Grant Comes East (Gettysburg, #2)

Grant Comes East (Gettysburg #2)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  652 ratings  ·  26 reviews
"THE BATTLE MAY HAVE BEEN WON, "
"BUT THE WAR IS FAR FROM OVER."
"Grant Comes East " continues the story of a Confederate victory, examining the great "what if" of American history: Could Lee have won the Battle of Gettysburg? A Confederate victory, however, would not necessarily mean that the Southern cause has gained its final triumph and a lasting peace. It is from this...more
Published June 1st 2005 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published 2004)

Jim Smith
In all fairness I have to start this review with a spoiler alert. If you haven’t read the preceeding book by these authors (‘Gettysburg‘) then I strongly urge you to so, since ‘Grant Comes East‘ picks up more or less where ‘Gettysburg’ stops. Still here? OK – my first comment on this book is how well the authors have managed the departure from ‘our’ timeline and the skill with which they use the best rules of counterfactual history to drive the plot. In ‘Gettysburg’, Lee comments that the Army o...more
Victor Orozco
Very good story. Continuing from where the last novel left off is the calling upon Lt.Gen. Ulysses S. Grant to save the day. From here on in Newt Gingrich expands on what might have happened if the Confederacy had won what was originally the Union victory at Gettysburg.

The Confederate victory at Union Mills grants the Army of Northern Virginia the confidence to attack Washington, D.C. The battle for Washington was very good but the author paints a realistic picture in that the defenses of the ca...more
Michael
Ted
Maybe it is because I hold Grant is such high esteem - He was clearly one of the greatest American Generals - but I could not put it down. I am not much for fiction and would never have bought this. Since it were given me, after it sat around two years I broke down and got started. It was a pleasant surprise. Newt is brilliant. The scenario was entirely believable, and in complete keeping with his character.
Dwight
Feb 04, 2010 Dwight rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dwight by: Katyknoll
1. This book has the narrowest bottom margin of any book I have read. On some pages it is even less than a single line. The good thing is the ink is of high enough quality to not have to worry about the lack of a clean place to place your thumbs.

2. I was a little worried at first about reading alternative historic fiction, but that didn't turn out to be a problem. Quite a bit of what I know about history comes from well written historical fiction, so I can imagine myself thinking of some of thes...more
Jim
Part 2 of the trilogy. A lot more politics and discussions in this story compared to the first. Far less action, although there are some important battles.

The Army of the Potomac is decimated at the end of the first book. Lincoln brings Grant in from the western front, to take total control of the army and reorganize after the decisive defeats in Pennsylvania. But, Grant has enemies in Washington and in the Union Army.

Meanwhile Lee, after his devastating victory, is pressed by Jefferson Davis t...more
Ron Murphy
Again, a great "what if" book that can totally confuse you about the real outcome of the Civil War..actually causes me to read further about the actual Civil War..This one basically has Washington isolated and hunkered down, about to be under siege by Lee and the Confederate army. Grant has come with his "Western" Union forces from Mississippi to take over the Union Army and the all but destroyed Army of the Potomac..The "result" is in the last book of this series, " Never Call Retreat: Lee and...more
CV Rick
A Continuation of Gettysburg, this novel delves into the politics and intrigue on both sides of the war. Grant has enemies, Lee has pressures, and this seemingly outweighs the events on the fields of battle.

I think it was competently written, but even more so than the first, this book drops into the stereotypes of valorous soldiers and altruistic generals. The horrors of war are but asides to the glamour of the cause - written by those who have experienced neither. It's a fan-boy piece about th...more
BJ Rose
Not Henry G
This is, without a doubt, the best book I've ever read. Review to come soon.
Burt
Second book of the trilogy. Gingerich and Forstchen continue their insightful application of the characters to the fictional shift in direction of the American Civil War. Although the plausibility of some of the action begins to stretch a bit, it is still an easy and fun read. After reading this, you should feel compelled to read the third and final book, "Never Call Retreat."
Janet
Even if you are not interested in Civil War stories this series of three books will give you a clear sense of what it was like to live in that time period. It's our history, our ancestor's daily trials, losses; the agonizing decisions that would not only affect families but the future of our nation. Great read.
J.T. Kalnay
The second book in the series. We meet Grant, and we follow Grant as he tries to figure out Lee. Grant has all the advantages of the industrial North, and he exhibits all his historic ruthlessness, even to those closest to him. A really good book.
Beth A
I've always enjoyed historical fiction, however I am not a history buff. Hence, I find it difficult to recall which pieces are the "alternate" view of history. Nonetheless, these are well written, rich stories.
Mike (the Paladin)
William Milton
My brother gave me this.It's probably something I wouldn't choose myself, but I'm quite interested in it and half way through. Probably my rating is 4 or 5 stars at this point.
Linda
excellent narrative (novel) of US Grant and Gen Lee around Baltimore and Washington DC during mid Civil War
Bill Powers
Newt, who is an historian by training, can weave a fascinating tale of alternative history.
Brian
Loved it.

These Newt Gingrich alternative histories make for a good read.

Al
A continuation of the Gettysburg series. Well done.
Nathan Moore
One of the best historical fiction series I have read.
Steve
This was a good historical what if? book.
Marian
Mar 30, 2008 Marian marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I'm looking forward to reading this.
Thomas
Nov 18, 2008 Thomas rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes da civil war (read the first one before dis one)
very good book.
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
  • Gone For Soldiers
  • 1862
  • Look Away (U.S. Civil War, #1)
  • Cain at Gettysburg
  • All for the Union: The Civil War Diary & Letters of Elisha Hunt Rhodes
  • General James Longstreet: The Confederacy's Most Controversial Soldier
  • To the Gates of Richmond: The Peninsula Campaign
  • Southern Storm
  • Grant and Sherman: The Friendship That Won the Civil War
  • Robert E. Lee: A Biography
  • Look Away!: A History of the Confederate States of America
Newton Leroy "Newt" Gingrich (born Newton Leroy McPherson) is an American politician who served as the Speaker of the United States House of Representatives from 1995 to 1999. In 1995, Time magazine selected him as the Person of the Year for his role in leading the Republican Revolution in the House, ending 40 years of the Democratic Party being in the majority. During his tenure as Speaker, he re...more
More about Newt Gingrich...
Gettysburg (Gettysburg, #1) To Try Men's Souls (George Washington, #1) Pearl Harbor: A Novel of December 8th (Pearl Harbor, #1) Never Call Retreat: Lee and Grant: The Final Victory (Gettysburg, #3) Valley Forge (George Washington, #2)