Start by marking “Das Grab” as Want to Read:
Das Grab

Das Grab

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  1,206 ratings  ·  62 reviews
Alle machten sich über Melvin lustig. Nur Vicki hatte den Mut, sich für den Außenseiter einzusetzen. Das änderte sich schlagartig, als er auf die Idee kam, eine Leiche auszugraben und mit Hilfe einer Autobatterie zum Leben zu erwecken. Jahre später wird Vicki immer noch von Alpträumen gequält. Als sie in ihre Heimatstadt zurückkehrt, wird Melvin gerade aus einer Anstalt en ...more
Published September 13th 2010 by Heyne (first published September 15th 1988)

♍ichael Ƒierce
Jul 16, 2014 ♍ichael Ƒierce rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any and ALL Zombie fans

description

Resurrection Dreams is the funniest most fun best book I ever read that helped add to the growing, gnawing, bone-crunching, lipsmacking interest in zombies that, by this point, has swept nearly everyone up into an uncontrollable off the heezy zombie frenzy, that forever changed the world we know, leaving in its' wake a land of apocalyptic death, ruin, and destruction. A world that will never be the same. EVER AGAIN.

And I've been thanking this book ever since!

And all the cool George Romero zombi
Jonathan Janz
This book was bat-excrement insane. But that's why we read Laymon. There's a creep of an antagonist. A hot/smart protagonist (with a hot/sorta smart friend). There's a bizarre premise that would only work in a Laymon novel.

And of course there's Richard Laymon's inimitable style.

If you're looking for a pleasant Sunday drive, stay far away from this book. If you feel like being strapped to the hood of a muscle car and driven off a cliff, read RESURRECTION DREAMS.

That is all.
Adam Light
This was okay, but not one of the breast Laymon books I have ever read. Oh geez, I have to watch that, its just that sometimes I accidentally slip one in like that.
Melvin is the poster boy for goofy villains. He has two obsessions; Vicki, the only girl that was ever nice to him in high school (the lesson there is never be nice to the weird guy), and bringing people back from the dead.
Both of these fetishes are going to cause an undue amount of grief for a lot of people, but Melvin could honestly
Bark's Book Nonsense
This is an amusingly vile take on the back from the grave plot. Laymon takes twisted delight in creating Melvin, a junk food ingesting geek with an all consuming desire to bring back a woman from the dead. He uses old tomes with recipes/spells to bring the dead back to life but never truly believes it’ll work (we would’ve heard about on the news if were possible, wouldn’t we?!). Somehow his most recent *recipe* works and then the fun begins because he’s unprepared to deal with the consequences. ...more
Chris
When you read a Laymon novel, you know what you're getting into
and this novel certainly is in keeping with that. Vicki Chandler returns home to Ellsworth after finishing medical school, even has a job lined up at the local doctor's clinic, but doesn't look forward to seeing Melvin Dobbs again. You see, Melvin owns and operates the town gas station and garage. But he's also known for his crazy high school stunt, when Vicki went to school with him, in which he'd attempted to resurrect a dead cheer
Kasia S.
Written in 1988 this book starts off sounding unlike Laymon in many ways but by the time I got sucked into it I appreciated the book for what it was. Published after his untimely death in 2001 the story came out without his final editing but still a good read, especially for the die hard fans. This is certainly not his best book but I enjoyed it, the suspense kept on building up and made me twist in my seat, wondering what is going to happen next.

After finishing medical school Vicki Chandler com
MK (Food actvist)
Andrew
Hmm...I don't know how I feel about this one, my fifth Richard Laymon book. It's like one of those USA Up All Night movies (hosted by Gilbert Godfrey), mixed with Weeked At Bernie's, a little Porky's, and maybe even a dash of Peter Jackson's Braindead. In a paperback. Yeeesh, I want to like it, I really do! It starts out great, has some gnarly dream sequences, some knee slapping scenes, and even a fairly interesting premise. But, then he doesn't really do anything with the premise. Our antagonis ...more
Angie
Nov 19, 2013 Angie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: horror, suspence, zombie fans
Recommended to Angie by: it was a buddy read on horror aficionados
Shelves: richard-laymon
This was what I now expect from a Richard laymon novel, a good story, that's got all the crazy you need and to have him still obsessed with nipples and asses!

Melvin is the town physco who wants to bring people back from the dead beginning in his senior year with the dug up corpse of a cheerleader classmate. It doesn't work, he ends up hospitalized for a few years, before being released back to his town.

Vicky, the girl he is obsessed with, is also back in town after training to be a doctor. Thin
James
I wish I could have been in the room when Laymon was working on this one. I picture him drinking Pepsi, eating trail-mix, and having a few chuckles. I had a few chuckles too while reading this. It is one of the more humorous tales from the Laymonverse. And while I thought it was a huge amount of fun, by the end of it I was ready for something else. The amount of stupid decisions by Vicki, our heroine, was really irritating towards the end. Now we all know that stupid decisions are part of the fu ...more
Alejandro
This is my second and final Richard Laymon novel. After reading and eviscerating "The Cellar," still possibly the worst horror novel I've ever read, I swore off of Laymon's books. Later, I figured that, seeing as it was his first novel, I owed Laymon another try. Some of my favorite writers (i.e. Brian Keene) cite him as a major influence and, let's face facts, first novels aren't always the best indicator of one's talent. I struggled through "Resurrection Dreams." The characters still aren't ch ...more
Victoria
Zombies were never as much fun as this! I am not, in general, a zombie fan... I find most of the movies to be amongst the worst in the horror genre, and the few times I have stumbled across zombies in books, I tend to roll my eyes. But Laymon has a real knack for horror, and made me really enjoy this entertaining and excitingly creepy zombie story. At first the villain, Melvin, seemed so sympathetic on account of his brutally bullied past, as the story continued, he really grew from bullied boy ...more
Karen
This was one of the best horror books I have read in a long time! I loved the writing, the gruesomeness of the story, and the twists and turns. I will definitely be reading more by this author. I don't know why I haven't read his novels sooner. I can totally picture this book as a movie.
PsypherPunk
I do like Laymon. He's definitely one to file under 'guilty pleasures' but I like him nonethless. Much of this is his usual fare but rather than being filled with a desire to be outright vile, it's written with a sort of impish glee.

My only realy complaint (aside from the frequency with which characters herein either change clothes or shower) is the ending: it's truly awful. I've come to terms with the fact that most endings are at the very least unsatisying, often worse. But this? Was he near a
Daniel
I keep hoping that I’ll find a Richard Laymon novel that truly impresses me – but it hasn’t happened yet. Certainly, Laymon was a most competent horror writer, but his work just seems to lack that extra something that would make it vibrant and unforgettable. Resurrection Dreams is a case in point; one of several novels published after Laymon’s untimely death in 2001, it features a most predictable storyline with few surprises along the way, and the supernatural aspect upon which the crux of the ...more
John Bruni
Another great book from Laymon. The guy just doesn't disappoint. He comes through with the goods each and every time. In this one, a weird kid by the name of Melvin tries to resurrect a dead cheerleader for his science project, but the authorities stop him. Fast forward a few years, and he's an adult. They put him through the system and deemed him sane. Now he runs a gas station at the edge of town by day and kidnaps girls for his resurrection experiments by night. Imagine his excitement when Vi ...more
Ashley James
Love Laymon and loved this book, however this has a awful ending and I feel a bit cheated. Wish readers were given clarification as to what happened to Melvin inparticular. Feel a couple more chapters were need however that may be a sign of not wanting the book to end as i loved the rest of the book.
Maurean
AS usual with Laymon, I found this book gorey, horrific and down right fun to read! Laymon's books are like watching a cheesy B horror flick; one of my all-time favorite pasttimes...yeah, you need a vivid imagination and a suspension of reality to get 'sucked in', but boy oh boy, is it worth it!
Amber
This book was so mortifiying that I could barely put it down. I loved it for that fact. Laymon is positively one of the most gruisome writters I have read.
Marsten
Un libro interesante.
Con un estilo ameno, ágil y sin florituras, Richard Laymon nos explica una historia entretenida. Empieza de forma impactante, la trama baja un poco el nivel y de ritmo visto lo que apuntaba el inicio y el final vuelve a coger "punch" y acaba de forma trepidante y extrema.
Richard Laymon nos regala sus habituales escenas de violencia y sexo explícito en ciertos pasajes de la novela, aunque en mi opnión sin llegar a la aberraciones de su brutal Sangre en el Bosque. Está más com
Kelly
Hailed as a king in the genre, I can guarantee this review will attract flamers and enough hate mail to make even Vanilla Ice feel good about his life, but someone has to say it and it might as well be me. As much as I respect and admire Richard Laymon, he has now become the Tupac Shakur of the writing world, and it’s beginning to show. Wait, put down those pitchforks and torches and let me explain.

After I put this book down, I realized that – much like second-hand smoke- the plot had sucked ye
Scott Rachui
Every October I find myself picking up a horror book or two in celebration of Halloween. This book represents the first of that genre for 2006. I had heard a lot about Richard Laymon and thought I'd give him a try. After reading Resurrection Dreams, I'll say that he writes fairly well, his stories are interesting and well-paced, and I have generally enjoyed his writing.

In this book, the main character is a very disturbed youngster in high school obsessed with the idea of resurrection from the de
Sarah Janina
Melvin Dobbs hat sich für den Wissenschaftsbeitrag an der Highschool etwas ganz Besonderes einfallen lassen. Von seinen Mitschülern wurde er schon immer beäugt und als Sonderling dargestellt. Melvin hat es satt, ohne ersichtlichen Grund den Außenseiter zu spielen und möchte seine Gegenspieler schocken. Und zwar mit einer Wiederbelebungsmaschine. Als Testobjekt dient ihm eine kürzlich verstorbene Mitschülerin, die er selbst für das Projekt auf dem Friedhof wieder ausgegraben hat.
Als Melvin versu
Trevor Firetog
Out of all the Richard Laymon books I've read (and believe me, I have read quite a few) this one is the only one with an ending that I have truly enjoyed! There are NO spoilers here, I would just like to say that this ending gave me the satisfaction that I craved.

Other than that, while not my favorite Laymon book, it is right up there! The characters are enjoyable. It's bloody, and sexy, as you would expect from his books. And it has a concept that I actually enjoyed reading about.

The idea of re
Samantha
Dec 29, 2007 Samantha rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Horror Fiction Fans
Shelves: miscellaneous
I picked up this book at a friend's house on Christmas Day when they were all watching movies that I wasn't in the mood to see. I got through the first 125 pages fairly quickly, then ignored it for about three days, then finished it in one sitting.

Why, then, if I couldn't seem to put it down, did I only give it two stars? Easy. For two simple reasons: there were too many eye-rolling moments and the ending (right before the last chapter/epilogue) was just too neat and convenient.

I'm not generally
Wendy
One thing I can say for Laymon, he can be counted on to deliver if you are looking for sick & twisted.

Melvin Dobbs is the kind of guy that no one likes and everyone likes to pick on and for good reason. Melvin's obsession is to resurrect the dead. After a high school stunt to resurrect a dead cheerleader backfires, Melvin is sent away to an institution where he is 'cured' of his obsession, or so he says.

Vicki was the only girl in high school who ever stood up for Melvin. Now she is back in
Erin (Paperback stash) *is juggle-reading*
People praise Laymon like he is the messiah of Horror; so far my experiences with him have been hit and miss. I was sorely disappointed with Body Rides, madly in love and ready to give my virginity (if it existed any longer, that is) to Resurrection Dreams, but as for this one, I’m stuck smack dab in the middle. On the brink, but never quite getting there.

The plot is cheesy, childishly simple, and mainly predictable. Predictable, cheesy, simple plots can be enjoyed, of course, but one usually ex
Verborgeneschoenheit borderlineingenious
Unterirdisch. Mir wurde von Laymon vorgeschwärmt und ich dachte wunder wie toll der sein muss. Nach hundert Seiten hatte ich die Nase voll (naja, eigentlich schon vorher). Total vulgär und eine Perversität folgt auf die andere. Vielleicht hab ich nur ein schlechtes Buch von ihm erwischt, aber wenn die alle so sind, frag ich mich, was viele daran so toll finden.
Nick
Melvin Dobbs is a social outcast with dreams of bringing the dead back to life. Not to bring back lost loved ones, but rather to have servants that will obey him unconditionally. Vicki Chandler, was cordial to Melvin in high school and when she returns to town to pursue being a small town doctor, Melvin has grand plans for her.[return][return]Richard Laymon does not hesitate when it comes to writing horror fiction. If a highly disturbing image escapes his pen, it is not edited out. In fact, it m ...more
Jason  morton
A violently good ride

I enjoyed the book it's like all the layman books I have read violent and sexual this book is not for the faint of heart this is a violently good ride
  • Joyride
  • Castaways (Leisure Fiction)
  • The Killing Kind
  • Flesh Gothic
  • Death's Dominion
  • The Resort
  • Night Life
  • Hotter Blood: More Tales of Erotic Horror (Hot Blood, #2)
  • The House That Jack Built
Richard Laymon was born in Chicago and grew up in California. He earned a BA in English Literature from Willamette University, Oregon and an MA from Loyola University, Los Angeles. He worked as a schoolteacher, a librarian, and a report writer for a law firm, and was the author of more than thirty acclaimed novels.

He also published more than sixty short stories in magazines such as Ellery Queen,
More about Richard Laymon...
The Traveling Vampire Show The Cellar Island Endless Night In the Dark