Start by marking “Supergirl: Power” as Want to Read:
Supergirl: Power

Supergirl: Power (Supergirl #1)

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  410 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Superstar writer Jeph Loeb and the red-hot art team of Ian Churchill and Norm Rapmund join forces to deliver the adventures of Superman's cousin from Krypton, the one and only Kara Zor-el! Spinning out of the megapopular hit Superman/Batman: Supergirl , this volume collecting Supergirl #0-5 tells the story of Supergirl's whirlwind tour of the DCU! Along the way, she encou ...more
Published June 14th 2006 by DC Comics (first published June 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Supergirl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Supergirl

Saga, Volume 1 by Brian K. VaughanRat Queens, Vol. 1 by Kurtis J. WiebeBatwoman by Greg RuckaFray by Joss WhedonRunaways, Vol. 1 by Brian K. Vaughan
Kickass women in superhero comics
64th out of 283 books — 253 voters
Cat-Tales Book 5 by Chris DeeBatman by Jeph LoebIdentity Crisis by Brad MeltzerInjustice by Tom    TaylorThe Greatest Batman Stories Ever Told by Bill Finger
73rd out of 110 books — 15 voters

More lists with this book...

John Yelverton
Great story about Supergirl and her struggle with life on Earth.
William Thomas
Female characters in solo titles present a problem for most writers. They just don't know how to sell the characters on their own merit. Although that has changed (mainly due to Marjorie Liu and Bryan Q Miller), Jeph Loeb suffers from this affliction more than any other writer to date. Having guest appearances by the entire Teen Titans, Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, the JLA and even Lex Luthor as the villain, made the book weaker for not being able to focus solely on this incarnation of Superg ...more
Ricky Ganci
So what we have here is a decent volume that does a few things well, but comes off as an uneven collection, and ultimately is far less enjoyable than the origin story that we find in Loeb's work with Turner in Batman/Superman. While it would be easy to lampoon this collection on the artwork alone, there are some storytelling beats that also drive down the quality in this follow-up of the origin of the Maid of Might.

But it is the artwork that hampers this collection the most, on the basis that Ch
Dec 04, 2014 Ashley rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of all things DC universe
Recommended to Ashley by: Rick Hunter
I found this to be a very enjoyable read.
Jeph Loeb's writing didn't falter as the story picks up where B/S: Supergirl left off.
The art work was quite top-notch; this is the way that I like for my comics to look, detailed faces and costumes with actual backgrounds and not just color splotches.
I liked how so many of the the characters, both villains and heroes, from the DC universe wound up in the story-line, every if it was just for a panel or two or a fake out done by a shape-shifter. (HARLEY!!
Beth Younge
This is the first time i’ve picked up a comic with a connection to Superman, minus Injustice: Gods Amongst Us which was awesome!

I picked this up from a charity shop as it was only 2.50 and i try to read a diverse array of comics. I thought that the story was really entertaining and i loved the idea of one superhero having a dual personality that is hidden from them.

A wide array of characters from the DC world showed up or were mentioned and i really liked the cameo style roles that some of them
This is my first Supergirl comic and I must say, I really like it! The mystery around Kara's origin keeps your attention and it's interesting following her as she gets her bearings and tries to find her place in our world and figure out who she is.

One of my favourite parts is Supergirl meeting up with the JSA. As much as I'd love Supergirl and Power Girl to be friends, it can't happen, and the book explains why. The situation's lonely and confusing for both of them, which makes it even more sad.
Matthew Lloyd
This was part of a mini-re-read of my Supergirl comics when I happened to be at home where they were. I first read the story around 2007, and I really wish I could remember why I decided to start reading Supergirl over other superheroes - nontheless, it was good to begin with a character who had only recently been relaunched.

Kara's own adventures begin after one last Superman/Batman strip in which she tries to shake off the obsessive stalking of her that Superman has been doing. Superman compare
A solid, fun read. The art is quite nice but suffers from too-many-splash-pages syndrome (and Churchill really should be paying Jim Lee royalties for his spirited aping of Lee's style). Loeb's inclusion of so many DCU characters into his storyline feels somewhat forced and gimmicky as they ultimately have little to do with the resolution of the plot (such as it is). Nevertheless, this is a story that attempts to give Kara the spotlight she deserves and it's an enjoyable ride while it lasts.
This was a very awesome first Supergirl graphic novel for me. I was introduced to her by my brother and this was the first interesting edition of her adventures that I chose to read.

One of the best things about this novel is the appearance of many big name superheroes. Superboy, Batman, Harley Quinn (my favorite), Batgirl, Clayface, and Superman himself. They refer to a lot of pretty accurate story lines regarding this characters also.

The one thing I felt myself trying to reckon with the entir
I enjoyed reading about a female superhero, however I feel there was a lot of objectification of this 16-year-old in this graphic novel. That really took away the enjoyment for me.
This direct continuation from Superman/Batman: Supergirl is a mixed bag. Supergirl is trying to make her own way in the world, first by mimicking her cousin and being a hero.

Then she hangs out with the JSa and Teen Titans, but ends up fighting them as well as the Outsiders.

Its mostly filled with nice cameos here and there until Lex Luthor shows up and smacks Kara around and then splits her in two with Black Kryptonite (similar to the one shown on Smallville)

An evil Supergirl, good Supergirl, Bat
Read this years ago, but I remember that this was a good story.
A prime example of how nutty the DCU can be with origins and background story. The very beginning even starts with Supergirl essentially saying there have been so many past 'incarnations' that she can't figure if she is the real one or not. That all aside, I think this would be a good introductory TPB for someone entering the comic book realm. Easy flowing, good writing, and a fair smattering of how other superheros act in the DCU.
This worked well as Supergirl's first solo adventure. She has some inner demons to deal with, while trying to live up to her potential and Superman's expectations. She goes up against many major villains and eventually must fight a darker part of herself in order to come to terms with who she is and how she can move forward.
Ms. Library
I normally like superhero graphic novels, but this was just not that great. Also, this has some instances of breaking the back. OH THE BOOBS AND TINY WAIST on a fifteen year old. WOOWWW. Anyways, this was okay, but I wanted a little more. Ah well, not everything can be Promethea by Alan Moore.
Too many tie-ins with other superheroes/groups in the middle, but the narrative of Supergirl trying to find her place and fighting against inner darkness was great.
Adam Fisher
It was an alright story. Artwork was great, but story felt really "lets cover the greatest hits of the 'B teams' of DC".
Apr 08, 2015 Mark marked it as sounds-interesting
Supergirl Vol 5 #0-5
Follow-up to Batman/Superman: Supergirl
Will read more of this series.
Riley Barnitz
Riley Barnitz marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2015
Alan Tron
Alan Tron marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2015
  • Supergirl: Candor
  • Wonder Woman: Odyssey, Vol. 1
  • Wonder Woman: Amazons Attack!
  • Wonder Woman, Vol. 1: Who is Wonder Woman?
  • Power Girl, Vol. 1: A New Beginning
  • Superman: New Krypton, Vol. 3
  • Birds of Prey, Vol. 2: Your Kiss Might Kill
  • Wonder Woman: Paradise Found
  • Countdown to Final Crisis, Vol. 4
Joseph "Jeph" Loeb III is an Emmy and WGA nominated American film and television writer, producer and award-winning comic book writer. Loeb was a Co-Executive Producer on the NBC hit show Heroes, and formerly a producer/writer on the TV series Smallville and Lost.

A four-time Eisner Award winner and five-time Wizard Fan Awards winner (see below), Loeb's comic book career includes work on many major
More about Jeph Loeb...

Supergirl (9 books)
  • Supergirl: Candor
  • Supergirl: Identity
  • Supergirl: Beyond Good and Evil
  • Supergirl: Way of the World
  • Supergirl: Who is Superwoman?
  • Supergirl: Friends and Fugitives
  • Supergirl, Vol. 8: Death and the Family
  • Supergirl: Many Happy Returns
Batman: The Long Halloween Batman: Dark Victory Batman: Hush Batman: Hush, Vol. 2 Batman: Hush, Vol. 1