Start by marking “Love Roma, Volume 1” as Want to Read:
Love Roma, Volume 1

Love Roma, Volume 1 (Love Roma #1)

The first book of a new manga series presents a quirky, humorous account of teenage love at first sight.
Published August 30th 2005 by Del Rey (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Love Roma, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Roma, Volume 1

Vicki
May 18, 2009 Vicki rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga-and-comics
A charming 5 volume series about a high school love between the two main characters. What sets this apart from a middle-of-the road high school romantic drama is the fantastic bluntness of the main characters - they tend to speak their minds rather than think 'oh I don't know what to say...angst angst..'. A lot of the comedy of the series comes from this.

Personally I really like the art style in this series, altho I've heard quite a few people say they had to get past the art to appreciate the
Laura (ローラ)
In the very first panel Hoshino confesses his love to Negishi. Hoshino who has a problem with being blunt has fallen in love with Negishi who has a problem with being honest. Between the two of them (and their friends in the peanut gallery) they create a most unusual high school romance.

This isn't your usual manga, it features bold marker drawings, undefined character rendering, is void of screen tones (at least I haven't noticed any) -- a style reminiscent of some independent North American com
Xelloss-kun
Aug 14, 2009 Xelloss-kun rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga-series
I initially picked up this title when I saw the first two volumes on the shelf and the back of the second declared "We have been telling all the people we meet to read this manga!" (quote by CLAMP). It's a somewhat typical romance told in a very atypical style. The book has a simplistic but nice art style which gradually improves as you progress through the volume (which is not unexpected given that the manga-ka created it over an extended period).

With the initial story's being written as a stan
Susan
Mar 26, 2009 Susan rated it liked it
Engaging story that plays on that oh-so-common opposites-attract/odd couple theme so popular in many shojo manga series. Hoshino declares his affection for Negishi openly in a crowded classroom. At first she's taken aback, but Hoshino endears himself to her by degrees because of his unflinching honesty and commitment to being himself, even when that means looking a little ridiculous. The drawing style fits the breezy lightheartedness of the story but is neither detailed, nor particularly beyond ...more
Jessica
This is a pretty cute romance manga series. I don't recall where I saw it recommended, but it's pretty enjoyable.
Hoshino walks up to Negishi in school and confesses his love for her, despite the fact that they don't actually know one another! Hijinks ensue? It's cute, and the characters are actually well done. The art is pretty normal/generic - nice but nothing that blew me away. One thing I did really appreciate is that the characters are very blunt. There's none of the "will they notice me!??
Monique
Feb 14, 2015 Monique rated it really liked it
Love Roma is interesting. It seems to take on a lot of similar themes that you'd see in your average Shojo manga, but the art is understated and the dialogue blunt. The effect is delightful. Focus is shifted away from the angsty drama one might expect, and is instead put on the budding friendship and romance between two young people who seem to genuinely like each other.

Wikipedia lists this as a Seinen and I would have a hard time categorizing it myself, so I suppose that will do. Its silly and
Emilia P
Aug 12, 2007 Emilia P rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: girls and boys of many ages
Shelves: comic-books
Aw.
This is probably the first real Manga i've ever read, and I liked it.. It's about a boy and a girl dating, sort of awkwardly and really sweetly (in a non-cutesy way) in high school. Here is one of my favorite parts:

"Negishi-San, you're..you're strong like a man...you're a strong girl, but now you're crying. That's Odd!!"

and also the explanation of Tsukkomi and Boke, a Japanese comedic style where "the boke will say something stupid or make a silly mistake, then the tsukkomi will correct him,
narajaponesa
Oct 31, 2008 narajaponesa rated it it was amazing
A rather hilarious look at a young couple beginning to date, for better or for worse.

This was a re-reading for me, and I loved every minute of it. The characters are endearing and portrayed in a mostly realistic fashion.

If you pay attention to their school uniforms, though, you'll realize these students are in middle school. And they're dealing with some pretty adult themes like condoms, rubbing boobies, and of course, the deed. Still, the humor keeps things light, unlike all those awkwardly se
Jason
Aug 10, 2007 Jason rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who enjoy romance books
Shelves: manga
A great little read - a romantic comedy that begins with the relationship forming instead of ending there. We get to watch as the two characters get to know each other's likes and dislikes as their relationship goes from formalities and clumsiness to true love and genuine affection. Four volumes total.
Michelle Young
Jan 04, 2010 Michelle Young rated it really liked it
Ridiculous and a little creepy. The boy is blunt, innocent, and intent on dating the girl, who doesn't know him at all. He announces his love for her in front of everyone in the cafeteria, causing her great embarrassment. He demonstrates his affection for her in obvious ways, to the amusement of their classmates.
Lauren
Dec 14, 2007 Lauren rated it really liked it
Toyoda's 1st manga series that follows a young couple in high school, Negishi & Hoshino, through the emotional ride of their relationship. Silly and absurd, but still a fun read--especially when they decide to compete against each other in making lunchboxes (of sushi).
scarlettraces
Jun 25, 2009 scarlettraces rated it really liked it
Shelves: loaners, manga-manhwa
the art is fairly basic but the silliness is excellent. yet another manga i will not be able to read on the bus due to snickering. i particularly liked the a-side, b-side layout of the first couple of chapters
kimberly
Oct 27, 2008 kimberly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga_japanese
It's called "Love Roma," and it's available in English, too.
R
Jun 06, 2016 R rated it really liked it
Interesting story and different feel and graphics that I'm used to. I want to find out what happens, he pulled me into the story enough for that!
Lord
Jul 15, 2008 Lord rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, slice-of-life
With unorthodox, almost indie, art style and with an unusual and funny high school romance story, this manga is a total pleasure.
Emily
Sep 27, 2012 Emily rated it really liked it
This is a manga book and can be confusing at times. I liked it because it was a very normal life related story.
Lisa
Girl in relationship is characterized as being more masculine than the boy. He says she's like a boy. She's more direct and aggressive.
Eva Liu
Sep 14, 2015 Eva Liu rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, romance, highschool
not bad.
Marianna
Marianna rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2009
Monta
Monta rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2014
Renee
Renee rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2009
Mint
Mint rated it liked it
Sep 21, 2007
Sameen Shakya
Sameen Shakya rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2016
Paul
Paul rated it it was ok
Jun 12, 2012
Kent
Kent rated it liked it
Aug 28, 2016
Hyde
Hyde rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2008
Dawn
Dawn rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2008
Dave
Dave rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2008
Evin Rogers
Evin Rogers rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2011
Red Thomas
Red Thomas rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2015