What to Expect the Toddler Years

What to Expect the Toddler Years

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  1,999 ratings  ·  149 reviews
In a direct continuation of What to Expect When You're Expecting and What to Expect the First Year, America's most trusted pregnancy and child-care books, comes an all-inclusive guide for the parents of toddlers. Complete with information on self-esteem; emotional, physical, and social development; discipline; eccentric behaviors; and making time for yourself in the midst...more
Published January 11th 1994 by Workman Publishing (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about What to Expect the Toddler Years, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What to Expect the Toddler Years

Jeffrey
An indespensible good book chock full of wisdom about the toddler years.
Alyce Wilson
I received the 1994 edition of this book second-hand, and I'm happy I didn't pay for it. While "What to Expect While You're Expecting" is recognized as a valuable book for expectant mothers, I find this sequel to be more alarmist than helpful for parents of toddlers.

While I expect to both agree and disagree with any parenting book, when I'm reading this one, I more often disagree. It's possible that newer editions have changed the advice given, but in this edition, the authors recommend the Ferb...more
Leahjoypro
I may be the only person who actually read all 900 pages of this book - wow! I was working through it for 2 years! All in all, I found it to be a great resource. As I read through the sections covering each month, I found that the topics they adressed were often right on target with what my toddler and I were going thought. Tons of helpful, well-researched info. The reference secitons in the back were also really great. Really found the "Potty Learning" section helpful. That all being said, ther...more
Nicole
Take the advice as one perspective in raising a toddler; some of it is a bit restrictive for everyday life (e.g. The Best Odds Diet). But balanced with other viewpoints, is a decent reference of general inquiries.
Dolly
Jun 25, 2008 Dolly rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who liked the first books in this series
Shelves: nonfiction, 2005
Ugh - more preaching... I don't even think I finished this one...
Shavar Ross
Amazing series. Extremely informative.
Chad Warner
Sep 07, 2014 Chad Warner rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents
A very informative parent’s guide to months 12-36, based on research and expert advice. Part 1 is divided into months; Part 2 covers toddler care, health, and safety in general. It contains just enough humor for this type of book.

I read it cover to cover, but at over 1100 pages, it’s better used as a reference than as a book to read straight through. I skipped Chapter 19, on toilet training, until my daughter is closer to that point.

I agreed with most of advice, which is backed by research and s...more
Ruby
I just found out through the help of this book and a friend, (Thank you!) My son is probably allergic to cows milk but he could out grow it by two years. The doctors gave some poor advice and it might have gone unnoticed and I might have made it worse. So trust your maternal instincts. There are a lot of helpful things in this book about the stages of your child's development. I don't agree with everything in it(opinions) but I have found it very helpful! Yay! My son out grew his milk allergy! T...more
Shannon
Okay, so I haven't really read all of this by any means, but I read the first few chapters pertaining to my daughters age, as well as toilet training, toddler nutrition, and safety. And while I think it's probably a good reference to have on hand (although I haven't really read any of the other toddler books out there yet for comparison), I felt like the authors used the same authoritative tone that I probably used with parents in residency before I had my own kid and realized that it's a lot ea...more
Kat
I'm not actually "done" with this book, but I decided to take it off my "currently reading" shelf because it's not exactly a book I'm just reading straight through. I read this book a chapter at a time, as my son reaches different developmental stages, so I know what to look for and nurture in my son. As such, it is an excellent book. I can see where his curiosities are, and there are some fantastic suggestions for ways to encourage his learning and experiencing the world around us. I now know h...more
Jenny
Most of the information provided was helpful - although there were some particular things I would have liked to have expanded information on, and other information seemed repetative. Also, there were questionsin my mind of things like "what if the child eats Mould?" or something along those lines that there was nothing. In fact everything I have ever tried to look up in this book - there is NOTHING there... I would like those things addressed. On the other hand there were some things (like how t...more
 Sara
it's a classic, and I like the detailed information, but I actually prefer Portable Pediatrician, Second Edition by Laura Nathanson, it's not quite as detailed, but also less likely to scare me into thinking my kids are not developing properly or coming down with some dread disease. And make sure to read The Girlfriends' Guide to Surviving the First Year of Motherhood by Vicki Iovine, to remind yourself not to take all this too seriously.
jacky
I'm getting a bit frustrated with this series. Not because of the content, but because of the formating. Maybe I should be paying more attention to the table of contents, but nevertheless, I'm frustrated that sections on parenting toddlers and feeding toddlers are closer to the end. Shouldn't that come first? Instead, I happen upon them by accident on the way to the index.

I also am starting to dislike the overwhelming focus on safty in this book in particular. I understand that she needs to be...more
Julie
Oh, yeah! This series! I forgot about it after What to Expect the First Year. In my opinion, these books are gold.
Amy
I'm a sucker for the question-answer format of any parenting book, and this one asked most of the questions I had about "why the hell is my kid doing what he's doing." Lots of great resources in the back of the book, like a list of common kid diseases and ailments--and I appreciated them telling me which ones I should freak out about and which ones I shouldn't. Also, reading some of the questions that I *didn't* have made me feel better about my own kid. Like, "how do I get my kid to stop biting...more
Denise
Decent reference book for developmental milestones, physical developments, what to expect at doctor visits as well as any medical issue that may arise. We did have a few that weren't in the book, however, so it's not completely inclusive. For me, it was hit or miss in regards to parenting advice. I do not agree with every opinion Murkoff has in regards to child rearing, and for that reason alone I did not get as much out of this book as I did out of "What to Expect when You're Expecting" and "Wh...more
Clare
Helpful info, but I didn't read it cover-to-cover. At this age (Michael is 17 mos.), babies are so different that many of the issues in the book didn't apply to me/Mikey. The sections that did apply were helpful. The "What your Child Should Be able to Do" section for each month was useful in both reassuring me that Michael is on target for the skills he should have and showed me a few more things that I should start working on with him soon. So, from that standpoint, the book does help provide m...more
Erika
THIS is a long book broken down into months for your your child's age and what he/she should/could be doing at this point in time. I will probably be "currently reading" this until my daughter is four years old!

It's more of a reference book and despite the fact that childrearing is constantly changing, and magazines and the Internet might be more updated (although the What to Expect series is constantly being updated) the information is very pertinent and helpful. My husband and I loved the Expe...more
Robyn
Dec 23, 2007 Robyn rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
I liked What to Expect the First Year, even if I didn't agree with all of the advice. This book is woefully out of date and didactic. I could not finish reading this, stopping at about 15 months. I either disagreed with the advice, knew the advice to be incorrect, or thought the authors were patronizing me. Perhaps if they update the book, it might be a better read. Until then, find another source of information for the toddler years.
Aspasia
What To Expect: The Toddler Years is written by the same authors who created What To Expect When You're Expecting and What To Expect: The First Year. The Toddler Years follows its predecessors by breaking down the second and third year of your child's life into monthly categories with an extensive question and answer section. This books contains every single question and scenario that a parent can think of.
Isabelydancer00
Sep 06, 2010 Isabelydancer00 rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents/caregivers/sitters/grandparents/family
This book has a wealth of info that is laid out wonderfully for fast reference - easy and digestable chunks. Parents/caregivers need to keep in mmind that babies are individual and unique. This book gives great guidelines and hints on what can be expected at various stages. As a new and proud, but currently absent Grandmma Nana, I recommend that this book be kept out for easy access and regular reference.
Heather
great advice on all the TOddler STuff! Something I'll check out time and time again with any toddler, and it's nice to have experts tell you that you are on track - even though at times you start to wonder...

Helped calm my fears about eating / potty training / bed times / and goes into great depth about baby proofing your home / sicknesses for children Etc... This book really has it all.
Amerynth
A relatively handy reference for the toddler years. The book is broken down into sections by age and answers some of the more common questions about child development.

I didn't love the format, but I did find answers to some of my questions. I probably wouldn't have bought this book on my own, but having been handed down a free copy made it worth while.
Marsha Stokes
My husband and I love all of the books in this series. They are so helpful and informative, especially for first-time parents who are so nervous about EVERYTHING. It's a comfort! As I have more kids, I mainly skim the sections now for things that interest me with the new child, but for my first child these books were indispensable!
Ebookwormy
This book as saved my pediatrician more sleep then he will ever know! Why is that your child falls hard on his head in the evening? Spikes a fever in the middle of the night? Becomes seemingly horrendously ill on Sunday? This book has answered so many of my questions and equipped me to better handle the medical aspects of parenting.
Libby
i guess i didn't feel like i needed this reference book as much as I needed the What to Expect When You're Expecting, or the 1st Year one. I think I started reading it a long time ago, but I just never felt like I had that many questions, I guess... I'm not going to rate it, because I barely remember anything about it now.
Kristin
Although I love "What to Expect: The First Year," this book seemed like a stretch for me. Many of the issues raised were not relevant to my situation and some were just way out there. At the toddler age, parents can be very successful with love, knowledge from pediatricians/other parents and common sense.
Kristen
I found that by the time my kids were toddlers, they were following their own rate of development that never really fit this book. So I pretty much never used it.
(I collected a bunch of these pregnancy and childrearing books through the prenatal incentive programs my insurance offered, by the way) :)
Katy
Oct 13, 2007 Katy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Parents with Toddlers
I know it's lame that the first book I added was this one, but this really is a great book. It offers up a lot of suggestions and helpful hints for just about any situation. Let's just put it this way, I think Ron and I would have lost our minds this past year if we hadnt had this book.
Skylar Burris
For parenting advice, I give it 1 or 2 stars only. As a guide to refer to so you have some idea if your child is developing normally or what to do when he's sick, however, it was very helpful. I didn't turn to it as often as What to Expect the First Year, but I did turn to it.
  • Caring for Your Baby and Young Child: Birth to Age 5
  • Toddler 411: Clear Answers & Smart Advice for Your Toddler
  • Supernanny: How to Get the Best from Your Children
  • Baby and Child Care
  • Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems
  • Secrets of the Baby Whisperer for Toddlers
  • Babyhood
  • Your Pregnancy Week by Week
  • Your Baby and Child: From Birth to Age Five (Revised Edition)
  • So That's What They're For!: The Definitive Breastfeeding Guide
  • Our Bodies, Ourselves: Pregnancy and Birth
  • Baby Signs: How to Talk with Your Baby Before Your Baby Can Talk, New Edition
  • Sleeping Through the Night: How Infants, Toddlers, and Their Parents Can Get a Good Night's Sleep
  • Touchpoints: Birth to 3 : Your Child's Emotional and Behavioral Development
  • A Child is Born
  • Beyond Jennifer & Jason, Madison & Montana: What to Name Your Baby Now
  • The Magic Years: Understanding & Handling the Problems of Early Childhood
  • The Baby Owner's Manual: Operating Instructions, Trouble-Shooting Tips & Advice on First-Year Maintenance
Heidi Murkoff is the author of the What to Expect® series and author of Eating Well When You're Expecting, The What to Expect Pregnancy Journal & Organizer, What to Expect the First Year, The What to Expect Baby-Sitter's Handbook, and the What to Expect Kids series from HarperCollins. Her interactive website is www.whattoexpect.com, and she lives with her family in Los Angeles, California.
More about Heidi Murkoff...
What to Expect When You're Expecting What to Expect the First Year What to Expect Before You're Expecting What to Expect: Eating Well When You're Expecting What to Expect: The Second Year: For the 13th to 24th Month, this Step-by-Step Guide Explains Everything You Need to Know About Your Toddler