Start by marking “Dark Fire (Carpathians, #6)” as Want to Read:
Dark Fire (Carpathians, #6)

Dark Fire (Dark #6)

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  14,519 ratings  ·  296 reviews
So Darius warned her when she accepted a position with his traveling troupe. And gazing mesmerized at the merciless slash of his mouth, the implacable resolve on his face, the soulless emptiness of his black eyes, Tempest was afraid to ask what it was.

She had always been different, apart from others. From the moment his arms closed around her, enveloping her in a sorcerer'
Published June 8th 2010 by HarperCollins (first published August 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Dark Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Fire

Shannon (Giraffe Days)
I wanted to like this more than I did. It started so promisingly, and I'd had a break from this series of several months, which helped. But all too quickly the long-winded reflective introspective passages started up, the oh-so-stubborn lip-nibbling heroine got annoying, and the flowery love scenes got, well, flowery.

Lots of typos, lots of articles missing (especially "a", for some reason), and one of the things that really drives me nuts with Feehan is her inconsistencies. This is especially n
Rhapsody
Apr 14, 2007 Rhapsody rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: paranormal romance readers
This one I loved. It is by far my favorite in the Carpathians series, as of now. Tempest "Rusti" Trine is the most well-developed heroine we've seen so far this series. The heroines in the previous books have mainly been defined by their over-the-top compassion and gentleness. I found them kind of tedious and uninteresting. Tempest though is spunky and genuinely funny. The dialogue here was much better than in the previous books. Darius as well I found much less overdone than the other heroes. T ...more
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
I had a feeling I would like Darius' story when I read about him in Dark Challenge, and I did. He is a powerful, charismatic hero. Seeing who he ends up with was a particular pleasure, and I must say that Ms. Feehan chose the perfect heroine for him. This book was good from beginning to end. Tempest and Darius had the magic chemistry that makes romance novels so delicious. Also, I just plain liked Tempest. For the hard life she had lived, she was a bright person, with a great sense of humor. She ...more
Aquit
Jun 04, 2009 Aquit rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Noone, unless you're into arrogant males and annoying chits
Recommended to Aquit by: My sister, the hopeless romantic
I was a pre-teen when I read this book and I thought it was the most romantic book ever. Then as a teenager I broke down that glass wall, threw away the tinted glasses, and gained something of value called self-respect. I re-read "Dark Fire" and hated it. Christine Feehan may be a legendary author but in my opinion she uses too many repetitive themes and her character developments are weak and sidetracked by sex and meaningless arguments.

Darius is a Carpathian who is feared by many. *rolls eye*
Oleta Blaylock
I have a real weakness for the Daratraznoff family. I love all their books and the men in this family are to die for. First Gregori and now Darius. It is enough to make a girl swoon. Darius has been on his own for so long. He saved himself, his baby sister and four other young children when their parents were killed by the invading Turks. I love Darius courage and honor and his fear for his small family. Tempest "Rusti" is such a hoot throughout this books. She gives Darius no end of fits but s ...more
Ally
When Darius, the leader of a small band of Carpathian musicians, first sees the new mechanic hired to work on the band's touring vehicles, he is astonished to see the red colour of her hair. It has been centuries since he last saw colours or even felt emotions. Although mechanic Tempest Trine needs the job, she quickly realizes she's bitten off more than she can chew. Tempest has always felt different, apart from others. But from the moment his arms close around her, enveloping her in a sorcerer ...more
Susan
Origanilly Read June 2008

Ok, I know I say this everytime, but this is my favorite of the series so far!

I really enjoyed Darius and Tempest's storyline (especially all of the stuff with the leopards.) After reading the last book, I was so happy to see that both Darius and Barack found their lifemates. I'm slao glad she told this story right after the last one - it really cleared things up for me.

This book was great and I loved that Tempest could communicate telepathically with the animals!
Pat Cromwell
So I'm thinking that Darius Daratrazanoff is a refugee from a Diana Palmer book! OMG he took macho to the extremes. I still hear him saying Honey and it is in such a condescending manner! But because he is related to the coolest Carpathians - the Daratrazanoff - he is bearable. I think that his lifemate wakes up some morning and think "WTF did I do to deserve this jerk!"
KatieV
I liked this, but was a bit disappointed compared to the previous book.

What I liked:

I liked both the hero and the heroine. I thought Darius was fascinating in that overbearing Carpathian male way when I read the previous novel and wanted to read his story. Tempest, the heroine, was a good match for him. She was another human psychic, as has been the more frequent pattern. Her talent was communicating with animals. She was a likeable person with a very tragic past.

What I didn't like:

Too much repe
Elise-banned from infomercials and ebay
I loved Darius from the last book and I had my fingers crossed that his story would be a good one (had the same feeling for his brother Gregori's story). I was not disappointed. Rusti made for a great mate. Although, it generally annoys me when you are told to do something for your safety and you do the opposite. So many of the heroines from this series do that. Ugh!! "Don't go out of the perimeter". Is that so difficult to obey and is it really such an affront to your sense of freedom? Especial ...more
Debbie
Taking the job as mechanic seemed a good fit for Tempest ‘Rusti’ Trine, she never really fit in anywhere else, but this group of traveling troubadours sounded like a perfect match right down to their love of animals. As soon as Darius realized a human was in the camp he had to meet her, especially after he started to see all the colors around him shining for the first time in centuries. The way Tempest accepted them and most of the things they could do was one thing, but would she be strong enou ...more
Jen (Red Hot Books)
I am a longtime fan of Christine Feehan. I've read almost everything she has ever written and I've always loved the Carpathian series. But I found myself frequently annoyed throughout the course of this book. I don't remember if I felt this way the first time I read it. In fact, I recall it as one of the better ones in the series. But this time around, the book made me very frustrated.

Darius is a Carpathian male who grew up apart from his homeland. When he was only six years old, he lead a group
J.
Honestly, what really turns me away from these novels is how Feehan has such a hard time making each new novel seem like a NEW novel. Heck, often times, I almost feel like she has a hard time making each new PAGE feel like a new one. I can understand that every author has its preferences in terms of vocabulary, but when your choice of descriptive words jars the reader out of the novel and into the writing... there's a problem.

Throughout all of the novels of this series so far, she constantly use
Michelle
Right again! :) (See my prediction and my other reviews here)

Darius and Tempest, the mechanic.

She's human, but can talk to animals. So, we're more back to human/Carpathian storyline. However, I do finally get something I want: a woman who chooses to convert! She's not even dying! Well, the situation is still life and death, but....Beggars and Choosers, people!

I'm getting ahead of myself again.

Ok, so Tempest is hired on as the mechanic and of course as soon as Darius sees her, he knows. He comes
Suz
This series is still inordinately formulaic, but I remain hopeful that at some point in the coming books the shift that enables the books to be more UF and less PNR (as suggested in the much later offering of Dark Slayer in this series) will occur.

This book, Dark Fire, has nothing new to offer. In fact, unless you are only looking for a pure romance with very little of anything else occurring, this could be skipped in terms of the series or any long story arcs.

The dynamic between Darius and Temp
Kit
Finally! I feel that this book gave me the uniqueness that I have been looking for! The heroine isn't sitting back and doing nothing. She is actually trying to fight it and in the end, it is her decision that decides the book and not something he did to her. While Darius is the typical, arrogant, commanding Carpathian, he is nicely balanced with Tempest's red-headed temper and love of life. I also felt like the reader gets a more realistic look at how it might be. Rusti's claustrophobia and Dari ...more
TJ
Another great installment in the Carpathian series! Yes, they are very formulaic but the formula is a good one and Feehan finds ways to keep each book interesting and unique.

I really liked Darius in the last book so was looking forward to his story. His overbearing, dictatorship-type attitude and know-it-all personality was above and beyond even a Carpathian in this book, which initially made him hard to like. The reasons for his attitude were soon discovered and so well explained as the story
Sharon ✽ is an emotional book junkie ✽
3.5 stars.

I have a love/hate relationship with this series!

Love: strong, alpha males with amazing powers destined to love only one woman and love her well.

Hate: the way they force themselves upon the females ~ almost leaving them no choice until they succumb to their demands! It's suffocating!!

I really liked the feistiness of Tempest and how she gave it to Darius at every turn. The one thing that didn't ring true was how Darius would call her honey and baby....it just sounded wrong!

These books a
Carolyn F.
Re-read by audiobook. I also have the paperback.

Boy, change the narrator and it sure made a difference. Even though this woman is just as full a phobias as the rest, she doesn't come off as so whiny and irritating.

Tempest is great - especially with the narrator giving her such a husky sexy voice - I can see how a Carpathian would be attracted to her. She comes with the normal laundry list of phobias - hot water, enclosed spaces, etc. but they don't come across as too much most of the time. I'm
Songül
Ehh ölçüsünde bir hikayeydi benim için...:(((
Veronica
In this story we are told the story about Darius and Tempest. I liked the story because this was not a 'you are mine come with me at once' and the female dropped everything and followed him. There was a great struggle between the two of them and it went on and on.

I liked the the fact that Tempest was always testing Darius's patience. I was intrigued by how Darius was going to cope with Tempest's free spirit since he was used to being to being obeyed without question in the previous book Dark Cha
Judith Parra
I loved Darius as soon as I read about him in Julian and Desari's book. He reminded me so much of Gregori and how could he not when he is Gregori's younger brother. Darius is a law unto himself. He is strong, powerful and protective. I loved how much he cared for and looked after his lifemate Tempest. Like almost every arrogant Carpathian male, he could be a tad overprotective. I found Tempest to be funny, strong and I liked that she caused a bit of trouble for Darius and fought to maintain her ...more
Kaleigha
I enjoyed Dark Fire...Darius and Rusti made a great couple. This was a nice addition to the series.

For centuries, Darius has protected and guided his small family of Carpathians, yet once he meets lost and lonely Rusti, everything changes. As his lifemate, she brings back colors and emotions to his world, and he is unable to let her go. Rusti is running from a past of abuse and fear, and the last thing she is looking for is a man. But when they meet, everything changes.
Pete
Dark Fire is book 6 in Dark series by Christine Feehan. From book 5 we learned about Darius Daratrazanoff who was Desari’s alpha take charge brother.

Sequential reading has its benefits in not having to be introduced to an all new cast in each story.

Being in a family with females who have weekly nail, foot, hand, and hair treatments, I found a female mechanic quite refreshing. Tempest was easy to like. Sorry Carpathian cavemen, Tempest, having a different upbringing, is smart and humorous, and
Laurie Garrison
I started this series a few years back and quit them and now I remember why. Repetition!!! The hero and heroine are just a like, just different names, jobs or way of life but so many other features are the same. Same over baring hero that has to have his way or bust. Don’t get me wrong some hero’s is made to be dominate but not every freaking book in the same series. Readers needs fresh not just another cookie cutter.

The heroine Tempest is also similar to past heroines. She wants him for a few
Delphina
I think this installment is much better than the first three. Darius is a much nicer character and the story arc continues from book 5 in a more natural way than some of the other transitions between books. I wish there had been more about Sindel, but at least her story was there. Also, I listened to this as an audiobook, as I have with the whole series, and I like the new narrator much better than the original one.
Wendy Crisp
If the man orders you around from the start, shame on him. If he has to do it because you make poor decisions and make stupid mistakes, then it's on you.
I didn't mind the onset of this one. I was relieved that not much was made about tempest being a mechanic, which was ridiculous anyway. As described she could have never actually done the work. She didn't seem as "women's lib" as I had expected yet she didn't respect him or herself enough to stop putting them in danger repeatedly. It got old. R
Kathrynn
Dec 24, 2007 Kathrynn rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Paranormal Romance Fans
#6 of Carpathian series and Tempest meets Darius when she is hired to work on the Troubadour's tour bus.

The Troubadour Band (I think they call themselves the Dark Troubadours) are a mini-series within the Carpathian Series. This is the second Troubadour/Carpathian book. The first Troubadour/Carpathian book is Dark Challenge (#5) with Julian and Desari (Darius' sister).

I enjoyed this book!
Mindy
This is the second Carpathians book I've read and I'm just not getting it apparently. The women are too stubborn and the men are seriously overbearing. Sadly my annoyance at the men's bossiness in this book caused me to snap at my husband when he attempted to let me go first while ordering at a restaurant. When a book does that to me, I know it's time to stop reading.
Hafize
serinin altıncı kitabında nihayet çeviri düzeldi!!!
yuuppiii!!! ve okuduğumu anladım :)
serinin ikinci ve altıncı kitaplarında sadece bu güzellik var...
diğer kitaplar tamamen anlama çabası içinde geçti...
tabi ben başladığım seriye devam eden saplantılı okuyucu olduğum için inatla devam ettim :)
bu kitaba 4 puanı anlayabildiğim için verdim :)
  • After Twilight (Dark, #7)
  • Noah (Nightwalkers, #5)
  • Kiss of the Night (Dark-Hunter, #4)
  • Master of the Moon (Mageverse, #2)
  • Vampires Are Forever (Argeneau #8)
  • Primal Heat (Primes, #5)
  • Rejar (Matrix of Destiny, #2)
  • Coyote's Mate (Breeds, #18)
#1 New York Times bestselling author Christine Feehan has over 40 novels published, including four series. Each of her four series has hit #1 on the NY Times. Her debut novel Dark Prince received 3 of the 9 Paranormal Excellence Awards in Romantic Literature for 1999. Since then she has been published by Leisure Books, Pocket Books, and currently is writing for Berkley/Jove. She also has earned 7 ...more
More about Christine Feehan...
Dark Prince (Dark, #1) Dark Desire (Dark, #2) Dark Magic (Dark #4) Dark Gold (Dark, #3) Dark Guardian (Dark, #9)

“She was crawling out from under the huge tour bus when he first caught sight of her. She was small, like a child.” 9 likes
“None of this…none of this…whatever you call this.” She waved her hand to encompass everything. Kissing. Taking her blood. Seducing her. Ordering her around. Setting perimeters. All of it.
His black gaze never left her face. His eyes as still as those of a leopard scenting prey. Avid. Burning. Intense. He took her breath away with his eyes. Hypnotized her. Cast a spell over her.
Tempest pulled her gaze from his, from the seductive, black velvet trap. “And stop that, too,” she said decisively, despite the fact that he made her hungry for him.
“Stop what?”
“Stop looking at me that way, it’s definitely out. You can’t look at me that way. It’s cheating.”
“How am I looking at you?” His deep voice dropped even lower, the cadence soft and husky. Mesmerizing. “Okay, that’s out, too. No talking in that tone of voice,” she declared staunchly. “And you know very well what you’re doing. Act normal.”
His white teeth gleamed at her, nearly stopping her heart. “I am acting normal, Tempest.”
“Well, then, that’s out, too. No acting normal.”
7 likes