA.
Diane
Love the way Stephen Cannell writes - keeps you involve in the story - love the book. Shane Scully is great character can't wait to read the next one.
Kerry
This book started off really good, then lost me somewhat in the middle. But, the ending was good and satisfying :)! I'd give it 3.5 stars if I could.
Joe O'c
Very Good; Continuing character: Shane Scully; gang bangers, mafiosi and movie moguls come together for murder and mayhem
Colin Kemmis
The action was more believable, the author added humor, and the main character developed a soft side as well. Loved it!
Amy
Twenty pages from the end of this non-stop action thriller I just plain gave up. Did not care one whit how it ended.
Drew
Yet another Shane Scully thriller. I loved this book not as much as the first two but loved it all the same.
Taleisin
Not Cannell's best effort. Will still be reading the next one, am hoping it's just a glitch.
valpal
just ok for me, I probably won't read any more by this author. Might make a cool movie though.
Delaine
good- first time I ever read any books by this author. I will read more of his books.
Doug
This was okay so long as one was willing to suspend a good bit of disbelief.
Harry Lane
Police procedural, good characters, plotting just a tad overdone.
  • Trouble in Spades (A Nina Quinn Mystery #2)
  • Diner Impossible  (Rose Strickland Mystery, #3)
  • Capitol Murder (Dana Cutler, #3)
  • Balance of Power (Jim Dillon, #1)
  • Exact Revenge
  • Valley Of The Templars (Templar, #7)
  • Hunt the Scorpion (SEAL Team Six, #2)
  • Trigger City (Ray Dudgeon, #2)
  • Mind Over Magic (Psych, #2)
  • Winter of the Wolf Moon (Alex McKnight, #2)
  • The Hadrian Memorandum
  • Shadow Men (Max Freeman, #3)
  • The Informant
  • The Border Lords (Charlie Hood # 4)
  • On Target (Court Gentry, #2)
  • Deep Sea Dead (Pauline Sokol #4)
  • Night of the Living Deb (Debutante Dropout, #4)
  • Mr. Monk and The Blue Flu (Mr Monk, #3)
Received the Shamus Award, "The Eye" (Lifetime achievment award) in 1994.

An Emmy award-winning writer/producer and Chairman of Cannell Studios, Cannell overcame severe dyslexia to become one of television's most prolific writers. In a highly successful career that spans three decades, he created or co-created more than 40 shows, of which he has scripted more than 450 episodes and produced or execu...more
More about Stephen J. Cannell...
The Tin Collectors (Shane Scully, #1) King Con The Viking Funeral (Shane Scully, #2) The Prostitutes' Ball (Shane Scully, #10) Cold Hit (Shane Scully, #5)