Start by marking “Seven Events That Made America America: And Proved That the Founding Fathers Were Right All Along” as Want to Read:

A conservative historian examines some of the pivotal, yet often ignored, moments that shaped our history
All students of American history know the big events that dramatically shaped our country. The Civil War, Pearl Harbor, the assassination of John F. Kennedy, and 9/11 are just a few.
But there are other, less famous events that had an equally profound impact. Notable
Published June 1st 2010 by Sentinel (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Seven Events That Made America America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seven Events That Made America America

BAM The Bibliomaniac
Maybe it's just me, but it seems that the author is just enjoying getting his digs in. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to come away from each chapter feeling positive about my government or ashamed? Sometimes it even sounds a bit racially prejudicial?
The one section I found enthralling was about the rock and roll era. The birth, its effect on society not only in the US but all over the globe. If I could have isolated that chapter, I would have rated it more highly.
I think every student of politic
Craig
Dec 17, 2011 Craig rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
In this inciteful book, Schweikert identifies seven events which (all but number 5) have negatively impact American life and started seemingly irreversable trends: (1) Martin Van Buren's focus on partisanism and resultant "big government"; (2) The Dred Scott decision, its destruction of the economy and hastening of the Civil War; (3) The Johnstown flood and the power of private compassion (now we have big government relief agencies which are costly and ineffective); (4) President Eisenhower's he ...more
Dj
Oct 07, 2014 Dj rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The worst type of Political Bilge. With each chapter he goes farther and farther off the rails of presenting facts and into spouting vitriol against his chosen enemies of the public good. By the time I decided I couldn't finish this totally biased and wildly speculative work, he had blamed the Katrina disaster on the fact that New Orleans was a 'democrat' city, pointed out all the good that the Federal Government had done during that disaster, the said that they had mucked it all up. In the last ...more
Brian Frastaci
At the very least, this book isn't afraid of voicing the author's opinion. My main issue with the book is the premise promised by the title (how the Founding Fathers' view of government is confirmed as correct by various events in the U.S's history) is scarcely touched in this piece. Rather, the book reads more as "7 Reasons Why Conservatives Are Right", and just a vessel for voicing Schweikart's opinion.

The writing style is about "all right". Schweikart will repeat the same word or phrase withi
Alix
Oct 15, 2010 Alix rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: other, non-fiction
This book was a little difficult to get through -- not because the writing was slow, but because the opinions expressed made me roll my eyes and scoff a lot. I actually ended up skipping over whole parts of chapters because I just couldn't stomach the far-reaching conclusions Schweikart was making from historical events. Obviously, I have a different take on political events than the author (I am much more liberal in my thinking). My intent on reading this book was to try to better understand th ...more
Ryang
Mar 14, 2017 Ryang rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Just a terrible book. Ideology over facts, again and again.
Dave
Oct 19, 2014 Dave rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
So, here I was one night, looking for an audio book to download for an upcoming trip. I wanted one that might have a series of short essays because one of my passengers would not be returning, and I didn't want to leave her hanging, desperate to hear the conclusion. I came across this one. The title sounded interesting. I knew nothing of the author, but figured I'd give it a try.

Well, it deals with history, but from a decidedly right wing viewpoint - which is fine. I just wasn't ready for it. I
Daniel
I found this book browsing my local BN before my vacation. This is an excellent book. Had it been easier to read, I would have rated it 5 stars. Whether the 7 events selected by the the author are the definitive events, he clearly established that they were and are significant.

The 7 events included: Martin Van Buren's push to form the first national political party and how that lead to the rampant size of today's current government; how Rock and Roll facilitated the demise of the Iron Curtain (t
Jul 06, 2015 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: big-people-books
Don Weidinger
Feb 02, 2013 Don Weidinger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
VanBuren, Dred Scott,natural disasters, diets, rockstars, Reagan, propaganda press. Boss Tweed buy elections, unintended consequences, panics via legislation that upsets normal economics, individual charity vs fed programs, 1913 Dayton flood via Conservancy Dist, 1900 Galveston 6K, army camps, people support govt not govt support people, private charity with fed’s keeping order, observations with preconceived notions on food and climate, Jefferson-he who knows best knows how little he knows, man ...more
Adam
May 30, 2010 Adam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some interesting facts and observations on how seven events defined the course of American History. 7 Events is based more on partisan opinion than facts and history. I found it interesting, but left a lot to be desired after reading Patriot's History.

-Martin van Buren instigates the spoils system and propaganda that has become the current democrat party (republicans do plenty of that also)

-Johnstown Flood as an example of private enterprise more effectively taking care of towns in calamity; wh
Natalie Starfish
Sep 12, 2012 Natalie Starfish rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Natalie by: picked up at the library
WOW! A facinating audio book. Elections, the press, our Presidents, and what the founding fathers would have thought about what we have done and are doing.
It even gets into the subject of the government telling us what we are to eat after Ike had a heart attack. Was this or that event important without all the press hoopla, hum. It really made me think. He even ties an event started by President Martin Van Buren did that got President Barrack Obama voted into the White House.

Some of it is long a
Gerry
Sep 06, 2010 Gerry rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Interesting read. I am generally a moderate liberal on many subjects, which is why I read this book since it was advertised as a conservative perspective on history. It was refreshing to learn a different point of view on many of the events, even if I didn't totally agree with all of the conclusions drawn by the author.

My only complaint is that it felt like he was a bit too long winded on some of the subjects and wasn't really adding much to his argument at times. Also, and this could be a facto
Sher
May 13, 2014 Sher rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this book, and I learned a lot from it, but I really think this would be a book better read, or at least read while listening. I can tell you what it talked about, but I could not tell you what the seven events are. I would be really happy to get a copy of it and try reading it. There was a time or two I got completely lost in the details of eating meat or something like that. Apparently there is no harm in eating a really poor diet with little nutritional value. At least that seem ...more
Gale Jake
Oct 06, 2012 Gale Jake rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Opinionated. Topics were selected to make his cases. One could imagine that the conclusion was written first, with the author's political bent, then the historical events selected to justify his conclusion. Law of untended consequences is the theme of most incidents. A bit cumbersome to read, I sped read and skipped quite a lot, which I rarely do. In my opinion there are many more important America-changing events than those selected by the author' but I'm not going to research them today. Time ...more
David
Dec 28, 2013 David rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There were some interesting things about the book, but mostly, this is yet another conservative claiming that the Founding Fathers were all conservatives, and that our country is pulling away from their tenets. Dry that out and you can fertilize the lawn with it. Anyone who has studied our Founding Fathers knows that they were from all political stripes, and fought with each other over ideas and concepts--sometimes even to death. Any conservative that thinks Founding Fathers were all conservativ ...more
Matthew
Nov 23, 2013 Matthew rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What can you really say about an author who writes about "History" with a book titled "48 Liberal Lies About American History"? The author is rather subjective and biased in his writing. I tried to remain open minded about the book until I reached the third chapter of the book and it seemed that almost every other page he was blaming Democrats, Liberals and Progressives while praising Conservatives who in his eyes seemed like they couldn't do anything wrong. I normally try to keep an open mind w ...more
Mark
Mar 07, 2015 Mark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history-us
I just absolutely love Larry Schweikart...He's the Anti-Howard Zinn and a leading voice & champion for American Exceptionalism...In this one he outlines 6 events that have put the US on the slide toward European-styled expansive central government & 1 dealing with the impact of American culture on the Cold War...The "Elastic Clause, Preamble's "General Welfare" Clause &, of course a series of judicially active decisions are used to expand government that is tremendously inept at thin ...more
Roger Haskins
Dont judge a book by its cover, for better or for worse. I picked this one up looking for an academic, historical account of the United State's history. Instead it turned out to by a Conservative listing of the short comings of liberal leaders and the praises of right-minded politicians. Not what I was looking for. As it was though, I found the authors interpretations of the events too biased to put much value in.
I love the idea of this book, and maybe I'll return to it later but it was just too heavy and fact-filled for me to read it right now. I did read two sections in their entirety -- one about President Eisenhower's heart attack and the subsequent government "war on meat" and America's obsession with health and dietary restrictions. Also, the section on the media's love affair with President Obama and the complete lack of objectivity in the media and news.
Erin
Oct 23, 2012 Erin rated it really liked it
Really interesting book! The first few chapters were somewhat meandering and difficult to follow in places, hence 4 stars instead of 5. I would have liked a little more direct discussion of the Founders' view of big government, but as he pointed out his conclusion, the Founders couldn't even conceive of most of our government's excesses. I found the last chapter on the history in journalism in the U.S. especially interesting.
Rhapsodyblue00
I love Historical writing, and am always enlightened by the new things I learn. I appreciated the writing and the insights by Mr. Schweikart. I would have a difficult time reviewing this book. I found myself feeling more like a Liberal than a Conserative which I have thought myself to be. I think he offers many good ideas, but I feel that much of the book was more (opinion) than fact. I will recommend it, with reservations.
Frode
Jul 12, 2013 Frode rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was an uneven book in my estimation. Two chapters were very good, and the others were just ok. The author relates the event, gives some background in most cases, shows where it has taken us or influenced us as a society, and finally comments on what the Founders would think, positively or negatively. The history in the Johnstown flood was fascinating, and his chapter on how rock music took down the iron curtain were the winners for me.
Julie
Aug 20, 2013 Julie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
I was interested in the events he chose, but he could have made his points in half as many words. I usually started skimming after the first few pages of each chapter. He was backing up what he was saying by documentation, which is important, but it bogged the book down to take several paragraphs or pages to make his point. I skipped a couple of chapters, my favorites were on Ike and the Johnstown Flood/Katrina.
Shari
Jul 24, 2010 Shari is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This is an interesting book tying key historical events to the current status of our political landscape. For instance, I never realized how intricately tied the postal system and newspapers were in the early 1800's. This appears to have been the infancy of media bias since political parties controlled the content and subsidized the postage.
Alison Lafferty
I was iffy on this book... it was very informative, but so much so that I had trouble really engaging with it and enjoying it. Maybe I've been burnt out on books lately anyway though. I liked some of the events they chose, so that was a plus! Overall, just okay. The good news is, it was pretty short. That helped.
Beth Olson shultz
Nov 23, 2013 Beth Olson shultz rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I tried to read this with an open mind. Mr. Schweikart is just too right wing for me. I could not take anymore after about half read. Good book for all right wingers. Not for me. Glad it only cost me a buck.
Jenny
Feb 02, 2015 Jenny rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Once you determined fact from opinion, the history was interesting. The opinions were really a stretch to attempt to make a point... That often wasn't made because the author swayed too far off his own topic.
Nicole Winget
"Read" the audiobook version of this book. It is interesting, but reader beware, this is an EXTREMELY right leaning book. Entertaining, some new information presented, good history snapshot. Worth the read if you keep an open mind.
Rachel
May 06, 2014 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great detailed history book. Wasn't one of my favorites but I learned a lot of what this author thought contributed to the "making" of America. One thing that stuck out was that history does repeat itself! We hear that often but sometimes don't change what needs to be changed!
  • Blacklisted by History: The Untold Story of Senator Joe McCarthy and His Fight Against America's Enemies
  • The Shadow Party: How George Soros, Hillary Clinton, and Sixties Radicals Seized Control of the Democratic Party
  • Separation of Church & State: What the Founders Meant
  • Blood of Tyrants: George Washington & the Forging of the Presidency
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Great Depression and the New Deal
  • The Real Benjamin Franklin (Vol. 2 of the American Classic Series)
  • The American Patriot's Almanac
  • George Washington's Sacred Fire
  • Brothers, Rivals, Victors: Eisenhower, Patton, Bradley and the Partnership that Drove the Allied Conquest in Europe
  • 33 Questions About American History You're Not Supposed to Ask
  • Vatican Council II: The Conciliar and Postconciliar Documents
  • The Myth of Hitler's Pope: Pope Pius XII And His Secret War Against Nazi Germany
  • The 10 Big Lies about America
  • Tyrant's Blood (Valisar, #2)
  • The Miracle of Freedom: Seven Tipping Points That Saved the World
  • Liberty's Blueprint: How Madison and Hamilton Wrote the Federalist, Defined the Constitution, and Made Democracy Safe for the World
  • Samuel Adams: A Life