Start by marking “Straniero alla terra” as Want to Read:
Straniero alla terra

Straniero alla terra

3.72  ·  Rating Details ·  1,019 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Chi legge "Straniero alla terra" si ritrova catapultato nella cabina di pilotaggio con Dick Bach, per tutta la durata del volo della sua missione segreta. Il lettore prova con lui il senso inebriante della solitudine e dell'immensità, si immerge nella magia degli spazi sconfinati, respira l'aria della libertà e ascolta il canto del silenzio. Come lui avverte il rapporto di ...more
Paperback, Superbur, 240 pages
Published 1987 by BUR Biblioteca Univ. Rizzoli (first published 1963)

To ask other readers questions about Straniero alla terra, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Straniero alla terra

Curtiss
Annecdotes from a career in aviation told against the backdrop of a hazardous coldwar flight from England to France in the mid 1950's.

Dedicated to Don Slack and a mountain in central France that stands 6,188 feet above sea level.

I vastly prefer this book to Bach's popular fantasy "Jonathan Livingston Seagull", as it deals with real-life aviation adventure and commitment, not an anthropomorphized bird struggling to perfect his flying skills.
Destiny Dawn Long
Not my favorite Bach, but still had some good moments. I really love to read about flight and flying. However, at times he was too much of a Cold War apologist. The way that he tried to justify his involvement rang false to me--it didn't make me sympathetic, it just sort of disgusted me that he was comfortable with killing other humans, even though he fully admitted that he'd probably like them a great deal if given the chance.
Richard
Sep 28, 2008 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yes, OK. He's also the author of "Jonathan Livington Seagull." Whatever. "Stranger to the Ground" offers insight to the experience of flight, though I am only an observer to what Richard Bach and Brian Shul have accomplished (see "Sled Driver" review for Major Shul's book). Read "Stranger to the Ground" to enter a world you've almost certainly never known.
Sunshine
It is rare to find someone able to capture in words a love, a passion for something that to the rest of us would be indescribable. Richard Bach does just that. His adoration for flight, and the sky in which it takes place, can barely hold the boundaries of the pages on which it's descriptions are inscribed.
R.L.
Mar 07, 2011 R.L. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First sentence: "The wind tonight is from the west, down runway two eight." This book should be in this list!

Fig
Jul 15, 2012 Fig rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Spent a lifetime flying jets in the Air Force. This book captures the experience of flying a single-seat jet better than any other.
Bryan
Jan 25, 2009 Bryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
During my Richard Bach phase; really good book.
Bob
Jun 29, 2012 Bob rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I've ever read. This is Richard Bach at his best. An intense, one-man exploration of the desperation and the loneliness of the Cold War.
Interzone
Recommended for pilots. Technical descriptions (which I really enjoyed) maybe a bit long and involved for non-pilots.
Andrew
Jun 25, 2010 Andrew added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: pilots.
Early Bach isn't really my thing I guess... after reading One, I just really didn't like this...
Drich Drich
Feb 15, 2017 Drich Drich rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i think this book is very intrested
Ioannis Tsevgas
Mar 20, 2017 Ioannis Tsevgas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Maybe my all time favorite book
Existential angst during a night flight over stormy Europe.
Life - Love - Duty and Honor against Fear and Uncertainty and the metaphysical musings that also gave us Jonathan Livingston Seagull.
What more can I ask
Jonathan Lin
Feb 20, 2017 Jonathan Lin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars.
Don
(Dust Jacket blurb)
This is a unique and immensely impressive achievement. It is at once a recreation of a dramatic and exciting night flight over Europe in peacetime in a U.S. jet fighter, and at the same time a pilot's testament to his plane and his love of flying.

Stranger to the Ground takes the reader into the cockpit of an F-84F Thunderstreak parked on a cold, windswept runway in England; then, with remarkable clarity, through all the complex steps of take-off into a dark, storm-tossed sky.
Amber
Review posted on my blog www.thewriterslibrary.blogspot.com

I can't believe I'm DNF'ing this. I usually love Richard Bach. But this was not his best. Really, it wasn't.
This story follows Dick as he joins the Air Force in a "lonely duel with death". Yes, that is what the synopsis said. But it didn't feel that way. Usually, if Bach isn't doing much in the story, he's pondering bigger questions and that makes up for nothing happening at the moment. Here, there was none of that. It was all focused o
Donna Prather
In 1965, I was 16. There was a lot going on in 1965, and I had already had a lot happen in my personal life. I picked up this book in a book store in Shawnee. I read that book until the covers fell off. Literally. Mother said when she finally threw it out, all the pages weren't even there. After all the young adult books I had read about brave people doing brave things, this was the first book that let me know that brave people are just scared people doing hard things that are the right thing to ...more
You,  Disloyal Bastard
Si supiera más de aviación, sobretodo de aviación militar, sin duda hubiera disfrutado un montón de este libro; pero como no lo hacía se me dificultó concentrarme en la voz del protagonista, que mezclaba entre situaciones personales ambiciosas entre sus compañeros pilotos, sus sentimientos y pensamientos y términos complicados de aviación. Buen libro para aficionados de estos temas y nada más; de resto es muy difícil seguir la línea de la historia, a pesar del glosario al final del mismo.
Serkelion
Bel libro ma non entusiasmante, specialmente se teniamo conto che io sarei un ex-pilota, e la mia una famiglia di aviatori.
Bellissimo il mantra delle cose inutili: "la pista dietro di te, l'altezza sopra di te, un decimo di secondo fa".
Mhurdle
Jan 21, 2016 Mhurdle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Not bad but not my usual flavor of book. Lots of insight into the process of flying a plane, both mentally and physically. Very interesting if you are interested in this type of thing.
John
Jun 23, 2013 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful stories from the author of Jonathan Livingston Seagull from his time serving in the Air National Guard flying the F-84F Thunderstreak.
Beedo180
Jun 20, 2013 Beedo180 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book based on a single flight in an F-84 over Europe. Sounds limiting, but a great read on aviation and the thoughts of a man alone with the elements.
Dave
Jan 08, 2015 Dave rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read. I felt like I was flying in the plane with him. Exciting and a fast read. Going to look for more Richard Bach books.
Ben Cook
Jan 29, 2014 Ben Cook rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book! The author clearly loves to fly, loves everything about it and conveys that to the reader exceptionally well.
Paul
Paul rated it it was ok
Sep 06, 2007
Nakul Shenoy
Nakul Shenoy rated it liked it
Mar 23, 2009
Darjan
Darjan rated it it was amazing
Nov 06, 2014
Shelley Des Forges
Shelley Des Forges rated it liked it
Mar 19, 2013
Lauren Mitchell
Lauren Mitchell rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2011
  • The First Garden
  • Le Vicomte de Bragelonne III
  • The Alley Cat
  • The Deltoid Pumpkin Seed
  • This New Ocean: The Story of the First Space Age (Modern Library Paperbacks)
  • XIII: The Apollo Flight That Failed
  • Sagittarius Rising
  • God Is My Co-Pilot
  • PhD Chapter 2: Life is tough and then you graduate
  • Project Orion: The True Story of the Atomic Spaceship
  • The Doctors Book of Food Remedies: The Latest Findings on the Power of Food to Treat and Prevent Health Problems - From Aging and Diabetes to Ulcers and Yeast Infections
  • Ararat

Since Jonathan Livingston Seagull - which dominated the #1 spot on the New York Times Bestseller List for two consecutive years - Richard Bach has touched millions of people through his humor, wisdom and insight.

With over 60 million copies of his books sold, Richard Bach remains one of the world's most beloved authors. A former USAF fighter pilot, Air Force captain and latter-day barnstorm
More about Richard Bach...

“My airplane is quiet, and for a moment still an alien, still a stranger to the ground, I am home.” 14 likes