Start by marking “The Witch of Agnesi (Bonnie Pinkwater Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Witch of Agnesi (Bonnie Pinkwater Mystery, #1)

The Witch of Agnesi (Bonnie Pinkwater Mystery #1)

3.37 of 5 stars 3.37  ·  rating details  ·  260 ratings  ·  38 reviews
When Peyton Newlin, thirteen-year old math genius disappears, teacher Bonnie Pinkwater starts nosing around.But the body count rises as students competing with the whiz start turning up dead.Is someone trying to level the playing field?
Published (first published August 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Witch of Agnesi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Witch of Agnesi

This book suffered from a couple of marketing faults and one snag by the author that made it less popular than it has the potential to be. First off is the name, the name The Witch of Agnesi conjures up a paranormal tale of sorcery to most people. I suppose if you are a mathematician then it would conjure up the math problem the book and title are talking about but otherwise it doesn't work. The second marketing fault is that it was marketed to a young adult audience. I don't know if I would hav ...more
Overall, I enjoyed this book. I admit it was hard for me to get into it at first. It took me over a week of back and forth between this book and others to finally get into it enough to get past the first 10 pages. Like others, I thought this book might have more of a paranormal element due to the title. Honestly, I'm glad it didn't as I'm not a big fan of the paranormal. This was a nice cozy mystery and the plot was a nice one.

There were a couple of things that annoyed me while reading that a d
Sep 16, 2011 Mikaela rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone that likes cozy mysteries
Shelves: mystery
I downloaded this when it was offered for free at BN a couple of weeks ago. The title intrigued me, and at first I believed it had a paranormal element. Someone claimed it was YA. I don’t quite agree with that. Yes, it felt like a YA mystery but the narrator was Bonnie Pinkwater, a 53 year old math teacher.
Missus P as her students call her a hoot. I loved her for her snarky thoughts, both when it came to students and police officers. But the main reason I loved her was the fact that she felt li
This is a free book from Kindle and I have agreed to review it. I was not sure what to expect. I thought it was a paranormal YA mystery. The only part I got right was it being a mystery. I think it needs to be marketed differently in order to reach the proper audience. The main character is a 50 something Math teacher in a high school named Bonnie Pinkwater. She is a widow and you hear her sarcastic thoughts throughout the story. She gets involved in a murder investigation after one of her stude ...more
My thoughts...

A totally fun mystery series. I absolutely love it when the main character has a fierce and aggressive yet lovable personality with a penchant for putting herself
in places and situations where she does not belong!!!

Bonnie Pinkwater...main amateur sleuth and sharp tongued math just such a person. In this first book of this series Bonnie's
math students are being killed!!!
Bonnie digs in to determine who is responsible. She is clever, sarcastic and fun!!! I loved this cha
The Witch of Agnesi (Bonnie Pinkwater Mystery, #1) by Robert Spiller

Bonnie Pinkwater is one cool teacher!

The book started a bit slowly but with enough to keep me reading and it didn't take long for me to get hooked! The banter between the characters, the way the plot unravels and the fact that I really didn't see the end coming, all of that makes this book a winner for me!

Looking forward to Missus Pinkwater's next adventure!
Michelle Boyea
When I first moved to Colorado, I was a student at the school that this author, Robert Spiller, was teaching at. While I did not have him personally, I remember him as being a wonderful teacher and never heard anything negative about him. I've been meaning to try his book series for years and finally decided to even though it is written for a younger age group than I am currently in.

Maybe I'm biased, maybe not, but one thing is for sure, I loved this book. When it first started, I wasn't sure wh
This book was awesome, I will admit that I had my doubts by the title, I really don't like stuff about witches but this really was a wonderful mystery. Very creative and you found yourself laughing to yourself as Mrs. Pinkwater talks to herself as she has incounters with family members of murder victims. She has a fun sense of humor. It just is a wonderful story, not real long but a lot in those pages. So if you get the chance to read this book please do so for it is a great book.
I really enjoyed this story. It was fast paced and easy read. I love to try and figure out "who-did-it" and came close.

I really enjoyed Bonnie. I like that she wasn't a young woman, but a middle aged school teacher. I liked seeing what she was really thinking as she was having a conversation. I also enjoyed the blossoming romance between her and Armen and the interaction between her and her pets!

I would recommend this book to everyone who enjoys a good detective story.
Dava Stewart
Interesting book. I'm not sure it would appeal to young adults as much as it might to older people who like milder stories, though. Not bad at all, and also not riddled with the errors one normally finds in freebies. I won't seek out the others in the series, but will grab them if they are free.
Umm, all I can say about this book is it was not what I expected it to be. After looking at the title (not the description) I thought it would be a paranormal read, I found out I was really wrong. This book is a good read if you are into murder mysteries with a bit of romance on the side.
Sphinx Feathers
The book was interesting, but I thought it was an odd chose to make two 60-year-olds the star of a book for teenagers. Ali or Jesse may have been better choices as main characters although I understand the author's choice of not using a teen to keep the suspense up.
Really enjoyed this one. Good story and I enjoyed the fact that the main character was an older woman. Will be reading more from this series.
I enjoyed this one, kept me guessing and changing my theories. Will have to read the others in this series and see how they pan out.
Mary Beth Hanford
I wasn't sure what to think with this book at first. Once I got going, it was a cute mystery unfolding.

I couldn't put it down.
A very nice cozy. It wasn't at all what I expected when I downloaded it, but it pleasantly surprised me none-the-less.
Mar 28, 2008 Allison rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Rhiann Strain
It was good, it made me think, but i got it right i knew who it was Yeah!
Nice, tight mystery with one-of-a-kind characters.
C.C. Thomas
This isn't normally a book I would like, seeing as how it had mathematical influences and all. But, I really liked it--and there wasn't enough math to fry my brain.

Bonnie Pinkwater is a respected teacher and academic coach, and when one of her students disappears on her watch, she can't just leave it to the local police. When the student turns up dead, Ms. Pinkwater knows she must rush to find the killer before another young person winds up dead. Add to the mix a witch coven, domestic and child
Jen Johnson
My biggest issue with this book is that it says it is for Grade 10 and up, so it is considered "young adult". I, personally, am not sure teenagers would be interesting in reading a book where Bonnie, the main character, is in her 50s. That being said, I myself really enjoyed reading it. First we meet Bonnie, a sarcastic math teacher who also mentors a small group of the smartest students who take part in an annual "Knowledge Bowl". At this event the story takes a turn when the smartest kid in sc ...more
Book #24 for 2013

DON'T READ THE BLURB! Seriously. It gives too much away and is slightly inaccurate. But read the book. The book is quite good.

This is another book I got as a gift for my mother (who used to be a math teacher), and I think she liked it, too. It's pretty clear that Bob drew on his experiences as a teacher. The kid characters seemed pretty realistic, as did their interactions. But I understand now why Bob was surprised that this book got marketed as YA. Yes, many of the characters
Although i'm not a teenager and not in high school, i really enjoyed reading this book. The story was interesting with multiple twists and surprises. It is written well, clever, witty comments and all. I caught myself laughing out loud a few times. I understand there are other stories written about the main character, Bonnie and i'm intrigued to see what other trouble she manages to get herself into. I'm glad other reviewers recommended this book. Go ahead and read it!
Nandan Kulkarni
average, but not, not worth reading at all... short and a good read...
Paul Allard
Light and entertaining mystery novel
Throughout the book they reference previous murder investigations and how the main characters know other characters. I was constantly wondering if there was a previous book in the series.

Also, while many characters were well developed, the main character remains undescribed for most of the story.

I don't think that I would buy the 2nd and 3rd books in the series.
A. Stopani
Normally, I am not a fan of mysteries. Their writing tends to be flat and predicable in my opinion, but not so with Robert Spiller’s beautifully crafted book. The writing is cleaver, funny, tense and unique! A great mystery in a unique location with an unexpected heroin.
So it's a mystery set up to be solved by a math teacher who is, I feel certain, not the typical math teacher depicted in fic. It was entertaining and kept me guessing but ultimately not my cup of tea.
An enjoyable mystery with a romantic thread. Bonnie is a Maths teacher. When one of her star pupils behaves oddly, then goes missing, she tries to help. Then things get much worse....
I really enjoyed this book. I liked the fact that Bonnie Pinkwater, the main character, is an older woman.
It is well written, I read it in two sittings.
Overall, a nice whodunnit!
Confused - was this book aimed for young adults or a mystery for all ages? If so it missed the target on several fronts. After a 100 pages I gave up.
  • Disturbed Earth
  • Lye in Wait (Home Crafting Mystery, #1)
  • Voices in the Dark (The Last Descendants, #2)
  • Lot's Return to Sodom (A Liv Bergen Mystery #2)
  • Samurai (Simon St George #2)
  • Shadows in the Twilight
  • Cross Your Heart, Connie Pickles
  • The Dogs of Rome (Commissario Alec Blume, #1)
  • Chosen (Line of Descent #1)
  • Into the Wildewood (Faire Folk Trilogy #2)
  • Blood Ties (PI Julie Collins, #1)
  • Hybrid
  • The Trouble With Green
  • Payback (Boy Soldier, #2)
  • The Perfect Woman (Detective John Stallings #1)
  • Catwalk (On the Runway, #2)
  • Bake Sale Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #13)
  • Lie Down in Green Pastures (The Psalm 23 Mysteries, #3)
Robert Spiller lives in Colorado Springs with his wife Barbara. Napier's Bones is the fifth in the Bonnie Pinkwater adult cozy mystery series preceded by The Witch of Agnesi, A Calculated Demise, Irrational Numbers, and Radical Equations. A mathematics teacher for thirty-five years, Robert recently retired to write full time.
More about Robert Spiller...

Bonnie Pinkwater Mystery (4 books)
  • A Calculated Demise (Bonnie Pinkwater Mystery, #2)
  • Irrational Numbers (Bonnie Pinkwater mystery, #3)
  • Radical Equations (Bonnie Pinkwater Mystery, #4)
A Calculated Demise (Bonnie Pinkwater Mystery, #2) Irrational Numbers (Bonnie Pinkwater mystery, #3) Radical Equations (Bonnie Pinkwater Mystery, #4) Napier's Bones (Bonnie Pinkwater Mystery, #5) Bonnie Pinkwater Series