Start by marking “Love in the Afternoon (The Hathaways, #5)” as Want to Read:
Love in the Afternoon (The Hathaways, #5)

Love in the Afternoon (The Hathaways #5)

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  17,350 ratings  ·  958 reviews
As a lover of animals and nature, Beatrix Hathaway has always been more comfortable outdoors than in the ballroom. Even though she participated in the London season in the past, the free-spirited beauty is resigned to never finding love. But correspondence with damaged war veteran Christopher Phelan begins to change her outlook.
Published 2010 by Piatkus Books

To ask other readers questions about Love in the Afternoon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love in the Afternoon

Navessa

ON THE FAVORITE SHELF IT GOES!

I had things to do this weekend, but instead I mistakenly started this series and spent four days straight sitting on my couch. Laundry? Fuck it. Pets? My fiancé can feed them. Grocery shopping? That would require me to change out of sweatpants. Cleanliness? Who cares? I’ll shower when I’m good and ready, damn it.

Up until this point I haven’t even been able to properly review these books. Well, I probably could have BUT I DIDN’T WANT TO BECAUSE THERE WERE MORE HATH
Shawna
5+ stars – Historical Romance

The vivacious, eccentric, loving Hathaways have utterly, irrevocably stolen my heart, and it’s with bittersweet affection that I wish them all a fond farewell as they live out their HEAs. *wipes eyes, blows nose into hanky*

What I loved most:

--Beatrix...She’s one of the funniest, most spirited, nonconforming, okay...peculiar, and lovable heroines, ever!

--The poignant letter correspondence between emotionally lost, haunted Christopher and compassionate, steadfast Beat
Auntee
Sep 12, 2010 Auntee rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the series; Fans of the Wallflowers series
I'm stumped. Writing reviews for books you enjoy is soooo much harder than for books that were a disappointment. Phrases like "I loved it" seem so inadequate. So I'm sort of dragging my feet figuring out what to say. I'm also delaying because this was the end of a wonderful series, and I feel like I'm leaving a bunch of good friends behind, and that makes me a little depressed.

What sort of surprised me about this book was how much I loved the character of Beatrix. I've always liked her, but in t
UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva

Ok, this book has many of the things I love most in the books I read, regardless of the genre. To help keep from rambling on and on, I’m going to lay it out for you like this:

What I loved:

1. A fantastic start! It was pure writing genius on Lisa Kleypas’ part to let us read the correspondences between Christopher Phelan and Beatrix Hathaway because in just a few short pages we were able to see their relationship grow from one of dislike to one of deep love. Granted, Christopher didn’t know he was
Susanne
“I didn't mean to send love letters, but that is what they became. On their way to you, my words turned into heartbeats on the page.”

description

What a wonderful book! Magical, charming, endearing, funny, heartwarming and absolutely amazing. Beatrix is the best heroine ever. And Christopher is perfect for her.

The book starts with their correspondance and I thought it would be dull - and I couldn't have been more wrong! Christopher is a charming rake before leaving for war. War changes people, and it change
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
I started Love in the Afternoon a few hours ago and couldn’t stop until I turned the last page. As you can probably tell, I’m suffering from the Kleypas Craze again, because I can never get enough of her writing. There is this ease with her writing that I can’t really explain. It’s effortless, but still engaging and highly entertaining.

The first part of Love in the Afternoon is written in an epistolary fashion and I can’t rave enough about how much I loved that. I haven’t read many books recentl
Rane
Like many readers, I’ve grown very attached to the Hathaways, each book brought me closer and closer to this crazy and loving family, that LK made me part of the family through each word and action from the first book to the last. Am sad to see the Hathaways series ending, but am happy each member found their own Happy Ever After and I was happy to be along for the ride.

Through the Hathaways series we get to see Beatrix truly grow into her own, from a shy girl whose loves animals but is deali
Kat Stark

First Book: Mine Till Midnight
Second Book: Seduce me at Sunrise
Third Book: Tempt me at Twilight
Fourth Book: Married by Morning

So this is the last book of the series guys. And my reaction is:

No more reading about these fantastic characters that I grew to love and adore. It's been an amazing trip and Kleypas is a new favorite author that I will continue to enjoy.

In this installment, we have the last of the Hathaway siblings to marry. Her name is Beatrix. She connects with animals better than peopl
Didi
What a sweet story! Beatrix Hathaway finally gets her own happily ever after. Of all the Hathaways, Bea has always been the most peculiar, in a good way! In tune with nature and all its creatures, she was a compassionate, loyal, patient and loving woman. I loved seeing her fall for someone and desire a future similar to her siblings. Captain Christopher Phelan was a man changed by war. His despair and anguish over all he'd seen and done was palpable. I felt his pain, it was so severe at times an ...more
Beanbag Love
I had to think about this one for a day before I could rate it. It's not a full five, but close enough.

What was the problem? Well, it's got a lot of amazing stuff. Beatrix, of course, is wonderful. So wise, but also naive and silly. Christopher is seriously tortured. So far, so good.

Add to that the deception Beatrix and her 'friend' Prudence (yuk) pulled on him and you've got a recipe for volatility. Perfect.

I loved how they ended up together. I loved that there were no more lies once Christoph
Leah
Lisa Kay

★★★★ ½ I just love Beatrix! Why wouldn't I, when she is such an animal lover? I listen to a ton of audiobooks when I "re-read" books, and I recently listened to this one this year. The narrator, Rosalyn Landor, did such a wonderful Beatrix, I enjoyed it even more the second time. The voice inflections were spot-on, making the book that much more funny. I just sent in my Top Ten Audiobooks 2011 to a blog where I sometimes guest review, and this audiobook was my #4.

Oh! And, and it goes without s
Juliana
Absolutely delightful and (to my surprise) my favorite Hathaway book

Lisa Kleypas' latest novel is absolutely delightful; she has woven a wonderful and rich tale of love, and has done so with a great deal of skill and depth. I've been a great fan of the Hathaway clan and their stories, but for some reason was never very interested in Beatrix's. The sneak preview at the end of Married by Morning completely changed my opinion and I was ecstatic to only have to wait a month ... as well as a little
valee
This book was everything I was waiting for and more.I loved it. Maybe not my fav from this author but definitely the best in the series. I kept reading and reading until I was done with it.This book was a bit darker than her usual books, but it still had many light and funny moments.

So many things were different in this book from all her historical novels. I loved the fact that Christian was back from war and recovering. I have a thing for wounded heroes and to see how Bea was able to help him
Dina
This was great ending to the delicious Hathaways series, but I didn't like the ending. No, don't get me wrong, I was more than pleased with Christopher and Beatrix's HEA. What I didn't like was the somewhat "manipulative" way Ms. Kleypas left some secondary characters' fate hanging, as if she was staging the set for a new series. Other than that, I have no complains. :)
Nisha
Sep 15, 2010 Nisha rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone - this is a great conclusion to a wonderful series
For a female character and the last sister of the series, I had not expected much from Beatrix Hathaway. In fact with he lukewarm start of the series, it was unimaginable that anything good would have come out of it. That is, until I read the preview for this book. I was won over pretty quickly, especially considering the outstandingly unconventional heroine who has a affinity with nature and that she had been described previously more akin to a child.

It took Beatrix only 2 meetings to figure o
Jess the Romanceaholic
*contented sigh*

It's not often that the last book in a series is equal to or better than the earlier installments, but that's certainly the case with the fifth book in the Hathaway series.

I admit, I was never too interested in Beatrix as a character. Her kleptomania and odd affinity towards animals really didn't appeal to me all throughout the earlier novels in the series. However, the idea of accidentally falling in love through letters penned under another's name, now THAT caught my attention.
DarienMoya
^^LOVE THIS ONE ANYTIME OF THE DAY!^^

I have loved Beatrix forever and her book did not disappoint, the Hathaway’s are superb and this series is one of the very best. From Amelia all the way down to little B this series made me laugh cry and respected Miss Kleypas as a phenomenal writer. Though this book is far from steamy as the others and a little more serious in terms of our main hero, this book was all Beatrix all the time, and that my friends is a very good thing.

What the hell else is there
Ally72
Camaro
******** 4.5 Stars of Epistolary Goodness ********

I loved this book to freaking pieces! At some point I even clamoured... "Lisa Kleypas, what the hell are you doing to me"? For the first 60% I was in a glass case of emotion and the tension kept building until I felt like I was going to burst from the feels.

This is me... I love epistolary romances, that is... romance novels where love letters or some form of written communication between the hero and heroine has a prominent place in the story.
Jane Stewart
I smiled a lot during this book. The last half is weak, but the first half is definitely worthwhile.

Christopher, a British soldier, had a crush on beautiful but shallow Prudence. He asked her to write to him while he fought in the Crimea. Prudence had no interest, but Beatrix did. So Beatrix wrote letters to Christopher, signing them as Prudence. Christopher fell in love with the letter writer but didn’t know it was Beatrix. This was fun with good anticipation - wondering what he will do, how wi
Catherine
For me, this series went out with a whimper instead of a bang. After reading Leo and Catherine's book I had high expectations of this one. Unfortunately, I never connected to the story and found my attention wandering frequently.

One of Beatrix's friends, Prudence, has received a letter from one of her suitors, Christopher, who is away at war. When Prudence decides she's not going to write back, because that would only encourage him to include more boring details about what he's going through, Be
Linds
Reading a Lisa Kleypas novel is such a treat, and this book was no exception. While I'm a fan of all her novels, I felt that this book had an extra layer of depth, maturity, and complexity to it.

Beatrix is the youngest of the Hathaway sisters, more at home in the woods and animals than a drawing room. Before this book, I wasn't especially a Beatrix fan. I don't care for animals and I found her a bit immature. To my surprise she has elevated herself to one of my favorite Kleypas heroines, second
Ana
4.5

*Sighs* Goodbyes are never easy, but alas the moment has arrived where I must bid farewell to one of my favorite literary families. Them crazy Hathaways.

First, I need to give a shout out to my darling Buddy Read ladies,Cam and Dulce. Thanks Cam for introducing me to Kleypas and thanks to both of you for being amazeballs throughout this entire reading of this wonderful series!

When I was ten I adopted two baby chicks. I named them Jesus and Mary. (Don't laugh I was ten) I loved these chicks to
Susan (susayq ~)
Yes, I started this at 6 am this morning and am now finished with it :)

I honestly think this is my favorite out of the series. Was it humorous in some places? Yes, but not as much as the others, and I think that is why it's my favorite. I tend to like to read angsty stuff. And while this wasn't angsty, per se, it brought tears to my eyes several times. The longing Beatrix had for Christopher was heartbreaking. The fact that she knew he had reservations and was hesitant to be with her for her saf
Stacia (the 2010 club)
Beatrix, you are one interesting girl. I knew your story would be interesting, and of course it was, but not in the way that I had planned. For some reason, I was almost expecting you to imitate a repeat of Poppy's meeting with her hotelier. I certainly didn't expect you to fall for a tortured war hero. Nor did I expect for you to sit and wait in the shadows, secretly afraid to show your true self to the real world. Who knew you were really the scared one in the family? You, the girl who ran wil ...more
Katrina Passick Lumsden
Finally! A story where I like both the hero and the heroine! A story where the truth comes out and it's actually a joyous and romantic occasion as opposed to being subjected to more illogical anger! I relate to Beatrix quite well, and Christopher is a character I would definitely fall for. My only complaint was that each character suffered from what I'm not going to refer to as Kleypasitis. This is an author who can't seem to craft more interesting obstacles. It's always miscommunications, misun ...more
Taryn at My Secret Romance
This novel took me a lot longer to read than the others. I think because in the back of my mind I new that by finishing this book meant an ending to the series and I just wasn't ready for that. Some authors have that special gift where their novels will stick with you long after you've finished them. Lisa Kleypas is one of them. Lisa's novels will linger on in my soul for a very long time. When I think of Lisa, I will think of the beautifully written love stories and the characters that I have c ...more
Mei
I'm soooo sorry.... :(

Why?

Because this wonderful series is finished!!!

Bea is the epitome of the Hathaway family! She's different in a very refreshing way. She's honest and compassionate and I just loved her!
I loved her love for the animals and her absolutely right comparisons between animals and people. What a wonderful gift!

Christopher was interesting too, but he just paled compared to Bea!

I loved how Bea fell for Christopher without having seen him. True to herself she fell for the soul and
Quinn
Although I have given all of the individual books a 4 star rating, Lisa Kleypas's The Hathaways is a 5 star series. It's an example of where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. I absolutely adored the quirky Hathaways, and Beatrix was no exception.

We've seen Beatrix transition from adolescent to adult over the course of this series, and she made a surprisingly lovely heroine given she was something of an oddity early in the series. I wondered about the type of man who would be a suit
What's The Name o...: War hero or something like that [s] 6 37 Nov 25, 2013 11:28PM
  • A Lady by Midnight (Spindle Cove, #3)
  • Lord of Ice (Knight Miscellany, #3)
  • England's Perfect Hero (Lessons in Love, #3)
  • To Seduce a Sinner (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #2)
  • What Happens in London (Bevelstoke, #2)
  • Ten Ways to Be Adored When Landing a Lord (Love By Numbers, #2)
  • Between the Devil and Desire (Scoundrels of St. James, #2)
  • How the Marquess Was Won (Pennyroyal Green, #6)
  • When Beauty Tamed the Beast (Fairy Tales, #2)
  • Lord of Scoundrels (Scoundrels, #3)
  • Nearly a Lady
More about Lisa Kleypas...
Mine Till Midnight (The Hathaways, #1) Devil in Winter (Wallflowers, #3) Sugar Daddy (Travises, #1) Smooth Talking Stranger (Travises, #3) It Happened One Autumn (Wallflowers, #2)

“You are your own worst enemy. If you can learn to stop expecting impossible perfection, in yourself and others, you may find the happiness that has always eluded you.” 197 likes
“Bending his head over hers, Leo murmured, "When I give you away at the altar, Bea, I want you to remember something. I'm not really giving you away. I'm merely allowing him the chance to love you as much as the rest of us do.” 117 likes