Start by marking “Straniero alla terra” as Want to Read:
Straniero alla terra

Straniero alla terra

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  867 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Chi legge "Straniero alla terra" si ritrova catapultato nella cabina di pilotaggio con Dick Bach, per tutta la durata del volo della sua missione segreta. Il lettore prova con lui il senso inebriante della solitudine e dell'immensità, si immerge nella magia degli spazi sconfinati, respira l'aria della libertà e ascolta il canto del silenzio. Come lui avverte il rapporto di ...more
Paperback, Superbur, 240 pages
Published 1987 by BUR Biblioteca Univ. Rizzoli (first published 1963)

To ask other readers questions about Straniero alla terra, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Straniero alla terra

Don
(Dust Jacket blurb)
This is a unique and immensely impressive achievement. It is at once a recreation of a dramatic and exciting night flight over Europe in peacetime in a U.S. jet fighter, and at the same time a pilot's testament to his plane and his love of flying.

Stranger to the Ground takes the reader into the cockpit of an F-84F Thunderstreak parked on a cold, windswept runway in England; then, with remarkable clarity, through all the complex steps of take-off into a dark, storm-tossed sky.
Curtiss
Annecdotes from a career in aviation told against the backdrop of a hazardous coldwar flight from England to France in the mid 1950's.

Dedicated to Don Slack and a mountain in central France that stands 6,188 feet above sea level.

I vastly prefer this book to Bach's popular fantasy "Jonathan Livingston Seagull", as it deals with real-life aviation adventure and commitment, not an anthropomorphized bird struggling to perfect his flying skills.
Destiny Dawn Long
Not my favorite Bach, but still had some good moments. I really love to read about flight and flying. However, at times he was too much of a Cold War apologist. The way that he tried to justify his involvement rang false to me--it didn't make me sympathetic, it just sort of disgusted me that he was comfortable with killing other humans, even though he fully admitted that he'd probably like them a great deal if given the chance.
Richard
Yes, OK. He's also the author of "Jonathan Livington Seagull." Whatever. "Stranger to the Ground" offers insight to the experience of flight, though I am only an observer to what Richard Bach and Brian Shul have accomplished (see "Sled Driver" review for Major Shul's book). Read "Stranger to the Ground" to enter a world you've almost certainly never known.
Sunshine
It is rare to find someone able to capture in words a love, a passion for something that to the rest of us would be indescribable. Richard Bach does just that. His adoration for flight, and the sky in which it takes place, can barely hold the boundaries of the pages on which it's descriptions are inscribed.
R.L.
First sentence: "The wind tonight is from the west, down runway two eight." This book should be in this list!

Bob
One of the best books I've ever read. This is Richard Bach at his best. An intense, one-man exploration of the desperation and the loneliness of the Cold War.
Fig
Spent a lifetime flying jets in the Air Force. This book captures the experience of flying a single-seat jet better than any other.
Interzone
Recommended for pilots. Technical descriptions (which I really enjoyed) maybe a bit long and involved for non-pilots.
Bryan
During my Richard Bach phase; really good book.
Serkelion
Bel libro ma non entusiasmante, specialmente se teniamo conto che io sarei un ex-pilota, e la mia una famiglia di aviatori.
Bellissimo il mantra delle cose inutili: "la pista dietro di te, l'altezza sopra di te, un decimo di secondo fa".
Dave
Excellent read. I felt like I was flying in the plane with him. Exciting and a fast read. Going to look for more Richard Bach books.
Beedo180
Great book based on a single flight in an F-84 over Europe. Sounds limiting, but a great read on aviation and the thoughts of a man alone with the elements.
John
Wonderful stories from the author of Jonathan Livingston Seagull from his time serving in the Air National Guard flying the F-84F Thunderstreak.
Ben Cook
Great book! The author clearly loves to fly, loves everything about it and conveys that to the reader exceptionally well.
Andrew
Jul 26, 2010 Andrew added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: pilots.
Early Bach isn't really my thing I guess... after reading One, I just really didn't like this...
Kimber
Kimber added it
Apr 25, 2015
Silvija Saule
Silvija Saule marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Jean
Jean marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Mohita
Mohita marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Emma P Hellthaler
Emma P Hellthaler marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Mahreen Khan
Mahreen Khan marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
  • The Spirit of St. Louis
  • The Ancient Engineers
  • Reach for the Sky
  • Carrying the Fire: An Astronaut's Journey

Since Jonathan Livingston Seagull - which dominated the #1 spot on the New York Times Bestseller List for two consecutive years - Richard Bach has touched millions of people through his humor, wisdom and insight.

With over 60 million copies of his books sold, Richard Bach remains one of the world's most beloved authors. A former USAF fighter pilot, Air Force captain and latter-day barnstorm
More about Richard Bach...
Jonathan Livingston Seagull Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah One The Bridge Across Forever: A True Love Story There's No Such Place as Far Away

“My airplane is quiet, and for a moment still an alien, still a stranger to the ground, I am home.” 10 likes